• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

His World* Sonic Moveset Analysis/Speculation Thread *UPDATED 9/14/14*

Status
Not open for further replies.

True Blue

Smash Lord
Yo, been doing this a lot online. Down Air Spiking peopel onto my spring and following up with Up Air. FRICKEN LOVE IT! lol Or even Nair. I actually think Nair kills better off the top now instead of Up Air.
Wish I had something to record these replays I have.

Last edited:

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Hello everyone.

I started doing this in my FAQ thread but I don't know if it's been seen by most yet. I'd like to bring it to more people's attention to get a discussion going.

Before I share it, there's also this thing called roll canceled grabs. Sonic's is okay. Probably won't ever use it.

copy-pasta

Please contribute/tear apart. I did my best to compile/research by myself but this stills gets confusing even to me sometimes.

Not-So-Basic Sonic-Specific Terminology:
SD = Spin Dash (Side-B)
SDH = Spin Dash Hop (Release Side-B)
SC = Spin Charge (Down-B)
ASC = Aerial Spin Charge (Aerial Down-B)
SR(?) = Spin Roll (Grounded Spin Dash or Spin Charge roll)*
* Do both SDR and SCR(?) still share stale move proration? Are "both" Spin Rolls still technically the same move, or do we need to classify them as separate SRs? They have different damage outputs but both have the same old VSDJ. If they are not the same, I propose simply SDR and SCR. If it's the same, then SR.
SJ = Spin Jump (Jump Attack done out of a SR)*
* Originally SDJ.
VSJ(?) = Vertical Spin Jump (SCJ or SDJ done in place [OLD VSDJ])*
* If SCR exists, then this is what we should call what we used to call VSDJ to simplify things.

VSDJ(?) = Vertical Spin Dash Jump (SDJ done in place)*
* Crazy different now. This should be the name of the new jump that retains charge, as it's a vertical jump that can only be done with SD, as opposed to SC.
SDSC = Spin Dash Shield Cancel (Hit Shield to cancel a Side-B's charge)
Spinshot = Double Jump canceled Spin Dash/Spin Charge

Q: How do I shot spin?
A: You can Spinshot from both Side-B and Down-B. Both require you inputting a jump at or past a certain point during each spindash.

Recommended [only?] input(s):
  • Air:
[Hold Side-B] or [Fully Charged Side-B] > [Release B and quickly hit A or X/Y (Jump)] **
[Rapid-Fire Down-B] > [Release B and quickly hit A or X/Y (Jump]
  • Ground:
Same as **

I personally find it's easiest to roll my thumb from B to A after a fully-charged Side-B.

What we know about Down-B and Side-B (This is currently my information dump):

GROUND: Side-B can cancel into shield before it's fully charged. Damage for the roll is based on how long you hold it. Side-B has a hop, and it's attack box deals 5 damage (charge doesn't matter). Down-B's damage is based on the rate/amount of times you rapid fire B. Down-B deals more damage if you're holding a direction. Speed is no longer a damage variable (I think). It also does multiple hits if you hold forward (I think).

Down-B SDR - 2% damage per hit (no matter how much it’s charged [has multi-hits])
Side-B SDR - 6-10% (charge dependent [hits once])
Down-B SDJ - 6% (always)

I want to rename Down-B SDR to SCR (Spin Charge Roll) as mentioned earlier, because I believe it may now be it's own move. Need confirmation.

-

AIR: Side-B SDJ (I want to name this the new VSDJ). Basically we can now jump if we hold Side-B then press jump. If you hold Side-B and jump, you MUST land, and it will automatically release into Side-B hop (SDH), then SDR. You can't SD out of Side-B's SDJ (newVSDJ). HOWEVER you can jump and either go immediately into a double jump before seeing the Side-B hop, OR SPINSHOT (meaning that even though you can't cancel the new VSDJ with a regular jump, if you land, it still retains a double jump).

If you initiate a charge on Side-B before reaching max charge and land on the ground, it can still be shield canceled. If it's at full charge when you land, it cannot be canceled and you must either release into SDH > SDR or you can continue to new VSDJ. If you release Side-B in the air, enter the hop, and land, it cannot be shield canceled.

ASC (Aerial Spin Charge): Cannot be shield canceled. You can't jump out of a SDR from an aerial SC or SD, even if you release those on the ground. You can, however, use HA, Spring, air dodge or any aerial to get out of the jump animation. Also, you can still double jump, if you had it available before the ASC/ASD, but only if the SDR runs off the platform. So basically, if you ASC/ASD > SDR (SCR?), you will only SDJ with no stored double jump unless you roll off a platform.

ASC also seems to only do 3% damage per hit, but can still multi-hit into a double jump > aerial (as long as you don't let it touch the ground first) BUT FOR SOME REASON IF YOU HIT THE GROUND AND GO INTO SDR (SCR??)>SDJ YOU CAN STILL GO INTO A FSJ WHY?

More information cited by @ Sonic Orochi Sonic Orochi that I still need to organize as well: *
*http://smashboards.com/threads/changes-from-brawl-new-stuff-etc.370892/
-You can now short hop after a SD or ASC. Timing is kinda strict: you have to tap jump as soon as you hit the ground. The jump from the ASC goes higher than the one from SD. This jump can be controlled by momentum: you can ASC/ASD high up in the air, change directions and jump to the opposite direction of what the ASC/ASD was originally meant to go to (terrible wording, please bear with me);
- Remember run->SD->shield cancel? We can still to that.. with INCREASED range! And more: run->SD->charge jump->shield cancel when landing;
- It's also possible to insta-SDJ with the above technique but I can't seem to find the correct timing/requirements to do it consistently. I also noticed that it doesn't let you double jump out of itsometimes let you double jump out of it.. It SEEMS to have the same input for the Spinshot, but while running (run->SD->SS). Still can't get it to work quite right;

A lot of this was the base of Tenki's old FAQ, Sonic Orochi's research, as well as my own testing and things I've seen on the board.

