• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Heroes Draw Near. Command? (Hero Social Thread)

Not counting newcomers/echoes, which kind of DQ content would you like in future Smash games?

• Assist throphies (i.e. Slime/Slime Family, Golems, Killer Machines, Party Members)

Votes: 22 51.2%
  • Mii costumes (Alena, Torneko, Yangus, Priest)

Votes: 8 18.6%
  • Stages to show more DQ worlds

Votes: 10 23.3%
  • New tracks and arrangements

Votes: 22 51.2%
  • A boss (i.e. Dragonlord, Estark, Bjørn)

Votes: 9 20.9%
  • More Hero Alts (either male or female)

Votes: 17 39.5%
  • More cameos

Votes: 4 9.3%
  • Items (Chimera wing for example)

Votes: 4 9.3%

• Total voters

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
Can I just say that you guys are like, the MVPs of character supporters?

Like for real, you guys had practially an entire nation of Smash players telling you how "dumb" or "boring" your character pick was, but you kept on keeping on because it's a series you loved. Not only that, but you got the best of multiple worlds with the different protags being alts! Reminds me of how absolutely floored I was that Richter was added.

People really underestimate just how important DQ is. Admittedly, it's pretty much the only Square IP I had zero investment in prior (Outside of Fortune Street, that game is the bomb), but had always wanted to try. It's popularity overseas is INSANE, like moreso than people want to believe. Always appreciate Smash giving me that extra boost to try something, because I'm having a lot of fun with 8 right now, just got Angelo and am feeling like the real game has only just begun. Like, there is something so... Refreshing about playing such a traditional RPG, you know? It's nostalgic.

Plus, Hero is pretty much what I ALWAYS wanted a Final Fantasy rep to be growing up. MP? Crazy spells and abilities? A command menu? Like, I love Cloud, but he is definitely a FF7 rep, not a general FF rep. I'm so stoked to try them out.

Also is it bad that I named 8's protag Hero
Back in the Erdrick board we tried to keep our hopes, positivity and maturity up because we want everyone to be happy. At least in my case, I'd thought that if I do that I can be better then the haters.

D

Deleted member

Back in the Erdrick board we tried to keep our hopes, positivity and maturity up because we want everyone to be happy. At least in my case, I'd thought that if I do that I can be better then the haters.
Stuff like that would be great to have more frequently, indeed.

It is wonderful to have as much positivity as fairly possible in life.

Munchi

Smash Journeyman

Like for real, you guys had practially an entire nation of Smash players telling you how "dumb" or "boring" your character pick was, but you kept on keeping on because it's a series you loved. Not only that, but you got the best of multiple worlds with the different protags being alts! Reminds me of how absolutely floored I was that Richter was added.

People really underestimate just how important DQ is. Admittedly, it's pretty much the only Square IP I had zero investment in prior (Outside of Fortune Street, that game is the bomb), but had always wanted to try. It's popularity overseas is INSANE, like moreso than people want to believe. Always appreciate Smash giving me that extra boost to try something, because I'm having a lot of fun with 8 right now, just got Angelo and am feeling like the real game has only just begun. Like, there is something so... Refreshing about playing such a traditional RPG, you know? It's nostalgic.

Plus, Hero is pretty much what I ALWAYS wanted a Final Fantasy rep to be growing up. MP? Crazy spells and abilities? A command menu? Like, I love Cloud, but he is definitely a FF7 rep, not a general FF rep. I'm so stoked to try them out.

Well, I'm a big fan of dragon quest and I've always wanted the inclusion of this to smash and I'm not going to let some outrages ruin it.

D

Deleted member

Thanks, but at the same time I just wish we all could respect other choices.

I feel at times this whole Hype culture around certain characters end up being detrimental to most of the smaller fanbases, as it ends up limiting the number of popular picks to only a small number of characters and the rest become free targets.

I feel that we had a lot of useless conflicts in speculation like the SE Battle Royale or the MC Steve vs BK which could have been handled a lot better if the community wasn't as quick as to jump against what they perceive as a threath.

