• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Hideout of the Phantom Thieves - Joker Social

Best girl?

• Sae

Votes: 9 3.3%
  • Futaba

Votes: 91 33.7%
  • Ann

Votes: 26 9.6%
  • Haru

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Kawakami

Votes: 14 5.2%
  • Takemi

• Ohya

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Chiyaya

Votes: 4 1.5%
  • Hifumi

• Makoto

Votes: 65 24.1%

• Total voters

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
That's a very symbolic point... Uh... My first thought is a boxing ring, given how you have people to attend on you between matches, but that stage is already in Smash Brothers... Also, would they invent a new attendant for this hypothetical stage?
I don't think they would bring in a new attendant, as they did not do that for the Dancing games.

Also, squeezing in one last P5R prediction before it is probably revealed tomorrow: They could also restore Hifumi to her position as a story character, I suppose? I don't know if they'd do that given how she (assumedly) was cut for a reason, but if the reason was "the game is long enough already" then they'd already be lengthening it for P5R...

If they did that, then my prediction is:

she'd be based on the Phantom of the Opera. While he's not a trickster character per say, the fact that Hifumi's story is all about the pursuit of art over fame makes him resonate thematically. Plus, the game is full of masks, "phantom" theives and references to European literature anyway, so it's not like he wouldn't fit in.
That is a possibilty, but the big question is how would they fit her in this already tight story and schedule? I do like your idea of what her inspiration could be.

Off-topic, but something I just noticed about the Joker subforum that's funny to me.

With all the other third parties, the description for their subforum is like:

"Discuss all information concerning Simon/Richter, confirmed for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate on Nintendo Switch!"
"Discuss all information concerning Cloud, confirmed for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate on Nintendo Switch!"
So on and so forth. But Joker gets this:
"Discuss all information concerning Joker from Persona 5, confirmed for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate on Nintendo Switch!"

Joker's so special, the mods want to remind people what game he's from.
The reveal did "Joker from Persona 5" as well, so perhaps that is influencing things?

Okay if this happened with the remake it'd be the only thing to push it over the top for me. I am such a Phantom fan it's unfunny. I've read the book, seen the musical, seen so many of the movies...Yes please.

However! I'd also argue he is in no way a hero or heroic character, so I'm not sure he counts or fits the theme...

Still, "Erik" or "Fantome" as a Persona would make me weep.
I mean, I think there were some Personas our party had that were at least morally questionable. Futaba did have the Necronomicon.

Anyways, I decided just so I could maybe have a "I called it!" moment down the line, I decided to try and predict a P5R feature as well. Except I am going to note as many things I can possibly think of, no matter how ridiculous.
  • Akechi will have his own campaign of sorts
  • There will be a FeMC
  • Someone else will be revealed as Shido's ******* child
  • A past Attendant will make a cameo
  • There will be Nintendo stuff if this is Switch exclusive
  • Adachi will make a more prominent cameo
  • Naoto will play a role
  • Door-Kun will make an appearance
  • Philemon will do something(Yes, despite my lack of pre-P3 Persona knowledge, I know who that is)
  • You can date the guys
  • More will happen over the time Joker is in prison
  • A new character will be introduced
  • The actual Igor will be a secret boss

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
Okay if this happened with the remake it'd be the only thing to push it over the top for me. I am such a Phantom fan it's unfunny. I've read the book, seen the musical, seen so many of the movies...Yes please.

However! I'd also argue he is in no way a hero or heroic character, so I'm not sure he counts or fits the theme...

Still, "Erik" or "Fantome" as a Persona would make me weep.
I'd agree he's not a heroic character, but I also don't think that is needed for the personae in this game.

I mean, Ann's persona Carmen and Haru's persona Milady de Winter are definitely villains in the fictional works they debuted. Ren's Arsene is an anti-hero and Akechi's Robin Hood is typically viewed as a hero, but is still a thief. Goemon is nowadays considered a hero, but he's historically attempted assassin that gained a Robin-Hood-esque reputation over time. Futaba's Necronomicon is a book without real moral standing, but reading it does mean that you will die soon, which sounds non-ideal. Morgana's Zorro and Makoto's Johanna are the only really objectively-good characters as far as I know, being good people who were mistreated by evil authority.

The ultimate personae are pretty much the same, ranging from "actually evil" to "good but misunderstood."

There are basically two trends in the persona as far as I can tell: (i) they are characters who defied societal order and (ii) they are usually characters who are viewed as scary by general society because of their defiance, oftentimes acting as fictional "justifications" for real-life societal fears (ex/ the story of Carmen is meant to justify fears of Romani people). I'd say that Erik definitely meets this standard.

Oh, and also Hifumi's concept art has her facing away from you, which would make sense if they used the musical's half-mask as her mask.

That was a needlessly-long discussion... Oops.

I don't think they would bring in a new attendant, as they did not do that for the Dancing games.
True..

That is a possibilty, but the big question is how would they fit her in this already tight story and schedule? I do like your idea of what her inspiration could be.
Yeah, that's the problem. My theory is that that palace was going to be

After Futaba's palace. Shadow Futaba is supposed to represent acedia (a Sloth-esque "sin" once considered to be a separete deadly "sin") according to the calling card she is given, but also represents wrath through its bossfight. I think Hifumi's mother was at one point going to be wrath with Shadow Futaba being fought in a sort of P4 throwback.

I don't think they'd put it in that slot though (unless they go full Catherine Full Body and move around chronology too), so I dunno what they'd do. I just figured I'd throw it on the prediction pile.

Anyways, I decided just so I could maybe have a "I called it!" moment down the line, I decided to try and predict a P5R feature as well. Except I am going to note as many things I can possibly think of, no matter how ridiculous.
Good list! I bet you'll probably get a couple of those right at least.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Ever since it was mentioned here, my number one hope for P5R is

More dungeons, especially one that happens while Joker is in prison. It'd be fun to see the thieves go around without their leader. That, and an Akechi campaign would be sweet.

Also, speaking of FeMC, I saw a really cool design for a P5 FeMC once. It wasn't just genderbent Joker, it was like a whole new character. All I remember of the design is that she had white hair.

FlintIke

Smash Journeyman
This Sakurai Gif is the cutest thing I have ever seen in a long time lmao and I don't even like Morgana that much:

With that said I know I am kinda late to the party but I am so hyped about Joker coming to smash ultimate <3 .
And I won't lie, I didn't want to support him at first since I thought it's just more than impossible that someone from one of my favorite JRPG series's will make it into the game. But I was never happier to be more wrong than I am now.

I am so glad that Sakurai also loves the Persona Series as well and has played it since Persona 3, so all of us can most likely expect great things such as P3 - P5 music coming with Joker <3

Maybe he will even consider Yu Narukami as an AT... But let's just wait and see, I am just happy to see the impossible possible and as the first DLC too <3

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I'd agree he's not a heroic character, but I also don't think that is needed for the personae in this game.

I mean, Ann's persona Carmen and Haru's persona Milady de Winter are definitely villains in the fictional works they debuted. Ren's Arsene is an anti-hero and Akechi's Robin Hood is typically viewed as a hero, but is still a thief. Goemon is nowadays considered a hero, but he's historically attempted assassin that gained a Robin-Hood-esque reputation over time. Futaba's Necronomicon is a book without real moral standing, but reading it does mean that you will die soon, which sounds non-ideal. Morgana's Zorro and Makoto's Johanna are the only really objectively-good characters as far as I know, being good people who were mistreated by evil authority.

The ultimate personae are pretty much the same, ranging from "actually evil" to "good but misunderstood."

There are basically two trends in the persona as far as I can tell: (i) they are characters who defied societal order and (ii) they are usually characters who are viewed as scary by general society because of their defiance, oftentimes acting as fictional "justifications" for real-life societal fears (ex/ the story of Carmen is meant to justify fears of Romani people). I'd say that Erik definitely meets this standard.

