• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Hideout of the Phantom Thieves - Joker Social

Best girl?

• Sae

Votes: 9 3.3%
  • Futaba

Votes: 91 33.7%
  • Ann

Votes: 26 9.6%
  • Haru

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Kawakami

Votes: 14 5.2%
  • Takemi

• Ohya

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Chiyaya

Votes: 4 1.5%
  • Hifumi

• Makoto

Votes: 65 24.1%

• Total voters

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
It also more or less confirms my theory that the other DLC fighters might get trailers of their own (which was sorely lacking much of any in 4's DLC dev cycle).
It would be keen if by the time the first DLC pack is released, we'll at least have gotten all the trailers showcasing the 5 characters, so by the time Joker is released, we can make decisions regarding whether or not we want to buy the Season pass or not.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
My god, that Morgana Kirby is nothing short of adorable.
I can't wait to see him with Joker's mask, hopefully with him screaming "PERSONA!"
That does remind me, Joker's standard special would have to be something that Kirby can also use, right? Wouldn't that give us an idea of what it could possibly be, or at least it's complexity?

osby

Smash Obsessed
That does remind me, Joker's standard special would have to be something that Kirby can also use, right? Wouldn't that give us an idea of what it could possibly be, or at least it's complexity?
:ultrosalina::ultinkling::ultolimar::ultrobin: have pretty weird neutral specials and they still find a way to corporate them into Kirby. So I guess not.

I just want him yelling "I am thou!", tbh

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
:ultrosalina::ultinkling::ultolimar::ultrobin: have pretty weird neutral specials and they still find a way to corporate them into Kirby. So I guess not.

I just want him yelling "I am thou!", tbh
True, but I would argue that :ultolimar: is the only weird copy out of all of those. All of the other's still used just the base move and all that came with it, but the Olimar copy combined both the standard special and the side special.

I personally hope that if Kirby summons a Persona, instead of Arsene showing up, it will be Void Termina.

amageish

Smash Master
I was planning to goto sleep, but then this showed up in my feed and I'm freaking out now. But man Sakurai is looking good.
Check out @p_kouhou’s Tweet: https://twitter.com/p_kouhou/status/1078198898315845634?s=09

Edit: Mystic translated the video interview! https://twitter.com/MysticDistance/status/1078213685192126464?s=19
Holy moly. A fan since Persona 1? Aims to max out all the social links on his first playthrough? Also loves Etrian Odyssey and is currently playing PQ2?

I knew Sakurai respected the game, but this is an impressive tier of fanboy.

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Holy moly. A fan since Persona 1? Aims to max out all the social links on his first playthrough? Also loves Etrian Odyssey and is currently playing PQ2?

I knew Sakurai respected the game, but this is an impressive tier of fanboy.
It really makes you wonder about the selection process for this DLC. It was said that NoJ would play a role in the selection, but this is a very Sakurai character choice.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I was planning to goto sleep, but then this showed up in my feed and I'm freaking out now. But man Sakurai is looking good.
Check out @p_kouhou’s Tweet: https://twitter.com/p_kouhou/status/1078198898315845634?s=09

Edit: Mystic translated the video interview! https://twitter.com/MysticDistance/status/1078213685192126464?s=19
>one of his favorite elements of Persona is the All-Out attack system

I think we won't need to worry about the FS at all. Also, from this we can be guaranteed to have spirits from pre-P3 entries.

It really makes you wonder about the selection process for this DLC. It was said that NoJ would play a role in the selection, but this is a very Sakurai character choice.
As some expected all along, he still gets to pick anyone that interests him in some way from suggestions given to him. This will be very interesting and possibly gratifying. It's likely that NoJ didn't actually expect him to choose a character that barely managed to fit his Nintendo appearance criteria in time.

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
>one of his favorite elements of Persona is the All-Out attack system

I think we won't need to worry about the FS at all. Also, from this we can be guaranteed to have spirits from pre-P3 entries.

As some expected all along, he still gets to pick anyone that interests him in some way from suggestions given to him. This will be very interesting and possibly gratifying.
I am still not sure of non-P5 spirits, as so far it's only ever said Super Smash Bros. X P5, but I do think this looks good for future DLC.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
That's true, but there is a department that specifically handles spirits. It's not like artwork is too demanding to add into the game, even if the DLC staff is smaller.
Plus, we have already seen cases of Spirits being added after the base game was made, notably for Let's Go Pikachu and Eevee.

amageish

Smash Master
Definitely. Inb4 the DLC are just characters from games he's complimented in Famitsu columns. Can't wait for a Stardew Valley character, given how he's commented on getting addicted to that game in the past!

