• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Hey! Watch out!" Link Video & Critique Thread

BryE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ChaserTech
Here are some matches that I played against 313, a Snake main in NC Greensboro.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zj88bWuxoMI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sspFpLonylo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZqg03yVIBE

I've played against him before, but not enough for me to get used to his playstyle as Snake.

I'll also like to point out that I feel as if I need to slow down during my matches instead of trying to bombard my opponent with projectiles and Zairs and try to play safer.
Tell me what you guys think. :]

BryE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ChaserTech
I only watched a few of your videos that you listed and I must say that you have a pretty strong Link there. Your spacing with him is excellent and you abuse Zair effectively. Not only that, but you seem to have mastered Bombsliding with him, especially throwing in the opposite direction. If anything, your Link plays WAY better than mine. :D

I don't really have much to say about your matches though. You seemed to play out your matches in an aggressive yet smart manner. The only thing that I thought you could have done more was follow up your Gale Returns. Everytime the boomerang would bring Bowser towards you, you never really took advantage of it. I also saw a good amount of jab lock setups in the first match as well. However that arrow lock you did in the first video at 1:50 was pretty good. Keep it up man.

Also, you mind checking out my Link matches? I main Link myself and I'm trying to get better with him.

Dyclone

Smash Ace
Brye,
1.)I see you try to hard to approach when you could be sitting back spamming until you could force 313 to approach. When you did approach, you got punished in some way a majority of the time.
Don't dodge to the ground so much, he ended up predicting you'd do that. Try saving you're DJ to delay the landing or try to iBomb if you still want to dodge but cover yourself at the same time. Just try to mix up your landing. Try moving a little more. You don't have to, just a suggestion.
2.) I'm noticing the lack of bombs and camping, you only seem to camp when he camps you try to fix it so you can get him trying to approach you which is what you want. Nothing much I could find to say.
3.)Too much grabbing while you weren't even in.
1:22 ugh that running - dash attack approach... don't do it... ever.
Stay away from the edge, especially when you are the one being pressured, just try to find your way to the center or try to turn it around. What's with the random spot dodges? Don't get scared too easily and try a little retreating instead
Sorry if this comes off as rude... this whole post is just full of nothing but suggestions :)

BryE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ChaserTech
Brye,
1.)I see you try to hard to approach when you could be sitting back spamming until you could force 313 to approach. When you did approach, you got punished in some way a majority of the time.
Don't dodge to the ground so much, he ended up predicting you'd do that. Try saving you're DJ to delay the landing or try to iBomb if you still want to dodge but cover yourself at the same time. Just try to mix up your landing. Try moving a little more. You don't have to, just a suggestion.
2.) I'm noticing the lack of bombs and camping, you only seem to camp when he camps you try to fix it so you can get him trying to approach you which is what you want. Nothing much I could find to say.
3.)Too much grabbing while you weren't even in.
1:22 ugh that running - dash attack approach... don't do it... ever.
Stay away from the edge, especially when you are the one being pressured, just try to find your way to the center or try to turn it around. What's with the random spot dodges? Don't get scared too easily and try a little retreating instead
Sorry if this comes off as rude... this whole post is just full of nothing but suggestions :)
I believe you may think that your post sounds rude only because it points out a lot of negative parts in my gameplay, rather than positive parts. I understand that you're only trying to give out suggestions though. And they are helpful. Thank you. :]

Rizen

Smash Legend
YI's a difficult stage for Link. You have a good close combat game but Snake simply out-classes Link. You should try to force an approach rather than approaching him. Link can SH out-spam snake, especially since his returning boomerang wind clears away grenades but I realize the stage makes that harder.
0:28, if he's this close Nair's best because it's continuous attack starts frame 6 (Zair's 10) and stops mistimed shield grabs.
Good bomb traps, platform pokes and SH combat next 10 seconds.
0:36 You were getting too aggressive with that Ftilt and should have punished his landing.
You'd have good spacing if you were a little farther and didn't Zair up close.
0:49 (don't forget you can hold the bomb and Fsmash landing lag or throw it forward before he touches the ground.) Here you bair-ed way to close, he should have punished that, then Fsmashed. Both attacks were too close and Fsmash is to slow, notice how he grabbed you. Jab would have been better but you were in a bad position.
0:53 You air dodged right into him. In situations like this it can be best to go for a ledge grab/tether rather than to land.
1:07 There are 2 times when Nair has better priority than Dair (because Dair bounces 'hurtboxes'), 1when Snake's Usmashing you and 2 when Olimar's Usmashing. FF Nair will fall strait through Snakes missile and hit him.
1:10 Dair motion cancels upwards momentum better than Bair. Dair if you're launched up at sharp angles.
Good work getting bombs into play.
1:27 grab?
1:35 Snake wins in close combat. He easily jabbed you there. His Ftilt is about as long as our Zair. Beware his close ground game.
1:56-1:59 This is what Snake should have been doing, he shields your boomerang, then Zair and punishes with an Ftilt. Shields murder Link, especially since grabbing's so broken in brawl. Link needs to be very careful to space with the tip of his long reach. You can also buffer shielding or jabs as you land or quickdraw arrows when the opponent's farther.
2:14 There's a small time frame of vulnerability when a character lands that arrows can punish. If you miss it, wait for them to let their shield shrink or punish the dodge or OoS lag.
2:29 risky Dair. If you miss a Dair like this you can guide it back past the edge and grab the ledge instead of taking the landing lag.
2:40 you landed right next to him. This is terrible for Link unless you maybe have dropped a bomb because even attacks are easy to shield grab, like he did.
2:55 now he's taking advantage of Snake's superior close combat.
For some time he keeps baiting your aggressive style and punishing for major damage. Snake and most characters can beat a berserker Link. Link can be aggressive but he needs to create openings with projectiles, locks and safe spacing.
You like to dash grab or grab after an attack hits. I don't see you punishing with grabs though. Link's grab is slow, starts frame 11 IIRC, and dash grabs are even slower. But since it's a tether grab you can shield an attack, even if it pushes Link back and shield grab the lag. This is the best way to land grabs because if Link misses he has to wait 85 frames (standing grab, 95 dash and pivot) before he can move!
I guess your finger slipped at the end :/ .

tl;dr space farther, spam more, punish more. More agressive spamming, less aggressive close combat.

BryE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ChaserTech
. . . space farther, spam more, punish more. More agressive spamming, less aggressive close combat.
I had a feeling that I needed to integrate more projectiles in my game play rather than just stick to CQC.
But the thing about using projectiles effectively, how do I mix them up properly? I would always find myself in a routine which makes my projectiles become perfect shielded, especially my boomerang.

Also yeah, at the end my finger slipped when I was trying to use Up B. :(
And the random grab that happened was supposed to be a pivot grab. The dash animation just didn't register so I just sat there grabbing at nothing. xD

DARKDRAGONHIEI

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4828-5788-9766
just by seeing the first combo vid already helped me improve (thanks by the way scabe)
I use to watch (still do) your matches to improve on my link, they've benn very helpful

Rizen

Smash Legend
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirePit
Here's the Link to it.. my first vid
[URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMBdhe1d6hw&list=UU1L3rEf9Vf-oRZNT8N6yIKA&index=1&feature=plcp"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMBdh...1&feature=plcp

(^why did my line turn red?)
Good points:
Good Dair at 1:17, throwing a bomb up and then your boomerang continues the offstage pressure with a good flow.
1:30 you spam projectiles pretty well here with a few exceptions of assuming Marth will jump above you when he's at tipper Fsmash range.
1:44 great Bair spacing with a boomerang hit following it. This is how Links should be fighting.
3:10 nice combo. You could have finished with a jab cancel but still a good fast attack chain.
3:26 IDK why Falco sat there in his shield. Uthrows to falling bombs are situational but useful for dealing extra damage.
3:53 great job intercepting falco with a boomerang>Dair.
4:10 same as 3:53 comment

You have cool effects, music and the Snake conversation was a fun touch.

