• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Hey! Watch out!" Link Video & Critique Thread

Rizen

Smash Legend
Updated :)

I'm moving dittos to their own place, which I should have done from the start.

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
You definitely should go through and give all the videos a uniform format without the random "1v1s:" and "WiFi:"s hanging around.

I'm not complaining, because I appreciate you doing this, but it would help viewers a lot (including me).

Rizen

Smash Legend
Added Bomber's vids.
Technically, I'm only allowed to post vids with Link btw.

Gee, I wish Red Ryu, Scabe and X would post some replays ;)

Scabe

Successful Businessman
I'd have to get the replay codes again on my SD card, and then maybe send replays that I save to you so you can record it? Would that be cool?

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
I'd have to get the replay codes again on my SD card, and then maybe send replays that I save to you so you can record it? Would that be cool?
You can always send them to me, too, and I'll send them back to you. I already know you don't need to have the infinite replay code or anything else for it to still load on my wii. Believe me, I have the time and I'd love to help :D

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
Dubz matches streamed from Salt Fest regional:

w/ Uruboros (Jiggly) vs. Ken Neth (Snake) & Yaz (Wario/MK)
http://www.twitch.tv/aisight/b/402413649 (starting at 36:15)

w/ Uruboros (Jiggly/Yoshi) vs. Tane (Pikachu) & Rockmix (Ness/DK)
http://www.twitch.tv/aisight/b/402402008 (starting at 3:08--probably my favorite part of the thing is the first thing the commentator says)

I feel like there are some shining moments, such as 43:30 vs Ken Neth/Yaz (followed up by an indecisive run>shield>attempted jab...lol).

I'm glad to have the opportunity to have people commentate while I'm playing. It's definitely a landmark moment for me.

We ended up getting 5th of 15 in dubz and Idk what I got in singles yet.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Heeeey you guys should totally post some videos sometime

Critique the vs Pit and the versus Snake matches :)
vs Pit http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abClALMBbLw&feature=player_detailpage#t=219s

3:47 good slight retreat>Bair
3:48 Jab fast and cancel but don't delay jabs. Opponents can interrupt in between Link's slow jabs :[
3:57 you missed a good opportunity to chain Bair into Utilt
4:05 too close for boomerang but Zair would have been perfect.
4:19 good spacing for jab cancel>Fsmash
4:43 You have good Bairs but keep in mind, Link takes 7 frames to jump and 5 more to Bair. Sometimes like here Utilt and Usmash are better.
4:53 bad Ftilt. It starts frame 14 and is punishable. Jab's much better there.
5:03 Bad Dair of course. Nair instead.
5:05-08 use all 3 projectiles and be less direct with bombs. Bomb pull animation ends frame 40 so they're slow to spam alone but Link can hold them for quick throws (frame 5 or 6, not sure) and bomb ATs with almost no lag.
5:16 sadly spin attacks are bad moves. Only Spin to punish obvious lag or dodges when the opponent can't shield. Jab cancel>Dsmash is 3 frames faster to start.
5:19-22 good Fair walls.
5:24 DI out of Angle Ring and bomb Fsmash. If you're not ready to do that, bomb Zair.
5:37 DI in and recover faster, you could have not gone as far. Pit could have aggressively intercepted. Cover with projectiles too.
5:42 good quick tether.
5:45 <3 Link's spotdodge.
5:54 when DIing out in the air cover Link with Zair as you land.
5:55 whiplash these
6:13 Pit's Uair is good and makes Dair's risky (or Nair in this case) but it was too risky to hit him at 37% anyway. If he'd read you he could have had an easy kill. Dair doesn't chain into other attacks and pit would have escaped the ledge trap.
6:24 shield>OoS spin attack would have literally covered all Pit's options since he couldn't roll away.
6:27 Link's interruptable jabs :[ Don't push your Luck with jabs, they're not spam-able like Marth's Dtilt.
6:29 risky bomb pull.
6:31 for reference, Link can phantom boomerang from the right tree root to get opponents out of the left side. Wolf can scar either way too.

Good work :)

General
Be faster with projectiles and use them together. You out played that Pit but he gave you a lot of room to breathe. Link needs to use all his projectiles to spam fast enough to keep up.

Ftilts are easy to dodge and start frame 14. Use them as reads but not approaches.

Zair more, and spam from slightly farther, faster and less direct. Work in Bomb Zairs/Fsmashes.