I'm not gonna lie, I am happy with the results. As while I'm not a BK supporter, both the general Smash fanbase that supported BK got then and us DQ supporters got someone we liked.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Thanks, but at the same time I just wish we all could respect other choices.

I feel at times this whole Hype culture around certain characters end up being detrimental to most of the smaller fanbases, as it ends up limiting the number of popular picks to only a small number of characters and the rest become free targets.

I feel that we had a lot of useless conflicts in speculation like the SE Battle Royale or the MC Steve vs BK which could have been handled a lot better if the community wasn't as quick as to jump against what they perceive as a threath.

I'm not gonna lie, I am happy with the results. As while I'm not a BK supporter, both the general Smash fanbase that supported BK got then and us DQ supporters got someone we liked.
Yeah, I know this all too well. I'm one of the handful of people on here who support Master Higgins and Bonk, for instance. And that's if they're noticed at all.

Speaking of the BK fanbase, other Rare characters were largely ignored for the longest time, with a select few people being dedicated to keep the Conker thread alive as it is. Meanwhile, there are people that actually support more than one series in a debate, with TheCJBrine TheCJBrine having once been stuck in the middle of the BK/Steve wars.

And I'm glad that people got to have their cake and eat it too. Both a big-name JP franchise and a legacy Western want finally got in at once. That by itself should help in greatly simplifying these fanbase wars, if only a little. We still have a long way to go before character support balance can be achieved.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
So I thought this would be very interesting to talk about, because some people brought up some interesting things in the moveset speculation.
I didn't really understand what was going on with the electric attack that we saw like twice in the trailer. Some people thought maybe it was a kind of slash, but there's also the idea that it could be an uncharged zap. That would mean that the zap they showed was a version that's charged (maybe zapple). I'm talking about this one they showed that takes longer to shoot out (credit to Blade of Evil's Bane Blade of Evil's Bane for bringing the gif):

Well, I took a look at the other electric attack we saw, and there's a couple frames where we can see the projectile of it go through:

Screenshot 2019-06-17 22.02.25.png

If you look on the left there, you can see the electric effects in a kind of circle, and that's actually the projectile going through snake and it just keeps going. It's easier to see it if you watch the trailer in slow motion at that part.

So it really seems to me that this could be zap. And the other one they showcase is actually the charged version. And considering the speed of this one, it seems rather good upclose as well. I would guess that maybe it's the regular side-b (maybe the first option if there's a menu there too).

Last edited:

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
So I thought this would be very interesting to talk about, because some people brought up some interesting things in the moveset speculation.
I didn't really understand what was going on with the electric attack that we saw like twice in the trailer. Some people thought maybe it was a kind of slash, but there's also the idea that it could be an uncharged zap. That would mean that the zap they showed was a version that's charged (maybe zapple). I'm talking about this one they showed that takes longer to shoot out (credit to Blade of Evil's Bane Blade of Evil's Bane for bringing the gif):

Well, I took a look at the other electric attack we saw, and there's a couple frames where we can see the projectile of it go through:

View attachment 228472

If you look on the left there, you can see the electric effects in a kind of circle, and that's actually the projectile going through snake and it just keeps going. It's easier to see it if you watch the trailer in slow motion at that part.

So it really seems to me that this could be zap. And the other one they showcase is actually the charged version. And considering the speed of this one, it seems rather good upclose as well. I would guess that maybe it's the regular side-b (maybe the first option if there's a menu there too).
The moveset speculation of the Heroes are the funnest I've had out of all the characters I've analyzed to date lol. He just looks so complex and interesting

Teeb147

Smash Legend
The moveset speculation of the Heroes are the funnest I've had out of all the characters I've analyzed to date lol. He just looks so complex and interesting
All the moves look good to me up to now. So many spells :D I'd like to see f-air, but the rest look really good, and up-air and down-tilt seem to be kicks.

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
All the moves look good to me up to now. So many spells :D I'd like to see f-air, but the rest look really good, and up-air and down-tilt seem to be kicks.
Yeah that's pretty solid. The nair is Ike/Cloud which is really good. Hopefully the fair is a combo tool. If he has a spike then he would be really freaking good.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Yeah that's pretty solid. The nair is Ike/Cloud which is really good. Hopefully the fair is a combo tool. If he has a spike then he would be really freaking good.
That's true we havent seen d-air yet either. I dont care if we get a spike or not, the character is already dope XD

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Assuming most of his sword moves are taken from other sword wielder so far, what do you guys think Fair will be like?

On one hand, Marthcina would be an obvious one, although that would make his already insane neutral even more whack.
On the other hand, maybe they’ll go for something more unique... like a downward shield spike.
I’m super satisfied that they went for Cloud’s Nair, even though it’s much less useful in this game.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Assuming most of his sword moves are taken from other sword wielder so far, what do you guys think Fair will be like?

On one hand, Marthcina would be an obvious one, although that would make his already insane neutral even more whack.
On the other hand, maybe they’ll go for something more unique... like a downward shield spike.
I’m super satisfied that they went for Cloud’s Nair, even though it’s much less useful in this game.
I'd enjoy having a straight up sword swing like them, it's good to have range on fair. Maybe it'd have less range than them, which would be fine.
Would've like to have seen it, but oh well one more thing to look forward to the details.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
You know, I see a lot of people worried about navigating the menu mid battle. Or more than one menu.

Tbh I’m not worried.
Because sometimes blindly inputting commands that I’ve memorized became a second nature to me. Sure, when I didn’t put them all in Tactics: Show no mercy.

It’ll be like managing a party (one menu for each).
I just have to memorize what menu has which commands, and I’m set!

I could almost memorize Shulk’s, and I have barely no interest in that character, and the way they’re arranged seems confusing to me (not to mention the awkward 5 angles, why not 4 and one in the center?)

But back to the point. If you have to cycle through repeating (pressing 4 times to get back to command #1) I won’t find it confusing at all.
Again, to me, it’s like memorizing 3-4 party members with 4 commands each (... like Pokémon?).

The question is... activation on release? Or pressing “A”? Or cycling with joystick and pressing B again to activate?

It’ll take some getting used to. But it’s going to be fine.

Last edited:

~The Koopa King~

Smash Ace
Switch FC
3169-5182-0524
just an interesting note guys Nintendo recently released the latest system update for the switch now there's a chance this doesn't mean anything big or major

but the last one was in april and someone noted that they usually don't do these unless it's to correct a bug caused by a previous update or if there's something down the pipeline coming

it happened with plant and joker

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
You know, I see a lot of people worried about navigating the menu mid battle. Or more than one menu.

Tbh I’m not worried.
Because sometimes blindly inputting commands that I’ve memorized became a second nature to me. Sure, when I didn’t put them all in Tactics: Show no mercy.

I could almost memorize Shulk’s, and I have barely no interest in that character, and the way they’re arranged seems confusing to me (not to mention the awkward 5 angles, why not 4 and one in the center?)

But back to the point. If you have to cycle through repeating (pressing 4 times to get back to command #1) I won’t find it confusing at all.
Again, to me, it’s like memorizing 3-4 party members with 4 commands each (... like Pokémon?).

The question is... activation on release? Or pressing “A”? Or cycling with joystick and pressing B again to activate?

I'm sure they've thought of a way to make it simple enough. I dont think it'll be too hard learning the skills at all. It's still much less than a game like soul calibur, where there's so many different moves with different inputs. In this case it might just be pressing an extra direction after holding b moves or something. I'm not worried about it, and I'm very curious how they've set it up.

Last edited:

Munchi

Smash Journeyman
The truth is that I wonder how they will have done so you can choose what special you will change. One thing during the trailer you can see that when he is choosing a movement the hero is standing with pensive looks is something that I find curious

Teeb147

Smash Legend
The truth is that I wonder how they will have done so you can choose what special you will change. One thing during the trailer you can see that when he is choosing a movement the hero is standing with pensive looks is something that I find curious
The thinking animation happens when the menu is open. They dont show the menu because that's at the bottom, but it's most likely open during those times

Sunredo

Smash Apprentice
The thinking animation happens when the menu is open. They dont show the menu because that's at the bottom, but it's most likely open during those times
Also the stance pretty much confirms that movement is locked when selecting a spell like Shulk.