Oh, and also Hifumi's concept art has her facing away from you, which would make sense if they used the musical's half-mask as her mask.
That was a needlessly-long discussion... Oops.
Huh, does character concept art ususally have those little details? I just kinda realized something, doesn't (You know who) kinda have an opera like all out attack? Not saying that would make Hifumi an impossibility, just saying that is something I randomly noticed.

Good list! I bet you'll probably get a couple of those right at least.
Yeah, some of these are not as ridiculous as I though they would be when I first thought of them. Kinda simple actually, but I do want to note some things.
Does anyone get the sense that if Shido had another child we did not know about, it's going to be Futaba? The fact that we don't know her father and that is highlighted kinda causes me to raise my eyebrow. And I will say, when I saw Shido's boss phases, my attention immediately went to the similarity's they had with elements of Futaba's Palace.
It is also kinda odd, from a purely logical standpoint, that Naoto played no factor at all in this story. I mean, we have a new Detective Prince, a big mystery that is sweeping the nation, and even Phantom Thieves(Which were in Naoto's social link, though that is likely a coincidence), and yet she never even gets a name drop. I can understand wanting to separate your past protag's from the new game, but this is still kinda weird.

Ever since it was mentioned here, my number one hope for P5R is

More dungeons, especially one that happens while Joker is in prison. It'd be fun to see the thieves go around without their leader. That, and an Akechi campaign would be sweet.

Also, speaking of FeMC, I saw a really cool design for a P5 FeMC once. It wasn't just genderbent Joker, it was like a whole new character. All I remember of the design is that she had white hair.
That is a good point actually. A P5 FeMC wouldn't just be a genderbent Joker, as P3's FeMC is certainly not a genderbent MC. And when it comes to hair, red and blue are kinda opposites in many ways, so if Joker's FeMC were to follow similar logic, she would have white hair.

Maybe he will even consider Yu Narukami as an AT... But let's just wait and see, I am just happy to see the impossible possible and as the first DLC too <3
I don't know, having two sword wielding bad***es voiced by Johnny Yong Bosch as AT's may be pushing it.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
I really don't want an Akechi campaign to be the focus of new content in P5R. I didn't like the answer at all. I just want more time as Ren. Having Hifumi incorporated into the phantom thieves and getting a dungeon sounds perfect. I vastly prefer the way P4 handled extra content to P3. The answer felt like just a grindy side story, while the extra season in golden actually felt like an extension of the game. If they go the P3 route I may not bother picking it up.

amageish

Smash Master
Huh, does character concept art ususally have those little details? I just kinda realized something, doesn't (You know who) kinda have an opera like all out attack? Not saying that would make Hifumi an impossibility, just saying that is something I randomly noticed.
I mean, it's art used to pitch the concept of a character, so it's usually pretty all-inclusive. That said, it's just a random observation, we don't know how long she was planned to be playable before being cut - it's possible she was cut before she was designed.

Yeah, some of these are not as ridiculous as I though they would be when I first thought of them. Kinda simple actually, but I do want to note some things.
Does anyone get the sense that if Shido had another child we did not know about, it's going to be Futaba? The fact that we don't know her father and that is highlighted kinda causes me to raise my eyebrow. And I will say, when I saw Shido's boss phases, my attention immediately went to the similarity's they had with elements of Futaba's Palace.
It is also kinda odd, from a purely logical standpoint, that Naoto played no factor at all in this story. I mean, we have a new Detective Prince, a big mystery that is sweeping the nation, and even Phantom Thieves(Which were in Naoto's social link, though that is likely a coincidence), and yet she never even gets a name drop. I can understand wanting to separate your past protag's from the new game, but this is still kinda weird.
Yeah, I agree that Futaba would make sense; however, I also dunno if that is the type of thing that couldn't easily have been in the base game if it was intended to be the case? I mean, sure, it could be explored in an Akechi-esque "The Anwser," but still... I feel like that'd be a pretty big retcon.