Don't Bair when the opponent can be immediately hit by Utilt.

Really good stuff, fine tune a few things and spam projectile faster.

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
Rizen, I've decided to reorganize my videos to help make it look clean. You ought to revise the format, though--I don't understand what any of it is.

Ano​

Singles

Bowser

DK

Ken Neth
5/18/13 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvBrmKT3TS8#t=04m56s

Fox

Ken Neth
5/18/13 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvBrmKT3TS8#t=02m38s

Marth

Ness

Olimar

Peach

Pit

Jigglypuff

Snake

Sonic

Yoshi

Ben
4/26/13 (Tournament) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGHtFiXOIaA#t=02m08s
4/26/13 (Friendlies) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbtUklq4wIk

Dittos

Doubles

Singles

Doubles

Link dubz versus Da Star http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1_F6KW25Kc
Link dubz versus West's Team http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uj8pvJgBW-I
Link dubz versus Slay-BlayZ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3GITzVhlV0

Irisz

The Wanderer
NNID
QnIrisZ
3DS FC
4871-4459-0233
Ohai guys c:
I posted here a bit ago I think ... but anyways, found out that someone actually recorded one of my matches

So can any of you guys help critique this plz? <3
This is an offline match

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVvon8nrPpk

I admit - first game was sorta crap on my end and I went somewhat flashy in my 2nd/last game
But I tried :')
I'm the asian dude in the black hoodie/red headphones if anyone wanted to know :p

Thanks in advance

Rizen

Smash Legend
@Ano that's helpful because I'm adding a lot of good Link videos- not a complaint but most are just cut and paste from what people post. I'm trying to have it organized by player>MU>opponent but it's hard to keep nice looking lol.
Ohai guys c:

So can any of you guys help critique this plz? <3
This is an offline match

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVvon8nrPpk

I admit - first game was sorta crap on my end and I went somewhat flashy in my 2nd/last game
But I tried :')
Start-0:13 Lot of mistakes here. Don't double jump because it's best to save and if pika Naired you offstage you would not have had a jump to return with. Bomb pulls are about 40 frames and not fast but the actual throwing is fast (6 frames, maybe) and bombs are great to have out. You need to use the threat of holding a bomb and use all 3 projectiles to spam quickly. Throwing bombs down with little chance of hitting wastes a lot of time when Link should be getting camping momentum (getting projectiles onscreen).
0:13 you covered Link with a bomb and hit with the boomerang, this is better.
0:16 good use of throwing a bomb down>FF Nair>Utilt. Link has a good FF (Fast Fall) and landing game which you used here. try to land behind the opponent.
0:18 Fsmash doesn't cover Link's body, only in front of him. Use it from far away. Platform drop>Nair>maybe Utilt would have been better.
0:21 Link can't spam fast but he can get 3 projectiles out at once to make up for it. Each projectile (bombs, boomerang, arrows) needs to aid Link's spacing by creating traps, launching or stunning the opponent or allowing Link to safely use another attack. Throwing bombs down needs to have a chance of hitting or it wastes a lot of time.
0:24 good use of tethering the ledge.
0:27 Pika was across the stage, instead of dropping the bomb FF>throw it at pika. Bombs will pass through and stop pika's jolts.
0:35 good bomb down throw>Nair. Use these when Pika's under you but not when pika's too far to hit.
0:40 :( Link does leave the ledge for a very short time when Zair edge hogging. Press down to cancel tethers (but not the attacking Zairs) and double jump>upB. This was a weird occurrence. be as fast as possible when tether edge hogging: tap away from the ledge>Z>Z.
0:45 good use of holding a bomb and Zairing. Keep in mind bombs will beat almost EVERY attack in the game; only Pika's shield, catches and thunder downB stop them. Holding a bomb means Link has a frame 6 throwing item that stops all Pika's actions besides those- they are great to threaten opponents.
0:51 good shield>grab. Link has a defensive grab and you used it right :)
0:55-1:00 all your projectiles missed mostly by falling short. This means you were spacing too far or didn't charge the arrow enough. Projectiles need to be able to hit.
1:04 be careful, upB will not grab the ledge at it's start; tether or normal ledge grab or delay upB. If Pika had Fsmashed and intercepted you would have died. Good DI vs Pika's jabs.
1:10 throw the bomb at pika here. Bombs are incredible versatile but that doesn't mean they can't be used directly if it's the best option.
1:13ish in times like this jabs can be quick to stop rushes. Nair FF>jab is a good chain breaker when Pika juggles.
1:18 shield grab here.
1:25 good strat throwing the bomb up but I'm guessing throwing the 2nd bomb away was a mistake.
1:32 boomerang throws are slow too. I'm guessing throwing that away from Pika was a mistake too.
1:35 Link's ground Spin attack is bad in Brawl :(, only use to to punish lag from dodges like rolls/spotdodges and landings. Shield gab would have connected.
1:37 Dair to momentum cancel upward launches like this. If you do Bair, don't Dair after; it won't help then.
1:40 good work getting the bomb out. Airdodge>tether the ledge with a bomb in hand.
1:47 flashy but like the announcer said, very risky and punishable. DAC (sometimes called DACUS depending on what character you use) is not safe vs ground opponents and generally only good to quickly pressure opponents returning to the stage from above. It's not an approach.
1:53-1:56 notice how quickly Link attacked there? Zair>bomb down throw>bair. That's because you used Link's FF and landing game to reduce lag. Link should space by SHing (Short Hopping) but he needs to stay near the ground or a platform. Earlier when you double jumped it added a lot of lag and risk because you didn't use Link's landing game.
1:57 forward bomb throws will eat jolts like those.
2:02 Pika also has a forward walk CG on Link that goes to higher %s. Mashing 'A' to Nair is a good way to stop followups.
2:09 you like to throw bombs down but that was another forward throw spacing.
2:10-2:14 good job using arrows and bombs together here.
2:19 risky Dair :/ Dair is overkill at this point anyway. Dsmash/Utilt/Ftilt/Fair 2nd cut/Fsmash probably would have Killed pika.
2:21 nice chain breaking Nair.
2:30 instead of rolling away you can SH Bair or Utilt. Or walk a few steps and Fsmash backward.
2:31 boomerang>arrow (maybe very slightly charged in this case) would have arrow locked pika and he would be forced to stage without rolling or attacking. This means you get a free smash.
2:35 Nair would have stopped the follow up. you can also 2nd jump to mix it up.
2:40-2:44 good projectile and Zair use try to play fast like this more.
2:51 Uthrow Kill more around 180%+ if the opponent knows how to DI and momentum cancel.
2:56 this bomb down throw>catch is fancy but not practical at all. Maybe instead Z drop bomb> FF and it will fall in front of Link as he lands.
2:59 this is when you should throw the bomb down.
3:03 this is when you should catch the bomb with Nair and FF.
3:09 press shield just before landing to tech and avoid locks.