Bad points:
You're constantly spacing way too close, work on hitting with the tip of Link's attacks. You also like slow actions when the opponent was close enough to grab you (and should have), jabs are fast (for Link:urg:) starting on frame 6 and punish spotdodges, SH (short hop) Nair or backwards SH Zair can be safe and on wifi it often pays off to spotdodge- Link's is one of the best in the game.

DAC is easily punished even on wifi, don't approach a grounded opponent with it or they might jab/Fsmash/Dsmash/Shield grab you. USmash in general is very punishable; you're using it at times when the opponent isn't even above you, always make sure the opponent is forced to take at least 1 of Usmash's 3 hits.

Dair to momentum cancel upwards launches, it woks slightly better. Bair otherwise.

Marth's move-set is almost twice as fast as Link's. He should beat you in a strait sword fight so use Zair and those projectiles for frame traps and spacing.

VS Sheik you threw out several aerial attacks that were too far to connect and could have been shield dash>grabbed. This is when Zair and projectiles should be used. Try to use jab cancels instead of some jab combos. 2:40 That's the retreating Zair I was talking about. (Nice spin attack to stop her landing)

Spin attacking on to the stage from a ledge like at 4:08 is extremely dangerous. If you're shielded the opponent can Dsmash/Fsmash you off stage and you won't have a second jump, they can also edgehog your fall. Instead try a few Zair-tether ledge stalls and a ledgehop attack (tap away from the ledge>immediately press towards the stage and jump>keep holding towards the stage and preform an action, like Fair).

You have a good start and just need some refinements and a few more tactics in your game. Keep practicing and try to find the best players for each character because they can best teach you the MUs;).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMBdhe1d6hw&list=UU1L3rEf9Vf-oRZNT8N6yIKA&index=1&feature=plcp

FirePit

Smash Rookie
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirePit
Here's the Link to it.. my first vid
[URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMBdhe1d6hw&list=UU1L3rEf9Vf-oRZNT8N6yIKA&index=1&feature=plcp"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMBdh...1&feature=plcp

(^why did my line turn red?)
Good points:
Good Dair at 1:17, throwing a bomb up and then your boomerang continues the offstage pressure with a good flow.
1:30 you spam projectiles pretty well here with a few exceptions of assuming Marth will jump above you when he's at tipper Fsmash range.
1:44 great Bair spacing with a boomerang hit following it. This is how Links should be fighting.
3:10 nice combo. You could have finished with a jab cancel but still a good fast attack chain.
3:26 IDK why Falco sat there in his shield. Uthrows to falling bombs are situational but useful for dealing extra damage.
3:53 great job intercepting falco with a boomerang>Dair.
4:10 same as 3:53 comment

You have cool effects, music and the Snake conversation was a fun touch.

Bad points:
You're constantly spacing way too close, work on hitting with the tip of Link's attacks. You also like slow actions when the opponent was close enough to grab you (and should have), jabs are fast (for Link:urg:) starting on frame 6 and punish spotdodges, SH (short hop) Nair or backwards SH Zair can be safe and on wifi it often pays off to spotdodge- Link's is one of the best in the game.

DAC is easily punished even on wifi, don't approach a grounded opponent with it or they might jab/Fsmash/Dsmash/Shield grab you. USmash in general is very punishable; you're using it at times when the opponent isn't even above you, always make sure the opponent is forced to take at least 1 of Usmash's 3 hits.

Dair to momentum cancel upwards launches, it woks slightly better. Bair otherwise.

Marth's move-set is almost twice as fast as Link's. He should beat you in a strait sword fight so use Zair and those projectiles for frame traps and spacing.

VS Sheik you threw out several aerial attacks that were too far to connect and could have been shield dash>grabbed. This is when Zair and projectiles should be used. Try to use jab cancels instead of some jab combos. 2:40 That's the retreating Zair I was talking about. (Nice spin attack to stop her landing)

Spin attacking on to the stage from a ledge like at 4:08 is extremely dangerous. If you're shielded the opponent can Dsmash/Fsmash you off stage and you won't have a second jump, they can also edgehog your fall. Instead try a few Zair-tether ledge stalls and a ledgehop attack (tap away from the ledge>immediately press towards the stage and jump>keep holding towards the stage and preform an action, like Fair).

You have a good start and just need some refinements and a few more tactics in your game. Keep practicing and try to find the best players for each character because they can best teach you the MUs;).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMBdhe1d6hw&list=UU1L3rEf9Vf-oRZNT8N6yIKA&index=1&feature=plcp
Thanks!! the breakdown helps a lot, i'll be working on those, practicing them in the matches. i saw them and said "why did i do that option???" lol. thanks, for the help!! I'll post regular matches up soon, that can be critiqued better

Dyclone

Smash Ace
Thanks to SupaSairentoZ7, I got some videos uploaded of me against [YRSF] Tin Man's Snake and MK. I'd perfer to have the match with Olimar, but I just don't have the best memory when it comes to saving replays.

Vs MetaKnight http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjq2tTyiK6M
Vs Snake http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPdGDz4zN34

There are some ideas in the videos, but I'm not ready to pitch them...yet, anyway
Yeah, I'd just like a little critique on my plays and such.

WiFi Friendlies

Rizen

Smash Legend
Thanks to SupaSairentoZ7, I got some videos uploaded of me against [YRSF] Tin Man's Snake and MK. I'd perfer to have the match with Olimar, but I just don't have the best memory when it comes to saving replays.

Vs MetaKnight http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjq2tTyiK6M
Vs Snake http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPdGDz4zN34

There are some ideas in the videos, but I'm not ready to pitch them...yet, anyway
Yeah, I'd just like a little critique on my plays and such.

WiFi Friendlies
MK:
He played a passive MK. Overall you spaced him really well and the Dair KO at the end was awesome.
You did make a few mistakes repeatedly.
1 You threw bombs when he wasn't near their flight path. Keep bombs for when MK uses his tornado.
2 Although this work because he shielded, you threw Link's boomerang and arrows from too close and while grounded. MK should have 'nadoed strait through them, which he did a few times. Nados are stupid broken for punishing and MKs can chain several vs Link before he escapes.
3 Momentum cancel strong vertical launches with Dair.
4 You often landed right next to MK.

