• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Heroes Draw Near. Command? (Hero Social Thread)

Not counting newcomers/echoes, which kind of DQ content would you like in future Smash games?

• Assist throphies (i.e. Slime/Slime Family, Golems, Killer Machines, Party Members)

Votes: 22 51.2%
  • Mii costumes (Alena, Torneko, Yangus, Priest)

Votes: 8 18.6%
  • Stages to show more DQ worlds

Votes: 10 23.3%
  • New tracks and arrangements

Votes: 22 51.2%
  • A boss (i.e. Dragonlord, Estark, Bjørn)

Votes: 9 20.9%
  • More Hero Alts (either male or female)

Votes: 17 39.5%
  • More cameos

Votes: 4 9.3%
  • Items (Chimera wing for example)

Votes: 4 9.3%

• Total voters

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
What is your favorite hero of those who are. Mine that of DQ8 8 (Eight)
Out of the main games i've only really played DQ8 so Guv is naturally my choice. That might change depending on how much i end up enjoying DQ11.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
Arusu / Erdrick and Eight are my favorites. I think Solo's design is okay and I haven't played Eleven's game yet.

I wanted to like Arusu / Erdrick's purple color since it's a reference to Madason, the Dragon Quest V protagonist (my favorite Dragon Quest game and my favorite protagonist design), but the flesh-colored sleeves that are meant to replicate Madason's bare arms and legs looked off-putting to me after a while, so I stopped using it, which is a shame.

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
What the heck happened to the Erdrick thread it turned into a heated debate lmao

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
What the heck happened to the Erdrick thread it turned into a heated debate lmao
Nothing happened to it; I explained in the last post that since there's a Hero social thread, it would make more sense for the discussion to be moved here as opposed to being spread out over four topics that cover the exact same thing.

Klimax

Smash Ace
We finally have a sword fighter that is not a huge pile of generic ****. Hero is by far one of the funniest and most interesting character to play in Smash Bros. They put a lot of love into him and it shows. He's fun to play, actually balanced (if you can't avoid a full charged side B, get good, you are the problem) and has a high skill cap. More characters like him, please. And people saying that Hero is generic because of his name are idiots (then, Link is also generic).

A ****ing great character, nothing else to say. And I didn't even want him in the first place but they did a terrific job with him.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
So I decided to play through the Erdrick trilogy because I’m thinking about getting DQXIS, and I’m having fun with the first game, but I’m in a bit of a rut.

So I have Erdrick’s Sword and Armor, and just hit Level 21, but I don’t feel confident to take on the Dragonlord. What level is it recommended I should be to take this sucker on and save Alefgard?

Last edited:

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
So I decided to play through the Erdrick trilogy because I’m thinking about getting DQXIS, and I’m having fun with the first game, but I’m in a bit of a rut.

So I have Erdrick’s Sword and Armor, and just hit Level 21, but I don’t feel confident to take on the Dragonlord. What level is it recommended I should be to take this sucker on and save Alefgard?
You're more than okay, just do whatever you can to avoid using magic too much before facing him to have enough for healing.

If you're stuck, then two or three more levels couldn't hurt, but I think it's possible for you to beat him at your current level.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Stopping by to say that I've recently been playing the original Dragon Quest on my phone while doing some light traveling, and I've got to say, it's a really refreshing simplistic game to try out so far. I'm only like Lvl. 11, but I guess the one-on-one combat is just so straightforward without the need for complex systems that I've just enjoyed the hell out of the couple hours I've played haha.

I have other DQ games to play, but I wanted to try something short out on my phone and just settled on the original DQ, so hopefully it'll be the first one I finish soon!

TriforceBun

Smash Apprentice
Stopping by to say that I've recently been playing the original Dragon Quest on my phone while doing some light traveling, and I've got to say, it's a really refreshing simplistic game to try out so far. I'm only like Lvl. 11, but I guess the one-on-one combat is just so straightforward without the need for complex systems that I've just enjoyed the hell out of the couple hours I've played haha.

I have other DQ games to play, but I wanted to try something short out on my phone and just settled on the original DQ, so hopefully it'll be the first one I finish soon!
I think the original DQ is pretty underrated, at least outside of the credit it gets for its legacy in crafting the JRPG. The grinding element of the game is an issue, but really only near the very end (between when you get the best armor and when you can reliably fight the final boss). The rest of the game actually has pretty good pacing, challenging the player to make long treks to reach the next town, utilize their limited gold smartly (by choosing weapons, armor, or tools), and it has quite a decent amount of lore and world-building as well. Plus everything's wrapped up in endearing character designs and lovely music.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Fun fact: the chief art designer for Sw/Sh was once involved with a DQ game.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
Fun fact: the chief art designer for Sw/Sh was once involved with a DQ game.

I knew James Turner designed a few of the Pokémon Black and White species (iirc it was the Vanillite line, Golett and Golurk, and Vullaby), but I didn't know he worked on Dragon Quest Swords, awesome!