Tbh I’m not worried.

In DQ (at least the few I've played so far) whenever you use a spell in battle the next time you open the spell list the cursor is already on top of the spell you last cast. Plus, menu navigation could work like "[Direction] + Special = Different list". If we combine these two then we just got to cast a spell for each direction to set a special for that direction, like an on the fly custom moveset. You might also have to activate a spell with A rather than releasing because unlike Shulk the menu for Hero doesn't have an obvious way to back out, so if it's opened up then we would have to execute a spell and potentially waste MP. I could see the menu being toggled on and off by pressing special but I can't see toggle and selecting with special because then we run into the same issue of not being able to back out. Hero might be able to shield and get out but I feel that's not very intuitive, especially since we know it's also activated in the air.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Also the stance pretty much confirms that movement is locked when selecting a spell like Shulk.

In DQ (at least the few I've played so far) whenever you use a spell in battle the next time you open the spell list the cursor is already on top of the spell you last cast. Plus, menu navigation could work like "[Direction] + Special = Different list". If we combine these two then we just got to cast a spell for each direction to set a special for that direction, like an on the fly custom moveset. You might also have to activate a spell with A rather than releasing because unlike Shulk the menu for Hero doesn't have an obvious way to back out, so if it's opened up then we would have to execute a spell and potentially waste MP. I could see the menu being toggled on and off by pressing special but I can't see toggle and selecting with special because then we run into the same issue of not being able to back out. Hero might be able to shield and get out but I feel that's not very intuitive, especially since we know it's also activated in the air.
Most likely shield to cancel the menu. B would be to select a spell too since it's quicker than going over to A. Not counting out on release either tho.
Shield and jump are what cancel charge moves, so i think it makes sense for the menu as well.

Last edited:

Sunredo

Smash Apprentice
Most likely shield to cancel the menu. B would be to select a spell too since it's quicker than going over to A. Not counting out on release either tho.
Shield and jump are what cancel charge moves, so i think it makes sense for the menu as well.
It's not really a charge move though, or at least it least it doesn't look like it to me. Hero's menu seems to work in a similar fashion to Shulk's Monado art selection but rather than releasing to execute a move I think it would make more sense to release to close out of the menu. Not only that but you can't shield while in the air, and if you have to air-dodge in order to close out of the menu then that would work against the player rather than with them imo.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
It's not really a charge move though, or at least it least it doesn't look like it to me. Hero's menu seems to work in a similar fashion to Shulk's Monado art selection but rather than releasing to execute a move I think it would make more sense to release to close out of the menu. Not only that but you can't shield while in the air, and if you have to air-dodge in order to close out of the menu then that would work against the player rather than with them imo.
We just dont know enough. But it doesnt make too much sense to me that it wouldn't work by pressing b (would complicate it for people). I really think the menu would close on shield or jump (or both). And just like the charge moves, you wouldn't want to do it all the time because of that. There could also be another way to close it, but i think If you use the menu in the air then it could just be risker, that's all. Something you'd have to watch for.

Last edited:

Sunredo

Smash Apprentice
We just dont know enough. But it doesnt make sense to me that it wouldn't work by pressing b. I really think the menu would close on shield or jump (or both). And just like the charge moves, you wouldn't want to do it all the time because of that. There could also be another way to close it, but i think If you use the menu in the air then it could just be risker, that's all. Something you'd have to watch for.
Agree to disagree then, and you're right about not knowing enough. I'm really hoping we get a trailer demonstrating te character next week because we most likely don't even know all the specials yet. I want to say the last time I was as eager to figure out how a character works would be Inkling but I think it my curiosity goes past that even.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Agree to disagree then, and you're right about not knowing enough. I'm really hoping we get a trailer demonstrating te character next week because we most likely don't even know all the specials yet. I want to say the last time I was as eager to figure out how a character works would be Inkling but I think it my curiosity goes past that even.
I'd sure love to hear about it soon, but i think it might only in july :/
never know tho. It's just sakurai said something like it'd be close to release (on twtiter). could still be sooner tho.