Specific:
0:09 If you're jabs blocked but the opponent's by the edge, keep jabbing and finish with a Dsmash to push them off. You could jab cancel>grab but that's risky if he spotdodged. Stopping after 1 jab gives fast characters a huge frame advantage to punish.
0:15 That Zair was too close; any move landing at that range can be shield grabbed.
0:20 Nice airdodge>Utilt. Jumping from the ledge and pulling a bomb or Dairing might also have worked.
Seeing as MK's punishing as you return to the stage but not when you're on the ledge you could get away with a ledgestall bomb pull. Sometimes you can bait an action by ledgestall Zair tethering the edge quickly and see what the opponent does.
0:51 nice Zair covered landing, for some reason people don't expect those. Keep in mind you can FF airdodge>tether the ledge if you're afraid of being shield grabbed (or PS>Dsmashed).
0:50ish-1:30ish good use of shielding and airdodges, better safe than sorry.
1:24 I think you ledge jumped and immediately double jumped as you pulled a bomb. A quick shuttle loop would have hit you offstage with no jumps left.
1:27 MK's Dair would have killed you. Good quick thinking with that UpB but you shouldn't have wasted your double jump right after momentum canceling; that could have boosted you into the blast zone. You need to save those for evasive maneuvers when recovering, double jumping also will keep you from FF Dairing and Dair eats MK's shuttle loops.
1:32 This is what MK should be doing to punish boomerang throws. MK's nado is ultra broken.
1:45 hold bomb for when you really need them. You Zaired to close and high and MK UpBed your landing.
Keep in mind Link can and should (at the right times) Fsmash, Zair, and use all his specials while holding a bomb. Bomb throws are very fast and can stop approaching opponents after you've done something like Bomb-Fsmash.
Dair works slightly better for vertical momentum canceling.
...until 2:09 good work getting bombs into play. If you're about to be blown up by the bomb you are holding airdodge.
2:15 MK's bombed out of his nado!
2:17 You threw it again. Use bomb Fsmashes.
soon another too-close Zair. If you are going to land an aerial close Nair has good priority and long lasting, big hitbubbles. Or you could Dair when feeling bold.
2:34 Uthrow's a good KO move after 160%.
2:39 I miss these myself but you had MK in a great position to jab cancel. If lag's bad you can jab>jab>UpB as fast as you can and not have to worry about jab3 activating.
... You're good at evading/escaping nado but you keep throwing bombs when you shouldn't. If you're above, Nair and Dair will hit MK if you come down onto the middle of the nado, Dair bounces if you miss the middle. Other things that stop nados are: anything hitting at the very start, Dash attacks and Fsmash 2 hit above and in front of Link at an angle the can hit the weak bottom part of the nado successfully. And bombs will always stop it as long as they hit MK and not just the tornado effect.
3:37 In this situation I try to double jump a slow fall Dair from above. MK's UpB will beat or trade with (which still kills you) anything But Dair, bombs, and airdodges.
3:43 MK's Dsmash is insanely fast and he can repeatedly Dsmash with a really good chance of hitting you before you grab/hit him. Roll away is my advice, although you did hit him.
3:52 you could have jab-locked MK here. It's hard to time them right on wifi before it's too late; I often miss the opportunity too.
4:20 Ftilt was a slow and too close attack here, jabs or shield grab would be safer but you pulled it off.
4:25 after an arrow lock you can give more damage by Fsmashing or sometimes SH Dair for star KOs.
4:38 he's juggling you, momentum cancel with Dair and cover your landing with a slow fall Dair that you can make FF when needed by tapping down. That would have prevented the UpB KO and maybe KOed him instead.
... Good ending, a few random moves but well played. Good spacing games by retreating a little>Fsmash.
Utilt's almost as fast as jabs (starts frame 7 IIRC), ends relatively fast, covers a big arch around Link and can KO. It's good vs aggressive hopping opponents. I saw you use that.

Good stuff, you have a good Link.
I might critique the other video later, maybe. But I'm done for now. 'Hope that helps;).

Dyclone

Smash Ace
[COLLAPSE="Response"]
MK:
He played a passive MK. Overall you spaced him really well and the Dair KO at the end was awesome.
Didn't seem passive when he 2stocked me in the ditto
You did make a few mistakes repeatedly.
1 You threw bombs when he wasn't near their flight path. Keep bombs for when MK uses his tornado.
To make him rethink going down straight at me and using Glide Attack. Better safe than sorry, am i rite?
2 Although this work because he shielded, you threw Link's boomerang and arrows from too close and while grounded. MK should have 'nadoed strait through them, which he did a few times. Nados are stupid broken for punishing and MKs can chain several vs Link before he escapes.
I don't know what was going through my head to repeatedly do this.
3 Momentum cancel strong vertical launches with Dair.
4 You often landed right next to MK.
Bad approaching attempts, must work on that

Specific:
0:09 If you're jabs blocked but the opponent's by the edge, keep jabbing and finish with a Dsmash to push them off. You could jab cancel>grab but that's risky if he spotdodged. Stopping after 1 jab gives fast characters a huge frame advantage to punish.
I was hoping for it to hit so I could retreat.
0:15 That Zair was too close; any move landing at that range can be shield grabbed.
I have to work on that, it was a bad attempt at approaching
0:20 Nice airdodge>Utilt. Jumping from the ledge and pulling a bomb or Dairing might also have worked.
I don't like either of those options for some reason.
Seeing as MK's punishing as you return to the stage but not when you're on the ledge you could get away with a ledgestall bomb pull. Sometimes you can bait an action by ledgestall Zair tethering the edge quickly and see what the opponent does.
Most players I've played realize how bad I am getting back on stage
0:51 nice Zair covered landing, for some reason people don't expect those. Keep in mind you can FF airdodge>tether the ledge if you're afraid of being shield grabbed (or PS>Dsmashed).
Bad at getting back on stage~
0:50ish-1:30ish good use of shielding and airdodges, better safe than sorry.
1:24 I think you ledge jumped and immediately double jumped as you pulled a bomb. A quick shuttle loop would have hit you offstage with no jumps left.
Nope, just ledge jumped
1:27 MK's Dair would have killed you. Good quick thinking with that UpB but you shouldn't have wasted your double jump right after momentum canceling; that could have boosted you into the blast zone. You need to save those for evasive maneuvers when recovering, double jumping also will keep you from FF Dairing and Dair eats MK's shuttle loops.
I probably would have gotten KOed horizontally if I didn't DJ
1:32 This is what MK should be doing to punish boomerang throws. MK's nado is ultra broken.
I should've shielded them, those 'nados were used pretty far and were obvious.
1:45 hold bomb for when you really need them. You Zaired to close and high and MK UpBed your landing.
Don't know what happened. Another failed attempt at approaching
Keep in mind Link can and should (at the right times) Fsmash, Zair, and use all his specials while holding a bomb. Bomb throws are very fast and can stop approaching opponents after you've done something like Bomb-Fsmash.
I use few ATs and these aren't ones I'm interested in or use.
Dair works slightly better for vertical momentum canceling.
I see you post that a lot. I just don't like how long the animation is.
...until 2:09 good work getting bombs into play. If you're about to be blown up by the bomb you are holding airdodge.
I didn't want to land so helplessly with such a below average airdodge
2:15 MK's bombed out of his nado!
I tried to do that but I kept messing it up (failed to iBomb in 'nado/already in animation)
2:17 You threw it again. Use bomb Fsmashes.
I still only use the defensive ATs
soon another too-close Zair. If you are going to land an aerial close Nair has good priority and long lasting, big hitbubbles. Or you could Dair when feeling bold.
I used to do that, but I stopped since I always got punished
2:34 Uthrow's a good KO move after 160%.
I had to guess and hope it'd kill
2:39 I miss these myself but you had MK in a great position to jab cancel. If lag's bad you can jab>jab>UpB as fast as you can and not have to worry about jab3 activating.
I did that and I think *a* Meta Knight Nair'd me out of it.
... You're good at evading/escaping nado but you keep throwing bombs when you shouldn't. If you're above, Nair and Dair will hit MK if you come down onto the middle of the nado, Dair bounces if you miss the middle. Other things that stop nados are: anything hitting at the very start, Dash attacks and Fsmash 2 hit above and in front of Link at an angle the can hit the weak bottom part of the nado successfully. And bombs will always stop it as long as they hit MK and not just the tornado effect.
3:37 In this situation I try to double jump a slow fall Dair from above. MK's UpB will beat or trade with (which still kills you) anything But Dair, bombs, and airdodges.
I kept messing up my attempts
3:43 MK's Dsmash is insanely fast and he can repeatedly Dsmash with a really good chance of hitting you before you grab/hit him. Roll away is my advice, although you did hit him.
I rarely roll when that close. Link has the worst roll in the game if I read correctly. It's slow and punishable, you should know that
3:52 you could have jab-locked MK here. It's hard to time them right on wifi before it's too late; I often miss the opportunity too.
I know, that was intentional, though it didn't kill like I'd hope it would. I did that in the Snake match though
4:20 Ftilt was a slow and too close attack here, jabs or shield grab would be safer but you pulled it off.
Got lucky
4:25 after an arrow lock you can give more damage by Fsmashing or sometimes SH Dair for star KOs.
I wanted to get my moves fresh and it left him in a bad position
4:38 he's juggling you, momentum cancel with Dair and cover your landing with a slow fall Dair that you can make FF when needed by tapping down. That would have prevented the UpB KO and maybe KOed him instead.
I made a bad move and used Bair instead of using a FastFall airdodge