Have at it.

:093:

NNID
Kid Craft 24
3DS FC
3823-8516-6187
also apparently if you have both the hammer spin dash and auto spin charge on you can cancel your down B into a screech stop by flicking backwards while charging. Odd that you need to have the hammer spin dash in order for that to occur. Wish you could do it with the normal spin dash.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
I don't think I'm at all ready to get into the custom variants of spindash, but that's good info to have on the backburner.

Sonic Orochi

Smash Ace
If you initiate a charge on Side-B before reaching max charge and land on the ground, it can still be shield canceled. If it's at full charge when you land, it cannot be canceled and you must either release into SDH > SDR or you can continue to new VSDJ. If you release Side-B in the air, enter the hop, and land, it cannot be shield canceled.
I was testing this because I thought that the charge wasn't the limitator and that the new "charge jump" (maybe call it VCJ - Vertical Charge Jump? So we can still use VSDJ as usual?) would still let you charge the SD in mid air.

Turns out that the charge has nothing to do with the visuals of the move: it's only about how much the move "backs up". AKA the move only charges on the ground.

Guess this new jump is even more useless than I thought.

Last edited:

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
I was testing this because I thought that the charge wasn't the limitator and that the new "charge jump" (maybe call it VCJ - Vertical Charge Jump? So we can still use VSDJ as usual?) would still let you charge the SD in mid air.
I knew it'd be hard to break old habits with VSDJ, but just wanted to offer it up. Since Side-B is specifically named Spin Dash and Down-B is Spin Charge, I thought it might be confusing for new players to call something that can be done from both Spin Dash and Spin Charge a Vertical Spin Dash Jump, whereas this new jump is quite literally just that.

If we don't rework the definitions of old terminology, then VCJ might work. VSDCJ is too much...
Turns out that the charge has nothing to do with the visuals of the move: it's only about how much the move "backs up". AKA the move only charges on the ground.

Guess this new jump is even more useless than I thought.
It doesn't even have a hitbox either. Really don't know what application there will be for this thing other than delaying and being silly. Only thing I can really find about it is that you can go into a spinshot.

NNID
Kid Craft 24
3DS FC
3823-8516-6187
I also found out that we can cancel dash attack into grab(other characters can do this too) during the very first few frames. Although the hitbox doesn't come out you do still hear the dash attack spin sound which could confuse people when used in conjunction with his SDC's.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Huh, that's interesting. Is it better than his roll cancel grab?

True Blue

Smash Lord
How do you cancel Dash Attack?
And there are color visuals that state if the Side B can still be canceled or not. Cause the Side B has to sets of violent flashing colors. One of them is more Yellow than the other and I forgot the other. But it is definitely noticable to realize what is going on.
Unless I am the most colorblind ****** in the world and I am just dumb. lol

True Blue

Smash Lord
So I am trying it and I hear the sound effect of spinning but it looks just like a normal running grab. Can someone show me what it looks like so I get a better idea. Unless that is it.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Well, not that this is relevant much of anymore with new ledge and Sanic Mechanics; but, Sonic doesn't get put into that semi free-fall state if he lands on a platform at the apex of his Spring Jump like he did in Brawl.

Yay(?)!

Kupo Rose

It's what my cutie mark is telling me ♫
I mainly forget I can't jump out of SDR from an ariel SD or SC anymore.

Well, not that this is relevant much of anymore with new ledge and Sanic Mechanics; but, Sonic doesn't get put into that semi free-fall state if he lands on a platform at the apex of his Spring Jump like he did in Brawl.

Yay(?)!
We can also cover just over half the length of FD with one dash and grind.

Motobug

Project M/+ community leader
Not sure if this has been brought up yet, but it seems that down tilt was changed mid-way through development. Look here:
It won't hit up anymore.
Strange, isn't it? (hrrrrrah!)

Last edited:

Shariq

Smash Journeyman
I noticed you can only homing attack once while in the air. If you want to do it again you have to touch the ground first. Even if you homing attack and hit someone you still have to make contact with the ground in order to refresh it. Kinda lame. Sorry if it's already been pointed out.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
I'm completely okay with that change since HA is stupid good now.

It'll make Sonic dittos less silly now though.

Shariq

Smash Journeyman
Homing attack is still literally a hit or miss for me. Sometimes it will work perfectly and sometimes it will completely miss.

Tomo009

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, but I still find myself out of double jumps with no reasonable explanation sometimes..
Does anyone know exactly why this is?

Seems to happen when you start a spin dash or charge in the air but is not consistent? Some times you retain double jump sometimes you just lose it, I have tap jump turned off so I can't figure this out.

Sonic Orochi

Smash Ace
Does anyone know exactly why this is?

Seems to happen when you start a spin dash or charge in the air but is not consistent? Some times you retain double jump sometimes you just lose it, I have tap jump turned off so I can't figure this out.
My thread has practically everything on this matter but oh well..

If you use SD/SC in the air, the SDR won't have a double jump available. If you fastfall a SDJ, you won't be able to double jump out of any subsequent SDJ (you'll have to jump and touch the ground again to be able to, actually). You can still double jump if the SDR rolls off the edge, though.

Basically, fastfalling a SDJ will make the next SDR from a SC/SD act like a SDR from ASC/ASD (lol). I think that pretty much covers it.

Last edited:

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
Going through this feels like Deju Vu! i worked really hard on this!

Stay Fast... All Sonic Mains :4sonic:

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Hate to be the barer of bad news but I think this will have to remain as a memory for you. It served its role but has long since been replaced and updated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom