• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Hideout of the Phantom Thieves - Joker Social

Best girl?

• Sae

Votes: 9 3.3%
  • Futaba

Votes: 91 33.7%
  • Ann

Votes: 26 9.6%
  • Haru

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Kawakami

Votes: 14 5.2%
  • Takemi

• Ohya

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Chiyaya

Votes: 4 1.5%
  • Hifumi

• Makoto

Votes: 65 24.1%

• Total voters

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
So just let me attempt to start a conversation without knowing anything about Persona: The Joker has a gang right? If they recorded new lines for the trailer.... could we get Joker Gang codecs in the style of Persona 5?

SupriceSupplies

Smash Journeyman
So just let me attempt to start a conversation without knowing anything about Persona: The Joker has a gang right? If they recorded new lines for the trailer.... could we get Joker Gang codecs in the style of Persona 5?
It's possible, and I would be ecstatic if they did that, but I feel like I'd be getting my hopes up a tad too much.

Zoljinx_

Smash Apprentice
I can honestly say I never saw it coming.

Jokes aside, congratulations on your character being invited to Smash! I've never played a persona game before, but the artstyle and music definitely have my interest piqued. it's always been a series i admired from afar since i'm not big on RPGs in most cases, and i never bothered to pick it up myself because of that reason.

Still, I'll openly welcome Joker to smash! can't wait to see what he plays like.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I would LOVE that. I even mentioned it way earlier in this thread. The Phantom Thieves has a "navigator" called Futaba who provides running commentary on their battles and upcoming threats and the role of the navigator is so iconic to Persona's aesthetic that in the fighting games they exist to encourage you through every fight. Having codecs or even just a fun Star Fox-esque Easter egg would be a wonderful tribute to the series and a great way to get other members of Joker's gang involved.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
I would LOVE that. I even mentioned it way earlier in this thread. The Phantom Thieves has a "navigator" called Futaba who provides running commentary on their battles and upcoming threats and the role of the navigator is so iconic to Persona's aesthetic that in the fighting games they exist to encourage you through every fight. Having codecs or even just a fun Star Fox-esque Easter egg would be a wonderful tribute to the series and a great way to get other members of Joker's gang involved.
I personally just like codec things lol. I'd have a unique codec for each character if I could.

Last edited:

DragonBlade64

Smash Apprentice
Just wanted to hop in here and say that this was legit the only newcomer reveal that actually made me squeal with joy. I didn't put Joker in my most wanted only because I didn't think he had much of a chance. Persona 5 was by far my favorite game last year that wasn't Mario or Zelda, so I'm beyond excited for this. Also, congrats to all the supporters!

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
It's a long shot but that'd be neat, would love to hear what Futaba, Ryuji, Makoto and Yusuke in particular have to say.
Otherwise I expect they'll be part of his final smash if they opt for All-Out Attack over summoning his Ultimate Persona

VioletSmashfan

Smash Ace
NNID
SVPfan89
3DS FC
2964-9317-6440
Congrats coming from a guy who's still holding onto hope that Shadow the Hedgehog can still get in!

Although this severely kills his chances for DLC, probably for good!

GolisoPower

Smash Master
I wanna give you guys my most sincere congratulations for finally receiving Joker! Though my knowledge of Persona derives mostly from BlazBlue Cross Tag Battle, I know enough that I can't help but feel happy for you guys!

Last edited:

magiciandude

Smash Journeyman
So I already see there are people writing off a possible Persona 5 port on the Switch because of characters like Snake and Cloud, but it's not fair to compare those characters to Joker because:
  • MGS4 was never going to happen on the Wii without making it implode. For it to work, it would have to be completely stripped down to the point that it may as well be a different game entirely.
  • Same for FF7 R on the Wii U, not that it matters since the original FF7 is coming to the Switch next year anyway.
  • Sony helped with the development of SF5, that's why you don't see it on the Xbone either. Besides, SF Anniversary collection was on the Switch, which includes SF3, a game that was never released on a Nintendo system previously.
  • Persona 5 was also released on the PS3, a last gen console. The Switch should have no problem running it.
So yeah, I'm 99% confident we'll have a Persona 5 port coming to the Switch and it will be probably announced at the next Nintendo Direct on January.

Last edited:

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Shower thought, guys:

On a scale from Square-Enix to Konami (with Konami being the most generous to Smash Bros), how much are you willing to bet Atlus is going to give to Smash in terms of Persona content?

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I must say...congratulations to you Jokers here...asked for a Sega and/or Sonic character, and I got one whom I know nothing about but you all love

a win-win

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
I've never played Persona 5, but everyone around me at the midnight release was ecstatic and lots of my friends love it, so despite not being a character I personally asked for, I'm hyped for him.

Beyond that, I'm sorry but this just proves no gaming character is off limits to Sakurai. Sora? Banjo? I think they've got legitimate chances for DLC.