Agreed, though I think you hit the nail on the head with the seperation of games. Naoto would make sense being added in R though, yeah. I am unironically wondering if they're setting up for a Persona police force sometime though, as we have a lot of party members becoming detectives and police officers across the series...

That is a good point actually. A P5 FeMC wouldn't just be a genderbent Joker, as P3's FeMC is certainly not a genderbent MC. And when it comes to hair, red and blue are kinda opposites in many ways, so if Joker's FeMC were to follow similar logic, she would have white hair.
True! The character designer noted that in his artbook earlier this year, which reminds me of something: they had a different director for P3P (he recalls her rejecting his initial concept for the FeMC due to her not being #relatable enough).

Given how P5's director is currently working on both Project Re:Fantasy and Catherine: Full Body, there is maybe a higher chance of a FeMC being included just because he wouldn't have to be juggling as many things? Maybe? I dunno.

I really don't want an Akechi campaign to be the focus of new content in P5R. I didn't like the answer at all. I just want more time as Ren. Having Hifumi incorporated into the phantom thieves and getting a dungeon sounds perfect. I vastly prefer the way P4 handled extra content to P3. The answer felt like just a grindy side story, while the extra season in golden actually felt like an extension of the game. If they go the P3 route I may not bother picking it up.
Yeah, if they do go the Anwser route, I hope they learn from their mistakes. While I did like the story of The Answer, the grinding in it was one of the least fun moments I've had in a Persona game - somehow worse then that super-annoying fourth dungeon in Persona Q.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Yeah, I agree that Futaba would make sense; however, I also dunno if that is the type of thing that couldn't easily have been in the base game if it was intended to be the case? I mean, sure, it could be explored in an Akechi-esque "The Anwser," but still... I feel like that'd be a pretty big retcon.

Agreed, though I think you hit the nail on the head with the seperation of games. Naoto would make sense being added in R though, yeah. I am unironically wondering if they're setting up for a Persona police force sometime though, as we have a lot of party members becoming detectives and police officers across the series...
If there was an Akechi campain, then it being saved for P5R would make a lot more sense to me. And it ain't a retcon if the truth has never been reveled up to that point, especially if it was just hidden till now to give P5R some extra twists that relates to the base story.
I would totally play a Persona cop game. Actualy, if I recall correct, didn't they give Naoto her own extra manga story that took place a few years after P4? I heard it was not well liked though and that Naoto had long hair. Those two things are not releted to each other I think, but those are the most notable traits I can recall. I have no idea if it is canon.

True! The character designer noted that in his artbook earlier this year, which reminds me of something: they had a different director for P3P (he recalls her rejecting his initial concept for the FeMC due to her not being #relatable enough).

Given how P5's director is currently working on both Project Re:Fantasy and Catherine: Full Body, there is maybe a higher chance of a FeMC being included just because he wouldn't have to be juggling as many things? Maybe? I dunno.
Interesting. I still think there would be quite a workload with making a FeMC for the game, but I guess that depends upon how involved they want the change to be.

Yeah, if they do go the Anwser route, I hope they learn from their mistakes. While I did like the story of The Answer, the grinding in it was one of the least fun moments I've had in a Persona game - somehow worse then that super-annoying fourth dungeon in Persona Q.
I do think they went into P5 with something in mind for when they make a new version of the game, so they have had plenty of time to think about this.

Last edited:

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
Instead of doing an Answer style thing for Goro, I'd just make a DMC/Bayonetta style action game. Though Ren and Yu would also be playable

amageish

Smash Master
If there was an Akechi campain, then it being saved for P5R would make a lot more sense to me. And it ain't a retcon if the truth has never been reveled up to that point, especially if it was just hidden till now to give P5R some extra twists that relate to the base story.
I would totally play a Persona cop game. Actualy, if I recall correct, didn't they give Naoto her own extra manga story that took place a few years after P4? I heard it was not well liked though and that Naoto had long hair. Those two things are not releted to each other I think, but those are the most notable traits I can recall. I have no idea if it is canon.
That is fair! I don't know how I would feel personally about a reveal of that magnitude being saved for an enhanced port, but it's not like I can complain about the base game lacking content... True that it would not be a retcon though - it's just a big reveal.