General:
Use projectile together to limit and trap the opponent.

Use the right bomb action for the spacing. If Pika won't be hit by a down bomb, don't throw it then. Say pika's approaching, if you're holding a bomb it means Link has a frame 6 attack that beats everything pika has except shield and catches. If pika jolts and you throw the bomb at him it will eat the jolt and hit pika's lag. If pika quick attacks, bombs beat it, etc.

Space attacks to hit! Link should space with the tip of his reach but not farther either. If an attack falls short it means Link just has lag and he's already not very mobile.

Learn and practice KO setups and spacing. A lot of what Link does is frame trap with his long reach. Dsmash starts frame 6, Utilt frame & and both are good KO moves. Bomb footstools, arrow locks, jab locks, jab cancel>Dsmash are good setups that start fast. Link has a large variety of moves that can KO.

I made a guide that might help :smirk:
http://www.smashboards.com/threads/unbreakable-spirit-using-link-in-brawl.325062/
(some of the pictures of hitbubbles were removed by the uploader so use this: http://smashboards.com/threads/links-hitbubbles-includes-video-and-gallery.274560/ )

Link is EXTREMELY hard to use right. IMO he's THE hardest character in the game to play properly. He doesn't have a set camping pattern and must adapt constantly as the game goes on.
The best thing you can do is recognize the right attacks for the right spacing (which is best explained in 'Tip of attack spacing' section of my guide)

You can judge the tip hitbubble for all Link’s sword swings visually by hitting with the sky blue energy streak area. That's what to space to hit with.

Practice so using the best spacing option happens 'instinctively'. Link takes a TON of practice and he's still bad :/
Pika's a -2 MU but you should be able to at least take a stock or 2 off him if not win.

'Hope that helps ;)

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
The best part is that if you check the old spoiler tag with my videos in it, at least 1/4th of them were you vs Kotier.

