• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

His World* Sonic Moveset Analysis/Speculation Thread *UPDATED 9/14/14*

Status
Not open for further replies.

True Blue

Smash Lord
Heck, maybe there is something we are missing that someone didn't translate correctly.
Like it game him Super Armor. Lol idk. I definitely wish I just had it myself to test it out. But been seeing a lot of characters custom B's and a lot of them seem super useless.

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
So far from the customs, my preference of the custom specials remain unchanged:
:GCB:= HA*2 aka Bounce Bracelet

:GCL::GCR::GCB:= SD*3

:GCU::GCB:= SJ*1 or SJ*3 I'll take an active hit-box sure.

:GCD::GCB:= SC*3 aka Sonic Wind

I'll find my own ways to utilize them in my game-play.

mesikoko

Smash Cadet
NNID
vexcain
3DS FC
1075-1191-5811
I don't know if this was mentioned, but what does HA3 do if it ISN'T whiffed? Is it just another normal HA?

mesikoko

Smash Cadet
NNID
vexcain
3DS FC
1075-1191-5811
I don't know if this was mentioned, but what does HA3 do if it ISN'T whiffed? Is it just another normal HA?

NNID
Kid Craft 24
3DS FC
3823-8516-6187
it simply travels a short distance and he stops abruptly in midair as opposed to the normal homing attack where he continues with his momentum. But it' homing range and whiff travel distance is really really small.

True Blue

Smash Lord
So he WON'T drop like a rock. lol. I hate Homing Attack for that! RAWR! Also I wish the guy could have tried it against computers to see how the hit box interacts. Though I guess someone out there has a video of such and I can just look and find those. lol

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
I was waiting for you to eventually get to Sonic's custom moves.

I was definitely wanting to see HA3 on an actual opponent. If custom moves becomes a thing, that's definitely going to be my go-to variant. A Homing Attack that's reminiscent of the actual games, AND doesn't send him rocketing down if there's no lock-on target?! I'm sold!

Also good to know that HA2 A.K.A. Bounce Bracelet actually spikes. I'd still prefer Spring Jump coils or Dair for edgeguarding; but, I suppose having the option is there.

Ninjalink, if you're still here, I've some things I wish to ask you. If it isn't too much trouble for you, of course:

Between default and Auto Spin Charge, did you notice any mechanical differences? Like, can you jump out of the charge or do you HAVE to follow through with Auto Spin Charge? Was there anything else that might be noteworthy or is it simply as the name implies (and thus, IMO, not worth replacing the default for or taking over the other variant which gives you a windbox)?

Do you know if SD2 or SD3 have invincibility on release? Or if you can shield-cancel either?

What happens if you hit with Sonic's body on SJ3 as opposed to the coil? What about if done in the air, what happens to both Sonic and the coil?

NNID
Kid Craft 24
3DS FC
3823-8516-6187
So happy HA2 is a meteor smash....just wish it was one of his spin charge alts instead if homing attack. (Guess ill have to alternate between them) although unless auto spin charge ia different i might not use it afterall. I was hoping it had sone type of armor properties or decreased knockback for easier combo setups.

True Blue

Smash Lord
Kinda sucks that the fire one can not combo with easily... Blarg.
But still will love the wind box if it actually acts like wind boxes in Brawl to easily gimp certain characters. lol. But then the issue with it not jumping well or something like that. Meh. Need it my hands.

Edit: Oh and I realized I am just bad with 3DS controls and I finally found out how to not get the laggy frames of Short Hop Back Air. Lol. That frame perfect short hop back air. But I still hate the small hit box. But at least the move isn't a downward aerial or else it would be nearly impossible on the 3DS without a C-Stick. lol

Last edited:

cg0rz152

Smash Rookie
I have uploaded all of Sonic's Custom Moves. Hope it helps.
Okay, so HA2 does spike enemies. That at least makes it seem a little more promising. Still, I like HA3 more just cause it's the safest to use off stage. Might even be useful for a recovery if a character like Jigglypuff tries to follow you off stage and put pressure on. You can HA them to use like a stepping stone.

A bit disappointed with SD3 though. The fact you can't jump out of it means you can't follow up nearly as well as you can with the other versions. I think you can at least use it for horizontal recovery though, correct? As in, it doesn't send you straight down.

I'll probably stick with SD2. That ground pound ability it has could come in really handy for setting up KOs.

SC2 though I think needs more testing before I can properly judge it.

Right now, SC3 seems more interesting in my eyes. The fact it can push enemies away from you when they're behind you means it has potential gimping ability. Also, you can mess with someone's spacing by using the attack. For instance, a Marth tipper might whiff.

As for the Springs, UpB3 might have better recovery than UpB1, but I don't like how the move hits enemies horizontally away from you when it makes contact. I was hoping it might knock them upwards for potential follow ups, but at least it gives you a higher recovery if you hit someone. Who knows, it might be useful for smacking people under stage ledges.

