• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Hey! Watch out!" Link Video & Critique Thread

-CodeX-

Smash Rookie
Seems like you got more positive with each video! :)

Anywhoo, I find it funny that you manage to point out my weaknesses so easily. Keeping calm is often a problem for me, but I'm getting better at it. The main reason for this I think is that I had to step it up quite a bit in a very short time (I used to be casual, but then I started to play with people who are quite good), and I still haven't caught up with most of my regular opponents. As I said though, I'm working on that.

I've gotten time to practice my FF nairs the last few days, and I am finding them to be useful, even when I'm not bombing. Also working on the tilts (utilt in particular), and it's proving to be promising. Just needs more work. I'll try to upload more matches soon! Thanks again! I'll have to stay on the forum now, as per our agreement!

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
Seems like you got more positive with each video! :)

Anywhoo, I find it funny that you manage to point out my weaknesses so easily. Keeping calm is often a problem for me, but I'm getting better at it. The main reason for this I think is that I had to step it up quite a bit in a very short time (I used to be casual, but then I started to play with people who are quite good), and I still haven't caught up with most of my regular opponents. As I said though, I'm working on that.

I've gotten time to practice my FF nairs the last few days, and I am finding them to be useful, even when I'm not bombing. Also working on the tilts (utilt in particular), and it's proving to be promising. Just needs more work. I'll try to upload more matches soon! Thanks again! I'll have to stay on the forum now, as per our agreement!
Well, having played on a competitive level (at least on WiFi) for five years does have it's perks, I'd expect.

I'm really excited to see these upcoming matches. We should play on WiFi sometime :awesome:

-CodeX-

Smash Rookie
I guess we can do that. I recently moved though, and haven't set up my internet yet, but that won't be long. I also might be attending a mini tourney this wednesday. I'll see if I can't get some of those matches recorded.

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
vs MK
Ken Neth http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZuMocoznIo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2N00Yo1Q2I

vs Pikachu
Tane http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybKRtIS_n5I

vs Ice Climbers
I See http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JnzfP96Xzo

The matches to watch are the last of match of the MK and the ICs sets. I got really fortunate to go up against an ICs player who doesn't know how to chaingrab Link yet, but I can't rely on luck forever. :) You can critique either of those if you want.
And don't say anything about the first stock in the ICs match, or the first match in the MK set, those were lulzy xD