We are not even sure if we'll get P5 Spirits.
Yeah, this. It does seem very likely given the Let's Go spirits and the current exclusive-to-a-spirit-event Mario ones, but it's not confirmed. If we do get them though, then I would expect a range parallel to that of Metal Gear - including spirits from throughout the franchise (and maybe Etrian Odyssey too).

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I am curious, if they were to represent Persona games outside of 5, what do you think they would represent specifically and how would they do it? Would any of the past games be represented in anything beyond spirits?

amageish

Smash Master
I am curious, if they were to represent Persona games outside of 5, what do you think they would represent specifically and how would they do it? Would any of the past games be represented in anything beyond spirits?
I mean, as most Persona games have vocal soundtracks, music licensing would be more complicated, but that would definitely be the easiest way to expand the series being represented. Mass Destruction, Time to Make History, and such are all super memorable songs.

Otherwise, Aigis (from P3) would probably be the most unique option for an AT, were they to add one post-release, given how she has a virtually endless supply of guns, rockets, and such in addition to the power of a persona. Though if they wanted to target older fans, then the obvious pick is Maya Amano, one of the P2 protagonists, as she semi-famously wields a pair of neon pink pistols in addition to her personae. I doubt they would give that much attention to a pre-P3 title, but let's think positive!

Lastly, there is the potential of a transforming stage of some sort covering past games, though it is not super likely...

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I mean, as most Persona games have vocal soundtracks, music licensing would be more complicated, but that would definitely be the easiest way to expand the series being represented. Mass Destruction, Time to Make History, and such are all super memorable songs.

Otherwise, Aigis (from P3) would probably be the most unique option for an AT, were they to add one post-release, given how she has a virtually endless supply of guns, rockets, and such in addition to the power of a persona. Though if they wanted to target older fans, then the obvious pick is Maya Amano, one of the P2 protagonists, as she semi-famously wields a pair of neon pink pistols in addition to her personae. I doubt they would give that much attention to a pre-P3 title, but let's think positive!

Lastly, there is the potential of a transforming stage of some sort covering past games, though it is not super likely...
Well, that depends, didn't the writer(s) for P1 and P2 died, and other people won't use their characters again out of respect?

Aigis AT is definitely doable though.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero

I definitely think Aigis is who they would AT if they are going to have be outside of P5. Though, I don't see them going anywhere near pre-P3 in anything other than spirits, as disappointing as that may be for some. A possible transforming stage that could rep multiple games could be the Velvet room and it's many incarnations, but I doubt they would go that far with it.

On another note, I was washing dishes not 20 minutes ago when I came to a horrifying realization relating to the prospect of a Persona 5 Mario Party like game. It's the fact that it would not be the first time Atlus has tried out that formula, and in a party game that included RPG mechanics as well. And it was a game so evil, that even the essence of Mario Party itself would be a little disturbed. What is this game you ask?

amageish

Smash Master
Well, that depends, didn't the writer(s) for P1 and P2 died, and other people won't use their characters again out of respect?

Aigis AT is definitely doable though.
I, uh, don't think so? As far as I know he just left ATLUS? You may be thinking of

how he, Tadashi Satomi, wrote himself into the Persona series and killed himself off in Persona 2 Innocent Sin?

I definitely think Aigis is who they would AT if they are going to have be outside of P5. Though, I don't see them going anywhere near pre-P3 in anything other than spirits, as disappointing as that may be for some. A possible transforming stage that could rep multiple games could be the Velvet room and it's many incarnations, but I doubt they would go that far with it.
Yeah, nor do I practically, I more making a joke about P2 ("Let's think positive!" is Maya's catchphrase). I was thinking that the Velvet Room, were it to be the main stage, could change game of origin depending on if its in regular/battlefield/omega form, but there are, AFAIK, eight versions of the room in total (P1, P2, P3, P4, P5, PQ, PQ2, and the Velvet Stage/Club Velvet)... Which is a lot of rooms to choose from.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I, uh, don't think so? As far as I know he just left ATLUS? You may be thinking of

how he, Tadashi Satomi, wrote himself into the Persona series and killed himself off in Persona 2 Innocent Sin?