GolisoPower

Smash Master
I knew James Turner designed a few of the Pokémon Black and White species (iirc it was the Vanillite line, Golett and Golurk, and Vullaby), but I didn't know he worked on Dragon Quest Swords, awesome!
Huh. Now that I think about it, the Vanillite line does kind of look like a Slime on a cone...

Firox

Smash Master
So apparently Hero has been banned from tournament play in southern Australia. Looks like the competitive scene over there is really not liking the whole RNG insta-kill thing. While I disagree with banning a character with so many flaws, I do have to say that Hero's overall power might need to get scaled back a bit. I'm sorry, killing from center stage at 30-40% off an uncharged forward smash is freaking broken, even for heavies like Ganondorf or Bowser. No other character can do 37% damage off a single charged B move, let alone kill with it around 60-70%. Then you have his side B that does 25% damage HALF-charged and kills at 40% at full charge. It's a good thing he's so painfully slow or else he'd be HANDS DOWN the most deadly character in the game. lol I remember when Incineroar came out, people were laughing about how he "****s out damage", but he's got nothing on Hero.

Munchi

Smash Journeyman
Well, people will end up getting used to it or just when the tier list starts to come out and it's not top tier, people will start to calm down or just get used to it over time

D

Deleted member

Really, my only problem with Hero is that he needs to be faster. When rushed down, everything good about him crumbles apart. I played with my brother. Out of around ten matches, he only won once but that's because he spent those other nine matches learning how Hero worked. Here's what he learned that ultimately kicked my ass.

• His neutrals can't save him against fast characters with better neutrals like Mario, Inkling, Joker.
  • Crits are powerful and satisfying to land but relying on crits is a one trick pony that's easily predictable.
  • A lot of his good spells (Thwack, kaboom, fully charged specials, magic burst) cost a lot of MP, and running out means relying on his crap neutrals
  • Some of his good down b specials can just be shielded against like snooze, thwack, whack, even magic burst apparently. Whatever can't be shielded against can be avoided like hatchet man and kamikazee.
  • If your opponent hits you at the start up of magic burst, you just waste all of your mp
  • His only vertical Down-B's are magic burst and kamikazee meaning approaching him in the air while he's camping is a generally safe option
  • Hocus Pocus can be bull**** but will probably never be used in an high stakes situation when you can potentially kamikazee, fall asleep, or slow down

All of it came down to his only good moves are finite special attacks and his slow forward smash. And my brother and I are not strong competitive players. I can't imagine how the top players are deconstructing Hero as we speak

GolisoPower

Smash Master
So I personally like all the Spells Hero has, but even so, I wanted to look into what spells we could have for Down B.

Here's what I think could be added, unless it would make it worse for some:

• Kabuff: Basically Monado Shield for Hero.
  • Kasap: Lowers opponents' defense.
  • Blunt: Lowers opponents' attack.
  • Kazing: A hefty-cost spell that revives your teammate in team battles.
  • Kafuddle: Ramblin' Evil Mushroom in Spell form.
  • Miracle Slash: Nosferatu in a sword slash. Like Heal, cannot be used more than a certain amount until Hero KO's an opponent.
  • Mercurial Thrust: Basically Mii Swordfighter's Gale Stab. Comes out very quickly.
  • Toxic Sword: A poisonous slash with similar effects to Eiha/Eigaon.
These're probably not needed right now (They'll probably add at least some if they come back), but it's interesting to think about what could also be (or have been) included. I was thinking Deceleratle at one point, but then that would be rubbing salt on the wound of the Incineroar and Ganondorf mains out there.

Last edited:

Wigglerman

Smash Ace
I've been playing Hero a lot more, mostly just to spite the community as a whole (lol) and have a lot of fun with him. I've not even really been using his menu either so people can't even make johns about me abusing broken spells. Just practicing his neutral and spacing, adapting to his frame data and just winning by out playing people. Using neutral and f special accordingly to punish or make hard reads, so on. It's been pretty fun. Especially the clearly salty players who go from a composed play style to absolutely bonkers, making bad plays or taunting if they take a stock to try and rile me up. Hero has given me this joy to sort of troll online lobby's a bit and make me want to 'git gud' with him just to make a statement at this point.

Last edited:

SleuthMechanism

Smash Ace
NNID
SleuthMechanism
3DS FC
4184-2631-5815
Switch FC
SW-7949-7248-8280
as much as i'bve been defending hero up to this point(especially since they honestly aren't even GOOD) I do have to say the ban side has a point after seeing someone get two stocks deleted in a matter of seconds IN GRAND FINALS OF A TOURNAMENT via getting extremely stupid luck as much as i think hero should be given a chance and overall isn't that bad /firmly beleive they're UNDERPOWERED if anything just the fact that one can essentially spin the slots to potentially win a round right then and there which they might not have otherwise just isn't a helathy scenario for competition

Honestly i wish whack and thwack didn't exist. sure the chance of them killing at low percents is low but the fact that it can even happen is unneccsarily dumb and I really don't get why the dev team thought this was a must-have spell to represent in dragon quest when several other rpg characters in smash also have abilities with a chance to instantly kill( such as pk flash having a low percent chance to instantly kill against enemies that don't resist it, fire emblem being a series more notorious for crits than any other, etc)

Last edited:

Munchi

Smash Journeyman
as much as i'bve been defending hero up to this point(especially since they honestly aren't even GOOD) I do have to say the ban side has a point after seeing someone get two stocks deleted in a matter of seconds via getting extremely stupid luck as much as i think hero should be given a chance and overall isn't that bad /firmly beleive they're UNDERPOWERED if anything just the fact that one can essentially spin the slots to potentially win a round right then and there which they might not have otherwise just isn't a helathy scenario for competition

Honestly i wish whack and thwack didn't exist. sure the chance of them killing at low percents is low but the fact that it can even happen is unneccsarily dumb and I really don't get why the dev team thought this was a must-have spell to represent in dragon quest when several other rpg characters in smash also have abilities with a chance to instantly kill( such as pk flash having a low percent chance to instantly kill against enemies that don't resist it, fire emblem being a series more notorious for crits than any other, etc)
Mr game and watch 9 hammer

Arrei

Smash Lord
I don't really like Whack/Thwack either, but honestly, I think if an opponent gets hit by those, they deserved the dice roll. Thwack has high startup so it's reactable, and loses to pressure like the rest of Hero's kit, Whack travels incredibly slowly, both spells give the opponent the chance to see the spell in the Command Window ahead of time and stay out of the danger zone, effectively adding to their startup, and if someone is top-decking like a madman then landing a kill with that is pretty much the same thing as a Hail Mary Judge or Green Missile, only those options don't have the possibility of ending your own life instead.

I wouldn't mourn their loss if they were removed in 1v1s, since I pretty much only go for them at kill percent anyway, but I think the RNG really takes a back seat to just how bad those moves are on their own.

Firox

Smash Master
Mr game and watch 9 hammer
Can you reference a single time that G&W has insta-killed twice in the Grand Finals of a tournament? Ironically, G&W has been around for years and yet Hero pulled this off in less than two months.

Slime Master

Smash Ace
Can you reference a single time that G&W has insta-killed twice in the Grand Finals of a tournament? Ironically, G&W has been around for years and yet Hero pulled this off in less than two months.
What tournament are you referring to? Odds are pretty high that G&W has done that many times at some small local, but if this event is big enough your point still stands.

That said, who's to say Hero will still be capable of doing this once people learn the MU?

Firox

Smash Master
What tournament are you referring to? Odds are pretty high that G&W has done that many times at some small local, but if this event is big enough your point still stands.

That said, who's to say Hero will still be capable of doing this once people learn the MU?
Here's the article: https://www.eventhubs.com/news/2019...-finals-super-smash-bros-ultimate-tournament/

Apparently, it wasn't two insta-kills in a row, per se. It was a snooze that led to a fatal crit F-smash. (Snooze is still basically an insta-kill if it lands though) Then the player that had just died respawned only to instantly die again at 0% to thwack. Stupidly lucky, for sure, but damn that kind of RNG is some premium bull. I'd be SOOOOO tilted to lose to that. That said, I'm still not convinced one way or the other whether Hero should be banned, but something's gotta give here. So many things in his kit are downright stupidly overpowered.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
So we got something interesting: If you have save data for Dragon Quest 11 S on your Switch, you'll gain access to a Spirits of Lost Time Spirit.
1566401529240.png

I went to translate what kind of effect this Spirit does, and I think it's Fog Immunity. I don't know, I'm not too good with kanji.

Last edited:

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
So we got something interesting: If you have save data for Dragon Quest 11 S on your Switch, you'll gain access to a Spirits of Lost Time Spirit.
View attachment 235291

I went to translate what kind of effect this Spirit does, and I think it's Fog Immunity. I don't know, I'm not too good with kanji.
Oh? Where did you find that out? Just interested.

Last edited:

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Oh? Where did you find that out? Just interested.
It was just announced today, actually. Here's what's on their Twitter:

Slime Master

Smash Ace

<snip>

The icon looks like that of the fog immunity.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...th_the_series_creator_and_download_a_demo_now

How to access retro mode has been confirmed. It seems you need to save and start a story chapter in order to get it, from what I understand.

*thwack*
This brings me back to the days when I had to rent Pikmin and Metroid Prime to unlock trophies for those games in Melee. Fun times.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Started playing the demo for 11.

It feels so weird seeing such high quality character models in Akira torimayas artstyle, I don't know how else to describe it but it does.

I laughed way too hard when the camera pans over to the slimes and plays a dramatic sound effect and Gemma reacts all "Ahh! Monsters!"

helloiamhere

Smash Journeyman
The demo is really long. It ends right as you recruit Serena. That's like 10 hours right there.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I'm looking forward to messing around in this demo for as long as I can then, that sounds great.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I laughed way too hard when the camera pans over to the slimes and plays a dramatic sound effect and Gemma reacts all "Ahh! Monsters!"
I had a similar reaction - it's hard for Slimes to be dramatic when they have a constant 8D expression.

I'm loving the music and art so far, though the story seems to have every JRPG cliche in the book. (though maybe all of Dragon Quest is like that? I've only played 8 and Monsters, and I haven't gotten very far in either one)

Top Bottom