• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Houston Smash Ultimate Thread

Zano

Smash Master
NNID
DuelistZano
yeah I know what you're talking about, dunno if you didn't specifically mention what they were for spoiler purposes.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
I don't want to mention what it does because bad players will never know about it if they get carried anyways.

Zano

Smash Master
NNID
DuelistZano
You have to get pretty far in g rank before you have to worry about those anyway, and g rank in this game makes g rank in 3 ultimate look like low rank, some of this **** is nuts. You can get carried to g rank all you want but you won't be able to do anything there if you can't hold your own.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
I already found people in LR who were obviously carried. My first time online was a Zinogre farming room, and it had a DS user who tried to spam mounts even when it was toppled and otherwise ran around and a Lance user who was average but carted twice. It was frenzied Zinogre vs me with two people who did less work than the Palicos. And neither one had Palicos. Terrible.

I don't consider myself good, but holy crap, at least contribute more than the AI companions.

Last edited:

Zano

Smash Master
NNID
DuelistZano
Hr7 is around the point where players like that get weeded out. No one will even bother trying to deal with them at that point when you have to fight the new stygian zinogre, brute tigrex and the elder dragons from freedom unite

Whispy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LegendaryLui
Now that all the negative energy is out of my head, i want to ask a serious question guys (and i might consider just maining another character and just playing diddy if i play against another really good diddy main.) Ok, so lets say, for Razers sake, and this goes for all brawl players, that snake made it to smash 4. and his moves are similar to brawls movesets but in this case, snake has a really good early kill move, that can be combo'd from his down throw. or maybe a good spike move like, down throw into the (insert spike move here) near the edge which would guarantee a kill. Would you still main snake ? and use that move? or would you avoid it, or consider changing characters because "snake" is now overpowered. and this goes for any other character. like for Xyro's Sake, if Samus all of the sudden had a really major buff that made him top 3 easy. and a very easy chain or combo. i just need yalls feedback pls! im kinda seeing things out. and also, since i started playing competitively literally in the ending days of brawl, (1-2 years before smash 4) i never knew if ice climber players were hated on? since they have that chain grab infinite. yeah, and my bad if i came out as a bad person, im really not. im cool and open for considerations.

Last edited:

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
Now that all the negative energy is out of my head, i want to ask a serious question guys (and i might consider just maining another character and just playing diddy if i play against another really good diddy main.) Ok, so lets say, for Razers sake, and this goes for all brawl players, that snake made it to smash 4. and his moves are similar to brawls movesets but in this case, snake has a really good early kill move, that can be combo'd from his down throw. or maybe a good spike move like, down throw into the (insert spike move here) near the edge which would guarantee a kill. Would you still main snake ? and use that move? or would you avoid it, or consider changing characters because "snake" is now overpowered. and this goes for any other character. like for Xyro's Sake, if Samus all of the sudden had a really major buff that made him top 3 easy. and a very easy chain or combo. i just need yalls feedback pls! im kinda seeing things out. and also, since i started playing competitively literally in the ending days of brawl, (1-2 years before smash 4) i never knew if ice climber players were hating on? since they have that chain grab infinite. yeah, and my bad if i came out as a bad person, im really not. im cool and open for considerations.
You are not a bad person.
Stay diddy.

Have a nice day.

UltimateRazer

Smash Champion
You good Whispy. We know you're a cool dude.

Anyways, that's just a weird hypothetical. But, I wouldn't play basing off just one strategy. While it would net me wins for sure, it would also help you lose. A better play who just out right camps you or times you out will beat it out. You could a lot more options by being more aggressive in some ways. Not saying to be 100% aggressive cause not all people can do it.

Knife8193

Smash Journeyman
NNID
omar8193
Now that all the negative energy is out of my head, i want to ask a serious question guys (and i might consider just maining another character and just playing diddy if i play against another really good diddy main.) Ok, so lets say, for Razers sake, and this goes for all brawl players, that snake made it to smash 4. and his moves are similar to brawls movesets but in this case, snake has a really good early kill move, that can be combo'd from his down throw. or maybe a good spike move like, down throw into the (insert spike move here) near the edge which would guarantee a kill. Would you still main snake ? and use that move? or would you avoid it, or consider changing characters because "snake" is now overpowered. and this goes for any other character. like for Xyro's Sake, if Samus all of the sudden had a really major buff that made him top 3 easy. and a very easy chain or combo. i just need yalls feedback pls! im kinda seeing things out. and also, since i started playing competitively literally in the ending days of brawl, (1-2 years before smash 4) i never knew if ice climber players were hating on? since they have that chain grab infinite. yeah, and my bad if i came out as a bad person, im really not. im cool and open for considerations.
People didn't like Brawl Ice Climber that much, but the hate was less considering it took a lot more tech than say MK to 0 death someone. For me personally, whether Link becomes terrible in the next Smash or gets ridiculously buffed in the next Smash, I would still play him just because I personally liked him. Depending on who they add to the roster or how they change up current character's attributes, I may end up playing another character as well. For you, I say keep repping Diddy man whether it's to win more matches or personally like him, it really shouldn't matter to most of us. It's the game's fault the character is unbalanced, not yours.

z00ted

The Assault of Laughter ﷼
Whispy, you don't even need to be asking us those kind of questions. Just play smash and have fun. It's the only way a player reaches their full potential. No one other than yourself should decide your main. Everyone here plays the game to "have fun" but you can always tell who's truly having a blast with what they're doing. Usually top level players who have kept an open-mind from the start and accepted what they have to overcome all while sticking to their guns on what they know works for them.