Last edited:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I am. I’m going out of my mind with anticipation. I really hoped for a shadow drop, but I guess at least we won’t have to wait as much as Joker.

I’m using Cloud ATM as I wait. Sometimes Link.

Unrelated.
Have y’all noticed? We are the 4th Character thread with most messages. We stand with about 6K a little behind to Ridley with 8K, K.Rool with over 12k, and of course, Banjo with a whopping 26K messages. :)

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I am. I’m going out of my mind with anticipation. I really hoped for a shadow drop, but I guess at least we won’t have to wait as much as Joker.

Unrelated.
Have y’all noticed? We are the 4th Character thread with most messages. We stand with about 6K a little behind to Ridley with 8K, K.Rool with over 12k, and of course, Banjo with a whopping 26K messages. :)
I dont think it counts for much considering how long speculation has been going.
But i definitely feel like people will be more active on the hero section.

THE 6r

Smash Ace
NNID
6r$¢€£¥™©®
3DS FC
2981-7049-0538
Switch FC
SW-1195-6602-2525

Unrelated.
Yeah, certainly this thread is going to get more active given that the blowback has drawn us closer together.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
I found an interesting theory as to when Hero (and by extension 4.0.0) will release.

Nintendo Switch ver. 6.2.0 was released with additional security fixes two weeks before Smash Ultimate was released, possibly to curb data miners.

Ver. 7.0.0 was released two days before Piranha Plant came out with Smash Ultimate version 2.0, completely overhauling security.

Ver. 8.0.0 was released two days before Joker and Smash Ultimate 3.0 came out, changing stuff like the Switch boot-up.

And with today releasing 8.1.0, which modifies the Switch’s TSEC keys, and maintenance happening tomorrow as of this post, this guy is thinking that we’ll get Hero and 4.0.0 this week, possibly on Friday.

I’m a little skeptical about this theory, but I’ll be happy if they release this week.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I found an interesting theory as to when Hero (and by extension 4.0.0) will release.

Nintendo Switch ver. 6.2.0 was released with additional security fixes two weeks before Smash Ultimate was released, possibly to curb data miners.

Ver. 7.0.0 was released two days before Piranha Plant came out with Smash Ultimate version 2.0, completely overhauling security.

Ver. 8.0.0 was released two days before Joker and Smash Ultimate 3.0 came out, changing stuff like the Switch boot-up.

And with today releasing 8.1.0, which modifies the Switch’s TSEC keys, and maintenance happening tomorrow as of this post, this guy is thinking that we’ll get Hero and 4.0.0 this week, possibly on Friday.

I’m a little skeptical about this theory, but I’ll be happy if they release this week.
Watch them be smart**ses about it and release them on the last week of September.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238

Well I love this theory. Hopefully the patch leads to the eshop not crashing the day The Hero releases. To have him by the end of the week! I think I’m going to skip a night of sleep this weekend just to play around with every spell and every alt.

Say, does anyone know if I can buy a single character from the pass with Gold Coins/points? I should have around 700 which should be, on paper, more than enough to get a character. But I have a feeling Nintendo won’t take virtual money as only means of payment. Just curious.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Well I love this theory. Hopefully the patch leads to the eshop not crashing the day The Hero releases. To have him by the end of the week! I think I’m going to skip a night of sleep this weekend just to play around with every spell and every alt.

Say, does anyone know if I can buy a single character from the pass with Gold Coins/points? I should have around 700 which should be, on paper, more than enough to get a character. But I have a feeling Nintendo won’t take virtual money as only means of payment. Just curious.
You always have to pay real money for the dlc characters. (edit: i guess nintendo gold coins should work for real purchases in the eshop tho)

And for the release date. First we have to see sakurai's video on them. Hope it's soon too, but could be anytime in summer.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I've spent more gold points for whole (albeit cheap) games. You should be good.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

Well, at least it's a short killswitch. If it's a wrong guess, then we watch as the guy moves the goalpost.