Yeah, nor do I practically, I more making a joke about P2 ("Let's think positive!" is Maya's catchphrase). I was thinking that the Velvet Room, were it to be the main stage, could change game of origin depending on if its in regular/battlefield/omega form, but there are, AFAIK, eight versions of the room in total (P1, P2, P3, P4, P5, PQ, PQ2, and the Velvet Stage/Club Velvet)... Which is a lot of rooms to choose from.
Oh. Pretty sure someone around here must have said something like that, but for a different part of the MegaTen franchise, never mind that then.

That being said, NiGHTS on Twitter posted awesome prints of Smash characters earlier this month, here are a few samples:

DnPoMaHWsAABPBt.jpg

DnPoQFFXcAAGzg6.jpg

DnPpJoaXgAEHgjM.jpg

DnPpaOdX4AEzPaY.jpg

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
You know, I get the feeling that this new Persona 5 version is going to reference some of the jokes the fandom has made since the original game's release. I mean, we did have Marie say Fsteak, so it's not out of the real of possibility. Might also put a big lampshade over that Super Bash Bros comment they made in game as well, especially if this version is going to be Switch exclusive.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I just realized, have we really talked about potential Persona costume for Ultimate as of yet? It has been recently confirmed that there will be individual costume DLC for 0.75 cents each, so that is something worth considering when it comes to representation. Out of what I can think of...

Makoto Niijima
Chie Satonaka
Kanji Tatsumi
Akihiko Sanada

Ryuji Sakamoto
Morgana
Yusuke Kitagawa
Goro Akechi
Yu Narukami
The P3 MC/FeMC
Junpei Iori
Mitsuru Kirijo

Yukiko Amagi
Naoto Shirogane
P4's Culprit(If they feel spoilery)
Yukari Takeba
Aigis

Keep in mind, I am not the most familiar with certain characters here, specifically the P3 cast, so there might be better placements or ways for the characters to be implemented that I just don't realize.

amageish

Smash Master
I just realized, have we really talked about potential Persona costume for Ultimate as of yet? It has been recently confirmed that there will be individual costume DLC for 0.75 cents each, so that is something worth considering when it comes to representation. Out of what I can think of...

Makoto Niijima
Chie Satonaka
Kanji Tatsumi
Akihiko Sanada

Ryuji Sakamoto
Morgana
Yusuke Kitagawa
Goro Akechi
Yu Narukami
The P3 MC/FeMC
Junpei Iori
Mitsuru Kirijo

Yukiko Amagi
Naoto Shirogane
P4's Culprit(If they feel spoilery)
Yukari Takeba
Aigis

Keep in mind, I am not the most familiar with certain characters here, specifically the P3 cast, so there might be better placements or ways for the characters to be implemented that I just don't realize.
I literally just came here to ask about this haha.

Overall, I'd say you have a pretty good list - even without knowing the details of the P3 cast. FeMC doesn't actually use a sword, but there is no Mii Spearfighter, so rounding to the nearest sharp object is the best choice haha. Same with turning Yukari's bow into a gun.

If I were to be semi-practical, then I imagine they would do the following:

Morgana as a Mii Swordfighter (given how he's the mascot of Persona 5)
Aigis as a Mii Gunner (just too perfect of a match given the "guns for hands" thing ((Aigis as a Geno echo confirmed? /s)))
Chie as a Mii Brawler (good match and also one of the more marketed P4 characters worldwide)
Jack Frost as a Mii Gunner (given how he's the mascot of ATLUS)
Flynn/Demi-fiend/Raidou/Another SMT Protag as a Mii Swordfighter

I'm declaring this "practical" given how Mega Man got 4 costumes last time...

Last edited:

Clumsyzephyr

Smash Journeyman
Jack Frost and Morgana seem pretty likely for mii costume picks. Not really sure if they'd want to exclusively stick to P5 or include other SMT stuff.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I literally just came here to ask about this haha.

Overall, I'd say you have a pretty good list - even without knowing the details of the P3 cast. FeMC doesn't actually use a sword, but there is no Mii Spearfighter, so rounding to the nearest sharp object is the best choice haha. Same with turning Yukari's bow into a gun.