... Good ending, a few random moves but well played. Good spacing games by retreating a little>Fsmash.
I guess me chasing him offstage was a foreign thought and was the only time I did that.
Utilt's almost as fast as jabs (starts frame 7 IIRC), ends relatively fast, covers a big arch around Link and can KO. It's good vs aggressive hopping opponents. I saw you use that.
I realized this and am trying to put it into better use.

Good stuff, you have a good Link.
I might critique the other video later, maybe. But I'm done for now. 'Hope that helps;).
[/COLLAPSE]
Thanks man, it really helps. You saw so many things that I couldn't see no matter how many time I watched.

Rizen

Smash Legend
1 thing:

"I rarely roll when that close. Link has the worst roll in the game if I read correctly. It's slow and punishable, you should know that"
I do know that,
Backward Roll
Frame 3: Intangible
Frame 19: Vulnerable
Frame 37: IASA
I also know it's the safest option if you're right next to a Dsmashing MK. Rolls aren't completely useless.
Quoted from the MK forum's guide:
"Summary: The ever spammable Dsmash. It’s infamous for being one of those “cheap” moves in MK’s move set but for good reason. It has very good KO potential, but its selling point is its speed. With the front hit hitting on frame 5, it’s very easy to sneak in quick kills at high percents. This move sends the foe horizontal and kills at a fair percent, usually around 115-120% and as low as 95% on the edge of stages coupled with bad DI, against other MKs.

A major note about Dsmash is where its power lies, and where that is is at the tips of the sword, and the strongest hit of all is on the hit behind MK, at the tip. Hits from the front rarely kill, but if you catch your opponent off guard it can kill due to poor DI.

If you find yourself in a tight spot, don’t be afraid to slam that C-stick down to get your opponent off of you. Its speed and damage makes it a great move for getting your opponent off your back. This move also has the cooldown frames to make it spammable, if you don’t hit with it, follow up with another Dsmash right after it. Chances are you can catch your opponent off guard, and by doing so, killing them at low percents. Be smart with this tool, you don’t want to become too predictable with it.
:)"
Rolling moves Link away with the least vulnerability (3 frames when he can be hit at the start and 3 frames of cooldown that don't overlap MK's Dsmash cooldown), leaves him ready to shield a tornado and avoid being grabbed.

Dyclone

Smash Ace
"I rarely roll when that close. Link has the worst roll in the game if I read correctly. It's slow and punishable, you should know that"
I do know that,
Backward Roll
Frame 3: Intangible
Frame 19: Vulnerable
Frame 37: IASA
I also know it's the safest option if you're right next to a Dsmashing MK. Rolls aren't completely useless.
Quoted from the MK forum's guide:
"Summary: The ever spammable Dsmash. It’s infamous for being one of those “cheap” moves in MK’s move set but for good reason. It has very good KO potential, but its selling point is its speed. With the front hit hitting on frame 5, it’s very easy to sneak in quick kills at high percents. This move sends the foe horizontal and kills at a fair percent, usually around 115-120% and as low as 95% on the edge of stages coupled with bad DI, against other MKs.

A major note about Dsmash is where its power lies, and where that is is at the tips of the sword, and the strongest hit of all is on the hit behind MK, at the tip. Hits from the front rarely kill, but if you catch your opponent off guard it can kill due to poor DI.

If you find yourself in a tight spot, don’t be afraid to slam that C-stick down to get your opponent off of you. Its speed and damage makes it a great move for getting your opponent off your back. This move also has the cooldown frames to make it spammable, if you don’t hit with it, follow up with another Dsmash right after it. Chances are you can catch your opponent off guard, and by doing so, killing them at low percents. Be smart with this tool, you don’t want to become too predictable with it.
:)"
Rolling moves Link away with the least vulnerability (3 frames when he can be hit at the start and 3 frames of cooldown that don't overlap MK's Dsmash cooldown), leaves him ready to shield a tornado and avoid being grabbed.
Meh, I'd perfer not to. I keep getting into a rolling habit because of things like that. I'll think of something else.

Doesn't that depend on when I roll in relation to his Dsmash? I don't think you can be sure of frame data in situations like that.

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
Ok so, I'd like to get some vids critiqued if possible, and I read th eOp so if I got it right, I just post them here and later when my number is up, Huggles will put the Link int h eOP post right?

Ok so, here they go, they're all vs Roxer, my usual sparring buddy, all offline except for one which was at a tourney.

Also, the quality is not that good, sorry about that but I lack recording equipment. And, if you're epileptic, you mihgt want to skip the ZSS and Snake one.

1) Link vs Luigi offline Friendly. The sound is messed up so mute it if you like being able to hear.

2) Link vs ZSS friendly offline..

3) Link vs Snake firendly offline.

4) Link vs Luigi Local Tourney Loser's Semi finals. This is only the first match of the set, I still have to upload the other one.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Whoa, those are strobie:crazy:.

I'm tired and the quality makes those hard to watch. Here are some things I noticed:

You space too close, Link has good disjointed sword attacks but is slow so he needs to stay at the tip of his attack reach to not loose to faster characters like Luigi.

Your jabs are slow, which some characters can interrupt. Mix in jab cancels too, jab>jab>Dsmash/grab etc.

You use one projectile at a time, Link can't spam fast so he needs to combine using all 3 projectiles for the best results.

Good Zair spacing vs Snake and your OoS (Out of Shield) Nairs are a good habit. Mix other things in too of course.

Once you start an attack chain Link has (figurative) momentum; keep your opponent off balance. Don't drop the chain and reset the situation when it's in your favor.

Link out-spams Snake and Luigi but looses to them up close. Make them come to you. Play to Link's stronger projectile spacing and delay close combat when you can for better damage and setups.

Lean locks. I noticed you hit Snake up close with your boomerang and let him get away. If you fire an arrow right after throwing the boomerang it will often space so the opponent is locked and will be forced to stand up giving Link a free hit. This is an arrow lock. Jab locks are better but harder.

tl;dr
practice tip-of-attack spacing, using different projectiles together, and play to Link's strong points not the opponent's.

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
Yeah. I have no idea why my camera started flashing like that...sorry again.

And I usually arrow lock once, but I didn't get to land one in these matches. Either way, I need to be faster in everyway, not just spamming, I realize that.