Watch them be smart**ses about it and release them on the last week of September.
At least we just have two months, give or take a week. Banjoroos are potentially going to deal with three.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I'm playing through Dragon Quest 8 on the 3DS, and I've just unlocked the fourth (and as far as I know, final) party member. I'm about nine hours in, but that was much sooner than I thought it would be.

If the bestiary is any indication, I've still got a long way to go until the end of the game, though one apparent downside to having four party members is that I don't think I'll be gaining experience as quickly as I previously was. (though I'm not sure if I'm overleveled at the moment - my party members are anywhere from 2-5 levels higher than Angelo, who was just recruited at level 12)

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I'm playing through Dragon Quest 8 on the 3DS, and I've just unlocked the fourth (and as far as I know, final) party member. I'm about nine hours in, but that was much sooner than I thought it would be.

If the bestiary is any indication, I've still got a long way to go until the end of the game, though one apparent downside to having four party members is that I don't think I'll be gaining experience as quickly as I previously was. (though I'm not sure if I'm overleveled at the moment - my party members are anywhere from 2-5 levels higher than Angelo, who was just recruited at level 12)
The 3ds version has 2 extra charcters that you can get.
You're still pretty early in the game. And it's normal to have a full party in that one. You could technically kill some off if you really wanted to go with less. Dunno if it's worth it tho.

helloiamhere

Smash Journeyman

I don't think Hero will be released anytime in June unfortunately. They probably would have given us a more concrete date at E3 if that were the case.

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
Reflecting on the Hero's reveal trailer, and after checking out GameXplain's video analyzing the character, I realized how huge of an impact this character's inclusion will make in the roster (afterwards I saw that someone on this thread had mentioned how Hero's specials might work).

As with other characters which have gotten the "faithful-to-source-material" treatment, the Hero's gameplay takes it to another level imo. Playing as him will feel straight up like playing a side-scrolling action rpg. The mere thought that this character has 16 specials moves that, from what has been speculated so far may be integrated as each directional special move input having 4 different "Commands?". As to how would the command menu be triggered, I had thought they might implement a similar input to Inkling's ink refill input (Block + B; in which case for the Hero it would be Block + B, Block + Up B, etc.). The possibility of a character having more than two recovery moves, numerous projectile moves with different attributes, different counters (though there are some characters like Palutena and Joker that have these, but still). I honestly can't wait to see high level gameplay of Hero after he's released. :love:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Reflecting on the Hero's reveal trailer, and after checking out GameXplain's video analyzing the character, I realized how huge of an impact this character's inclusion will make in the roster (afterwards I saw that someone on this thread had mentioned how Hero's specials might work).

As with other characters which have gotten the "faithful-to-source-material" treatment, the Hero's gameplay takes it to another level imo. Playing as him will feel straight up like playing a side-scrolling action rpg. The mere thought that this character has 16 specials moves that, from what has been speculated so far may be integrated as each directional special move input having 4 different "Commands?". As to how would the command menu be triggered, I had thought they might implement a similar input to Inkling's ink refill input (Block + B; in which case for the Hero it would be Block + B, Block + Up B, etc.). The possibility of a character having more than two recovery moves, numerous projectile moves with different attributes, different counters (though there are some characters like Palutena and Joker that have these, but still). I honestly can't wait to see high level gameplay of Hero after he's released. :love:
I dont think it works with shielding, because when the hero opens the menu there's the thinking animation, and that animation shows up in other places too, like when he's about to use zoom (in the air). It wouldn't be those buttons because it would make you air dodge in the air.

Most of us think there's a menu of 4 spells for each direction of b. Could be 3 for some, but seems likely enough that it's 4.
It could be something else, but that's what seems to make sense.

But glad to see another person like the character.
Also, nice snowboard kids avatar :)

Last edited:

GolisoPower

Smash Master
I'm not sure if this has been discussed on this thread before, but do you guys think Kirby will get a limited MP Bar if he copies Hero, similar to how he gets limited Ink from copying Inkling?

Top Bottom