If I were to be semi-practical, then I imagine they would do the following:

Morgana as a Mii Swordfighter (given how he's the mascot of ATLUS)
Aigis as a Mii Gunner (just too perfect of a match given the "guns for hands" thing ((Aigis as a Geno echo confirmed? /s)))
Chie as a Mii Brawler (good match and also one of the more marketed P4 characters worldwide)
Jack Frost as a Mii Gunner (given how he's the mascot of ATLUS)
Flynn/Demi-fiend/Raidou/Another SMT Protag as a Mii Swordfighter

I'm declaring this "practical" given how Mega Man got 4 costumes last time...
Wait, how can both Morgana and Jack Frost be the mascot of Atlus? Anyways, I do agree with this list. I however think they will generally stick to Persona though. Sorry SMT.

amageish

Smash Master
Wait, how can both Morgana and Jack Frost be the mascot of Atlus? Anyways, I do agree with this list. I however think they will generally stick to Persona though. Sorry SMT.
Shoot, I meant Morgana as the Persona 5 mascot and Jack Frost as ATLUS (though Morgana seems to have become the mascot of P-Team in general since P5 succeeded)... Oops. I think they'd have one SMT pick given how Mii Costumes seemed to serve as participation trophies (Mega Man X and Mega Man.EXE come to mind) - plus almost all SMT protagonists are one-handed swordman.

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Shoot, I meant Morgana as the Persona 5 mascot and Jack Frost as ATLUS (though Morgana seems to have become the mascot of P-Team in general since P5 succeeded)... Oops. I think they'd have one SMT pick given how Mii Costumes seemed to serve as participation trophies (Mega Man X and Mega Man.EXE come to mind) - plus almost all SMT protagonists are one-handed swordman.
Fair on the SMT thing. I will say though, if they are going to include Morgana(Mascot of P5) and Aigis(Mascot of P3), then does that mean Teddy might be included as well? I don't see how they could make a full costume for him(At least in his most iconic form), so perhaps a hat?

StormC

Smash Hero
Just recruited Yusuke. I'm really digging this museum dungeon, the emphasis on stealth/traps and security rooms reminds me a lot of MGS. I also really enjoy the integration of the real world stuff into the dungeon progress; it made me glad I reached the halfway point in one day though, otherwise I'd hate to get to that cutoff point just after starting on the most recent checkpoint.

Sadly Yusuke annoyed me because he replaced Morgana for his introductory battle, my team healer. The miniboss nearly OHKO'd Joker so I just had to buff and heal him while everyone else did the hard work. Considering that I have Jack Frost which already has better ice magic than Yusuke currently has... guess I'm benching him for the time being.

amageish

Smash Master
Fair on the SMT thing. I will say though, if they are going to include Morgana(Mascot of P5) and Aigis(Mascot of P3), then does that mean Teddy might be included as well? I don't see how they could make a full costume for him(At least in his most iconic form), so perhaps a hat?
A Teddie hat would make sense, yeah! They seem to have been downplaying him lately, considering that he was straight-up absent in BBTAG, but it would make sense to give him some sort of recognition.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
A Teddie hat would make sense, yeah! They seem to have been downplaying him lately, considering that he was straight-up absent in BBTAG, but it would make sense to give him some sort of recognition.
They did get an in story reason for why he was not in BBTAG along with Rise, but I think it's safe to say out of the 3 Persona mascot characters, Teddy is usually the least liked from the looks of things.
A thought also came to mind, what if they had Velvet Room costumes for the Mii's? One type of wear that Persona characters always get is an attendants outfit, with Teddy and Morgana getting an Igor look. I think the Mii's could pull something similar. It does also make me hope for Joker to have a velvet room color as well.

amageish

Smash Master
They did get an in story reason for why he was not in BBTAG along with Rise, but I think it's safe to say out of the 3 Persona mascot characters, Teddy is usually the least liked from the looks of things.
A thought also came to mind, what if they had Velvet Room costumes for the Mii's? One type of wear that Persona characters always get is an attendants outfit, with Teddy and Morgana getting an Igor look. I think the Mii's could pull something similar. It does also make me hope for Joker to have a velvet room color as well.
True, though I think it's not irrational to say that BBTAG's story was based on the characters and not vice versa. That said, I guess he is still doing better then Fuuka "Not Playable in Any Arena Game Even Though Rise Gained Fighting Skills" Yamagishi?

Ooooh, that would be cool! Actually, if they wanted to shy away from character-driven outfits, they could just use the generic Deep Blue Clothes and the Gekkoukan, Yasogami, and Shujin school uniforms? I suppose they could also use St Heremlin, Seven Sisters, and Karukozaka uniforms if they so desired (which they probaby wouldn't).

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Ooooh, that would be cool! Actually, if they wanted to shy away from character-driven outfits, they could just use the generic Deep Blue Clothes and the Gekkoukan, Yasogami, and Shujin school uniforms? I suppose they could also use St Heremlin, Seven Sisters, and Karukozaka uniforms if they so desired (which they probaby wouldn't).
That would make sense to an extent, as typically the party's outfits are some variety of there school's uniform(Of course, with the exception of characters who don't actually go to the school). I do think they will make more individual costumes for the characters who exist outside of school uniform or are a specific Phantom Thief.