Rizen

Smash Legend
^I've added 249 new videos since I took over the thread. This was during the site's server transition and the editing features still have much to be desired. It's not easy juggling all that info from several different submitters with their own formats in one post when the site's having problems. I've been critiquing too.

Link me to another active video thread with a more attentive person running it and I'll copy their style :troll:

Joking aside, I edited and added your videos from the above post. That was helpful :)

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
^I've added 249 new videos since I took over the thread. This was during the site's server transition and the editing features still have much to be desired. It's not easy juggling all that info from several different submitters with their own formats in one post when the site's having problems. I've been critiquing too.

Link me to another active video thread with a more attentive person running it and I'll copy their style :troll:

Joking aside, I edited and added your videos from the above post. That was helpful :)
That wasn't joking, that was black mailing me. You want me to run the thread? I can do it, and better than you too.

Rizen, you're awesome. Thanks for running the thread. It is slightly irritating that you didn't sort the videos correctly, but I'm right in the same place as you are. I'm supposed to be running two tournaments, moderating another (very active) forum, acting in two officer positions in a club, not to mention other issues I'm dealing with right now. Rather than use that irritation to critique you, I went ahead and used it to motivate myself to clean up the post--thereby taking some weight off of your shoulders. I'm happy to do a little clean up work to help supplement your work. I'll go ahead and look through the other video links in my spare time to make sure they're all clean and organized too.

Edit: The spoiler tags need to be changed in my videos. Maybe remove a level of spoiler tags from offline/online? I'll get to it myself later. Assignment due in two hours that I need to finish ahhhhhhh

Irisz

The Wanderer
NNID
QnIrisZ
3DS FC
4871-4459-0233
Blob of critique

Thanks! Admittedly this was one of the first times I've played Pika, so I never knew bombs played so well against them
The video also includes Game 2, which I wanted someone to critique >.<
If you can, can you crit that also please?

Oddly enough, after this match I did read your guide
I'm well aware of my smash terms also

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
I'll review your videos if you promise you will stay on the Link forum for at least one month. Can I get a deal on this?

vs Kirby:

OVERVIEW: Maneuvering by jumping, running and walking is more powerful in Smash Bros. than rolls are. It will bump up your skill level the most significantly of everything :D
Incorporate jump->dthrow bomb->FF aerial into your gameplay more. It's Link's best frame trap and leads to things like jab lock setups (which can lead to guaranteed KO setups at higher percentages).

At the start, you used a lot of zair. It's...not very good versus Kirby. He's just to short to get hit unless he hops--you need to force him to jump into it (frame trap). It's especially bad at higher percentages because he
0:23 The fact that you didn't punish Kirby upon escaping the grab tells me you don't have a lot of game experience. You'll catch on to opportunities to punish--like this one--with time :D Oh, I like the read on the roll, but use something with less lag at the end (when your opponent is at lower %s) like dsmash or utilt.
0:34 AND DON'T TRY TO PREDICT KIRBY WITH DAIRS KIRBY CAUSE HE CAN PUNISH SO HARD WITH THAT FSMASH GRAAAAAAAH But he let you get back to the stage. What a gentleman :)
He doesn't seem to be a very skilled player. Great traps to use against him when he's turtling in place on the ground with hammers, Upbs and such is to jump over him, throw a bomb down at him, and then fastfall nair. Will usually catch players by surprise and is unpunishable if you time it so that you land behind them.
0:58 Nice job reading his spacing and fastfalling back to the ground.
1:15 Good dash attack (especially because it was safe--he would've gotten pushed off the edge if he'd shielded). Shorthop fair is a much better follow up option after dash attacks than upsmash because of the up-and-forwards trajectory of the hit and because upsmash has a lag at the end of it--as you discovered.
1:22 Good read on the uair :D
1:50 Lots of rolling. Use a lot of dashing and jumping instead to maneuver into a better position than your opponent. Less rolling makes for better playing :D
2:22 Grab out of Kirby's downb generally isn't safe because you can't grab him when he transforms out of it (because he goes temporarily airborne). Try to time a fsmash, dair, upB...something else instead.
2:27 Good jab cancel. Let you reposition yourself in time to pressure Kirby's recovery. Good habit to get into.
But you bombpulled out of it when you could have done an attack nooooooooo
2:55 Dsmash is a much safer option when pulling people with the boomerang because the opponent can escape behind you if you misjudge the distance on your fsmash (which has good coverage in front of you but it's got terrible coverage of Link's body/behind him).
2:57 Good use of the bomb. Time your bomb throws to catch opponent's during their landings (because there are at least 2-4 frames of vulnerability there for every character, regardless of whether they airdodge or not). That's also a great time to rush in and follow up rather than continue to spam.
3:10 You got the Kirby with the second swing of your fsmash, but note that the first swing has a lot less cooldown lag than the second swing--which means Kirby is less likely to be able to fsmash you out of it for an early gimp if he shields your swings. Remember that for future games.
3:30 Utilt is always a safer, more powerful option than upsmash, so learn to use that instead.
Aaaaand personally I dislike DACs. The spacing is always so erratic. It's flashy but don't use it (probably ever imo).
5:00 Dsmash is really really good for punishing rolls...always use that instead of fsmash ^_^
5:10 See about the second hit of fsmash? If he'd fsmashed the right way you would have been gimped. Had you only used the first fsmash hit, you would've been able to jump out of the way in time (hypothetically saying he would have actually fsmashed the right way lol)
5:17 again use dsmash instead of fsmash to punish the roll
5:18 AND THAT IS WHAT I'M SAYING ABOUT THROWING BOMBS DOWN BELOW YOU. It's probably Link's best frame trap in the entire game because of how quick his fastfall is (means he can punish literally every time the bomb connects with the opponent). Really make that more central to your gameplay, combining it with z-drop bombing out of air dodges.