Thx Rizen...also, is there any way I can change my screen name here? T.T

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
Yeah I found that out last night...looks like I'll be a premium member for 3 months xD

Edit: And yeah, most of the things you said are things I know already, but it's still nice to be reminded of the basics once in a while.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Hi, the Snake MU's funny in what areas each character is stronger. Link: "Ha, your hi-teck weapons are no match for my medieval boomerang and arrows!" . Snake: "Well your legendary sword is no match for my legs and elbows!"

Link can slightly out-spam Snake; his arrows stop grenades and the wind from his returning boomerang will blow them off stage. I noticed you use a lot of bombs; this is normally a good thing but not in a camping battle with snake. Snake's nades can be stopped close enough to him that they'll explode and hurt him. Link's arrows/B-rang stop nades without detonating them and can't hurt Link in this MU. Link's bombs take longer to pull out and can explode on a nade dealing nade and bomb damage to Link. SH camp until Snake approaches with a DAC, which Link can FF Nair through the missile or jab/grab, or Snake can walking approach then Ftilt so Zair or shield grab.

Link is slow:urg:. His fastest ground attack is jabbing which starts on frame 6; he also has no good GTFO moves or good OoS options. Link might have been a competitive viable character with less lag. Snake murders Link anywhere within Snake's Ftilt range. Zair barely competes with Ftilt. Don't enter that area unless you're chaining attacks together. You can shield grab him after he ends a jab combo or Ftilt2 with Link's tether grab but Snake's mix-ups can mess up your timing (grab's frames 11-19 IIRC). You Spin Attacked several times, if spin attack is shielded once the rest of it will not hit the opponent even if they touch the blade:urg:. That Snake should have shielded>Fsmash instead of spotdodging. Spin Attacks are used to punish dodges and lag (like landing lag). They last about 100 frames and are very punishable if shielded.

Pressure Snake in the air, of course but remember his legs are about as long or longer for Bair/Uair than Link's sword coming from the opposing direction. He will probably land with a quick Bair, stand back and quickly punish or be ready to shield grab. A lot of them like to drop a C4 so watch out for that if you up-throw bombs or Uair him.
Charged arrows deal enough damage to hit him out of his UpB, you can fire one charged arrow after another for lots of damage and hopefully a KO. If he upB's near the ledge, Link can grab him with the grab bubble on Link's hand (not the claw), then don't pummel/throw and do the grab release trick to make Snake C4 himself.

You have a good aggressive flow but you kept playing in Snake stronger areas. Link needs to space very carefully and hit and run/chain attacks while avoiding Snake's Ftilt range. SV is a very hard stage for Link to fight Snake. I prefer PS1.

Snake out-classes Link: he lives longer, has a longer recovery, is faster, and KO's more easily. 4/6 Sake's favor or -2 for Link (worse on some stages).

A few more things, some snakes will jump offstage and Bair Link's recovery. Link's Uthrow kills Snake around 180-200%. Dair has a 'magic' height from the ground where it will end with no landing lag if slow-falled; Link can't jump high enough to do this on his one. Dair's landing lag is easy to punish so don't Dair lower than that height unless you have something good planned. I noticed you Dair-ed>Dair near the ground, Nair/Bair/Fair/Zair all landing cancel and would be better. Or you could have quickdraw-ed an arrow.

'Hope that helps;)

Rizen

Smash Legend
Game 1
(2stocks?) Snake's a [censored] son of a [censored] [censored] [censored]!

You pulled a bomb just standing there at the start but you PSed in time. Maybe SH bomb pull>Zair but it work.
Nice quick spacing. around 0:24 you Zair a few times too high and he dash attacks. Start Zair lower.
This guy's good at shielding your projectiles like at 0:27. You start laggy boomerang/bomb pulls in place. Do those more while SHing around and avoiding him.
0:30 you threw two bombs randomly, probably a mistake for the 2nd. When I use Wolf or G&W vs another Link they are much harder to fight when Link's holding a bomb.
Snake has a huge advantage on that stupid platform; if he's on get off asap.
0:46 you keep throwing bombs right. Again probably a mistake but try throwing one up or holding rather than immediately throwing them.
0:49 Snake's dumb jab or Ftilt edge guarding. Ledgestalling and attack or bombdraw then regrabbing the ledge would have worked since Snake committed to jabs.
0:56 much better use of bombs, you like to throw the boomerang wile standing. Also ground bounce the 'rang sometimes, it covers the approach area better.
1:02 too close for Zair. Fair would have been better.
You get bombs out fast, which is good, but you could aim them better. Several aren't anywhere near Snake.
1:11 Good read.
1:19 great skill with the bomb...ledgehop Fair. Too bad he blocked it. In my experience people expect ledge hops until the see a different pattern and stalling on the ledge or jumping is often safer at first.
1:22 no, Snake's Ftilt's not broken:glare:
Around 1:27 you use several projectiles too close.
1:33 that's how it's done:)
1:38 He's covered the common habit of immediately ledgehopping. Mix in stalls etc.
You might have lived by throwing a boomerang or arrow out to cover you.
Don't you love how Link's recovery is like that and Snake's go pretty far even though he's more powerful and heavy than Link?:mad:

Read the situation more and be patient. He has great traits that Link doesn't:urg:
That's all I have time for.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Hey there. I'm not really a Link main, but here's my Link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rOpG9MRMlU&feature=youtu.be

:x
Hi :bee:.
I assume you want a critique. If not don't read the collapsed text.
General:
You have a typical defensive beginner Link. You move but frequently stop when using a projectile; spam while moving from the jump/SH. Another important thing Link needs to do when spamming is to get different projectiles onstage together. Don't just wait for the boomerang to go away or always throw a bomb before attacking again. It's possible (but won't happen in a game) for Link to have 2 bombs, his boomerang and 1 or 2 arrows all onscreen at once and Link can easily have 1 of each projectile out as he spams. Work on maximizing your spamming and it's speed and efficiency.

Your fighting is slow. You attack then stop for a second; Link's attacks should flow into the next and pressure the opponent. You also throw out attacks that are too far like Fsmash and others. Link is very punishable; you need to not leave openings from missed sword attacks. Your jabs are slow too, tap 'A' three times fast to speed them up. Include jab cancels; 'A'>'A'> UpB is the easiest because the 'B' Spin Attack won't buffer Link's 3rd jab and you can press the buttons quickly without crouching or waiting. Space sword attacks so the tip of Link's sword connects; you're often too close or far. More SH Zair, it's a great spacer. Don't forget about Ftilt, Utilt, Usmash, Uair, Fair, and grab; every move has its uses.

You have phases of spamming and phases of sword fighting. Switch from one to the other as the situation changes and support Link's sword game with projectiles. Pick up the pace too, don't give Fox time to catch his breath. Link should almost never be waiting without doing something.

Momentum cancel launches. Strong upward launches should be canceled with Dair and side launches with Bair. Don't neglect shielding, spotdodges and shield grabs. Airdodges too.

Specific:
0:13 FF Nair to jabs, good tactic.
1:04 charged arrows are invitations for reflectors.
1:20 Lots of rolls. Link's rolls are bad. You fire a ground arrow at close range afterwards. Arrows have little hitstun and are best to support spamming or intercept. Jab would have been better.
1:35 A little better spamming here. That was nice of you to SD after Fox SDed.
2:11 tech your landings. Zair and Nair are great combo breakers for theses situations.
2:34 Good Dair read. When stopping ledge jumps it's safer to space Dair so if you miss Link will move slightly offstage. This is better because it hits if they wait on the ledge or stall and avoids Dair landing lag. Fairy taunt!