Yeah, there was a manga about that... All I know is that it had Tsukuyomi (later used as Sho's persona in Ultimax) in it to some degree and that it was declared non-canon when Ultimax came out (to much rejoicing). So, yeah, I guess my request should be clarified: I want a good Persona cop story.

Interesting. I still think there would be quite a workload with making a FeMC for the game, but I guess that depends upon how involved they want the change to be.
Oh, it would still be a tonne of work. It would just be work for someone other then Katsura Hashino, who is already working on two games ATM (though Catherine will be done soon enough and there are other producers of Persona who could be taking on his role this time). Semi-related, but they've been increasing their staff lately.

Instead of doing an Answer style thing for Goro, I'd just make a DMC/Bayonetta style action game. Though Ren and Yu would also be playable
That would be awesome.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
While that would be cool, would Akechi be the best character to have as a focus for that sort of gameplay?
Both Robin hood and Loki don't seem like the best fit for that sort of hack and slash gameplay. The protag's fit that role much better.
I will say though, I feel like a Warriors game would better fit the Persona series, as that would be able to include a bunch more playable characters, Persona's and teamwork mechanics. And then I recalled this video, which I feel explains the appeal of this idea better than I can.
(This video does have P5 battle clips relating to later characters and the game's secret boss, so spoiler warning)

That is fair! I don't know how I would feel personally about a reveal of that magnitude being saved for an enhanced port, but it's not like I can complain about the base game lacking content... True that it would not be a retcon though - it's just a big reveal.

Yeah, there was a manga about that... All I know is that it had Tsukuyomi (later used as Sho's persona in Ultimax) in it to some degree and that it was declared non-canon when Ultimax came out (to much rejoicing). So, yeah, I guess my request should be clarified: I want a good Persona cop story.
How do you feel about the idea that Atlus definitely went into the original P5 knowing that they would be making an enhanced version of the game a few years down the line? This stuff is kinda to be expected, if you ask me.

All I can imagine now is a Persona buddy cop film staring a variety of detective characters. Maybe that's because there is is a ton of Persona X 22 Jump Street memes, even if it just relating to one scene from the film and one meme'd thing about Joker.

Edit: Wait, is 22 Jump Street a buddy cop film? I don't know, I have not actually seen it, that is just what I assumed.

Edit 2: Also, since this art tweet fit the discussions that was had not to long ago about Mii costumes, I felt it was good to post here before I forget.

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
How do you feel about the idea that Atlus definitely went into the original P5 knowing that they would be making an enhanced version of the game a few years down the line? This stuff is kinda to be expected, if you ask me.

All I can imagine now is a Persona buddy cop film staring a variety of detective characters. Maybe that's because there is is a ton of Persona X 22 Jump Street memes, even if it just relating to one scene from the film and one meme'd thing about Joker.
Edit: Wait, is 22 Jump Street a buddy cop film? I don't know, I have not actually seen it, that is just what I assumed.
I mean, I am aware it definitely happened and generally don't mind. Like...

Akechi's death being left ambigious for spin-offs is something that I don't loathe, even though it's mildly annoying. I just don't love the idea of having a plot twist concerning one of the main characters that could have easily been in the base game being saved for the rerelease?

And, uh, I have no idea about 22 Jump Street. But, yes, let's gather the Persona cast and have a buddy copy film ft. ~5 buddies. Why not?

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I mean, I am aware it definitely happened and generally don't mind. Like...

Akechi's death being left ambigious for spin-offs is something that I don't loathe, even though it's mildly annoying. I just don't love the idea of having a plot twist concerning one of the main characters that could have easily been in the base game being saved for the rerelease?