Ok, I evaluated one of your matches anyways but STAY ON THE BOARDS PLEAAASE and I'll evaluate the rest :D

-CodeX-

Smash Rookie
Hah! I didn't think I'd be bribed to stay around! Very well. I'll play your game. I'm just not sure where and what to post, perhaps you can guide me a bit?

I must confess though, that I have gotten a little bit better since those matches, your critique is still incredibly valuable though. I'll especially work on incorporating the up tilt more often, I'm working on tilts in general anyway. I'm not sure how different it is now from then but people (good players) have said that I am very good at using bombs, even though I am way below their level in the rest of my game, and I am glad that you too would comment on my bombs. I am working hard to become good, and hearing such things just makes me work harder!

I'll try to stay on the boards though. Now I shall watch my video and carefully analyse your comments! Thanks again.

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
Hah! I didn't think I'd be bribed to stay around! Very well. I'll play your game. I'm just not sure where and what to post, perhaps you can guide me a bit?

I must confess though, that I have gotten a little bit better since those matches, your critique is still incredibly valuable though. I'll especially work on incorporating the up tilt more often, I'm working on tilts in general anyway. I'm not sure how different it is now from then but people (good players) have said that I am very good at using bombs, even though I am way below their level in the rest of my game, and I am glad that you too would comment on my bombs. I am working hard to become good, and hearing such things just makes me work harder!

I'll try to stay on the boards though. Now I shall watch my video and carefully analyse your comments! Thanks again.
I'm not going to lie, it amuses me to hear almost every single new person I've ever critiqued say "I've gotten better since then anyways." Why did you post the videos then? :laugh:

Own it up! You aren't as good as your pride made you feel! We've all got to be broken down. When we're broken down by better players we see our flaws with clearer eyes. Then you can work on improving them. You've got a lot of work to do, but I've suggested the basics. If you're better now, post matches from now! Otherwise the critique will be less helpful than you need it to be. I'd love to help critique on more advanced strategies, but I need to see you playing at your best--or at least your "now"--first.

Posting more videos so you can get your "playing at my best critique"--should be enough motivation to stick around on the boards, lol!

In any case, are you involved on any other smash websites? In terms of Smashboards, post in the Lazy Link's Lurking Lounge, compete in WiFi tournaments (whenever I'm doing them), set up matches with other Link players to give ideas on where and how you can improve. Xav1er is a great WiFi player, as well as Rizen (although I always have bad connections with Rizen for some reason; not sure how it is for everyone else).

As much as others complain about AllisBrawl, they've got an online ladder that is very helpful. Sure, lag abuse is a bust, but when you're trying to get a wide variety of Match-Up experience, there's really not much better besides offline tourney experience. So attend both.

Oh, and Smashboards is a great place to hook up with others from your region of the world. Tournaments are posted on a regular basis and smashfest get-togethers are frequently announced in the region forums. Find your state/province's thread and check it out.