Rizen

Smash Legend
v Camden (Kirby) *2nd Match: Critique Requested*

So, critique please :D
4:06 obviously don't throw the bomb down, lol. Invincibombs can be a great tool vs rushing air opponents.
4:10 good read with that spotdodge. Dsmash's 2nd hit takes a while to come out and SH Bair would have been better.
4:12 tech those if possible. Generally rolling into an opponent is bad but you were in a bad spot anyway. Sadly Usmash is easy to go between and small characters like kirby often are missed on the ground. Try other mixups like SH Bair and step away>Fsmash (etc).
4:16 the FF Nair was very unsafe. If you FF Nair try to land behind the opponent. You had a good chance to bomb pull there. Kirby is faster and spaces Link well so Link needs to use his versatility and range attacks for traps.
4:19 that was pretty clever. Keep in mind invincibombs work in those situations too.
4:21 unfortunate wifi mistiming. Utilt would have given you a 2nd chance to attack before Kirby landed or jumped again. Ftilt is often better for punishing landing because it hits higher and lasts 2 more frames than Fsmash.
4:23 good job not losing your cool and spotdodging>Utilt. When Kirby dodged you should have maybe SH away and Bair-ed but there's no great options for Link :/. If it's obvious Kirby will spotdodge punish with Spin Attack.
4:20 to 4:40 you have a good close range game but it's a steep uphill climb for Link. You're better off moving away and getting bombs out than playing near Kirby.
4:40-4:48 Use projectile together! I want to say a bomb pull takes 40 frames. Link is not able to spam by throwing out 1 bomb at a time. You need to use Brang and arrows with bombs.
4:50 unsafe FF Nair he could have grabbed or Fsmashed. Try to land behind opponents but more importantly don't enter Kirby's advantage spacing- Kirby wins up close. Link can make Kirby approach so get projectiles out and moving camp until he forces you to fight close.
4:58 a good opportunity to walk forward and Fsmash back or SH into the stage and Bair or bomb pull etc.
5:02 good bomb pull from a launch. Keep the bomb and get your Brang out with the bomb in hand. Try to DI towards the stage sooner. The 2nd jump was a bit preemptive and upB unsafe but it's hard to tell sometimes on wifi.
5:05 Ftilt spacing but even better would be to platform drop and bomb pull or something. You did a good FF Nair>Utilt but it's better to not enter that situation in the first place and passively spam Kirby.
5:11 get projectiles covering you faster.
5:15 way too close for Zair landing. If Link lands in a shielding character's grab reach he can't safely jab anyone. You have a good landing game; you shouldn't be forcing it though.
5:20 don't spam 1 projectile at a time. Fair>land on platform>Ftilt would have been better than Uair there.
5:26 Utilt instead of Dsmash when he's above Link. Utilt is only 1 frame slower to start (frame 7) and ends much faster.
5:32 wifail SD I hate those :( Ledge invulnerability can be hard to judge on wifi so it's best to play it safe and act when you know Link is invulnerable even if that means renewing invulnerability. On the ledge with Zair the invulnerability frames will build ontop each other if you tap away>Z>Z>tap away>Z>Z fast enough so don't 'hang around'.
5:42 good combo breaking Nair.
5:56 lots of single projectile spam leading up to this and the Dair was easy to see and avoid. It's hard to not have the lead but you have to frame trap to get strong hits landed.
6:13 you've fought too close this entire game but here you jump>2nd jump to approach without any projectile cover and FF Nair Kirby's shield. That's terribly unsafe and basically going where Kirby wants you. Link can't blitz even on wifi with FF nair>buffered jabs.
6:21 good read.
6:25 IDK what that Dair was. You weren't anywhere near being KO off the top so it's better to Bair, DI and get projectiles out.
6:38 good use of Link's fall speed and Brang to recover.
6:45 Kirby baited that. If you're not high enough to auto cancel Dair or the opponent's not at KO%s it's better to Nair or even better get bombs out.
6:49 Kirby's Bair WRECKS Link. It's best to simply not be in that spacing with is hard but Link can always passively retreat a bit and spam. Not sure what the Uair was to momentum cancel.
6:56 bad boomerang spacing. Never spam so the opponent is in reach of melee hitting Link, which also eats Brangs.
7:00 jump>2nd jump>FF>land is time completely wasted. Get bombs out and up at Kirby then try to frame trap with (from highest to ground) Uair/Fair/Utilt. make him use his jumps than land and pressure Kirby some more.

As mentioned you have a good landing game but Link is weak in that area. Play in Link's strong areas of forcing approaches and frame traps. Link needs to be passive and Kirby is hard to space don't do Kirby's work of coming near for him (or for anyone who must approach).

Get projectile onscreen together and working to help Link. Keep in mind anytime Link is far enough from Kirby his projectiles= safe free damage and Link can moving camp a lot.

Work SH Bair/Fair into your game more with retreating spacing (but so they hit). Ftilt to cover landings more than Fsmash.

Try to mix it up more. You had obvious landing punishing and Jump>FF whatever habits.

Just play keep away the entire time and if Kirby wants to hit you he must approach Link's attacks. Even if you're behind Link can space attacks and spam so Kirby must approach that last few feet or let Link keep getting free damage. That Kirby wasn't that great, you just played the MU wrong :/

Sorry to be critical but that was pretty bad :/

Hope that helps ;)

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
Rizen, it's a critique. If you are handing out roses and accolades then I'd punch you in the mouth and be done with it. So you're not, so that is what I want you to be doing, LOL

Time to have conversation :D
I think it's important to respond to your critique here, 'cause it'll better help me to see where you are coming from and for you to see where I am coming from here. So here's to hoping you'll respond back to this--and maybe get other people in on this conversation as well.
(Because what is the point of asking for critiques if I don't get anything out of it)

And this is of course from my perspective, so the point is for you to disagree with me here if you see anything that you think isn't great. So please look at it with an open mind :D

4:20-4:40 Love your critique here. My boomerang was already out and Kirby, whatever he was, was definitely too low for an arrow to imaginably hit him. So I was using projectiles here. Problem: Bomb mismanagement. I wrote a little summary of it at the end.
5:15 Yup, totally misspaced that one. Hard to predict where you're going to end up 1/2 second before you actually do it xD
5:56 Yup. That was pretty stupid of me.
6:13 The point of that nair was to pressure his shield and knock him off onto the ledge. The unfortunate part about the whole thing was the WiFi mistiming caused me to end literally a pixel or two away from being able to knock him off the edge. :( Also, he was about a pixel or two away from being knocked off the edge by that anyways, but that's why I'm experimenting. Gotta try and see where those limits end.
As a general rule: I generally try to be more aggressive on WiFi precisely because people will be far more inclined to shield. I knew he would shield here if I approached so I did it but herp derp on that spacing. Besides, the point was to turn around and face towards him before jumping into that so I would have the range to pressure his shield but I didn't so it turned into a herp derp.
Part of the fun is doing unbelievable things that pressure your opponents into doing exactly what you want. Mindgames, son. Just don't mess them up and herp derp.

