• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Hot Dickings! Jan 30th - 31st! 2010, STL MO. BONUS POT (1/24/10 with LIVESTREAM)

alt-F4

Smash Ace
sounds reasonable milk, i just like the idea of stuff involving all the stl smash crew cause that would allow me to get in the vid while still maintaining my ****ty playing status ;P

MJG

Smash Hero
can someone explain to me how selecting characters works before and after matches im really confused?
Before any matches are played, each opponent will select a character (They do not have to stay with that character, they can change their character before the match starts)

But it is usually best to go with your best character instead of trying to go with a character that you are decent with or who you think will "counter" your opponent's character easily.

After the first match is played. The winner of the first match will ban a stage that they think their opponent will take them to (Example: Lets say im using Snake and my opponent is using MK, I will most likely ban RC because it gives the MK user an advantage over myself, the snake player, because of MK's multiple jumps, broken moves *lol*, etc.) The loser will then choose their stage that they are going to take their opponent to and then the winner will select his character (or he can stay with his character that he would like to keep) and then the loser will choose his character and the next match will be played.

The entire set is based off of a "Best 2 out of 3" (outside of Winners, Losers and Grand Finals)

Italianman25B

Smash Rookie
Haha thanks that makes alot more sense now. i wasnt sure if u could counter pick on the first character or not, it seems someone could be really gay and counterpick the whole time

MJG

Smash Hero
Ha ya..If you are aware of your opponents best character, you can strike a stage that will be in your favor for your character against your opponents character (no stage will really give you that big of an advantage during the first match, but its still good to know which stages will fit you best against a certain character).

As for the seven neutrals in this tourney, most people will get rid of FD against me first, due to my character being somewhat campy. So its good to be comfortable with all of the possible neutrals that you can be playing on. Winning the first match is REALLY important.

Italianman25B

Smash Rookie
i see.... also can u tell me where to find the smash youtube page or whatever its called?
mjg are u really good do u win these things? i saw ur name on the tentative attendies thing

TP

Smash Master
Italianman, come to the STL Area Discussion thread and introduce yourself. We always like new players. ^_^

:034:

PEEF!

Smash Hero
Before any matches are played, each opponent will select a character (They do not have to stay with that character, they can change their character before the match starts)

But it is usually best to go with your best character instead of trying to go with a character that you are decent with or who you think will "counter" your opponent's character easily.

After the first match is played. The winner of the first match will ban a stage that they think their opponent will take them to (Example: Lets say im using Snake and my opponent is using MK, I will most likely ban RC because it gives the MK user an advantage over myself, the snake player, because of MK's multiple jumps, broken moves *lol*, etc.) The loser will then choose their stage that they are going to take their opponent to and then the winner will select his character (or he can stay with his character that he would like to keep) and then the loser will choose his character and the next match will be played.

The entire set is based off of a "Best 2 out of 3" (outside of Winners, Losers and Grand Finals)
Yeah haha this is not entirely right.

You cannot "change your character" before the match starts in the sense that you cannot just counter their character. The other person can just ask for a double blind and character will be chosen and cannot be reversed until after the first match.

MJG

Smash Hero
Yeah haha this is not entirely right.

You cannot "change your character" before the match starts in the sense that you cannot just counter their character. The other person can just ask for a double blind and character will be chosen and cannot be reversed until after the first match.
I probably should have made this clearer BUT. Lets say im moving my cursor over to my main and I accidently select a character that I was not intending on using, what then? I was implying that you can change your character after stages are striked.

MJG

Smash Hero
What rich was referring to earlier is that each opponent will choose the character that they will start with without their opponents knowing and I "think" that they have to tell a TO/Judge at the tourney.

I have never had to do this but it is there for a reason

The Milk Monster

Smash Champion
Yeah Double Blind is each person tells the TO/Judge who they are picking, to avoid counterpicking gays.

I've only been subject to one, and Metal did it at Aerial Rave Major 2. It's helpful.

Italianman, you coming to this?

Also every one, I have been thinking INCREDIBLY hard about the documentary, and have a few ideas, I just need you guys to help.

I need to know which people I should interview (Which will probably be done during the break/after the tourney is over and friendlies are going on.) Everyone wishing to be in the video, I please STRONGLY ask for your cooperation. (If I ask you to come over so I can ask you some questions, please don't tell me "Hold on a minute." a million times. I have a lot of stuff I need to get recorded, I can't afford to waste time.

Also in the beginning when I do my speech, all I ask is if you pay attention for a measly 5 to 7 minutes. Your friendlies/warm ups can wait a minute, I just want to announce everything to EVERYONE at once so there is less likelihood of confusion.

PEEF!

Smash Hero
I probably should have made this clearer BUT. Lets say im moving my cursor over to my main and I accidently select a character that I was not intending on using, what then? I was implying that you can change your character after stages are striked.
No, you cannot change character after stages are struck. Characters are chosen, either by agreement or double blind, then that is in stone once you move to striking. Stages are struck, and then match is played without the ability to change characters.

Hey, does anyone want to volunteer to give me online friendlies once I get my wii fixed? I can't go to this w/o having played Brawl for a month :(
Yes you can.

MJG

Smash Hero
^Sigh. I never said this

Unless my opponent has something up there ***, there gonna let me choose the character that they know im going to use (Most people know that I will go toon link 100% of the time)

EDIT: I meant to say "before" instead of "after". Now I see the confusion.
@FAE: AIB is your best bet

Dart

Smash Lord
careful if you play peef he might go super gay and not let you switch. he did that to one of my friends who ***** him at SMYM10

Italianman25B

Smash Rookie
Yeah Double Blind is each person tells the TO/Judge who they are picking, to avoid counterpicking gays.

I've only been subject to one, and Metal did it at Aerial Rave Major 2. It's helpful.

Italianman, you coming to this?

Also every one, I have been thinking INCREDIBLY hard about the documentary, and have a few ideas, I just need you guys to help.

I need to know which people I should interview (Which will probably be done during the break/after the tourney is over and friendlies are going on.) Everyone wishing to be in the video, I please STRONGLY ask for your cooperation. (If I ask you to come over so I can ask you some questions, please don't tell me "Hold on a minute." a million times. I have a lot of stuff I need to get recorded, I can't afford to waste time.

Also in the beginning when I do my speech, all I ask is if you pay attention for a measly 5 to 7 minutes. Your friendlies/warm ups can wait a minute, I just want to announce everything to EVERYONE at once so there is less likelihood of confusion.
Yes i intend on going to this along with a friend or two we have only played with each other with the exception of on ogre games tourney but we have gotten much better since then our only previous brawl inspiration was youtube were trying to brach out

The Milk Monster

Smash Champion
Yeah FAE can't play many people offline, except these tourneys mostly.

kk Italian Man cool. Which Ogre's did you go to? I've went to all of them, cause I hosted them, lol.

Italianman25B

Smash Rookie
i went to one of the summer tourneys i saw u and MMM and some chick who plays peach and future whos a prick lol...... i main falco and secondary diddy, DDD, bowser, and lucario sometimes link or MK

The Milk Monster

Smash Champion
lol Future isn't a prick, he's just playing the IC's like they are meant to be played.

The people you saw were me, Metal, Nicole, and Future, lol.

If you play Future and he chain grabs you, don't get mad about it, it's your fault for getting grabbed, that's normal in competitive play.

Just don't get grabbed.

The Milk Monster

Smash Champion
If you play offensively, then yeah it's hard not to get grabbed.

If you play Defensively and stay away from him, not getting grabbed isn't that hard.

But I won't tell you how to play, it's not my place.

If you want to fight an IC's correctly on the other hand, yeah, stay away from them.

Teh Future

Smash Master
lol its like "hey guys whats up Im new to the scene and THAT GUYS A DICKKKKK cause he beat me" loolololololooolllllllllllllllloooooooooooooooooooolollo everyones gonna like you now

also screaming only worked the first time it doesn't bother me anymore, the only reason I'll ever drop a grab is cause Im dumb and practicing is boring. Also Im pretty sure mjg would like 2 stock me cause Tl has like 287 projectiles and thats sooooOOOOOoOooooooo annoying lol

Teh Future

Smash Master
milk can we ban falco cgs? they are soooooo broken i bet falcos cnt even win if they don cg

he also shouldnt be allowed to laaser imo they make his camping game too good.

also mk is dumb lets ban him.

snake uptilt? gtfo banned.

D3 cg? cgings gay so les bamn it nao i can play SMAMUS.

lets just plai low tires they are moar fun anywais

Top Bottom