-CodeX-

Smash Rookie
Okay, so I really went through your analysis now, first off I just really want to thank you for actually doing it. I'll try to think about how I can maneuver without rolling to much, also throwing bombs down from the air won't be a problem, I like bombs!

About Kirby being short and all that, I generally don't like fighting short characters, but of course, I should think about being sparse with the zair against them. I do have some experience, but I haven't been playing seriously for that long. I do miss a lot of punishes, I guess it's just one of those things you learn. I also have a tendency to dair when I feel pressured, I'm trying hard not to dair at inappropriate times, but I'm getting better at dairing nicely. I tend to use upsmash a lot, as you can see, even when it's not appropriate, I'll try considering short hop fairing. As you say, trying to grab kirbys downb has failed me several times, I'll try to deal with it in other ways. Dsmashing after pulling is of course the better option as you say. And basically what you're saying about the fsmash is that I shouldn't go through with the second one as often as I do?

Nice comments, I think by reading them I am realizing that I very much need to become more aware of what I'm doing. And I'll work on the maneuvering and bombing, after all, I love bombs!

-CodeX-

Smash Rookie
Ha! Well, I didn't mean the "I'm better now" to such an extreme, those videos were merely months ago, and the difference is slight at best.
The reason that I posted these is that these are the only ones I can post at the moment, since I lack the equipment to post my own matches (I have to rely on some people I play with)

SWEET! ANOTHER LINK PLAYER!
Also yes, indeed. It is nice to be so appreciated, I guess.

Rizen

Smash Legend
^It takes a long time to write those up. The only other board I know of that critiques is Zelda. We try to help as much as possible but we can only do so much. I'll try to work it in but there's no guarantees. Be happy you got one critique; they're very hard to get for most characters this late in Brawl's lifespan. :[

Bomber7

Smash Hero
I guess I could dig out my old N64. Why is it that this would help so much? I'm not questioning it, I'm curious.
From what I've found, playing Link in Smash 64 (at least competitively like I do now), you are forced to learn how to play on a higher level and a lot of fundamentals from 64, I have been able to carry over to Brawl and it's helped me improve my game greatly (at least my TL game since I main him). You learn how to space to near perfection, you learn how to mix things up with items, you learn stage control, you also learn how to get into a flow/rhythm that allows you to keep people away but give you the opportunity (or create the opportunity) to strike, and many other Link essentials on a much higher level because Smash 64 is a kill or be killed game. Link is the King of Combos in that game, but all the king of being comboed. His recovery is also the worst of all three games in 64, so you pretty much have to learn stage control ha ha.

Go look at my channel, not all my link videos are the best because I was just starting out, but the more recent ones show a little of what I mean.

I'd highly recommend to any person who plays any form of Link to pick up Smash 64 competitively to quickly learn some fundamentals on a higher level.

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
^Because he's the Smash64 fanatic here ha ha
Note that he also doesn't play Brawl xD

And there goes the rest of my video not critiqued ~
<.<

Rizen's right though, it usually takes 45 mins - 1 hr per match to write up. But I'll critique it.