like me

6:25 FOR LEEROY--It was actually supposed to be a bair lol but no harm done <.<
6:45 I slightly mistimed the dair input so that it didn't autocancel. I'm pretty sure that was a lag spike :(
6:49 I know what you mean. I'm not sure how to actually move away from that kind of positioning--give me a specific idea of how to deal with that. I HATE getting caught in that position in the few matches I have had versus Kirbys.

Totally agree on your critique of ftilt versus fsmash. In fact, that's what I was trying to do. I tend to have somewhat poor finger coordination and do usmashes instead of utilts and fsmashes instead of ftilts. Just means I need to keep practicing :)

I do like your playstyle of using approaching and retreating bairs/fairs. That's something I'll start to work on :bee:

I do see what you mean though about projectiles: I think my flaw here is bomb mismanagement. I'm not throwing them when I'm getting a clear advantage. I'm just chucking them out instead. If I managed my bombs better, I'd have better frame traps for projectiles and other attacks as well. (I try throw projectiles for frame traps, but I couldn't see any on Kirby so I had terrible set ups xD ) So that's something good for me to work on :)
And as pointed out, I AM using other projectiles lol.

I think the other problem here in regards to projectile management is that I have very little experience facing Kirby. I typically do really badly versus characters with multiple jumps just because I don't know how to throw stuff to catch them. I don't expect to NOT learn how to better projectile spam versus these characters, but any comments you have (and anyone else has--hint hint) would be greatly appreciated. Should I upangle boomerang throws out of retreating SHs when they're approaching from above and in front? I just don't know how to catch them yet. :/

Which was what all of those random bomb throws were for btw. Typically other characters would have been forced to dodge through those bombs as they went towards the ground, but Kirby just floated right over those :/ It's harder to catch people with projectiles when their character has much better vertical movement control, instead of essentially being forced to go either straight up or down, then can just hover at the same level towards you xD

So thoughts, let me know what you think. If you think I'm a total pighead, am too self-assured and smell of elderberries, let me know. Or you can tell me that I'm your new lord, but I don't beg for flattering or anything. I promise.

In the end, I'm deliberately trying to push a different playstyle of Link than is normal to try and find what options he really does have up-close. So I'm okay with taking losses if I'm learning his up-close game limits really well, because then I'll know both projectiles and melee games :)

Rizen

Smash Legend
Kirby's a very difficult MU for Link; he's a hard -2 but I would accept it as -3 on wifi :sadeyes:. There aren't any great options for Link.

Lol I know what you mean about Kirby floating over projectiles http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7f1_9qRsvM I've been on the bad end of that myself. Kirby has bad air movement but Link's not mobile at all and Kirby's good at getting around Link's attacks or rather over them. Keep in mind Kirby must eventually come down and Link can spam for as long (and longer) as Kirby air camps. The best solution is to choose a stage with a good platform layout to help Link.

My advice about projectile management is that it's not about using different projectiles so much as having different projectiles out at the same time. It's often good to hold a bomb and throw a boomerang or arrow instead of immediately throwing the bomb. Ideally Link wants to keep 2 or 3 projectiles onscreen throughout the match which means some bomb holding or throwing up, getting Brang out at the same time and using arrow if Brang's out.

For the 6:13 thing, you would have been safe and have better shield press with Zair instead of Nair. Being aggressive is important but never neglect going for the best spacing options. Kirby has a good grab reach but tip of attack Fair/Bair barely avoids it.

As I said, Link can force Kirby to approach those extra few feet even if Link's behind. Kirby risks taking damage that builds up if he doesn't move in and he can't completely air camp Link. Link can take a lot of damage and Kirby gets KOed pretty early.

http://www.smashboards.com/threads/kirby-the-amazing-guide.144039/
Kirby's Fsmash (starts on frame) 12 and Bair 6 have stupid reach and power and just wreck Link's spacing. At early % Kirby has that annoying throw combo thing that gives at least 30%+ and more if he reads Link's escapes well. His grab has good reach and speed. Kirby's Dair wrecks our recoveries with a long lasting series of weak spikes.