Good start but your Link needs a lot of work. That Fox wasn't very good, just saying.
I hope that helps:).

D

Deleted member 189823

Thank you.

I really like how Izaw and Legan play. They are the best Links.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Izaws Link is really good, but when was the last time he used him? He is mostly playing Sheik now for some damn reason.

_Saint_

Smash Apprentice
Dude Izaws Link was a beast. He has the fastest Link I've ever seen lol

Rizen

Smash Legend
It's fine to bump official video or Q&A threads. Nice rainy textures. My wii isn't hacked and textures often confuse me during fights.
I don't know if you want critiques or not and some people, myself included lol, get mad about unwanted critiques. Be sure to post if you want them or not with the videos.

I'll give a general Diddy MU tip:
Diddy's bananas are transcendent (they ONLY react to hurt boxes and never hitbubbles) so he can throw them strait through jabs, smashes, aerials etc then punish the trip.
Link has a few tricks to counter them: arrows and boomerang will pass through thrown bananas without either attack being affected. The benefit is Diddy trades hits and Link has time to escape banana chains/combos. Bananas alone do little damage. Quickdraw is very useful in this MU because it covers landings and Diddy is hit too; Zair covered landings usually are better but bananas go through Zair and stop it when Link is hit.
Bombs are an item and have a hurtbox so they will stop bananas- in fact bombs out prioritize them and will pass strait through bananas leaving the 'nana to land where the bomb hit it (only sideways throws apply). And of course, characters can't trip in the air.
So spam hard and fast while moving quickly with SHs. Keep in mind item throws are very fast attacks and Diddy throwing a banana beats and cancels Everything except dash attack, quick air catches, shield, Link's Hylian Shield (not a good option), and Link's projectiles and item throws. IMO Diddy's speed is far more dangerous to Link then his banana tricks.

D

Deleted member 189823

Yeah, I wanted critique, but thank you for the tips. :D

Rizen

Smash Legend
Yeah, I wanted critique, but thank you for the tips. :D
Okay. Game 2 had platforms so I'll critique that. (Is that a hack that prevents stage changes?)
0:05 Good start dropping and pulling a bomb but then you threw it and quickdrawed while Diddy was jumping off the platform which wastes your preparation.
0:07 use the invincibomb AT (shield+'A' together in the air with no direction) to drop the bomb while dodging and not take damage too before landing. Or drop the bomb and buffer shield.
0:27 don't spam short with the boomerang and bomb, spam pressure has to threaten to hit Diddy.
0:34 good work keeping bombs in play. If Diddy rushes without a banana you can Fsmash or Spin Attack and keep your bomb.
You're damaging yourself a lot by throwing bombs forward so Diddy and you are hit. SH>down throw bomb>FF Nair or SH invincibomb or run back a little>Fsmash or throw bomb or bombslide to not hurt yourself.
0:45-1:07 you spam fast but in places where Diddy won't be pressured or hit which wastes the spam. Down throwing those bombs was hasty; hold a bomb when you need to. The quickdraw that fell short would have hit if you'd charged it a little.
1:16 2 short projectile attacks let Diddy shoot Link with a peanut.
1:22 IDK what diddy was thinking but good punish.
You draw bombs fast which is a good thing but you also throw the fast without aiming well, which wastes them. Hold bombs sometimes and use Zair, Fsmash and Link's other projectiles. Then throw the bomb for a quick interrupting attack.
1:49-1:56 much better projectile spacing.
Bombs can go over short characters' heads if they crouch or are in a low animation:c.
2:09 this is when you should invincibomb or drop the bomb and catch it with Nair or Dair and FF.
2:11 never roll on platforms.
2:22 better spamming! Work on throwing out spam even faster.
2:43 hopeless Dair.
2:49 peanut catching Fair, nice.
2:53 you threw 2 bombs up so they wouldn't explode near the ledge and charged an arrow too close. When ledge guarding by throwing a bomb up make it barely fall past the ledge. An intercepting Fair would have been good. Don't retreat when the opponent has to recover.
3:01 bad spacing for that Dair. it would have missed most of Diddy's return options. If you SH a Dair in that situation space it so it falls past the ledge and the Dair will hit stalls and plankers.
When up throwing 2 bombs walk a little to the side after the 1st so the 2nd doesn't land on you.
3:36 Diddy's banana will beat all you standard attacks. Shielding would have been the best option. Utilt probably won't chain more than twice.
3:47 Another time you space your spamming too short and were hit by a peanut.
Peanuts lose to every attack Link has. You could have dash attack through or backed up a little and spammed Diddy.
4:11 more fast but short spaced spamming.

Overview:
*Aim. Spamming only works if it threatens to hit the opponent; don't be over eager. Position and space your spamming.
*You pulled bombs fast but were predictable with them and always threw them right away either forward, up or down. Use more bomb options, combos and mindgames.
*You often threw a bomb forward then shot an arrow. This setup has no followups and only 1 of the projectile can hit. Boomerang>arrow can setup arrow locks.
*Angle your boomerang throws in the best position. Mostly it went strait.
*Don't neglect Zair, Bair, Fair and Uair to work with your spam in the air and Ftilt and other ground attacks. You retreated to spam more when you had the upper hand. Link's projectiles are meant to help space and support his sword attacks.
*Important: most of your spamming was in place SHs move around the stage as you spam.
*When Diddy's in a bad place pressure him.
*Very little shielding and no grabs. Mix those in sometimes. Link needs to use all his mindgame options.
*Jab cancel for more damage.

'hope that helps;)

Rizen

Smash Legend
Critique:

So I ordered this device, had some friends over, and finally uploaded two videos to youtube of me and a friend playing a friendly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBgSgJb09Ag&feature=youtu.be
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kbk6f3nii1g&feature=youtu.be

Can you guys check these out and give me some pointers? I realize I make mistakes in this video and I still need to practice to get all the ATs down. However it would be helpful if someone observed any bad habits I have. I'm also looking for more effective approach strategies. I usually destroy the guy playing as Anon unless he players as Pit. Lately he's been beating me about 50% of the time when he plays Pit, which is unusual. I also have difficulty landing my Zair's on him. Particularly, I have difficulty landing Zair's on short characters too. Can't seem to hit him solely with that first hitbox.
Game 1