I'm going to be basing my critique off of Rizen's, so
0:05 Note that Pika's sweetspot nair would NOT have knocked you far enough away to be not be able to recover back on stage. It's not that strong Rizen <.<
0:15 Was a good combo and it is what I'm trying to tell Codex about jump dthrow bombs. It's a great trap and clearly something you like...too much lol. Don't spam them when the opponent isn't under you or expect good opponents to use that time to set up on you. Agree with Rizen about the fsmash deal as well. Dsmash or utilt would've been better (Yes, two utilts)
0:20 See how Pika just walked out of the way when you dthrew? He moved to a great punishing position. Try and dthrow when you are lower (so the opponent cannot react in time; and use dthrow less. You guys clearly have some experience playing each other and this is one of his exploits of your weakness of too much dthrow.
0:30 But the z drop FF fair cover was too good! I think it was a safer option than what Rizen was suggesting. Pika can literally run underneath Link's fthrow at close range and punish him.
0:35 Wasn't that a bair? You're clearly very familiar with dthrow->FF aerial punishes. Loving it, just make sure you don't do it too much or you get read. Codex, you should watch this.
0:40 That's what I hate about tether edgehogs. I can't tell you how many times that's happened to me.
0:43 I liked the zair spacing >.>
1:04 WOW great SDI. Into upsmash for some good damage racking nonetheless. I can't SDI worth my life lol (Like KotierWolf getting 40% jab cancel->jab cancel combos on me on WiFi lol)
1:14 I really like how you're trying to use zair here. Need to get more familiar with the timing though, you messed those up (not blaming you though, it's tough to get right)
1:34 Gaaah the UpB when he wasn't behind youuuuu
1:36 BUT THE DI OH SNAP
1:42 EXCELLENT use of bair, too bad you held left for too long and went back off the edge, that could've been an utilt KO :(
1:46 That DAC, man, I just think it's the most hindering gimmick in Link's game. Strongly suggest you never use it.
1:53 That was a cute bomb/jumping combo there, but that Pika pretty much just stood in place through the entire thing to eat that bomb at the end. Note that this will become a less and less effective strategy to spam versus opponents the higher level of play you get to.
1:55 Bomb throw would've gone through those tjolts. Pretty much what Rizen talked about. Bomb priority too good.
1:59 Nair would've been a better choice to FF but don't blame you. Fast decision making.
2:01 That SDI man, you almost got a nair out on Pika before he could grab you.
2:13 Generally good projectile spam.
2:17 Why did you roll noooooooo--Had you SHed instead you would've been in a great position to punish Pika's approach. This Pika is rashly aggressive, and you've generally done well to punish that with your bomb/FF game. Again, just be aware that this won't work versus more experienced, less aggressive players.
2:18 AND WHY DID HE NAIR HA HA HA HA HA HA wheeeew this pika player
2:23 AND HE GOT HIT BY THE BOMB HA HA HA HA
2:27 Good z drop shield, wish you could've retreated in the air as you did it, that likely would've provided an opening to punish him with.
2:32 I like the fair FF, but work on timing it so that at least one of the hits will swing right before Link lands. You're not covering a big gap between you and the ground
Although he just waited out your jab anyway hmmmm
2:57 Should've just bombthrew from the ground, you knew a mile away Pika was going to downB and jumping pretty much ensured that you would not punish his thunder.
3:02 There we go! See how nair was a better option to FF? Your fair wouldn't have hit him with the timing and angle of his approach.
3:07 WHAT he actually pulled that off loool but he's so bad the rest of the match ha ha ha ha

So, you've got good gameplay. You know a lot of ATs and can pull them off fairly well, but I think in practicing those you've sacrificed a lot of safe gameplay for flashiness. You could have totally beat that Pikachu that first round with a little more reading, safer options and not having a very unfortunate gimp. I'd recommend practicing essentials (spacing, covering options, etc) so that you can have a fundamentals game that is up to par with your AT game. I feel that's the only reason that you lost that match. You didn't work very well, and you clearly can play well enough to win.

Again, I saw that bomb-> footstool at the beginning of the match, you're a skilled player. Just get the fundamentals down pat so that both ATs and fundamentals can supplement each other.
5:12 AND DON'T DAIR WHEN THE OPPONENT IS BELOW 75% dkadkdhgklalkhd why do so many people do that
EDIT: How you played starting around 7:10ish is where I think you're playing your best, you seem to stop worrying so much about the ATs and start really using fundamental techniques, so look at that section and see what you can't incorporate into the rest of your game.

I'd suggest trying to turn all those FF fairs into FF nairs unless you expect the opponent to SH at you. Otherwise nair is a safer option in case they DO try to run underneath your aerial to punish you
Unless you can get the fair timing down, because you NEED to cover that ground approach they can take.

EDIT OF DESTINY

Codex vs Toon Link match:

