• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Houston Smash Ultimate Thread

GaiustheThief

Smash Ace
NNID
GaiustheThief
3DS FC
5343-8142-6721
That's just how Xyro is sometimes man chill
Being angry won't solve anything

kj22

Smash Lord
NNID
openupyourworld
hahaha 15 viewers we're getting views guys!!

But seriously, top tiers in general are hated in most games, fact of life. Rational or irrational, it's gonna happen. Not saying it's right but getting downright salty about the way things are won't change anything, using that salt to fuel your efforts into a better player will though.

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
Diddy is

So this is how you treat "Low skill, low iq players" that dont have smashboards? just talk behind their backs?
I have zero issues saying it to your face, if that is what you prefer. So, I apologize if my digital words representing my digital opinion on a digital site aimed at people who like pokemans punching konkey dongs offended you sooooooo much that you feel "unwelcome."

It's just that, like with brawl MK, smash 4 has a very low skill character that dishes out obscene reward for minimal effort/reads/risk. People who are not good at smash tend to use these characters to cover that fact.

I know more than a few people (high level players) will back me on this when I say I truly feel like it takes far less skill/intelligence to DThrow to Uair and KO nearly every character at 80% than it does to main Link, DuckHunt, Pac, marth....etc.

If all this is what you call backstabbing, then I fear for you in college or jobs or real life. You will be judged by the way you dress, walk, talk and act. You will be judged by the phone you use and the vehicle you drive. Smashboards and our nerdy opinions should be the least of your worries. It's a video game lolololol.

Last edited:

Whispy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LegendaryLui
Hate the character, NOT the player, especially dont insult me. i did nothing wrong with picking a character i loved since the early years of brawl, when i played just for fun. seeing diddy kong and snake in smash was a dream come true. people were saying that diddy kong was going to be nerfed bad and blah blah but i didnt care, i still wanted to play as him, and now im getting ****ted on because of a character i love.

Knife8193

Smash Journeyman
NNID
omar8193
That is to be kept secret to me :)

Anyways, is anyone going to Aftershock on the 28th?
Probably not for me.

-It's $45.
-Due to the nature of my work, its hard to get so many weekends off in a row, and I'd rather go to SFC1 the week before and SAM 3 the week after.
-Its 2 days (though I don't think I have a good chance to make top cut, at least not right now)
-Not the best ruleset
-Its mega stacked
-Its 5 hours away
-Other johns

As for the discussion on using better characters if you want to win, it's pretty much true. This game is not that balanced. But this is true for any game with characters with unique attributes. I choose to play Link not because I think he's good or anything (though I don't think he's BAD as some people think he is), I just really like the character. I'm pretty sure if I picked up and practiced Shiek (because that's the only high tier I actually like other than maybe Lucario), I would do a lot better. I just also have a thing for repping underdogs. And I'm sure I have a lot more improving to do as a player as well to rep Link better. If any of you follow Pokemon VGC, I got 6th of 200+ at the Missouri regionals with a super weird TR team. There's a ton of overcentralizing/common Pokemon (namely Mega Kang and Lando-T). Except in Pokemon, most players don't ***** about Mega Kangaskhan being broken, they deal with it. Smash needs to take a lesson from the Pokemon community in this regard.

But then again, Mega Kang took a lot of **** early on, but people eventually learned to live with it and that why Will-O-Wisps and Intimidates are so common in the metagame now. That's how I feel Diddy will end up. He's definitely not Brawl MK and while he is 10x easier to pick up and requires much less tech, people will eventually learn to deal with him. We are still in the metagame's early stages. Though I would definitely welcome a patch.

Last edited:

Xyro77

Hate the character, NOT the player, especially dont insult me. i did nothing wrong with picking a character i loved since the early years of brawl, when i played just for fun. seeing diddy kong and snake in smash was a dream come true. people were saying that diddy kong was going to be nerfed bad and blah blah but i didnt care, i still wanted to play as him, and now im getting ****ted on because of a character i love.
I don't hate you at all. I don't know you personally but you seem to be a really cool guy by all accounts.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
I have zero issues saying it to your face, if that is what you prefer. So, I apologize if my digital words representing my digital opinion on a digital site aimed at people who like pokemans punching konkey dongs offended you sooooooo much that you feel "unwelcome."

It's just that, like with brawl MK, smash 4 has a very low skill character that dishes out obscene reward for minimal effort/reads/risk. People who are not good at smash tend to use these characters to cover that fact.

I know more than a few people (high level players) will back me on this when I say I truly feel like it takes far less skill/intelligence to DThrow to Uair and KO nearly every character at 80% than it does to main Link, DuckHunt, Pac, marth....etc.

If all this is what you call backstabbing, then I fear for you in college or jobs or real life. You will be judged by the way you dress, walk, talk and act. You will be judged by the phone you use and the vehicle you drive. Smashboards and our nerdy opinions should be the least of your worries. It's a video game lolololol.
I would be surprised to see even you call someone you know "low IQ" based off of a money-making decision. I know your point was "brain dead character", I'm honestly not surprised to see you not at least rescinding/apologising on that point of your intentions, but doesn't mean a person shouldn't expect it.

Sept-negatives are totally not the wrong way to do things in the meta.

Last edited:

Whispy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LegendaryLui

It's just that, like with brawl MK, smash 4 has a very low skill character that dishes out obscene reward for minimal effort/reads/risk.

you just...connected it with real life... like im not aware of being judged outdoors etc. what im trying to get across is why this thread of people are insultive with a person they hardly know? like, im not a danm robot. i just expected more positive things out of this group. and dont get me wrong, i know yall have positive comments from time to time and help each other. but dont call me a low iq player. thats the worst thing you can say to someone.

Xyro77

I would be surprised to see even you call someone you know "low IQ" based off of a money-making decision. I know your point was "brain dead character", I'm honestly not surprised to see you not at least rescinding/apologising on that point of your intentions, but doesn't mean a person shouldn't expect it.
Would you reword that or give examples? that went waaaaay over my head. you gotta remember, im just a dude from the backwoods where beaver corn and ant hills are saturday night highlights.

Xyro77

you just...connected it with real life... like im not aware of being judged outdoors etc. what im trying to get across is why this thread of people are insultive with a person they hardly know? like, im not a danm robot. i just expected more positive things out of this group. and dont get me wrong, i know yall have positive comments from time to time and help each other. but dont call me a low iq player. thats the worst thing you can say to someone.
read more than just the past 4 pages. you entered at a bad time. this thread/community is awesome and nice. always has been.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Would you reword that or give examples? that went waaaaay over my head. you gotta remember, im just a dude from the backwoods where beaver corn and ant hills are saturday night highlights.
DOUBLE NEGATIVE
TRIPLE NEGATIVE
QUADRAAAAAAAAAA NEGATIVE
... penta negative...

You wouldn't say something like "you're low IQ" to someone you know, I would be very surprised to see you do so, especially if they're the ones making money / doing well in tournament. Your point was "diddy is brain dead" but you made the literary choice of expressing that as "this player using Diddy is brain dead". Obviously the person in question would expect an apology, it just shouldn't be surprising to them (or us) that you wouldn't give it directly (although I would say in this case you kinda have <3).

Knife8193

Smash Journeyman
NNID
omar8193
DOUBLE NEGATIVE
TRIPLE NEGATIVE
QUADRAAAAAAAAAA NEGATIVE
... penta negative...

You wouldn't say something like "you're low IQ" to someone you know, I would be very surprised to see you do so, especially if they're the ones making money / doing well in tournament. Your point was "diddy is brain dead" but you made the literary choice of expressing that as "this player using Diddy is brain dead". Obviously the person in question would expect an apology, it just shouldn't be surprising to them (or us) that you wouldn't give it directly (although I would say in this case you kinda have <3).
Xyro says that about any good Diddy player that's not Fliphop. I remember him calling the Dallas Diddys that. He probably just says it as a reflex at this point.

Xyro77

DOUBLE NEGATIVE
TRIPLE NEGATIVE
QUADRAAAAAAAAAA NEGATIVE
... penta negative...

I have no problem saying that stuff to people. I did it in brawl with MK. its my opinion and i shouldnt have to filter/censor my views because babies cant handle it. god knows they didnt censor/filt the hoo-ha they did to me since the dawn of this game's release. its only fair.

im not seeing an issue here.

people have opinions. people express those opinions. not everyone will agree or like those opinions. case closed.

Last edited:

Teshie U

Smash Lord
Picking Diddy Kong is actually proof that he is making good decisions at the first possible moment. Not everyone gets off on struggling needlessly.

If his playstyle is repetitive, feel free to blame yourself for falling for the same thing every time. And if his tactics are repetitive and overpowered, feel free to hate the game, not the player. Sometimes repetitive and annoying is actually wise and optimal.

Teshie U

Smash Lord
except that no one on earth has gotten around down throw to uair.
You can blame yourself for getting grabbed.
You can blame yourself for picking a bad character and having to be right 3 times as often as your opponent.

If you have exhausted all in game resources you can the blame yourself for playing this game.

Xyro77

You can blame yourself for getting grabbed.
You can blame yourself for picking a bad character and having to be right 3 times as often as your opponent.

If you have exhausted all in game resources you can the blame yourself for playing this game.
Then I guess we should let diddy run rampant and blame ourselves/the game.

Oh wait.....lol no that didn't work in brawl and it won't work here.

Last edited:

Knife8193

Smash Journeyman
NNID
omar8193
I mean there are things we as a community can do prevent the game from being too centralized and thus preserving some balance. Banning Diddy could be that answer, so I'm not completely taking that off the table. Understandably players who do not want to wait for eventual action/inaction will just drop out of the meta.

It's too early to really have this discussion. I say wait until the Mewtwo patch and see if something major changes, the chance of another patch happening after that is 1% so at that point we will know what the game really is wondering about any future changes. If Diddy's hoohah was removed, it wouldn't really be the end of the world for Diddy mains, he still has a lot of good tools and frame data.

Last edited:

z00ted

The Assault of Laughter ﷼
Xyro confirmed for Villager

Last edited:
Top Bottom