His Dtilt/Utitl hit on 4 and help start attack chains/grabs. All that in addition to his air camping makes Kirby a spacing nightmare.

KotierWolf

Smash Rookie
NNID
KotierWolf
3DS FC
0404-8218-2413
Sure, just pick any of the ones with Loss. You can skip the Yoshi one though, since I showed you that one already.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Sure, just pick any of the ones with Loss. You can skip the Yoshi one though, since I showed you that one already.
Okay I'll critique the 2nd game on here vs Wario: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CEHbGLGOQE
(a few things about the 1st game too many Dairs, use FF Nair instead. Where Wario is offstage and his bike is on stage pressure him! A run off Nair would have won the game)
2nd video:
4:14 you had not reason to approach. Wario must approach you so keep giving free damage until he does.
4:17 nice. Good bomb and FF platform use. Try to use platforms like this more when an opponent chases you.
4:20 an AT you should use here and other places is invincibomb (press airdodge and attack together while holding a bomb, L+A depending on your controls), it lets you deal close GTFO bomb damage without taking a hit.
4:30 lag interference buffering I'm guessing for that grab.
4:32 Bair would have been better than airdodging to land. Good work getting back onstage though.
4:34 spot dodge habit. He wasn't facing you. OoS Nair was good but you should have hopped away maybe with Zair or Fair instead. Link needs his space.
4:37 again bad spot dodge habit. Run away then SH Bair for that spacing. Wario is good at punishing spotdodges.
4:41 a better choice would be to FF and tether the ledge. Remember Link can quick tether up to 3 times and gets ledge invulnerability that stacks on the previous. Stuff like FF>Z tether ledge>Z reel in>back to let go>Z tether ledge>Z reel in>ledge hop Fair or Nair are great to regain stage control.
4:55 you moved into him ruining your spacing. Wario has great airspeed. Be careful to keep him at the tip of Link's sword reach and no closer. Link can wall off and Wario loses in reach. You Zair a lot but in many cases Fair is a better choice. Legan taught me Fair (and Bair) are awesome for spacing Wario. Wario is small and fast so Fair is often much better at walling him than Zair.
5:07 good bomb platform camping but keep in mind you don't have to follow bomb down throws with Nair. Pulling another bomb and playing more keep away would have been better. The jab buffered when landing was unnecessary.
5:08 you could have dropped the shield and Dsmashed but it was hard to see coming. Take advantage of when you PS attacks.
5:17 Zair with the bomb there.
Lots of time you could have invincibombed in the part btw.
5:26 nice arrow lock!
5:30 bad spacing to set the bomb. But dropping bombs so they rest on platforms is harder and less effective than simply throwing bombs up anyway. Bombs on platforms are easier to avoid or 'catch' and do not explode when the opponent touches them as they have no momentum.
That self bombing cost you the stock :(, tap up to get up the fastest without rolling or attacking.
5:32 good work momentum canceling and pulling that bomb. Throw more stuff like boomerangs out. You could have survived by covering your recovery.
5:47 too aggressive. Make Wario chase you.
5:49 bad Zair spacing, use Fair and retreat a bit instead.
5:50 way too close spacing. You're dropping the ball by aggressively attacking in Wario's preferred spacing. Remember Link has better reach than Wario and Wario must approach!
5:57 same thing as above, too close, bad Zair and so on.
6:02 another place where you could have safely got back on stage by FF tethering the ledge. After tethering mix things up with drop>bomb pulls, ledge jump bomb pull>down throw>FF Nair, Ledge hop Fair, and so on.
6:07 SH Bair would have been better than run off Fair. Fair is generally risky to run off because the cool down; if You missed he could easily hit you for the kill.
6:12 Don't break his bike! Wario wants you to break it so he can recover and get a tire to match Link's range attacks.
6:19 nice. But then you rushed in. Link can't rush down opponents. You should have walled him off after throwing the tire.
6:21 whiplash or tether that launch rather than UpBing to save time.
6:25 should have gone into platform bomb camping. Invincibombs let Link safely land on platforms.
6:31 you rushed into his preferred spacing. I wouldn't recommend it there but keep in mind tip of attack Fair out ranges Wario's Fsmash.
6:38 sword attacks? Use invulnerability to get projectile momentum going.
6:39 too far for Fsmash. Keep in mind a 2nd SH Zair is a great followup after Zair for damage and spacing adjustments.
6:42 you're reckless here and around this time. If you need to cool off and collect your head do it by retreating camping and reset the situation. Link loses when trying to blitz.
6:47 reset spacing by going for the ledge. Don't jump back into his attacks.
6:58 get projectile out! If you're going to wall wario do it with Fairs not Fsmashes.
7:01 too close projectiles and you should be spamming while SHing.
7:24 if wario Jumps up to intercept, FF airdodge>tether the ledge is guarenteed with the right spacing.
The last stock you panicked. Remember Link can live for a long time and get damage by being passive aggressive with projectiles. Comebacks are possible but you must keep your cool.

