• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Hit You Again- RIT's got hype 4/10

darkoblivion12

Smash Lord
Alright guys, RIT's Electronic Gaming Society and Smash Club are hosting a tournament on April 10th. Get hyped! Unlike past trashy EGS smash tournaments, this is going to be legitimate, cuz I'm making the rules.

Finally I've got EGS to agree to this. I set up the rules with them last night, and we have a room reserved. The room is the SAU room 1829, or for those who don't feel like searching, it's across the hall from where Smash club was meeting last quarter. For people that need the building address: 1 Lomb Memorial Dr, Rochester, NY 14623
http://facilities.rit.edu/campus/maps/general/generallarge.gif
Once you get to RIT I suggest parking in U lot or D lot. And the tournament is in building 4.

Signups will start at 12:00. Tournament will begin at 1:00 and run until we're done. We will have singles for Melee and Brawl, each will be $5 per person, or $3 if you're a member of EGS.

A couple of things before the rules: I will not be running this, but I'll essentially be the TO. EGS won't let me participate and run it, so they will be running it.

UPDATE: Payouts are 50% to first place 30% to second place with EGS takes the other 20%. Also note: these payouts are not immediate. please be patient with EGS, they're not allowed to give out money, only debit cards.

Because of the presence (I'm assuming) of a number of scrubs, I'm going to be allowing coaching.

Also, any player to play against the Smasher known as "Foy" must play Zelda.

My contact info:
AIM: darkoblivion4327
email: CTT990@yahoo.com
phone: 201-919-4175
facebook: Matthew Caine
smash tag: PYRO

I am always on AIM, I constantly check my email, urgent messages should be sent there because I don't troll smashboards 24/7. If it's not urgent, PM me and I'll get back to you by the end of the day.

WE NEED SETUPS
We will have 3 melee, 3 brawl setups, but we'll need more. Bring whatever you can except brawl+. EGS strictly forbids brawl+ and similar hacks. Infinite replay hacks and similar things are fine. Texture Hacks are forbidden.

Melee
Super Smash Brothers: Melee (Singles)
Stage List

Singles

Starter Stage List:

* Dream Land: Fountain of Dreams
* Past Stages: Dream Land
* Special Stages: Final Destination
* Special Stages: Battlefield
* Yoshi's Island: Yoshi's Story

Counter Stage List:

* Kanto: Pokemon Stadium
* Planet Zebes: Brinstar
* Mushroom Kingdom: Rainbow Cruise
* Past Stages: Kongo Jungle
*Corneria (debatable)
*Pokefloats (debatable)

General Rules

* Items are set to off.
* Stock and Time are set to 4 stock and 8 minutes respectively.
* Regular sets are best of 3 matches.
* The Tournament Host is the arbiter of all disputes.
* Blind Picks: the first character selection of a set must be without prior knowledge of the opponent's character selection for both players.
* Modified Dave's Stupid Rule: No player can counter pick a stage he or she has previously won on unless agreed upon by both players.
* Gentleman's clause: any stage may be played on so long as both players and the Tournament Host agree to it, including banned stages. This can be used in tandem with the Modified Dave's Stupid Rule (MDSR).
* Timed out matches will be determined by the remaining number of lives, then percentage of the current stock. In the event of a percentage tie, replay that match. Any Sudden Death match is strictly not to be played.

Redwood Counter Pick System

1. Blind Picks character selection.
2. Stage Striking: Players eliminate stages from the Starter Stage List until only 1 remains, and the players then play the first match on that stage. Players strike stages in 1 2 2 1 order.
3. The first match is played.
4. Winning player of the preceding match bans a stage.
5. The losing player of preceding match picks stage for the next match.
6. The winning player of preceding match picks character.
7. The losing player picks character.
8. The next match is played.
9. Repeat 4-8 for all consecutive matches as necessary until the set is complete.

* Players are responsible for their own general welfare in regards to the tournament. In other words, players are responsible for:

1. Being familiar with the rule set and stage list
2. Entrance and venue fees
3. Arriving on time
4. Maintaining personal hygiene
5. Controllers and Character Knowledge
6. Minimizing Johns

* Wireless controllers should be discouraged or banned because of interference, unreliability (battery life), and time hindrance.

Brawl
Super Smash Brothers: Brawl (singles and doubles)

General rules:

* 3 Stock

* 8 minute timer

* Items are set to "off" and "none"

* All sets with the exception of winner's finals, loser's finals, and the championship are best of 3 matches (best of 5 and above should be played out for any "finals" matches)

* In the event of a dispute, controller ports will be selected by Rock-Paper-Scissors

* No player may choose a stage they have already won on in that set unless agreed upon by both players.

* In team matches, the ports will be determined in a 1221 fashion; whoever wins the RPS will choose first, then the opposing team will get their ports, and then the teammate of the RPS winner will get the last port.

* If the timer runs out, the victor is determined first by stock and then by percentage.

* Metaknight's Infinite Cape glitch is banned.

* If a game ends with Bowser doing his suicide klaw and it ends in sudden death, the sudden death will be ignored and that game will count as a win for Bowser.

* You are responsible for your own controller and name tag. Any malfunctions or errors that occur are your responsibility, so bring an extra controller if possible and always check to make sure you're using the correct settings BEFORE a match is played. If a match is to be restarted due to controller functions, it must be agreed upon by both parties.

* Any action that can prevent the game from continuing (i.e., freezing, disappearing characters, game reset, etc.) will result in a forfeit of that match for the player that initiated the action. You are responsible for knowing your own character, and must be wary about accidentally triggering one of these effects.

* Stalling is banned.

Stalling: The act of deliberately avoiding any and all conflict so that one may make the game unplayable. Running away from an opponent to reach a better position is not stalling, while doing an infinite grab endlessly against a wall is. Any infinite chain grabs must end quickly after 300% has been reached so as to prevent excessive stalling.

Set format (In Order of Procedure):
1. Opponents choose their characters for the first match *
2. Opponents start the stage striking procedure
3. Each player may announce one stage to be banned for counterpicks of the set
4. The first game is played, using the stage chosen during step 2
5. The loser of the previous match announces the next match's stage from either the Starter Stage List or the Counter Stage List
6. The winner of the previous match chooses their character
7. The loser of the previous match chooses their character
8. Repeat steps 5-7 for all proceeding matches
*Double blind character selection may be called for the first match

Stage Lists

TOs must move stages from the starter/counterpick into either the starter or counterpick categories and must move stages from counterpick/banned into either the counterpick or banned categories.

Stages in the Starter/Counter and Counter/Banned list did not receive 2/3 majority, indicating no consensus could be reached on the stage.

The SBR Recommended rule list uses the stage striking system. In this system, players take turns striking stages from the starter list until only one remains; these stages are not banned and can be counterpicked later in the set. There must be an odd number of starter stages. There are up to 8 stages available for stages striking under the SBR stage list (4 in starter, 4 in starter/counter). We recommend as a TO that you decide on the ideal number of stages to use for striking at your tournaments (3, 5, 7).

Starter
Battlefield
Final Destination
Smashville
Yoshi's Island
Lylat Cruise

Counter
Castle Siege
Halberd
Pokemon Stadium 1
Brinstar
Delfino
Frigate Orpheon
Jungle Japes
Pictochat
Rainbow Cruise

GET HYPED

Due to time restrictions we will not be able to run doubles

UPDATE: Payouts!
UPDATE: Brawl Stage List!

:roymelee:
~Pyro~

[TSON]

Hella.
NNID
oTSONo
Why is Brawl+ not allowed? File Patch Code is what would be questionable. Also note that File Patch Code could be used with regular brawl as well. If anything the logical thing to do would be to just disallow the nude texture hacks and allow everything else.

Slashy

Smash Lord
ISO loading can also lead to texture hacks, you'll probably have to ban that too. Also, since you're the first tournament to ban file patching/replacement you might want to make it pretty clear in the OP.

Unfortunately there is nothing Pyro can do, EGS is pretty stubborn in their ways and plenty of their board leaders don't even like competitive smash in the first place.

Let's hope this tournament can be the best it can be despite these problems.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
Why cant you guys actually just...oh i dont know...simply ban questionable textures, and if any are seen, take action against said person breaking rules?

Rather than banning a game that has a large enough of a following to warrent its own tourneys and can bring in even MORE revenue and participants and activity to your events and club, you're (or the parent club is) showing nothing but a lack of understanding and comprehension towards the hacking scene with no desire to understand more than what you (or the parent club) knows.

It's generally smart business to sell more products to garner more buyers. And if you're going to at least ban something, do it on respectable grounds on a reason that isn't out of bias or lack of understanding.

This is silly.

Brawl+ doesnt even COME with textures. You dont NEED to have textures. It comes with default textures and music. If anything, you could provide pre-made SD cards with no textures OR take like...what? 2 mins TOPS to check an SD for textures, and if you spot any, delete them.

There are so many methods to circumvent banning a game that will do nothing but garner attention for you, in which, banning an event is an outright extreme, which should only be taken if no other resolution can be met.

Seriously.

Team Giza

Smash Lord
I hope this tournament goes well. I wouldn't go as far as banning brawl+ all together. It would be relatively easy to ban people from using any inappropriate textures but I can understand it can put stress on the tournament runners. You are the tournament runners and you make the decisions of coarse. I wish that the brawl+ people that are posting here would understand that a little more. Another issue with file patch is that some incorrectly made textures can cause gameplay issues which is another reason why it should be looked down upon in a tournament environment.

Frankly, I wish I could pull enough things together to have a tournament like this. Wish I lived closer so I could make it. I would love to play some melee. Please don't let the rest of these people get to you. You are putting the work into the tournament and if you think something has the possibility of hurting you from being able to do more in the future, or even just handling this one, then you should do whatever you feel is necessary to stop it. Again, hope it goes well all! Its always great to see people having tournaments.

Why is Brawl+ not allowed? File Patch Code is what would be questionable. Also note that File Patch Code could be used with regular brawl as well. If anything the logical thing to do would be to just disallow the nude texture hacks and allow everything else.
I admit he could have worded it better but brawl+ requires File Patch. Often when people have texture hacks they are playing brawl+. He might also want to avoid swearing in music and things like that. For some tournaments it can be time consuming to enforce such things, and just one case might make it so he will have less of a chance of hosting in the future.

darkoblivion12

Smash Lord
ISO loading can also lead to texture hacks, you'll probably have to ban that too. Also, since you're the first tournament to ban file patching/replacement you might want to make it pretty clear in the OP.

Unfortunately there is nothing Pyro can do, EGS is pretty stubborn in their ways and plenty of their board leaders don't even like competitive smash in the first place.

Let's hope this tournament can be the best it can be despite these problems.
Stop getting people to troll my tournament thread.

Foy

Smash Champion
BAWHHHH WHY CANT WE PLAY DOUBLEKD:ASL A

If anything after the tournament legit random team doubles at jesses.

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Can't bring my setup then. Don't know how to turn the textures off. I'll try to come to this.. not sure.

altairian

Smash Lord
san I can send you a gct file with only infinite replay and tags with replays, you don't have to change anything other than the gct file.

TheManaLord

Smash Hero
lmfao at the random lowlife dirtbags posting huge paragraphs about something nobody gives a **** about

GJ losers!

hubble

Smash Ace
What type of advertisement, if any is this thing going to recieve on campus?

Should be a cool way to meet potential new smashers :)

We just gotta embrace it.

darkoblivion12

Smash Lord
What type of advertisement, if any is this thing going to recieve on campus?

Should be a cool way to meet potential new smashers :)

We just gotta embrace it.
EGS is putting up some posters tomorrow. I'll know then. BTW there are a couple of other good people from RIT that were around last year that i'm hoping to attract.

Sheth

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shethblade
3DS FC
4639-8959-1952
Well there's other random smashers that've dropped off the scene or only been around once or twice, too. Like that ROB I teamed with back at ROR. Or that TL main goggles talked about too.

They put up posters tomorrow; we say there must be MOAR on friday.
More than their regex posters that are 95% useless because I'd imagine most everyone going doesn't need a hallway reminder to know about it, or know they're going.

The room across from smash club doesn't have a TV built in anywhere does it? Eh, I guess leave it to EGS, I was just thinking putting the brackets on a big screen (or just one of their large screens, even...) would be nice.

Dr. Grandpa

Smash Ace
The room across from smash club doesn't have a TV built in anywhere does it? Eh, I guess leave it to EGS, I was just thinking putting the brackets on a big screen (or just one of their large screens, even...) would be nice.

omg arena51 did that like 2008 spring i totally missed that and that was hot

Sheth

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shethblade
3DS FC
4639-8959-1952
They're providing their LCDs though, right? I'm pretty darn sure you don't want them assuming those are fair game. Keep in contact and make sure they know we're aiming for full CRT.

Top Bottom