0:09 Fastfalling the nair would've led to a follow-up uptilt. FFs are so good :D
0:17 I like how you patiently waited for the opportunity to fair him. You do a good job observing and reading opponents.
:22 Again, you played it very patiently with your fsmash edgeguarding. Looks like a real strength that you have.
:30 You seem to start struggling versus Toon Link's spam game. No worries, it's something you just have to learn through experience.
1:13 Once again, good observing and punishing. You did a great job with the jab cancel into upsmash. As I've mentioned before though, utilt is a better option than upsmash when opponents aren't literally touching Link because they can DI to away from Link to escape and avoid the final hit (like what happened). Just practice :)
1:27 SPOTDODGE BATTLE YEAAAAAH
1:31 I'm noticing that you double-jump a lot. During that aerial time you should throw a boomerang down towards Toon Link. Remember, one of Link's big strengths is his projectile spam game. Force the Toon Link to keep on his toes as he tries to spam you--Toon Link has some good set-ups he can use on Link (like at 1:40: zair->bomb throw->upsmash)
1:45 Instead of walking at Toon Link, you should've charged an arrow or thrown a boomerang. Link can counter TL's spam game :)
1:49 Useful strategy when TL throws a boomerang straight at you like that--you can full hop over the boomerang while moving towards TL, fastfall as soon as you are past the boomerang. This can set up for dash attacks (dash out of landing), jump-> down-angled boomerang, FHFF nair, etc. You can punish throws like that really hard :D But don't double jump over it. One will do
1:52 Once again, good read and punish with the shield->upB.
1:58 You have a good spam game here with the bombs. Try throwing a boomerang or two interspersed with the bombs as well. As a note, throwing bombs to catch opponents when they are landing is one of the best ways Link can use his bombs, which you did when he landed out of an arrow. He managed to shield in time, but it does throw them off for a second.
2:05 Good read on the bomb throw. Remember that fsmash doesn't cover Link's body very well--utilt is a terrific option here, and it can lead to an utilt->utilt->usmash combo at low percentages like this. :D
2:07 Good job moving away from TL as you pulled out a bomb. That's how you should always do it :D
2:36 Ledge jump into a fastfalled aerial would've been a good option. Airdodging leaves you very vulnerable unfortunately :(
2:55 You can get a guaranteed bair (back aerial) out of Toon Link's utilt and his dthrow at low percents--which leads to a guaranteed utilt of your own. It's nice to know :D
3:00 Good punish on TL's dair. TLs should never spam it because they will get punished very hard.
3:13 FF nair would've been better than bair.
3:18 Good boomerang throw. That's the kind of throw you should do often versus Toon Link--it interrupts his spam game and is very hard for him to punish (assuming you don't land right in front of him).
3:40 Again, TLs shouldn't spam dairs like this. But so long as he is you can punish him for it >:3

I can tell you're at least fairly new in the scene, practice and experience will help you improve a lot :D It's good that you have the opportunity to play IRL with others often, that will contribute greatly to speedy improvement for you.

Irisz

The Wanderer
NNID
QnIrisZ
3DS FC
4871-4459-0233
^It takes a long time to write those up. The only other board I know of that critiques is Zelda. We try to help as much as possible but we can only do so much. I'll try to work it in but there's no guarantees. Be happy you got one critique; they're very hard to get for most characters this late in Brawl's lifespan. :[
Didn't mean it like that :C
I would have just thought you would have watched the whole vid, that's all
Dw, I appreciate everything greatly <3
I'm also yearning for critique because I'm setting up a tourney in my area soon and I feel I need to step it up a bit

more critique
Yea I got a bit flashy cuz idk why
But thanks for the critique. Much appreciated
I felt I did better this match as well, except for some awkward unneeded moves in some areas

Thing is, there should be 2 games in that video no? O_O
I also wanted THAT one critiqued if you guys had the time S:
Thanks in advance

-CodeX-

Smash Rookie
Thanks again Anonano for reviewing! It seems from reading your review that the things I should work on the most are up-tilting and fast fall nairs. I'll also try to think about not doing idle double jumps, and moving away when pulling bombs. I am indeed fairly new, so your critique is helping me a lot on how to improve, and as you say, experience is key.

Thank you again! I'll be patiently waiting for my last review, and hopefully I can get some new matches put up soon!

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
*Waits 28 days to post final review*

Fufufufufufufu

v Y u no main Link D:

Bomber7

Smash Hero
@Anonano- I do so play Brawl. Link is just my for fun character, while Toon Link is my main. 64 is basically how I practice for Brawl. I also play project M. Link too good in Project M. :D

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
Wrote a post about Codex' vs Samus match--then computer gave me the blue screen of death.

D:

So the tl;dr version is:
You played like much better during your Samus match than during your TL match. Keep calm when you play and don't try to throw out desperate fsmashes to catch your opponents (the problem in your TL match). Don't roll behind Samus (her bair gimps or outright kills Link). You can FF past Samus' projectiles to put the opponent in a disadvantageous position if they remain in the air.
Dsmash after perfect shields to punish the opponent.
You had much better evasiveness and up-close gameplay this match. I loved the jab cancel mindgames. It looks like you've got a knack for up-close gameplay, with some work (don't charge usmashes to punish opponents-use utilt instead of fsmash, etc).

Good work :cyclops:

Top Bottom