Start: Several characters can snipe Link before he can spam, Pit's one. Link shouldn't stand still when pulling a bomb. Shield dash in or SH>bomb pull would be better.
0:08 Link's Fsmash can hit Pit through his angle ring. Fsmash is great for DIing out of multi-hit moves like that and punishing through them. You need to be comfortable using Fsmash with a bomb in hand; it takes practice. I have 'R' set to attack so when I pull a bomb I can hold R and tap 'C' forwards to Fsmash.
0:15 Bair spaced too far, retreat and reset the situation or double jump. Never land in an opponent's grab rage without a good bomb trick.
0:18 Dair is tempting but learn to fight that. Instead FF Nair and buffer a move as Link lands. FF Nair is one of Link's best options.
0:26 You double jumped but should have spammed boomerang or bomb pulled. Zair was too close. Link can medium range spam Pit.
0:34 (a few seconds earlier- good SDI, follow up with an attack) Another FF Nair time. When possible always land behind the opponent to prevent immediate shield grabs. You could have gone for the ledge too.
0:59 good Spotdodge timing. Try to make attacks flow into the next without stopping for a second in between. Your spacing is a bit close. Also don't neglect Link's projectiles.
1:03 late timing.
1:05 Nice auto canceling Dair spacing. You would have hit by Utilting as you landed.
1:07 Defend your recoveries! Boomerang, Zair or FF airdodge>Zair tether all would have worked. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=ThPEZoxxfaE#t=198s
1:20-1:23 That's how to space!
1:34 (was this wifi?) Space Link's recovery closer. If light arrows are a bother then FF airdodge>Zair tether the ledge (linked above) <-this makes Link intangible for a long drop distance and only fails when the opponent can edge hog.
1:38 Too close for an arrow. When Link has stock loss invulnerability you can safely go for big hits like Fsmash/Dsmash/Ftilt.
1:51 you land directly in front of Pit a LOT. It's always a bad tactic.
2:06 Dodge and quickly punish. You would have landed Utilt, Spin Attack or probably Dsmash.
2:11 momentum cancel. Throw attacks out when offstage. Good work spacing the bomb pull and recovery (remember tethering is an option). You then hastily threw the bomb down when Pit wasn't under you.
2:14 notice how Nair hit Pit and gave Link time to dodge. He could have shield grabbed so Zair would have been safer.
2:37 Pit out camps Link from a distance. Combine projectiles and attacks; you often only throw 1 attack out at a time. Link can realistically have his boomerang, a bomb, and an arrow or standard attack on screen all at once. Link needs to flood the stage with projectiles to keep up with other characters.
2:46 lots of backwards arrows. I'm not sure why you did this.
2:52 a bomb thrown that doesn't go near the enemy is better held for later. Hold a bomb while Zairing and spamming then throw it for a quick, high priority attack.
2:55 You missed a perfect opportunity for a bomb-covered landing, invincibomb or bomb drop>FF>PS would have worked. Too close for an arrow again.
2:57 that could have been whiplashed (works the same with a bomb) but it was hard to see coming. To momentum cancel, throw the bomb backwards>start DIing>Bair to catch the bomb. You also wasted Link's 2nd jump as he was flying back; save his jump.
3:27 and before: good DI. You need to recognize when to punish faster. You SH airdodged one of Pit's arrows, cancel the dodge with a Zair and that's how you Zair approach Pit.
3:40 Link's Fsmash (unlike TLink's :glare:) has the hit bubbles only on his sword and Link steps forward. This lets opponents roll behind him. SH Fair is a good alternative and chains into a ground attack. Otherwise tip-of-attack spacing is very important or Link will miss because the opponent rolled behind even though he was not right next to them. Fsmash was too close.
3:45 nice intercepting except for throwing the boomerang backwards. Pick up the pace and throw more bombs out while you can.
4:01 That's how to space Fair's long lasting attack to trap opponent's movements and hit with the 2nd cut. Good work.
4:08 missed another punish, you should have shield grabbed instead of Fsmashing.
4:11 you can go for the ledge in bad situations like this.
4:19-4:21 this is how to chain attacks, good stuff.
5:00 Here you land with a quickdraw and keep your bomb, good tactic. Bad bomb down throw spacing afterwards, unfortunately.
5:07ish, better flow of attacks but too close spacing and bad attack choices.
End, Link can't challenge characters directly like that without a lucky surprise. Space with Zair and Spam. When he can kill you but he has low damage, deal damage with defensive spamming and don't try anything close or with lots of lag (Dair/Fsmash/etc) until you have a good opportunity to hit and KO Pit.

Overall:
Good stuff but your game needs major refinements. Don't land in front of the opponent. Spam faster and with move versatility to get several attacks out together. Don't stop in between actions Link almost always has a good action like bomb pulling, spamming etc. Space farther. Good shielding and spotdodges but you overused them and became predictable. Alternatives to shielding/dodging are preferred if you can help it. Remember to tether ledges as a mix up or safer recovery and throw in more Ftilt, Dsmash, Utilt, and grabs as needed.
I suggest play around with Link and learning the best moves for different spacing situations. You seemed hesitant to attack and punish which hurt your spacing and game a lot.

Critiques can sound critical; sorry if mine does.

Spock

Smash Rookie
Thank you Rizen. That gives me a lot to work on. I'll try to get another good recording when I've improved some more. I get what you mean when you say I look hesitant during the match and that my flow of attacks is weak. But how do I go about improving that area of my game? Were there any particular spacing situations in either of those matches that I should focus on?

I think I'm struggling to space and land certain attacks because I'm trying (but failing) to compensate for what I think my opponent is about to do. It feels like I miss a lot of attacks because I thought my opponent was about to be within the proper spacing for the move but was wrong in reality.

I'm still not very confident with bombs either in the air and grounded yet which is why I'm always hasty to throw them. What's my best option when I've got a bomb in hand but my opponent is right in my face? I usually just throw it and damage us both. I also struggle with the timing of ZAC and often just drop my bomb when I attempt to land it. Is there a trick to this? I've found that it's a littler easier to perform at the peak of my jump. Does link's horizontal or vertical momentum have on effect on the timing of the catch?

Sorry for all the questions....

Rizen

Smash Legend
But how do I go about improving that area of my game? Were there any particular spacing situations in either of those matches that I should focus on?

I think I'm struggling to space and land certain attacks because I'm trying (but failing) to compensate for what I think my opponent is about to do. It feels like I miss a lot of attacks because I thought my opponent was about to be within the proper spacing for the move but was wrong in reality.
Most of Link's spacing has to be learned with experience. Work on hitting with Link's farthest out hitbubbles. The main thing that was bad is you landed too close in front of the opponent. Try to land Zair's length away or failing that, behind the opponent or drop a bomb to cover you. Link's landing canceling Zair/Bair/Nair/Fair don't force Link to commit to an attack because he can land and start another action. Ground attacks force Link to wait for them to end. Spacing with air attacks/spam before ground attacks is better but stay near the ground or platforms.

Link is slow so it's hard to fight on reaction. Forcing the opponent to take action with Zair and projectiles allows Link to know where the opponent will be better.
It sometimes helps to attack early if you're spacing close because the opponent is either aggressive or you're late.
You have to 'instinctively' do things without thinking, which is developed through experience. Like when an you shield an attack to grab or punish the lag, same goes for DIing out of attacks and most punishing opportunities. When to spam what projectile...
When the opponent is too close, Utilt and Dsmash are fast (sort of) GTFO attacks that hit around Link.
I'm still not very confident with bombs either in the air and grounded yet which is why I'm always hasty to throw them. What's my best option when I've got a bomb in hand but my opponent is right in my face? I usually just throw it and damage us both. I also struggle with the timing of ZAC and often just drop my bomb when I attempt to land it. Is there a trick to this? I've found that it's a littler easier to perform at the peak of my jump. Does link's horizontal or vertical momentum have on effect on the timing of the catch?
Shielding with a bomb as it explodes will attack and not harm Link, besides slight shield pressure. You can spotdodge repeatedly when the bomb starts flashing and probably be safe. OoS jump>throw bomb strait down is another option. This is more advanced but good to know (read the description): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90gqoqtaajo&feature=plcp

Catching a bomb with an air attack (I can't remember what ZAC stands for, lol)? Z drop and start the aerial ASAP. It's easier when link falls because the bomb falls when it's dropped. Link's air speed is terrible but if he's launched it might move him far enough to miss catching the bomb; there's an area around characters where they'll Z catch or aerial attack/airdodge catch an item (I'm not sure how big it is, probably a little bigger than the hurtbox). If the item's outside that Link will not catch it. Link's bombs will not detonate by touching him (unless they're 'converted' by a reflector or caught and thrown by the opponent) so they're easier for him to catch because his hurtbox is safely part of the catch area.