General:
Too close spacing. At closest, keep Wario at the tip of Fair's reach.
More Fairs, Bairs and Utilts. There are great to space wario with. You Zaired too much instead.
Make Wario come to you!
Platform camp! This is a great way to space and rack up damage. It's hard to chase Link when he's hopping around the platforms of BF throwing bombs down.
Invincibombs- use them. Nair is another good GTFO move. So is land>utilt. You dodged too much when he was in your face.
More projectile frame traps. You had good projectile use with one alone but try to use them together more in chains.

Link vs Wario:
Wario can be very difficult to space. Link needs to play keep away until Wario approaches or Wario will get in to fast with his great mobility. Platform camping is very effective. Wario will get in and Link needs to get him out and reset the situation many times in a match. Going for the ledge or Nair/invincibomb/Utilt can be good for resetting spacing. Don't challenge Wario's strong areas, play keep away and try to wall him off at the tip of Link's sword; anything closer Wario wins at. It's a solid -2 for Link.

Here's my latest win vs a good Wario if you want to see examples:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MaALeb2vvso

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
That ZSS/MK player had some of the shoddiest online play I've ever seen.

The only area he really got you in was off-edge play. His edgeguarding was actually the only thing he was doing okay at, but this is also where you needed to improve--you were impatient and tried to UpB too early at least two times when you should've waited around a second longer. Do not be impatient when recovering! He's going to edgehog if you do it early and high like that (and MK is one of the characters that can react quickly and take advantage of those kinds of early recoveries). If he managed to knock you away during that extra split second, take solace in the fact that he was going to get you anyway.

Other than that, you needed to focus more on controlling the center of the stage--and stage control is one of the weaknesses I've pointed out to you at least a couple of times. Most of his other kills were due to unfortunate or bad DI on your part while you were near the edge. Make an effort to stick to the center of the stage.

That player was highly impatient and had a very impractical style. His approaches were reckless and you punished them repeatedly. Shuttle looping right into a bomb, anyone? How about the worst edgeguard suicides you've ever seen in match 3? He threw away the match for you, but you gave way due to poor stage control.

Better stage control and more patient recoveries will yield better playing.

EDIT: Oh, and I loved the mix of patient spamming and aggressive reads in the Fox set. :)
Really, if you'd just add good stage control to your playing you'd take matches even easier.

Rizen

Smash Legend
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbtHItaAo-I&list=PLPHuIJqq-bOx5HA7tSfr-JNTvsdK-n0yW&index=5