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
Shower thought, guys:

On a scale from Square-Enix to Konami (with Konami being the most generous to Smash Bros), how much are you willing to bet Atlus is going to give to Smash in terms of Persona content?
Probably comparable to Bayonetta and Sonic, minus any ATs

amageish

Smash Master
Yeah, it's the fifth installment of a long-running RPG series that started as a spinoff of Shin Megami Tensei. SMT started on Nintendo consoles and still gets exclusive games to this day, while Persona is mostly on Sony ones (but has two exclusive 3DS titles - in fact, the first 3DS title, Persona Q, is the reason I have a 3DS XL. The limited edition design based on it is gorgeous.) And, yes, Joker has been a major part of Persona Q2's marketing.

He's slowly becoming ATLUS's most recognizable face, so him being in is tribute to everything they've done with Nintendo through the years as well as an incredibly hype first choice that still managed to be unexpected.

I'm still shaking over it and I just slept on it.
Yeah, for the record, Nintendo put out a press release where they bothered to point out how Persona is a SMT spin-off and that SMT is tied to Nintendo.
The Persona games are a spinoff of the popular Shin Megami Tensei franchise, which has a long and storied history in the world of video games – with many of the games appearing on Nintendo systems. Sporting an iconic mask and a variety of weapons, Joker is the main character of Persona 5, a beloved game that won Best Role-Playing Game and was nominated for Game of the Year at last year’s The Game Awards.
So, sounds like Joker was chosen as a MegaTen representative in general, representing a Nintendo-related series despite being from a non-Nintendo game a la Cloud. Or at least, that's the excuse Nintendo is using until Persona 5 gets a Switch port.

It's definitely possible! Joker's the first DLC character, so it's kind of up to him to set the bar for how much work will be involved with the creation of each DLC character. So, we'll see!

Shower thought, guys:

Given how they've been doing crossovers with everything from Puzzles and Dragons to Phantasy Star, I feel like ATLUS is willing to be kind with the licensing.

MeatOfJustice

Smash Journeyman
Well, this is what I wanted to post. Congratulations guys, I only played Persona 3 but I'm still excited.
I pray he brings some old school SMT music with him! those are hardcore.
That track is begging for a Motoi Sakuraba remix.
Kamoshida - Male Wii Fit Trainer
Kaneshiro - Wario
Futaba - Inkling (DUH)
Shido - Ganondorf or Incineroar

Got nothing for the rest :(
Olimar for Haru's dad and Bayonetta for Sae. And can we get a Futaba costume for Splatoon 2 now please?
Shower thought, guys:

ATLUS is owned by SEGA so expect something on that level (Sonic/Bayonetta), or maybe ATLUS is so excited that they give even more.

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster
Of course Joker's alt colors will be some of the other Phantom Thieves, I hope they make sure to change his hair color!

Hunter Nightblood

Smash Apprentice
NNID
kah0922
Even with Persona Q2 just being released, which technically ties Joker to Nintendo, I'm still in shock that this is happening.

Then again, SMT did start on the SNES.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Just wanted to pop in and say congratulations to all of you here!

I’m surprised and excited, I mean yeah I think the phrase you’ll never see it comin’ is pretty apt in this scenario. Personally I’ve only played P5 with my former roommate who’s a massive fan but I’ve enjoyed it and the series as a whole. I’m pleasantly surprised by his exclusion and I can’t wait to see him in action!

(Also I’ll admit that he was an idea I had for a guest character in a Sonic fighting game concept I’ve had in mind for a while, is there anywhere on the site I can further discuss those ideas?)

Hopefully this will be a sign that they’ll bring Persona 5 to the Switch kinda like how we’re finally getting FF7 among a few other FF games.

Last edited:

RetroMetalSonic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
retrog97
Hey, congrats on getting Joker, guys! I don't know a thing about the Persona series (aside from some of the music), but I might look into the series now that it's getting representation in Smash Bros.

Oh, also, does this mean there's a chance of getting Seeker of Truth from Persona 4: Arena as background music?

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Now I’m wondering if some of the Spirit Battles will be updated to accommodate Piranha Plant and Joker. Like Mach Rider’s Spirit Battle would be updated so you fight Joker instead of whoever you fight in that battle, for example, since both sides use guns and knives (if you factor in the lady in that one Mach Rider screen who some actually believe to be the titular character).

Last edited:

JCKirbs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SuperMushroomU
Just swinging by to say congratulations! Joker's inclusion really caught me off guard during the Game Awards, but I'm more than happy to welcome him into Smash! Enjoy your great character, guys!

SquashiniKun

Smash Ace
I got some ideas for some Persona themed Spirit Battles.
Maki (Revelations: Persona): Blue Zelda with two Female Villagers (Referencing Mai & Aki)
Chie: Green Alt Daisy with Red Alt Zelda
Yukiko: same as Chie's but in reverse
Teddie: Shulk in his white alt with Bewear constantly spawning.

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster
Matt Mercer has a character in Smash with Chrom, and now Xander Mobus who is the announcer also has his own character in Joker. Dreams come true.