Link's THE hardest character to learn and play right, IMO. Don't be discouraged if you can't remember everything, lol.
Feel free to ask questions; that's what the forums are for ;)

Spock

Smash Rookie
I've been working on the advice you gave me last week and I think I'm seeing improvement. I'm using that R technique you told me and I can't believe how much easier it is to do the bombslash using R than using A. It's super effective but I'm worried I spam it a little too much. Anyway, I went home for the weekend and had a chance to play my younger brother who mains Samus, Ganondorf, and DDD. He's the most skilled sparring partner I have so I made sure to record a couple matches. Would you mind taking a look and critiquing both matches when you have time?

Link vs DDD - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBQaB6Ra-i4&feature=youtu.be
Link vs Samus - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bUJl1NAmCs

I'm pretty used to these matchups (I'm less worried about beating Ganondorf...) and I was pretty comfortable during these matches. I'm hoping someone with a pair of fresh eyes can tell me if I've gotten into any bad habits. I'm always happy to take any advice too.

Thank you in advance.

Rizen

Smash Legend
I've been working on the advice you gave me last week and I think I'm seeing improvement. I'm using that R technique you told me and I can't believe how much easier it is to do the bombslash using R than using A. It's super effective but I'm worried I spam it a little too much. Anyway, I went home for the weekend and had a chance to play my younger brother who mains Samus, Ganondorf, and DDD. He's the most skilled sparring partner I have so I made sure to record a couple matches. Would you mind taking a look and critiquing both matches when you have time?

Link vs DDD - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBQaB6Ra-i4&feature=youtu.be
Link vs Samus - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bUJl1NAmCs

I'm pretty used to these matchups (I'm less worried about beating Ganondorf...) and I was pretty comfortable during these matches. I'm hoping someone with a pair of fresh eyes can tell me if I've gotten into any bad habits. I'm always happy to take any advice too.

Thank you in advance.
Sure,
DDD
You spaced farther and better but played in his face which is a big mistake vs DDD. His shield starts frame 2 and if he shield grabs Link at any % he gets an across-the stage CG (Chain Grab), DDD also has the biggest non-tether grab in the game that is about even with Link's jab range. That DDD didn't punish very well and messed up his CG; if done right it can't be escaped unless a bomb's out. Which brings up Link needs to spam and Zair really hard and use lots of bomb tricks. If DDD throws Link off the stage he can Bair wall Link for easy gimps (Zair outreaches DDD's Bair, then Link can fall and UpB to the ledge but DDD's Bair eats boomerangs:c.

start-0:25 Immediately you closed the distance. Never attack DDD close except when continuing an attack chain; remember DDD can shield in 2 frame and if Link's in his grab range when he shields it gives DDD a CG. Luckily he didn't punish well. You had much better attack flow and move choice although you spaced too close.
0:26 nice bomb draw, you should have SH the boomerang and maybe quickdrawed the arrow or fired in the air instead of spamming from 1 spot.
0:28 Good shield pressure tactic but wrong time. You SH Bair in front of DDD to catch the bomb. He was shielding, grab>Bthrow could have hit with the bomb before the Bthrow and been relatively safe.
0:32 Uair spacing here. Dair was a bad choice.
0:36 Good spot dodge and punish. I think your Bairs are too close because you always move towards the opponent. You can SH Bair in place and start retreating part way through the move. With Fair/Bair/Zair it's often smash to SH forward a little then tilt the controlstick backwards after the attack starts to hit as far as possible without landing close.
0:42 Right move, right time. Good use of Nair to reset a bad situation.
0:45 You had a good position then you made bad choices by throwing the bomb forward and attacking in DDD's Bair range. Throwing the bomb up would have limited DDD's air space and you were under him so Uair was better.
0:48 nice bomb pull to reverse quickdraw!
0:51 Fair ended before it could hit and you landed right in front of DDD. Zair had better spacing but this is way too aggressive vs DDD anyway. You're lucky he didn't punish that.
0:53 nice bomb pull> throw bomb up>grab Uthrow mind game. Even if he had grabbed you the bomb would have reset the situation. Clever thinking. Try to get bombs on screen while moving a lot more often like this.
1:00 you like cross-overs but don't follow up to make them safe. Good airdodge, bad landing attack. The jab missed. Utilt would have hit most of DDD's options quickly but jab only would have hit if he rolled behind you (which is not smart).
Around 1:08 good work getting bombs in play, notice how the give Link 'insurance'. A bit hasty with attacks that didn't hit here.
1:20 If Link's tether starts too far to grab a ledge but too close to Zair this happens; he threw you from the ledge so the tether didn't come out until the hitstun wore off which was a little too late. When this happens, tap down to 'cut' the tether and immediately double jump (if you still have it) and/or UpB. FFing will cancel the tether ending lag but Link must recover very quickly after doing so.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwvkpeOnaNA&feature=player_detailpage#t=140s
(Of course I button lag SD shortly after :/)
1:31 Great grab fro the tip of Link's reach, these can be great for punishing attack lag if you can space the properly. DDD survives a long time but Uthrow might have killed him there, with bad DI.
1:41 Good bomb pull and you threw it up to limit his recovery space. Then you ran back behind the bomb 'wall'. Uair or the bomb probably would have hit if you were on the other side. Make the bomb and aerials work and space together.
1:53 careful not to commit to an action under a falling bomb, lol.
1:59 You still space aerials too close, this Zair was way too close.
2:16 good jab canceling to beat his shielding. Mixing in grabs in this situation works too. Try toy jab cancel more often; it usually give better results than standard jab combos.
3:05 Dair safely bounces DDD's up B. Go for the ledge and don't UpB high over the stage, it's extremely high risk and low return. Good use of that bomb; it kept him from punishing.
3:21 more commonly you'd be grabbed for Bairing a shield that close. This block and punish example is exactly why landing in front of opponents is so dangerous. This DDD is not taking advantage of his grabs and Dthrow CG.
3:43 good use of wind and good aim there. Ledge hop attacks are good but because this their the option opponents predict most and can be countered hard. Zair tether stalling adds mindgames.
3:54 This is why UpB over the stage is dangerous. He should have Fsmashed and might have killed.
4:03 bad move. Zair was the best there. Don't Dair on stage unless you're somewhat sure the opponent will be forced to take it (punishing lag, chaining attacks) or you have insurance (bomb to cancel it or can guide Dair offstage to avoid the ending lag.
DDD would not have died from the Dair so it's better to save it for higher damage.
End good read on DDD's part. Airdodge to tether the ledge would have avoided that.

Summery:
Much better:bee:.
Good use of bomb pulls now work on getting more out faster and positioning a little better.
Better flow in your game, you made better attack choices too. Remember Link can retreat as he attacks and be less vulnerable. This supports spacing too. You used a wider variety of moves which also is good.

Spam more as moving camps. I barely saw any boomerangs and arrows. When you did use them you often were too close or stopped in place to spam. SH and jump spam with all 3 of Link projectiles together a lot and mix in sword and Zair attacks when necessary. DDD and most opponents must approach so spamming with defensive spacing is Link's best position until he can start a good chain or something.
Attacking fast is good, it keeps opponents off balance but you're too aggressive and Link is easy to shield and punish. Be more passive with spamming and spacing until you get a good opening. Throw out a lot of attacks but space farther, spam more and play safer. Don't land in front of, or even near, opponents; landings are punishable.
Try for bomb footstools, arrow locks and (if you can) jab locks to land KO moves.

Great improvement, keep at it ;).
I only have time for that game right now. I might critique the 2nd game later.

Top Bottom