And, uh, I have no idea about 22 Jump Street. But, yes, let's gather the Persona cast and have a buddy copy film ft. ~5 buddies. Why not?
I guess it is all a matter of the value of said twist. Let's say it was revealed in base game that Shido was also Futaba's father. What value would that have? It would just cause a lot of angst for Futaba to get over, not that it could not be great. It would also kinda make the Akechi version of this twist have less impact, especially if the reveal's were very close to each other, as they likely would be. Now think if this twist was revealed while we are in a hypothetical Akechi campain? How would that affect both Futaba and Akechi's perspective of one another, especially if we are in another team up scenario. That is filled with narrative possibility's and has much more time to flesh out the idea, unlike if this twist was revealed during the Shido arc in base game.

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
I guess it is all a matter of the value of said twist. Let's say it was revealed in base game that Shido was also Futaba's father. What value would that have? It would just cause a lot of angst for Futaba to get over, not that it could not be great. It would also kinda make the Akechi version of this twist have less impact, especially if the reveal's were very close to each other, as they likely would be. Now think if this twist was revealed while we are in a hypothetical Akechi campain? How would that affect both Futaba and Akechi's perspective of one another, especially if we are in another team up scenario. That is filled with narrative possibility's and has much more time to flesh out the idea, unlike if this twist was revealed during the Shido arc in base game.
True, it would be depend on when the twist is revealed mostly. My thought was that Akechi could be choosing to protect the family that cares about him through his "sacrifice" in addition to finally taking on his abusive father in his "death" scene. I agree that it definitely could have felt tacked on as well, were it in the late game, but I don't know if it won't feel that way if it's revealed post-Shido's-palace? I'm sure they have their reasons for doing whatever they end up doing though. It definitely would suit a proper full redemption arc for Akechi very well - and also cause some good extra parallelism between Akechi and Ren given how Futaba is part of Ren's found family already.

I dunno. I guess I was just anticipating it as a twist when playing game and find it weird to think about how it could become true over two years later haha.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
True, it would be depend on when the twist is revealed mostly. My thought was that Akechi could be choosing to protect the family that cares about him through his "sacrifice" in addition to finally taking on his abusive father in his "death" scene. I agree that it definitely could have felt tacked on as well, were it in the late game, but I don't know if it won't feel that way if it's revealed post-Shido's-palace? I'm sure they have their reasons for doing whatever they end up doing though. It definitely would suit a proper full redemption arc for Akechi very well - and also cause some good extra parallelism between Akechi and Ren given how Futaba is part of Ren's found family already.

I dunno. I guess I was just anticipating it as a twist when playing game and find it weird to think about how it could become true over two years later haha.
There is so many ways this all can go. For Pete's sake, we don't even know if this new thing is going to involve Akechi as the main focus(Though it is very likely. Seriously, I would be shocked if he was actually dead) let alone the factors that will play into this hypothetical arc. I just hope that this special episode I have been hearing about sheds some light on what to expect and has some concrete speculation fuel. I heard it was on the 30th, but time zones are a thing, so I have no clue when this thing is going to be released.

In other Persona discussion, I brought this up before as kinda a joke, but does anyone here know of Dokapon Kingdom? I believe it could play a factor of inspiration in the possible Persona board game spin off that was talked about before.

StormC

Smash Hero
Just hit the 25 hour mark, completed the Madarame arc wholesale.

I think my only real complaint with the game so far is how many Confidants are barred by your stats. It does make you maximize your time to raise your stats as frequently as possible, but part of me can't help but feel like it was put in as an incentive to play NG+. Though I could definitely see myself jumping into that when this is all done, if nothing else to experience it with the English voices this time. I held off a NG+ for Persona 4 for years because I was hoping for a price drop on the Vita so I could pick it up along with Golden.

Oops.

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Just hit the 25 hour mark, completed the Madarame arc wholesale.

I think my only real complaint with the game so far is how many Confidants are barred by your stats. It does make you maximize your time to raise your stats as frequently as possible, but part of me can't help but feel like it was put in as an incentive to play NG+. Though I could definitely see myself jumping into that when this is all done, if nothing else to experience it with the English voices this time. I held off a NG+ for Persona 4 for years because I was hoping for a price drop on the Vita so I could pick it up along with Golden.