ShinyRegice

Smash Lord
Well, I really didn't expect a Smash announcement at Game Awards, so I didn't bother watching it live (it was broadcasted at the worst moment of the night in Europe). So when I did a Google search this morning and saw "Joken is coming to Smash" I was utterly confused. However the main reason why I didn't expect a new character this soon is because it likely wouldn't be far in development, and with no gameplay footage yet it suggests that the character himself is not far enough in development to be shown yet, so I was half right at the end.

Even though I'm not very familiar with the series myself I vaguely remember briefly considering a Persona character as a possibility at some point due to it being one of Sega's most famous franchises, and to be fair with how liberal Smash has gone with third-parties at this point I reached the point where I'm not really surprised by character choices anymore... but after seeing people's reaction to this it's actually a pretty incredible addition when I think about it, being from a recent PlayStation exclusive game, combining the characteristics of both Cloud and Bayonetta which were reasons why they were unexpected for Smash 4 DLC.

Now I'm waiting for the gameplay trailer, but unlike Mewtwo we will have no idea of what his accurate moveset will be like until that point. First time Smash really lets us speculate about the moveset even though he has already been confirmed. I also hope the animated trailer means we will have at least some unique animations for DLC character announcements this time. I'm not sure we can expect actual CGI movies like we did with Ultimate newcomers, but for this animation at least the part with the silhouette of Smash characters is original.

Last edited:

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
CONGRATS YOU GUYS, YOU GOT WHAT YOU WANTED

TELL ME, HOW DO YOU FEEL WHEN YOU SAW THAT JOKER IS JOINING THE SMASH!
Soooooo good! To have suggested it and guessed such was one thing. But to see it come to fruition! Even as I believed it could very well happen. I never saw it coming still.

Last edited:

Graizen

Smash Champion
Important question:

The Poem of Everyone's Soul
The Poem of Everyone's Soul Remix
Or both?

Last edited:

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
Congratulations guys! I'm definitely looking forward to playing around with Joker a bit once he's released, but Piranha Plant is still going to be my main. I'm a plant loyalist. Hopefully he'll be fun to fight against.

Last edited:

MeatOfJustice

Smash Journeyman
I'm so glad this VA joke can finally be done. I got the pic on FB so I don't know the lamb sauce, but the signature is on the lower left corner.

47683934_2166971423631049_2912896482854043648_n.jpg

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
So, a few idle thoughts I had about this inclusion today:

Since P5 has a dancing spin-off, you guys figure one of Joker's taunts would include his dance moves?

Also, I can see why Sakurai picked him among Ninty's suggestions, seeing as he is a JoJo fanboy, the Persona characters are basically Stand users. Joker's name even STARTS with Jo, as an added bonus.

I'm pretty picky when it comes to third-parties in Smash. But I think Joker's a good choice! The SMT series has a long history on Nintendo and has carved itself a respectable niche into gaming culture altogether. P5's a solid RPG too. Welcome aboard, Joker!

(hopefully this isn't the only beloved JRPG series rep we get for DLC though!)
I heart that, mang. One could almost think that Ninty got tired of trying to negotiate with SE and went for an RPG character that's easier to get in the meantime.

ATLUS is owned by SEGA so expect something on that level (Sonic/Bayonetta), or maybe ATLUS is so excited that they give even more.
That'd be nice, if anyone follows me, they expect who I'd want to see as a spirit, hee ho-ho. A certain scarlet cat burglar as an AT would be nice, though I'm not holding my breath on that.

Even with Persona Q2 just being released, which technically ties Joker to Nintendo, I'm still in shock that this is happening.

Then again, SMT did start on the SNES.
I had no doubts it'd happen eventually.

Just not for this specific game. :eek:

Last edited:

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
Kudos to all Joker supporters. I've seen pictures of this character before, but never knew his name.

I recently watched the beginning portion of Persona 5, and I dare say, it looks like a very stylish game. I really like the animation style; it reminds me of Death Note. Furthermore, the writing is excellent. I really hope this game gets ported to the Switch.

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
Wow... I definitely didn't see it coming (Yeah, I know... original joke. But it just had to be made!)

Anyway, congrats to all you guys!
Joker was one of the very few characters that I didn't support, but would still love to have in the game.
And he's not just in as DLC, but the first DLC character for Ultimate.
Wow... just wow.
That's all I can say on the matter.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
Shower thought, guys:

At the end of teh day Atlus is under SEGA right now, so SEGA would be a good measurment.

Sega does have some licencing caveats on the music department, so i don't think we are getting new remixes, but by no means we are getting "only 2 tracks" Bayonetta is a good example. I think we are at least getting Bayonetta levels of content. with an Assist trophy and a couple of spirits not completely out of teh question. I wonder if they are giving us some shin megami tensei content though... a couple of spirits and tracks would certainly help Hype SMTV and while Morgana would make a great AT, i kinda wish we get an Jack Frost AT instead.

Top Bottom