• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Hint Block: Yoshi Question and Answer Thread

Dpete

Carnifex
3DS FC
0834-1794-6801
Any tips for going up against a fast character like Falcon? I have a lot of trouble with him, and it feels like I'm just gonna get grabbed no matter what I do.
SHAD his dash approaches, probably followed up best by Nair.

Codaption

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3454-1643-6973
Just my two cents, if you're looking for a secondary to cover the Marth matchup, I've found that zoners like ROB and pure rush downs like CF make it easier for me in that matchup, since I really can't handle a good Marth with Yoshi, and Wario is even worse in that MU.
That's....really convenient, actually. Rob is actually one of my mains, and in fact easily my best character in ssb4.

Dpete

Carnifex
3DS FC
0834-1794-6801
Short Hop Air Dodge. Yoshi has a ton of options after the air dodge ends but before he hits the ground, most commonly Nair.

Sethykbro

Smash Rookie
NNID
sethykbro2020
I've seen that dtilt near the edge can set up into run-off fair spikes. Are there any other good/guaranteed fair spike setups?

Also, I'm having issues aiming eggs well. Any tips/context on where to aim?

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
lol guys don't rely on SHAD that hard It's not 100% safe. Falcon can punish you by jabbing or by just shield grabing it if he sees it coming. Use it ocasionally only.

Falcon has a problem that we Yoshi mains need to start abusing:

His main approaches are with Dash Grabs, Dash attacks or SH uairs.
If you see an approach coming, try jumping away from him while still facing to him. You'll be able to punish whichever option he chooses. A Falcon main gave me this advice and now it's making the MU a lot less problematic than before.

Last edited:

JBones

Smash Cadet
His main approaches are with Dash Grabs, Dash attacks or SH uairs.
If you see an approach coming, try jumping away from him while still facing to him. You'll be able to punish whichever option he chooses.
Thanks I'll try this out at my next locals and let you know how it goes.

Baron Omega

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BaronOmega
hey guys its been a long while since I have been on this thread but I feel as if I am once again in another pickle......I don't know what is happening to me in terms of my skill but I am starting to slowly go down placings within the ranking battles in Melbourne for I cannot fathom to even understand. I am starting to struggle more often than not in my matches and I feel as if I cant do anything to get better. I see other players getting either good placings and whatever and slowly I am not being able to keep up.
Melbourne now has over 100+ competitors now for smash 4 being the June ranking battle being 106 players now. I only just scrape 25th out of the lot unlike when I first went to a ranking battle for smash 4 got 13th and that was with around 50-60 players tops back in December 2014. I almost even lost to a player that I shouldn't of lost to (due to typical rage effects) but like other times I do well and I dont know why it is that I am starting to do not as well as I once did. It didn't help that this monthly I had not much practice this time due to uni assignments due round the corner but it doesn't explain either why I seem to freeze up during my matches. I have come for all your wisdoms combined and if I could be explained the faults I am having. I feel more and more down on myself as a player each I see the ELO rankings and the placing in tournaments now since I had gotten 17th in two months before now I am getting 25th in the latest two tournaments. plus a little Wario match up advice would be awesome too :awesome:

Thanks
Baron:4yoshi::4yoshi::4yoshi:

Last edited:

Codaption

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3454-1643-6973
If there's more people coming, then naturally I'd think placing so would start to shift around for the people already there...that being said, it sounds like you don't see that as the issue.

Do you play these same people a lot? Maybe they're getting a good grasp on your habits and such- if so, now' sa good time to try new things and get introduced to the more mental side of smash.

Last edited:

Baron Omega

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BaronOmega
If there's more people coming, then naturally I'd think placing so would start to shift around for the people already there...that being said, it sounds like you don't see that as the issue.

Do you play these same people a lot? Maybe they're getting a good grasp on your habits and such- if so, now' sa good time to try new things and get introduced to the more mental side of smash.
umm not really and some I have never even vs'd before
I just seem to struggle more than anything now
and I just simply dont know what to do

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
@ Baron Omega Baron Omega I think you're having problems with your mindset. I saw things in your post about almost losing to "someone you shouldn't lose to", or that you're feeling bad when you look at the rankings.

You need to get your head straight again. I've seen things like this happen when rising players hit a certain point of success, and then they just sort of fall into this mindset where they think they're better than most other players except the real top players. And they really start caring about rankings.

You either need to start thinking EVERY player is capable of beating you, so you start taking everyone seriously, OR you need to think NOBODY should be beating you, and that you are capable of winning every match and beating everyone you come across. But thinking that some players are BENEATH you while others are untouchable, is a pretty bad mindset to have. Plus, it sort of causes a losing attitude. If this person who's BENEATH you say, gimps you or makes some reads and gets a good chain off, you're going to get flustered, and lose your cool, play worse, then lose. On the flipside, when you go up against players who are above you, you go in thinking, "Oh, I should probably lose, but it'd be pretty cool if I did something here", so you don't play as well, because you've already accepted defeat.

It's okay to have this kind of mindset when you're really bad and still trying to learn the game, because you should be playing to learn. But once you hit a certain skill level, you should be playing to win, so you should have the attitude that you CAN win, and that you'll be playing your hardest to win. When you lose, that's when you can look back and learn from your mistakes (recordings, ask for advice, etc.)

Also, stop caring about rank. Rankings don't matter. You playing well and winning matter. Don't even look at the ELO. It's worthless. It means nothing with regard to how you play! It's just a number. The only feedback you need while competing is the result of your matches. Just go out there and win. Everything else is extraneous.

In short: JUST DO IT.

Last edited:

Baron Omega

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BaronOmega
@ Baron Omega Baron Omega I think you're having problems with your mindset. I saw things in your post about almost losing to "someone you shouldn't lose to", or that you're feeling bad when you look at the rankings.

You need to get your head straight again. I've seen things like this happen when rising players hit a certain point of success, and then they just sort of fall into this mindset where they think they're better than most other players except the real top players. And they really start caring about rankings.

You either need to start thinking EVERY player is capable of beating you, so you start taking everyone seriously, OR you need to think NOBODY should be beating you, and that you are capable of winning every match and beating everyone you come across. But thinking that some players are BENEATH you while others are untouchable, is a pretty bad mindset to have. Plus, it sort of causes a losing attitude. If this person who's BENEATH you say, gimps you or makes some reads and gets a good chain off, you're going to get flustered, and lose your cool, play worse, then lose. On the flipside, when you go up against players who are above you, you go in thinking, "Oh, I should probably lose, but it'd be pretty cool if I did something here", so you don't play as well, because you've already accepted defeat.

It's okay to have this kind of mindset when you're really bad and still trying to learn the game, because you should be playing to learn. But once you hit a certain skill level, you should be playing to win, so you should have the attitude that you CAN win, and that you'll be playing your hardest to win. When you lose, that's when you can look back and learn from your mistakes (recordings, ask for advice, etc.)

Also, stop caring about rank. Rankings don't matter. You playing well and winning matter. Don't even look at the ELO. It's worthless. It means nothing with regard to how you play! It's just a number. The only feedback you need while competing is the result of your matches. Just go out there and win. Everything else is extraneous.

In short: JUST DO IT.

Thanks man its honestly killing me in the fact I feel mostly that I freeze up when playing people as well and cause of that it makes me less capable of doing well and makes me struggle, I 100% understand that anyone is beatable not everyone is a god cause I once learned that at my first tourney ever the hard way. I do certainly know that its all about mindset really and to just have the confidence in myself. So in esscence believe in the me that believe in me

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
Any tips/flowchart to using sh air dodge as an approach? It seems super useful, it's essentially an aggressive roll, and the timing is just perfect for either nair or egg lay.

Also about SHAD vs Falcon though, I'd imagine it wouldn't be too helpful against him or other characters that tend to buffer out hitboxes. (Falcon jab, zss blaster, sonic spindash, luigi fireballs, etc)

Last edited:

JBones

Smash Cadet
Anyone got any advice for the Diddy matchup? One specific problem I'm having is dealing with his banana when I land.
I'll get thrown and up-aired, he'll grab a banana, wait for me to fall, throw the banana and grab me again.

Wave57

Smash Rookie
Anyone got any advice for the Diddy matchup? One specific problem I'm having is dealing with his banana when I land.
I'll get thrown and up-aired, he'll grab a banana, wait for me to fall, throw the banana and grab me again.
I try to stay on the ground and bait out his banana with shield. There really isn't much else to beat his banana, so just stay back and eggz fer dayz. Be very careful landing next to him, with that I'd try SHAD egg lay as a mix up and retreating fairs might also work.

Edit: Also might consider landing and immediately doing either a ftilt or a ftilt, depending on the distance and timing.

Last edited:

TacoSaur

Smash Rookie
@ T TacoSaur There's a Yoshi Skype group. If you give someone your Skype account they should be able to add you in. It's not particularly more active than here though.
oh awesome mi Skype tag is CarlosEnciso05 I really want to join the group do you know who can add me?

Last edited:

Newtonjar

Smash Cadet
So I am tryin to get better with my yoshi (aren't we all though) and something I recognize is that yoshi's egg toss is pretty essential to his gameplay. But right now it is still tricky for me to aim my eggs where I want it to go. Right now I am just practicing by going in training mode and setting the cpu to either run or attack depending on what I feel like doing. So anybody could put their suggestions or methods of practicing with egg toss that would be great. And I hope this could be a good resource for anybody who wants to improve their egg tossing skills.
But If there is a good thread I missed or someplace where this has been discussed in full detail please let me know.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
So I am tryin to get better with my yoshi (aren't we all though) and something I recognize is that yoshi's egg toss is pretty essential to his gameplay. But right now it is still tricky for me to aim my eggs where I want it to go. Right now I am just practicing by going in training mode and setting the cpu to either run or attack depending on what I feel like doing. So anybody could put their suggestions or methods of practicing with egg toss that would be great. And I hope this could be a good resource for anybody who wants to improve their egg tossing skills.
But If there is a good thread I missed or someplace where this has been discussed in full detail please let me know.
Merged with the Q&A thread.

To practice getting better with Egg Toss, I really recommend that you just get used to hitting all the possible angles with the move, then try it in matches against CPUs to simulate pressure. I never really had to practice it much, it just sorta came naturally to me, so hopefully someone who's needed to practice can give good advice. In general, repetition of the move and its various angles would be good to do, because it'll help develop the muscle memory you want to use it in a match.

I also think it's important to understand how the egg's travel path is determined. I wrote a post a while back about it, which I'll just copy here:

The Egg's arc is a function of two variables: Power and Angle.

Power is adjusted based on how long you hold the Special button (B, usually) for. The longer you hold down the button after initiating the Egg Toss, the further you'll throw the egg.

Angle is adjusted based on how you hold the control stick after initiating the Egg Toss. There are a lot of different angles possible, most acquired by holding the stick in some direction between straight forward (which throws the egg as far forward as possible), and straight backward (which throws the egg vertically).

The egg has a limited amount of time it can be around before it explodes on its own, without hitting anything. Most of the time you'll either hit a floor/shield/platform/person before this happens. If you were to throw it as hard as possible straight up, it would explode somewhere near the highest point of its travel path, in the air. If you use this same angle, but with the minimal amount of Power, you'll end up lobbing the egg barely above Yoshi's head, and then it'll fall through him and hit the ground, where it explodes.

Peppa

Time's up, pipsqueak. I'm gone!
NNID
ThePeppa
I know its a dumb question, but I've heard Jab upsmash is guaranteed and it seems like if it his its one of the safer kill confirms in the game. However after a month of Luigi practice, I'm canceling the jabs with a buffered dash, either upsmash on Yoshi or grab on the Weeg. Sometimes the opponent will shield of jump away even if its a fast input and I don't move anywhere.
Is it a jab to jump cancelled up smash or is my method okay?

stripheR

Smash Cadet
There is a local player that absolutely destroys my captain falcon locally. I don't have real secondary, but I am willing to pickup whatever character JUST to beat yoshi. what character do you guys suggest I pickup?

fwiw this is @ competitive level, and this guy has taken games off of some of texas's best players.

we played for 4-5 hours last night locally, and the only 2 times I won out of 70+ matches were because he sd'ed once in each game.

Last edited:

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
There is a local player that absolutely destroys my captain falcon locally. I don't have real secondary, but I am willing to pickup whatever character JUST to beat yoshi. what character do you guys suggest I pickup?

fwiw this is @ competitive level, and this guy has taken games off of some of texas's best players.

we played for 4-5 hours last night locally, and the only 2 times I won out of 70+ matches were because he sd'ed once in each game.
Merged with Q&A thread.

I'd recommend a fast character. Falcon is actually a good choice in my opinion, since I think the MU is about even. If you're looking for an easier time, pick up Sheik and learn how to take advantage of frame data. Yoshi struggles with really fast, oppressive characters in his face.

Scarlet Jile

Smash Lord
NNID
ScarletJile

Sounds like you need to get good, honky.

ReturningFall

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RecurringN
3DS FC
1934-0989-6824
Any tips/flowchart to using sh air dodge as an approach? It seems super useful, it's essentially an aggressive roll, and the timing is just perfect for either nair or egg lay.

Also about SHAD vs Falcon though, I'd imagine it wouldn't be too helpful against him or other characters that tend to buffer out hitboxes. (Falcon jab, zss blaster, sonic spindash, luigi fireballs, etc)
I'd like to double this request for tips.

Learning NOT to SHAD at every possible opportunity was the first thing I had to learn in Smash 4. It literally was my go-to tactic in Brawl ('cuz tripping, and no, I didn't play Brawl competitively).

I recommend considering trying to crossup with it (because jabbing a crossup is hard) and reading/punishing the opponent's reaction. Against guys with long range attacks and holes up close (e.g. Marth) dodging through his hitbox range and Nair'ing is perfect.

Looking at http://smashboards.com/threads/roll-air-dodge-frame-data.401323/ it seems SHAD->Nair is active 7 frames after end of SHAD invincibility (36 frames from the first animation), which is totally interruptible on reaction by basically anyone (3 hit jab combo anyone?) and I can say it's trajectory is pretty readable too.

That said, Japan tends to lead the meta development and they started all doing this at once as I understand and the Marthina boards seem pretty heavy on SHAD too. So I'm probably missing something. Again, any ideas?

muddykips

Smash Apprentice
NNID
skippykips
3DS FC
3609-1085-1849
...isn't doublejump's armor instantaneous?

cause i was thinking, couldn't you DJ OoS against multihit moves to get a punish in while the attack is still going on, rather than waiting for the move to end (at which point they'll probably be out of range)?

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
Yoshi having the ability to jump out of shield feels great, but my question is: Can Yoshi fall through a platform out of egg shield?:(

EDIT: I've been trying this for 5+ minutes & haven't gotten any success.:urg:

Last edited:

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
That's a bit of a bummer, but thanks to the max. OoS N-air / U-smash are swell options nonetheless.

Top Bottom