Marth 1st game most of the mistakes look like rust from not playing in a while.
2nd Game:
3:30 that arrow worked but was risky. SH arrow without charging would have been safer if he'd PSed it.
3:35 nice jab cancel.
3:39 Bair was an okay option but he didn't tech to the right. you shouldn't have jumped after it but rather FF and maybe Utilted. You want to be below Marth and not above him without a 2nd jump.
3:42 invincibomb to escape pressure like this.
3:43 this Marth is good at pressuring and you seemed hesitant. You could have either thrown the bomb at him or FF>air dodge>tethered the ledge. You needed to do something to defend yourself.
3:49 use the invulnerability to get projectiles out. You wasted time with the SHs while he couldn't hurt you without getting more projectiles out.
3:51 Don't just rush in after throwing the bomb. You're closing the space between Link and Marth. Instead maybe throw bomb>Zair his shield.
3:53 Fair would have had better pay off than Nair but good tech chase.
3:54 this is a time when it's okay to pressure Marth. SH Brang or maybe Bair rather than bomb pulling and letting him regain stage control.
3:57 what? Instead try jumping>bomb down throw>FFNair.
4:02 another time when you let Marth safely return and get stage control. Notice when Marth's in a bad place and take advantage of that. Pulling the bomb gave up the opportunity. Instead maybe SH boomerang up at him>try to trap with Fair>land Utilt from under the platform.
4:05 Bair is a great quick pressuring move that spaces relatively safely. You give up opportunities to string attacks too much. BRang wasn't a bad choice but it was a bit too slow. Link needs to be fast in chaining. The Dair after was reckless; use Fair instead.
4:10 good jab cancels. Keep in mind Link can also Dsmash which might have KOed there because the low ceiling.
4:15 nice arrow but the BRang was too slow an option. Fair would have been best. Some times Link needs to be aggressive after making openings.
4:19 similar deal, you make an opening, this time with bombs, but let Marth recover afterwards. Link can't solely rely on projectile or melee attacks; he needs to switch back and forth.
4:27 really risky Fsmash spamming. Create openings, Zair works great vs Marth, then smash.
4:30 reckless aggression. You're not using projectiles and Zair to support melee attacks or vice versa like you need to.
4:38 Dsmash? It looks like you're rusty and auto piloting bad options.
4:40 LOL, gotta love them wind gimps <3
4:44 the quickdraw looked like an auto piloted attack with no chance of hitting. Bombs and BRang last onscreen longer and are better to get out.
4:52 good Bair but generally sloppy spacing let him punish the Usmash which should have been under Marth a bit more.
4:54 punish his rolls, jab cancel would have been best. Rather than rolling from shielding Link can grab Marth's DancingB with good reading or SH>Zair retreat if Marth cancels DB.
4:56 you could have punished with a Dair (or SH Fair to be safer) after the bomb. Reconize chances to chain attacks.
5:01 lucky he didn't Smash or Dtilt you. tether instead of upB when it's safe to save time.
5:06 Don't approach with DAC outside wifi lol. You're neglecting SH Zair as a spacing method a lot.
5:07 keep in mind FF>airdodge>tether the ledge is usually a great option to reset bad positions near the ledge. Marth is a character Link wants to get below and avoid being above except brief platform bombings.
5:17 good attack chain.
5:25 running>Brang was a good option but OoS Bair would have been a little better. After the BRang you abandoned the chain.
5:35 good backward Utilt. Don't double jump to approach afterward and Brang was done in Bair/Fair spacing. If you want to Brang don't move in.
5:37 don't roll into Marth. Work on the rolling habit.
5:39 jab cancel>dsmash might have KOed. Dsmash is faster than grab/Utilt after jab cancels so make good use of it.
5:50 looks like that auto pilot thing.
5:56 good pressuring but that last SH Fair was done too low.
6:00 retreating SH Zair/Brang instead of rolling backwards.
6:02 Zair with bombs.
6:04 Spotdodging is probably safer than rolling but try OoS SH Bair and OoS jumps too.
6:14 bad rolling habit. Platform bomb camp a bit here instead.
6:20 like earlier, SH bair so it platform pressures but don't jump up over the platform. Marth is strong below Link and Weak above Link.
6:28 another missed opportunity to pressure Marth's bad position for a grounded bomb pull.
6:34 reckless Dair. He's not even at KO %s. Get projectiles and Zair out rather than charging in hoping to hit with Dair.
6:40 you have an immediate ledge attack habit you're lucky he didn't punish.
6:51 slow to Nair from the SH. Bair's the better choice then FF>jab/Utilt.
6:54 bad grab timing.
6:56 Dair upward launches.

General:
It looks like you were rusty and not using the best choices and had to think about what to do too much.
Work on having range attacks and melee attacks flow together. Remember the tip of Link's reach guidelines: tip of Fair or Bair means that is the best option, there to the tip of Zair: Zair. Farther than Zair, projectiles. Don't space closer.
Work on stopping bad habits like rolling, ledge get up attacks and auto piloting.
Don't abandon attack strings when projectiles put Marth in a bad spot. Don't rush in without making an opening safely.
When in doubt, retreat and spam projectiles and Zair.

Hope that helps ;)

Scabe

Successful Businessman
Thanks heaps for the advice Rizen, I really like your idea of projectiling into Melee and just constantly mixing those two together. Hopefully I can develop a new style with these tips.

N.T.A.O ChangeOfHeart 死の剣

不自然な不道徳な中空デミ神〜
You Link brethren-s are so dedicated to helping each other out and poiningt out the obvious, but in a great manner. I freaken love your dedication and determination to pull forward with Link. I'm so happy I'm a Link main now! <3 Yoshi's amazing to, but Link is so fun!