For now I may go with:

HA3
SD2
SC3
UpB1 (Possibly UpB3)

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
I was waiting for you to eventually get to Sonic's custom moves.

I was definitely wanting to see HA3 on an actual opponent. If custom moves becomes a thing, that's definitely going to be my go-to variant. A Homing Attack that's reminiscent of the actual games, AND doesn't send him rocketing down if there's no lock-on target?! I'm sold!

Also good to know that HA2 A.K.A. Bounce Bracelet actually spikes. I'd still prefer Spring Jump coils or Dair for edgeguarding; but, I suppose having the option is there.

Ninjalink, if you're still here, I've some things I wish to ask you. If it isn't too much trouble for you, of course:

Between default and Auto Spin Charge, did you notice any mechanical differences? Like, can you jump out of the charge or do you HAVE to follow through with Auto Spin Charge? Was there anything else that might be noteworthy or is it simply as the name implies (and thus, IMO, not worth replacing the default for or taking over the other variant which gives you a windbox)?

Do you know if SD2 or SD3 have invincibility on release? Or if you can shield-cancel either?

What happens if you hit with Sonic's body on SJ3 as opposed to the coil? What about if done in the air, what happens to both Sonic and the coil?
I'll try to test tonight. Possibly stream it since I'm extremely close to getting every custom move.

Sonic Orochi

Smash Ace
I'm not making any statements before testing all of the moves thoroughly.:4sonic:

(As in, which I'm gonna use.)

Last edited:

True Blue

Smash Lord
Okay, so I am visiting a friend who has a JP copy of Smash and have been playing it. Out of the Custom Moves I got here is what I have deciphered.

Homing Attack 2: It Spikes. Will test again but when I was playing Classic mode I would hit the computers down into the Brinstar Lava with it.
Edit: Yea, definitely Spikes. Hit CPU Ness out of PK Thunder 2 and sent him flying down.

Spin Charge 2: (The Wild one, not the Wind one.) So it fully charges Down B and you DO get to control when to let go. I don't really see the down side to it, fully charged Spin Dash always and you can fully jump and stuff.

Spin Dash 2: It implants people into the ground and has a high arc when starting. Don't know if the full arc is invincible or not. Will test that out. (But everyone knew what it did.)
Edit: The charge up on this seems faster so your window to shield cancel this is smaller than normal.

Spin Dash 3: (This realization was kinda big.) When you equip this one it makes both Down B and Side B not be able to jump out of spin roll, or at least very high. You would be able to spin roll into Up Air or Nair as the safe options and Fair and Bair would always get the laggy frames. But the extra thing about this one was that it gave the Spin Dash Fire Properties and took away its arc. But the first bit was the part that was unexpected. Which makes me think that the Wind Spin Charge might not have the jumping problems that was stated by other people testing out the movesets and even more says that we should have been testing each one by themselves since this one effected Sonic's Down B. But that may be just because the game still registers Spin Roll as one action that is shared between Side B and Down B.

Spring Jump 3: The height looks like it gets extended if you hit someone on the way up. But in all honesty, this one is butt. No spring for utility makes me sad, AND the lag you have after you execute it. Which makes it even worse cause it would make you a sitting duck to get grabbed out of Up B if used incorrectly.

Now back to adventure mode to get the others. lol

Last edited:

SonicMario

Smash Master
Homing Attack 2: It Spikes. Will test again but when I was playing Classic mode I would hit the computers down into the Brinstar Lava with it.
Edit: Yea, definitely Spikes. Hit CPU Ness out of PK Thunder 2 and sent him flying down.
A Homing Attack that can Spike?! :eek:

I think I found which variation of the Homing Attack I'm going to use :grin:

SonicMario

Smash Master
However, it does not "home": it goes straight down and doesn't target the opponent.
Ah, I suppose that's a fitting drawback as if it still homed really well it might be a bit OP. Still, it certainly sounds like a more solid Spiking option for Sonic then the Down Air that has alot more risk and harder to land.

I might still use it quite a bit since people have said it's kind of like the Bounce Bracelet. Even if it's not entirely intentional. Anything that reminds me of SA2 is really good to me, it was the first Sonic game I've ever played. And it's also still my favorite of the entire series. ^^.

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
Hey guys, with sonic's SC3, here http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=c2xywrva, it says that it auto charges after you press the button imput, not use what else though. So, is it a good thing or a bad thing?
Lucky for you im still up. I went to test it myself cause it IS strange. Autocharge seems to do the same damage but it doesnt allow you to jump as high from it. Seems easier to do the footstool from it because of the the height nerf.

Unkown Hero

Smash Journeyman
Lucky for you im still up. I went to test it myself cause it IS strange. Autocharge seems to do the same damage but it doesnt allow you to jump as high from it. Seems easier to do the footstool from it because of the the height nerf.
I have no idea what you just said. Not a sonic main, though wish I could have him as a secondary, though all his combo word things and techniques.... ASC, ASJC, ADSDY, AFUSFEUF? ARG

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
I have no idea what you just said. Not a sonic main, though wish I could have him as a secondary, though all his combo word things and techniques.... ASC, ASJC, ADSDY, AFUSFEUF? ARG
Autocharge spincharge is the custom down b you mentioned. I was comparing it to the default.

True Blue

Smash Lord
As I stated before, the Auto Charge Spin Dash has NO drawbacks.... It doesn't make you jump shorter than normal. The reason why you are jumping shorter in Spin Charge is because you have Spin Dash 3 Equipped. The Fire Spin Dash makes all your Spin Rolls jump at shorter angles.
(Sonic main so I think I know. Plus spent 30 minutes mix and matching all the Spin Customs.)

Edit: And after 20 minutes of trying super hard I was finally able to do the spin to footstool to up b jab lock stuff on the 3DS. It still works but at the same time I feel like it is not possible to pull off cause it feels like the person might have a lot of control on where and how they get footstooled from the distance the spring is at. But ya definitely have to make the spring come out pretty soon or else it always missed the person. But that was at 0% and at anything higher than 30% it felt like it wouldn't connect. But I could be wrong and my fingers could be stupid. lol

Last edited:

LuffyLink

Smash Apprentice
Wow Sonic is so strong! One week remaining, I can't wait to play :4sonic:, :4link:,:4darkpit:and more ...!

True Blue

Smash Lord
I wouldn't take the Online Matches that super serious cause I have been playing a bunch and it is laggy where you can be brain dead with them and the only characters I have trouble against on Greninjas cause they just spam Shuriken. lol
But Sonic is definitely strong, but a lot of things that are done could be easily punished. lol. Or just not connect.

LuffyLink

Smash Apprentice
I don't play Smash competitively but I'm so glad that Sonic is stronger than he was in Brawl! :4sonic:
I'm really feeling it for him!

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
As I stated before, the Auto Charge Spin Dash has NO drawbacks.... It doesn't make you jump shorter than normal. The reason why you are jumping shorter in Spin Charge is because you have Spin Dash 3 Equipped. The Fire Spin Dash makes all your Spin Rolls jump at shorter angles.
(Sonic main so I think I know. Plus spent 30 minutes mix and matching all the Spin Customs.)

Edit: And after 20 minutes of trying super hard I was finally able to do the spin to footstool to up b jab lock stuff on the 3DS. It still works but at the same time I feel like it is not possible to pull off cause it feels like the person might have a lot of control on where and how they get footstooled from the distance the spring is at. But ya definitely have to make the spring come out pretty soon or else it always missed the person. But that was at 0% and at anything higher than 30% it felt like it wouldn't connect. But I could be wrong and my fingers could be stupid. lol
So the fire spin dash affected the other spin dash. Hmm. Funny cause Olimar has a similar thing but thats just because its pikmin. Good catch. Imma update the video with that. If theres any other customs that affects other moves, let me know so I can update the video.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Good guy Randall, giving the public informations and updating as more comes in.

infomon

Smash Scientist
You could spinshot in Brawl with side-B by hitting jump just ever so slightly after letting go of the side-B. That method is still in smash4 iirc.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Why has NO ONE done it yet then? :X

Ugh, first thing I'm doing when I get my hands on the new game: test to see what's stayed the same from the last game.

D

Deleted member 245254

You could spinshot in Brawl with side-B by hitting jump just ever so slightly after letting go of the side-B. That method is still in smash4 iirc.
Was doing some training mode grinding and I have to be frank, I'm pretty sure you can't spin shot. You can still jump out of your initial roll jump but there's no momentum in the jump with spin dash, which would indicate an actual spin shot. You jump straight up. With spin charge, there is slight momentum in the jump, but still not spin shot-esque.

Last edited by a moderator:

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
ugh no

this is why i need the game

i need to see it to believe it

hang in there spinshot i'm comin' for ya

:093:

True Blue

Smash Lord
There is spin shot. I can't do it on the 3DS but I have had that typical moment when I jump RIGHT at the edge of the stage and do a spin shot. So since that can happen Spin Shot should be a plausible thing. But I never knew how to spin shot without the C-Stick. Plus I talked with StaticManny and he said it was still in the game and he was able to do it.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
So the fire spin dash affected the other spin dash. Hmm. Funny cause Olimar has a similar thing but thats just because its pikmin. Good catch. Imma update the video with that. If theres any other customs that affects other moves, let me know so I can update the video.
I believe only Sonic's is affected at the moment, it might be a coding error perhaps?
Are you posting vids up of the other characters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom