• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Houston Smash Ultimate Thread

RuslinJimmies

Smash Journeyman
Really random, but could anyone potentially house a friend and I from Louisiana? Dropping money for a hotel would totally make this tourney out of reach for us. We will be the best house guests ever. And provide some good completion in pm, melee, 64, and brawl

Airbrush_King

Smash Ace
(TGC) Texas Gaming Championships Announcement: For those who missed the announcement on the MLG.Tv stream the new championship series is called Texas Gaming Championships. TGC is a professional video game championship series featuring the best players in Texas competing in variety of tournaments to see who is the best. TGC events will feature top player rankings in Super Smash Bros Wii U/3DS, Ultra Street Fighter 4, Pokemon X & Y, Ultimate Marvel Vs Capcom 3, Mario Kart 8, Killer Instinct. TGC will also feature a BYOC (Bring Your Own Console) area and any game that has more than 8 entrants will qualify for running a tournament. If the any game gets more than 16 players or more consistently I will add it to the official game lineup. The benefits of it being added to the official game lineup is rankings and sponsorship. If you are in the top rankings you will get media coverage such being in articles, tv, etc. For sponsorship for the games, sponsors will give out money and prizes to the official lineup of games and they will have priority. Space in the BYOC area will be limited so this is a 1st come 1st serve. Our 1st TGC event is projected to be Feb 2015. We realize the potential of growth in these events so I want to introduce Tournament Helpers. I will be creating a list of venues to host these events and have a few in mind. This and more is what I can bring to the table as long as we get everyone's support. For more details and announcements click like on our like page at https://www.facebook.com/TexasGamingChampionships and stay tuned for updates!

Tournament Helpers: A tournament helper will help run the brackets and make sure the tournament is being run on time. We always will be looking for Tournament Helpers and volunteers so if you are interested contact me at www.tgcseries.com/contact-us

TGC Tournament Leaders: AirbrushKing and Xyro/Allan Sims. ABK will be running Ultimate Marvel Vs Capcom 3 and Xyro will be running Smash Bros Wii U/3DS.

TGC Helpers: Sylint/Justin Brown - Ultra Street Fighter 4
Quince Easter - Killer Instinct
Sync or Player 4 - Pokemon X & Y
Rocket Trainer - Mario Kart 8

#1: Magazine Coverage: Young Houston Magazine is a magazine that covers fashion, music entertainment and much more. They currently do not have a gaming section in there magazine but i brought the idea to the CEO of the magazine and he is interested in doing a article featuring the top ranking players. I have a graphics team that will create the graphic layout for the magazine and these magazines will be available for print and online. Once the 1st issue of the magazine is out with TGC being featured I have a some more magazine company's who are interested in this idea as well. This will add a new audience and gain new readers which will turn into new players being added to the Texas Gaming scene.

#2: Tv Coverage: Fox 26 and Channel 11 are interested in covering TGC events. I have other stations that I been in contact with and will make an announcement at a later time.

#3: Mobile App: Me and my team are creating a TGC mobile app. This app will feature top player rankings, events, announcements, livestream and much more. This app will be on 3 platforms Android, iOS and Windows. In this app will feature a share button so you can share it with all your friends and contacts in your phone.

#4: Sponsors: Devry University was one of my 1st sponsors and sponsored a TYS event with prizes and prepaid visa credit cards. I have been talking to alot of sponsors and getting close to deals so once everything is set in stone I will be making some announcements so stay tuned!

#5: Press: I will be talking to the Houston Press, Newspaper, Greensheet and other press sources about featuring TGC as an article. I can see about getting TGC on the cover as well. I got the cover of the Houston Press back in 2012 so this is possible.

#6: Radio: I have alot of friends that work at 97.9 the box and will be talking to them and other radio stations about TGC.

SandTrap

Smash Rookie
Hey, so I haven't played Smash in a long while but I'm interested in getting back into it. I had a few questions:

1.) I was trying to find information about tournaments here, but I see a lot of discussion on stuff that's not even related to the Smash games...is there a main Houston Smash thread, or am I at the right place?

2.) I read that Brawl is now dead and everyone's excited for Smash 4, but why exactly is Brawl dead when Smash 4 appears to have some of the same mechanics as only Brawl does (ex: the way air dodges work, speed/duration of spot dodge/rolls, etc.)? I would have figured that players would be practicing the Smash game that has the closest relation to the new game; isn't Brawl the closest based on the most recent gameplay videos available so far?

3.) Is there a way to find out about tournaments in the Houston area that can be easily seen, as opposed to reading through the whole thread? I'm sorry if this is a dumb question, I just haven't been here in quite a long while.

I would appreciate any help!

Pikabunz

Smash Hero
NNID
Pikabunz
3DS FC
1134-8730-8374
Were you that Peach main from long long ago? Xyro usually puts up any upcoming tournaments in the thread title. And Brawl is pretty much dead because of Melee and Project: M being more popular.

Last edited:

SandTrap

Smash Rookie
I was a Jigglypuff main in Melee, and played Metaknight/Peach/Lucario/Falco in Brawl.

Oic, thanks for the info. I was hoping there would be weeklies or at least some tournament to practice for to get back into the Smash mindset before the next Smash game came out, but looks like Whobo was the last one.

UltimateRazer

Smash Champion
Smash 4 seems to be a fresh start. It won't be completely like Brawl as Nintendo has said they're trying to make it more competitive than Brawl. Stuff does look different and there's optimism for the game. Brawl has died down for a number of reasons. In TX, I'd say because of traveling distance and Brawl being such a bad game competitively.

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
Smash 4 does not have tripping
Smash 4 is faster than brawl

Already a better game.

I'll announce more events and redo the front page in a few days now that the new tournament series has been announced.

KRDsonic

Smash Master
I was a Jigglypuff main in Melee, and played Metaknight/Peach/Lucario/Falco in Brawl.

Oic, thanks for the info. I was hoping there would be weeklies or at least some tournament to practice for to get back into the Smash mindset before the next Smash game came out, but looks like Whobo was the last one.
I once counterpicked you with Bowser on Halberd.

You went Meta Knight.

That was a sad day.

Also, were you the person who almost had their backpack stolen back at the Fun Plex venue?

:059:

Zano

Smash Master
NNID
DuelistZano
so while you're still not banned.

What is that cat thing you keep using in all your alts, I never felt like looking it up

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
New McD's mascot

Last edited:

Fliphopper

Smash Lord
REDMOND, Wash.–(BUSINESS WIRE)– Nintendo invites fans in the Los Angeles area to attend and observe the first-ever public tournament of its new Super Smash Bros. for Wii U.

On Tuesday, June 10, Nintendo will welcome 16 previously selected highly skilled Super Smash Bros. players to NOKIA Theatre L.A. LIVE in Los Angeles to celebrate Super Smash Bros. fan culture and find out who will emerge victorious on the big stage. The Super Smash Bros. Invitational will entertain thousands of spectators in person, and will also be live-streamed on both Twitch’s E3 channel and Nintendo’s Twitch channel to let countless others around the world be among the first to see the new game in action.

As a special treat for the biggest fans, attendees who dress up as their favorite Super Smash Bros. characters may be selected for priority seating right in front of the stage on which the tournament will occur. The event will be photographed and filmed, so the best costumes might appear on Twitch or Nintendo’s YouTube channel, where the event can also be viewed.

Here are the details for Tuesday, June 10: 9:30 a.m.: Wristband distribution begins at NOKIA Plaza at L.A. LIVE, 777 Chick Hearn Court in Los Angeles.

A wristband is required for entry, and 3,000 wristbands are available to Nintendo fans on a first-come, first-served basis, while supplies last. Fans are requested to not line up prior to Tuesday morning. Once a wristband is obtained, fans can leave the plaza area and then return later that day, closer to the start of the event. The order that wristbands are obtained in the morning does not impact the order of entry into the venue in the afternoon. 2:30 p.m.: Doors open 4 p.m.: Super Smash Bros. Invitational begins Super Smash Bros. for Wii U is scheduled to launch during the winter of 2014, while the Nintendo 3DS version is targeted for this summer.

For more information about the Super Smash Bros. Invitational, visit http://e3.nintendo.com/#2014/tournament.

Getting good!

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
I hope everyone who goes plays a different character...not just 10 Little Macs and some Mega Mans.

Last edited:

AeroLink_the_SoulMaster

Let's rock, baby!
^^^ This. However, I'm going to be trying the game out at one of the Best Buy stores, so I guess I can watch later, unless Best Buy will be showing the stream (that'd be great).

Xyro77

I dont care about demos nor cosplay. i just wanna know who the 16 invites go to.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
They probably signed a NDA, so they probably can't say anything without risk of getting uninvited.

The Last Fujin

Banned via Warnings
Sucks mods are banning Fuujin. That post and his gifs were brilliant.
For the mother enemy or whatever it iz.
The Red Tyrants are always trying to oppress me.

They can't bring a good sis down though.

And my gifs are why Xyro is so scared to do a gif battle.
All he has is random reddit gifs that have no context to his post what so ever.

I mean I come to ha home thread and call ha out and she's to scared to even fight back

Maybe I should stop, picking on the weaker and inferior just makes me a bully.

After all I already embarrassed and PunchedT her out of the Zelda boards after clocking her there.

I feel a biT bad though so let me stop.

Xyro77

Warning Received
You are a joke and the mods dispose of you before I have time do **** on your terrible tumblr gifs.

I am known sea to shining sea as a master of the gif. You are **** and will be flushed if we ever do battle.

Last edited by a moderator:

The Last Fujin

Banned via Warnings
You have time to type this out yet not enough to find one of your random gifs?

also reported for censor dodging.

Xyro77

Test post.

i am a huge baby who cried and cowered in fear of the big bad mods.

I had the scare of my life.

At least now I'll know not to mess with Fujin, for he had me crying in fear of getting punchedT out by the mods

Fliphopper

Smash Lord
WiiU.png

Looks amazing. Hopefully it has no latency issues.

Edit, Looks like it hard connects to the system.. HYPE Probably going to cost like 15-20 dollars?

Last edited:

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
That's fine.

I just hope that it comes bundled with that black controller. I bet it does.

Would buy instantly.

Fliphopper

Smash Lord
If Nintendo is making that one, I wonder if the one PDP is making is entirely different.

Top Bottom