Oops.
I will say, there is one confidant that makes that sort of management easier, if you are open to the thread giving non spoiler recommendations. Also, your playing with the Japanese voices? Nothing wrong with that, just curious.
That Vita thing is a big oof though.

StormC

Smash Hero
I will say, there is one confidant that makes that sort of management easier, if you are open to the thread giving non spoiler recommendations. Also, your playing with the Japanese voices? Nothing wrong with that, just curious.
That Vita thing is a big oof though.
Sure, I'll take the recommendation.

And yeah, playing with Japanese voices. I'm anal about consuming all media in its original language.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Sure, I'll take the recommendation.

And yeah, playing with Japanese voices. I'm anal about consuming all media in its original language.
Max out temperance as soon as you can. It will save you a ton of time in the long run.

I am more of a "I want to understand what the heck I am hearing" sort of person, but I can understand that to a small extent. Though, its more from a location perspective in game when it does comes up. Yakuza in anything other than Japanese bother's me, though I am not bothered by Persona in English, so I guess I am just very selective when it comes to that.

amageish

Smash Master
There is so many ways this all can go. For Pete's sake, we don't even know if this new thing is going to involve Akechi as the main focus(Though it is very likely. Seriously, I would be shocked if he was actually dead) let alone the factors that will play into this hypothetical arc. I just hope that this special episode I have been hearing about sheds some light on what to expect and has some concrete speculation fuel. I heard it was on the 30th, but time zones are a thing, so I have no clue when this thing is going to be released.

In other Persona discussion, I brought this up before as kinda a joke, but does anyone here know of Dokapon Kingdom? I believe it could play a factor of inspiration in the possible Persona board game spin off that was talked about before.
Yeah, it'll be interesting to see what they do, given how it's all speculation (though it may just be a teaser we get tomorrow). The episode airs on December 30th at 12:30AM Japan Standard Time, so not much of a wait now! I dunno when Crunchyroll will get it though (if you planned on watching the full episode).

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Yeah, it'll be interesting to see what they do, given how it's all speculation (though it may just be a teaser we get tomorrow). The episode airs on December 30th at 12:30AM Japan Standard Time, so not much of a wait now! I dunno when Crunchyroll will get it though (if you planned on watching the full episode).
I am just curious of the new teaser, not the episode itself. I have heard that the anime is not that good.

amageish

Smash Master
I am just curious of the new teaser, not the episode itself. I have heard that the anime is not that good.
Oh, well there will be a teaser in the commericals, though they're also claiming to have something excitement-worthy occur within the episode itself (which is an hour-long special). That said, I'm sure Persona Central will cover whatever it is they do differently.

IMHO the anime is perfectly servicable, but it's not like one can adapt a juggernaut of a JRPG like Persona without sacrifices.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Oh, well there will be a teaser in the commericals, though they're also claiming to have something excitement-worthy occur within the episode itself (which is an hour-long special). That said, I'm sure Persona Central will cover whatever it is they do differently.

IMHO the anime is perfectly servicable, but it's not like one can adapt a juggernaut of a JRPG like Persona without sacrifices.
I know one of the highlights of the P4 anime was that Yu had a lot of great monents and personality for someone who was a silent protag. How does that play out for Joker?

osby

Smash Obsessed
I know one of the highlights of the P4 anime was that Yu had a lot of great monents and personality for someone who was a silent protag. How does that play out for Joker?
He's pretty bland, imo.

I think P3 movies (at least first two) and P4 anime were much better at giving protagonists a personality.

StormC

Smash Hero
Max out temperance as soon as you can. It will save you a ton of time in the long run.

I am more of a "I want to understand what the heck I am hearing" sort of person, but I can understand that to a small extent. Though, its more from a location perspective in game when it does comes up. Yakuza in anything other than Japanese bother's me, though I am not bothered by Persona in English, so I guess I am just very selective when it comes to that.
Got it. I just initiated it but I need more Guts to move forward so I'm trying to work on that stat.