Edit: I will say, if the stage is the Velvet Room, what if they actually make a Smash version of the Velvet Room like they do with the spin off's? I doubt it, but what would that look like?

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
That would make sense to an extent, as typically the party's outfits are some variety of there school's uniform(Of course, with the exception of characters who don't actually go to the school). I do think they will make more individual costumes for the characters who exist outside of school uniform or are a specific Phantom Thief.
Yeah, the school uniforms would be an easy way to represent numerous characters at once (for a Yasogami uniform, you can just change the Mii head and you have most of the P4 cast, given how they generally wear their uniforms without alteration). That said, individual costumes would also make sense.

I will say, if the stage is the Velvet Room, what if they actually make a Smash version of the Velvet Room like they do with the spin off's? I doubt it, but what would that look like?
That's an interesting question... I feel like I'd be based partly on Club Velvet, given how it is the flattest room, but with no disco ball. Maybe add in some references to a variety of Velvet Rooms (ex/ the Warden's table and chains from P5, the bar area from P4, an elevator exit a la P3, the checkered curtains from P1/2, etc)?

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
That's an interesting question... I feel like I'd be based partly on Club Velvet, given how it is the flattest room, but with no disco ball. Maybe add in some references to a variety of Velvet Rooms (ex/ the Warden's table and chains from P5, the bar area from P4, an elevator exit a la P3, the checkered curtains from P1/2, etc)?
The Velvet Room's have always been places that represent the theme's of the game, as well as the location being a place where you might find an attendant in the real world(Or a warden in P5's case). I think a Smash Velvet Room would follow a similar logic. The question is, what is a real life environment that has both attendants and a focus on combat?

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
The Velvet Room's have always been places that represent the theme's of the game, as well as the location being a place where you might find an attendant in the real world(Or a warden in P5's case). I think a Smash Velvet Room would follow a similar logic. The question is, what is a real life environment that has both attendants and a focus on combat?
That's a very symbolic point... Uh... My first thought is a boxing ring, given how you have people to attend on you between matches, but that stage is already in Smash Brothers... Also, would they invent a new attendant for this hypothetical stage?

Also, squeezing in one last P5R prediction before it is probably revealed tomorrow: They could also restore Hifumi to her position as a story character, I suppose? I don't know if they'd do that given how she (assumedly) was cut for a reason, but if the reason was "the game is long enough already" then they'd already be lengthening it for P5R...

If they did that, then my prediction is:

she'd be based on the Phantom of the Opera. While he's not a trickster character per say, the fact that Hifumi's story is all about the pursuit of art over fame makes him resonate thematically. Plus, the game is full of masks, "phantom" theives and references to European literature anyway, so it's not like he wouldn't fit in.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Off-topic, but something I just noticed about the Joker subforum that's funny to me.

With all the other third parties, the description for their subforum is like:

"Discuss all information concerning Simon/Richter, confirmed for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate on Nintendo Switch!"
"Discuss all information concerning Cloud, confirmed for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate on Nintendo Switch!"
So on and so forth. But Joker gets this:
"Discuss all information concerning Joker from Persona 5, confirmed for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate on Nintendo Switch!"

Joker's so special, the mods want to remind people what game he's from.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
That's a very symbolic point... Uh... My first thought is a boxing ring, given how you have people to attend on you between matches, but that stage is already in Smash Brothers... Also, would they invent a new attendant for this hypothetical stage?

Also, squeezing in one last P5R prediction before it is probably revealed tomorrow: They could also restore Hifumi to her position as a story character, I suppose? I don't know if they'd do that given how she (assumedly) was cut for a reason, but if the reason was "the game is long enough already" then they'd already be lengthening it for P5R...

If they did that, then my prediction is:

she'd be based on the Phantom of the Opera. While he's not a trickster character per say, the fact that Hifumi's story is all about the pursuit of art over fame makes him resonate thematically. Plus, the game is full of masks, "phantom" theives and references to European literature anyway, so it's not like he wouldn't fit in.
Okay if this happened with the remake it'd be the only thing to push it over the top for me. I am such a Phantom fan it's unfunny. I've read the book, seen the musical, seen so many of the movies...Yes please.

However! I'd also argue he is in no way a hero or heroic character, so I'm not sure he counts or fits the theme...

Still, "Erik" or "Fantome" as a Persona would make me weep.

Last edited:
Top Bottom