Is there a social thread? And if anyone would like to brawl a free Link (he he) just let me know. You guys are the best! Keep up the great work! <3 Good day~

Zane the pure

Smash Ace
If any of you out there need recording for matches you'd like uploaded, just hit me with a PM and I'll see about getting them replays up for ya's

That goes to all of you Link players out there, so don't be shy. ^.^

Naroghin

Smash Ace
NNID
Naroghin
I'm clearly below your level so I won't go into such detail here as many of the others do, but I will say that I can certainly see you have a unique style. Specifically, I liked your use of the bomb to cover typically unsafe approaches, such as bomb>dacus or bomb>dair, not to mention your general technical facility with bomb techniques. I was a bit worried toward the beginning because we were seeing quite a bit of bomb self-damaging, but by halfway through the first match this was less prevalent, probably due to less lag and/or being warmed up. Also, I loved that little platform cancel show you gave at 6:55-6:59.

I think it's inspiring that you're not afraid to get up in Yoshi's face and smack him around, and you spaced many of your attacks well, but some of your tricks put you in a bad spot (whether they were mistakes or not) and some of your choices made me a bit confused, such as the jab cancel on shield at 9:25-9:27 (trying to apply shield pressure or punish early release, perhaps?) or the bomb tricks at 12:12-12:14 (mind games?). I don't think you should necessarily play more carefully; rather, I think you should continue to maximize on your ability to turn risky decisions into safe ones by covering them or transitioning to another idea before your opponent can capitalize on any openings left (which I already saw a lot of).

Overall I found the match very fun to watch, which I would take over a careful-campy Link any day (when it comes to watching, at least). I'm with Vermanubis when it comes to the sentiment that playing brawl (or other fighting games) should be more about expressing yourself in a satisfying way than winning matches. Winning matches should be a result of maximizing your natural expressions, however, so I think everyone has some junk in their gaming style or personality that should probably be at least checked and controlled, if not eliminated. I can see that integration and application of AT's and tricks to overwhelm and confuse your opponent is a large part of your style, so I would simply suggest that you refine this through weeding out some weird decisions and maximizing your ability to cover more risky decisions.

Catana

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Catanaa
Link vs Kirby

My Link looks false at beating a really bad Kirby. I had way worse moments than that, but I only saved these two.

I have worse stuff that will not be uploaded later on (to some that still find my failures enjoyable to watch). The other matches were TRASH like status (which is why they weren't saved of course).

Either way I'm circlejerking ATs without thinking and I plan to do more. Link is terrible. Thanks.
I have seen the videos you posted and other posts you made in other threads, and you encouraged me to create an account just so that I could tell you this. Be honoured.

This Kirby wasnt really good, and neither were you. There are many other Link players that have accomplished more than you could ever wish for. I wonder what year you are living in? I do not believe you belong in 2014.

You play dumb, you are dumb, you are the perfect example of what makes link players look bad, both in terms of your play and your behavior. All you do is throw out useless ATs and call yourself good, when as a matter of fact, you are nothing but a brainless auto-piloting moron. There are many links accross the world that could easily put you in your place without even trying.

There is nothing else that needs to be said, aside from the fact that you need to know your place and stop acting like you're one of the greatest link players, because you aren't. Please, learn to maintain control over your autism and stop posting.

(P.S. In case you didnt notice, I fixed your post for you)

Last edited:

FSK

Smash Ace
@ N.T.A.O ChangeOfHeart 死の剣 N.T.A.O ChangeOfHeart 死の剣

Just finished watching those vids and I'm laughing so hard. You must be a troll or the most delusional person I've ever seen. I hope for your own sake that the other vids are better. You really think you are good? When I look at your Link I think 2008 metagame Link+bombslides. You are playing on complete autopilot and its hilarious. Just because you spam tech does not make you good. You are not even close to as tech proficient as I was back in 2010 and that was for lulz. Because we as a Link community knew that techskill would not get you far against smart players. Link is a trash character and will never be close to mid-tier. That Kirby player was pretty bad even my pocket kirby looks heaps better. Stop being a scrub and respect your elders.

By the way if you don't know who Catana is, he is the top brawl Link in EU and probably the world as well at this moment.

Last edited:

不自然な不道徳な中空デミ神〜
I have seen the videos you posted and other posts you made in other threads, and you encouraged me to create an account just so that I could tell you this. Be honoured.

This Kirby wasnt really good, and neither were you. There are many other Link players that have accomplished more than you could ever wish for. I wonder what year you are living in? I do not believe you belong in 2014.