I've watched thousands of episodes of anime in Japanese so I'm very used to it by now. When you throw in a dub there's an extra layer added to the original product that I don't want to deal with, further removing it from the original intent. To me it'd be the same as watching a dub of a foreign film.

Not that all dubs are bad or anything, I'm sure the P5 dub is done well, but I'm a bit of a purist, I suppose. This is especially the case in Persona, which takes place in Japan. The dub is already using things like honorifics, so I figure I might as well just listen to the Japanese version. The only downside is not everything is subtitled (some battle chatter, dialogue in movies), but it's fine for me.

Also, Joker is Jun Fukuyama, so how could I turn that down?

amageish

Smash Master
What osby said. For Yu, they did a cute-ish thing wherein he gained social stats throughout the show leading to him growing from comedic deadpan to a caring supportive friend (then he remained caring in the Golden anime, as they acted as if that was the New Game+ of the original anime ((which was admittedly pretty clever))). Makoto was basically just Makoto - he has a somewhat defined stoticism to him. Joker is... just kind of there?

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Shame Joker does not have more personality. I guess the next best shot we got at more personality for Joker is if the dub decided to Ghost Stories it a bit, though that is pretty unlikely.

StormC

Smash Hero
It sounds like the inverse of Yu. Yu was just a complete blank slate in Persona 4, nothing really interesting to latch onto. In the anime he's great, while Joker manages to exude quite a bit of personality and flair in Persona 5 proper.

osby

Smash Obsessed
It sounds like the inverse of Yu. Yu was just a complete blank slate in Persona 4, nothing really interesting to latch onto. In the anime he's great, while Joker manages to exude quite a bit of personality and flair in Persona 5 proper.
I wouldn't call him a complete blank slate, in-game options allowed fans to come up with a lot of interpretations of Yu, like his over-fondness of Nanako and cats. You can't do this with a complete blank slate (aka Boy with Earring).

FlintIke

Smash Journeyman
While you guys are on the topic of the animation of P5:

I personally loved the P4 animation, which is one of the reasons why Yu Narukami became my favorite Persona character (that and because P4 was my first one lmao).

So my question is: Is the P5 animation any good? Since I heard a lot of criticism or hate when it comes to the anime.
If it isn't I won't bother and might pick up my third P5 playthrough again instead...

osby

Smash Obsessed
While you guys are on the topic of the animation of P5:

I personally loved the P4 animation, which is one of the reasons why Yu Narukami became my favorite Persona character (that and because P4 was my first one lmao).

So my question is: Is the P5 animation any good? Since I heard a lot of criticism or hate when it comes to the anime.
If it isn't I won't bother and might pick up my third P5 playthrough again instead...
It's decent. It did a few scenes more justice, but some it didn't.

I don't think you'll lost much if you don't watch it but if you want, give it a shot.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I will say though, I feel like a Warriors game would better fit the Persona series, as that would be able to include a bunch more playable characters, Persona's and teamwork mechanics. And then I recalled this video, which I feel explains the appeal of this idea better than I can.
(This video does have P5 battle clips relating to later characters and the game's secret boss, so spoiler warning)

Super Mario Warriors is a must, just sayin'.

Welcome to being a Persona fan.
Seems like it'd suit me just fine, given how much time it takes to finish an average playthrough of FOTNS: Lost Paradise. Which has English voice actors from ATLUS' staple, amusingly enough.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868

Oh my God, you should watch the Runaway Guys play that game. It's hysterical.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Oh my God, you should watch the Runaway Guys play that game. It's hysterical.
How do you think I learned about the game?;)

Anyway, I have a question for you all. If P5R were to get Nintendo content, what would you want to be there? You don't have to be realistic about it.

osby

Smash Obsessed
How do you think I learned about the game?;)

Anyway, I have a question for you all. If P5R were to get Nintendo content, what would you want to be there? You don't have to be realistic about it.
Nintendo character outftits. P5D and P3D already have Yakuza and Virtua Fighter costumes and Bayonetta can dress up as Fox, Link, Peach etc.

I think it'd be a great nod.

Last edited:
Top Bottom