If you have fun playing an overpowered character that you know people are gonna complain about then still play that character. Stomp them into the ground, give them even more of a reason to complain other than you being "predictable" or "uncreative". Push them to get better through how you bend the game's difficulties with your character. Demand respect and you'll eventually gain it some way or another.

BC went through hell and back yet still plays Villager. Started off with a bang, kinda fell off for a bit too.. but now he's back and placing better than ever with the most recent results from TGC. I never once heard BC fall to any kind of hate that was thrown at him (TRUST me it was given) and it shows in his results. Always laughed and still had a good time with whatever he knew he was doing, while still trying to mix it up and find new outlets on how to approach situations. Half of Smash is being technically "good", yeah. But the other half is how you react to your community's feedback on what you're doing and how it affects your mindset. The decisions you make based off of it all. Try and learn from that.

Last edited:

z00ted

You lose then. Thanks for the $25.

Last edited:

z00ted

Stop posting.
I literally am the best poster next to Onion, P4, Tesh and Zori.

Worst posters? You, Xyro and Espy.

Teshie U

Smash Lord
Whispy if people don't like the way you play you should do everything in your power to make them like you. Otherwise you are killing the game and the scene and the fun.

Teshie U

Smash Lord
I played a guy on anthers ladder who was running that. Quite frankly DK is still free to projectiles anyway, but it does make him hilariously resilient.

z00ted

There's definitely ways to beat it. Watch a set where Dabuz plays Will, the move only has two hits at the beginning and end with a windbox that pulls in. It's crazy how some of Houston's top level players or leaders give up on custom related stuff so easily.

I've been playing customs for the past week or so and this game is 500x better with them on. Kirby, Falco, Little Mac, Bowser Jr, Pikachu, Shulk, DK, Samus, Dr. Mario, Ganon, Palutena, Villager - the list goes on, so many characters become much more entertaining to both play and watch (aside from a camping Villager) with customs legal. Also Sheik's customs are incredibly cool, her grenade has utility in pulling in and you can confirm combos or a kill move off of it. Plus it activates through the player, not a set time. Her needles only throw 3 but they have incredible shield breaking stabs and fly out super quickly (drawback is lack of range).

EVO is going to be so much fun to watch, just wait and see.

Xyro, I know you're not for customs and probably will never legalize them for the main event but what about side events like you talked about earlier in some of our convos? I feel like that'd help your attendance even more in all events because people are so willing to see what they can do with them. There's also a way to unlock all customs through a Power Save on the 3DS as well as just hooking up a turbo controller with Ganon and holding down "A" under a certain target smash overnight. Wake up to like 100+ customs easily.

ZeRo's doing a custom research session right now through youtube playlists, I'd suggest you guys check some of them out beause he throws in some great commentary over how he feels they'd promote the metagame. The more he gives them a chance the more he's in favor of them, and that's pretty cool to see considering he didn't want them to begin with.

Check out Kirby's! Almost like a brand new character.

AmazingAmpharos is also doing this beautifully designed project in where he standardizes custom moves through the most efficient and optimal "sets" that character boards create themselves.

You can find it here: http://smashboards.com/threads/official-standard-custom-moveset-project-initial-release.381395/

Through this dude's work I feel like customs aren't even a logistics issue anymore. Just know your set and you're fine. Add in the fact that they're becoming so much more easier to unlock through means that we're finding as the game grows older and I feel like they'll be 85% legalized across the nation come the end of this year. Online tournaments and even the allisbrawl ladder are now consistently testing them without any issues. Players at home are beginning to see them as the norm.

Smash 4's becoming more and more fun to me I just have to play it "my way" and not care about what the community thinks until they eventually see the light. I'll still stand strong to my opinion and voice it, just have to keep a positive mindset on what the game excels at and where it's drawbacks are apparent.

Oh yeah.. Houston, meet your first :4sheik: main ^^.

Last edited:

z00ted

Literally one move and your arguments are lazy.
What's wrong with Dabuz beating Will? He's better than you? Welcome to Smash 4.

You're effing stupid.

Last edited:

UltimateRazer

Smash Champion
Try all of Villager's too. One character that will **** on a ton of people because of how jank it is.

Also, all my 3DS were destroyed in a pool of acid. Want to come over and unlock all of mine for me? It'll take you countless hours. BRO

z00ted

Try all of Villager's too. One character that will **** on a ton of people because of how jank it is.

Also, all my 3DS were destroyed in a pool of acid. Want to come over and unlock all of mine for me? It'll take you countless hours. BRO
Trip sapling is debatable, can be banned if it gets bad enough but it's way easier than Metaknight on a ledge or two bananas.
Sure. It'll take me less than four minutes with a Power Save.

Top Bottom