You play dumb, you are dumb, you are the perfect example of what makes link players look bad, both in terms of your play and your behavior. All you do is throw out useless ATs and call yourself good, when as a matter of fact, you are nothing but a brainless auto-piloting moron. There are many links accross the world that could easily put you in your place without even trying.

There is nothing else that needs to be said, aside from the fact that you need to know your place and stop acting like you're one of the greatest link players, because you aren't. Please, learn to maintain control over your autism and stop posting.

(P.S. In case you didnt notice, I fixed your post for you)
Well, I'll type this 'I'm not honoured' and I don't need others, you continue wow, you must really want to continue this. Here's what I'll do, you all play him and find out if you can beat him or not. If you can good for you if you can't (stop talking) because I know you wont win.

MESSAGE HIM: http://smashboards.com/members/phan7om.220790/

Stop trying to seem important and respond to something that's dead. Here, I'll just edit this since you want to start something.

I'M NOT HONORED. Thanks.

Last edited:

ZeWan

Smash Rookie
Someone linked me this thread, so I thought I'd take the opportunity to get some critique on my Link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8Kg--HTELk

First, I should clear up the situation with the name tags. I don't have a capture card, so my friend Zeffen uploaded this video for me and Snak, but we forgot to tell him that we switch name tags when fighting each other. I guess he assumed that I was the CF and Snak was the Link because of this, and he disappeared somewhere (he hasn't replied to my messages) so we can't change it. We like to switch name tags to try and confuse each other and sometimes it actually works. That's why the CF killed himself on his second stock (my friend confirmed this was due to different name tags hahah)

I know this video is quite old, but I've only recently started to pick up brawl again due to the new smash coming out soon. It's been 3-4 years since I last played competitive brawl, so my playstyle is pretty much the same as shown in the video. I'm aware Link has limited options against higher tier characters, but I am focusing on using him as a secondary for low tier tournaments. Therefore, I'd appreciate advice keeping in mind that I won't be fighting MKs, Diddys etc. As for the video, well I felt I played good in this match, but only lost due to a bull**** falcon punch. You can see that I play quite aggressive, but I'd like any advice and criticism on my approach. Thanks for reading, any comments will be greatly appreciated! :)

Phan7om

ドリームランドの悪夢
Leave me out of this, lmao.

Last edited:

不自然な不道徳な中空デミ神〜
Sigh...
Just disregard everything ChangeOHeart is saying about me. Those matches are definitely cringe-worthy, and I only uploaded because he wanted vids of his Link. Im sorry about all this stuff coh started up. You guys dont need to message me, just leave me out of this, lmao.
God just upload good matches in general towards how you play man. You sell yourself so short.

I don't use the word (bad) towards anyone, Rizen is just an exception and God awful annoying (if you really didn't want to listen towards what I was typing) then leave it alone (that's it). Also, he should of typed that we had WAY better moments (but I'm positive he doesn't want anything to be started with you guys and he didn't save them but these so there we go). You're right though, I'm irrelevant and bad I believe you man. And the boards have it all together.

So, Rizen just wants to be quiet and think I wont upload the matches then, mmk, we'll see who gets the last laugh.

Last edited:

不自然な不道徳な中空デミ神〜
Someone linked me this thread, so I thought I'd take the opportunity to get some critique on my Link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8Kg--HTELk

First, I should clear up the situation with the name tags. I don't have a capture card, so my friend Zeffen uploaded this video for me and Snak, but we forgot to tell him that we switch name tags when fighting each other. I guess he assumed that I was the CF and Snak was the Link because of this, and he disappeared somewhere (he hasn't replied to my messages) so we can't change it. We like to switch name tags to try and confuse each other and sometimes it actually works. That's why the CF killed himself on his second stock (my friend confirmed this was due to different name tags hahah)

I know this video is quite old, but I've only recently started to pick up brawl again due to the new smash coming out soon. It's been 3-4 years since I last played competitive brawl, so my playstyle is pretty much the same as shown in the video. I'm aware Link has limited options against higher tier characters, but I am focusing on using him as a secondary for low tier tournaments. Therefore, I'd appreciate advice keeping in mind that I won't be fighting MKs, Diddys etc. As for the video, well I felt I played good in this match, but only lost due to a bull**** falcon punch. You can see that I play quite aggressive, but I'd like any advice and criticism on my approach. Thanks for reading, any comments will be greatly appreciated! :)
Your Link looks fine and good work man. Wait for the others to help you out. I am not reliable one bit sit tight and wait for the rest to show. Thanks.

Last edited:
Top Bottom