• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Heroes Draw Near. Command? (Hero Social Thread)

Not counting newcomers/echoes, which kind of DQ content would you like in future Smash games?

• Assist throphies (i.e. Slime/Slime Family, Golems, Killer Machines, Party Members)

Votes: 22 51.2%
  • Mii costumes (Alena, Torneko, Yangus, Priest)

Votes: 8 18.6%
  • Stages to show more DQ worlds

Votes: 10 23.3%
  • New tracks and arrangements

Votes: 22 51.2%
  • A boss (i.e. Dragonlord, Estark, Bjørn)

Votes: 9 20.9%
  • More Hero Alts (either male or female)

Votes: 17 39.5%
  • More cameos

Votes: 4 9.3%
  • Items (Chimera wing for example)

Votes: 4 9.3%

• Total voters

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
I thought of that the other day but that's not gonna happen because dq12 was only announced to be in development, so there's no way it's going to matter for smash for a long time. dont worry though, we dont need pipe dreams for lots to be possible.
Yeah, I was being facetious anyway.

I think I'm gonna just refrain from talking about the issue now. Like I said in the Erdrick thread, I think it's likely that Sakurai or someone else will address it eventually, I don't think they're gonna pretend it isn't concerning some of us.

In the meantime, I want to share one of my favorite reactions:

There was a problem fetching the tweet

She's just so happy ;_; I was looking at lots of Japanese reactions to The Hero during my hiatus and hers is one of the most emotional.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Yeah, I was being facetious anyway.

I think I'm gonna just refrain from talking about the issue now. Like I said in the Erdrick thread, I think it's likely that Sakurai or someone else will address it, I don't think they're gonna pretend it isn't concerning some of us.

In the meantime, I want to share one of my favorite reactions:

There was a problem fetching the tweet

She's just so happy ;_; I've been looking at lots of Japanese reactions to The Hero during my hiatus and hers is one of the most emotional.
Yeah I figured you were, but I didn't know how to play along in that case ;p. I've seen those reactions around a lot now. There's another one where the guy was practically crying by how emotional he was. I dont think making reaction videos in japan is as big, but it's nice that there's still a good bunch.

Last edited:

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
Since I really dig the look of that particular hero, I've started Dragon Warrior 4...
But old man, I sure wish this game had descriptions for the items. I could have saved so much time grinding for money, had I known that half plate armor can't be used by Ragnar.
My rookie mistake was not looking up instruction manuals before playing.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
Since I really dig the look of that particular hero, I've started Dragon Warrior 4...
But old man, I sure wish this game had descriptions for the items. I could have saved so much time grinding for money, had I known that half plate armor can't be used by Ragnar.
Yeah, you don't get the ability to see item descriptions until later. Until then, practice saving your progress before buying weapons and armor at shops to make it a habit.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
When you buy equipment it should list any stat changes. That's where you should be able to tell if it can be equipped by the character or not.
If it just has lines then it can't be equipped.

Yeah, you don't get the ability to see item descriptions until later. Until then, practice saving your progress before buying weapons and armor at shops to make it a habit.
Oh. am i missing something?

Last edited:

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
Oh. am i missing something?
No you're right. But every item in the game has a little description, and a certain character needs to join before you can look at them with the Appraise option in the menu.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
No you're right. But every item in the game has a little description, but a certain character needs to join before you can look at them with the Appraise option in the menu.
Oh. Ok, well you dont need to appraise to see that stuff. So i guess it's just a little tidbit that some people dont know.

There's a few things in dragon quest that arent obvious at first, but i think that part would be to people who played other rpgs like final fantasy (i think).

Last edited:

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
Is there a character that can examine items for me or something? I figured I was just out of luck since this is an NES RPG.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
Is there a character that can examine items for me or something? I figured I was just out of luck since this is an NES RPG.
OHHHH you're playing the original NES version, that explains so much.

The character doesn't come up in the story until later, so my earlier advice still applies. Until you meet them, just save before shopping.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
OHHHH you're playing the original NES version, that explains so much.

The character doesn't come up in the story until later, so my earlier advice still applies. Until you meet them, just save before shopping.
Oh ok, yeah nes games sometimes had cryptic stuff :p

I really recommend the ds version. Tho nes sprites still have their own charm.

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
Oh ok, yeah nes games sometimes had cryptic stuff :p

I really recommend the ds version. Tho nes sprites still have their own charm.
I would be playing the mobile version, but I couldn't stomach playing a video game on my phone. I don't know how anybody does that with anything that isn't just a simple puzzle game that you play for 5 minutes on the can. NES version is more readily available for me, and it doesn't have the weird accents, which is a major Plus for me. I've played the erdrick trilogy already, so I'm prepared to deal with some cryptic stuff.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I would be playing the mobile version, but I couldn't stomach playing a video game on my phone. I don't know how anybody does that with anything that isn't just a simple puzzle game that you play for 5 minutes on the can. NES version is more readily available for me, and it doesn't have the weird accents, which is a major Plus for me. I've played the erdrick trilogy already, so I'm prepared to deal with some cryptic stuff.
I figure anything that isn't precision based is tolerable on mobile. RPGs is personally one of the best genres to play on one. I mean the worst that has happened to me is falling into pits. But to each its own. I enjoyed DQ 1 through 6 on my phone, and I wish 7 and 9 had also been available there.

I hope they release a translated Terry's Wonderland on iOS/Android, since I find it to be the perfect game to have on my phone.

~The Koopa King~

Smash Ace
Switch FC
3169-5182-0524
The wait is soul crunching.
Last night after one of the most anticipated days for me, at the end of the day I could only think of Smash and Hero DLC.

Just how long will we have to wait, I wondered.

Although I’ve kept playing once every 2 days, out of habit, overall, I’ve never gotten so bored with smash this fast!

But Hero turned that around. The problem is I’m having no fun playing with the roster as it is now. Like, I tried making my Cloud better but... his moveset is just boring.
Interest in any other characters I’ve used until now has plummeted.
This DLC will reinvigorate my love for Smash, no doubt about it. I hope it comes soon!
that's my issue as well...i don't even feel like playing smash anymore not until hero's released...

i can play king k.rool all i want but i just need DQ Hero to give me something fresh in this game

if he isn't out until august then i have no idea what I'm gonna be doing as far as smash ultimate is concerned....

I too have never felt this bored of smash before....but there just is nothing to look forward to right now aside from waiting until hero randomly drops

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Just remember, when being facetious, always use smilies or this guy, otherwise you can't have people tell your intent when it's just text. :4pacman:

Also, at least you guys can play Smash, I finally got the game, but still don't have a Switch. :glare:

Jade_Rock

Smash Apprentice
I still think we will get a trailer next week and hero will be here in June. He looked basically done compared to the simple joker pose we got the first time we seen him.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I still think we will get a trailer next week and hero will be here in June. He looked basically done compared to the simple joker pose we got the first time we seen him.
I think that's pretty soon. I think the minimum is july, Personally, and that it'll be late july or early august.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
i just don't see Hero being that unfinished or bug riddled that he would need A Late July Release
It's not about bugs. It takes a lot of time to fine-tune characters and make sure they're balanced. This is a character that has maybe 16 different spells. It could take longer to finish it up. But it really depends how much work they put into them at the same time as joker.

I think it can easily be in the middle of summer. but let's hope it's sooner :)

ShotoStar 2

Smash Journeyman
Okay I want to ask this again even though I've asked this plenty of times. I have spare money so I can get a DQ game on mobile I would like to get DQ8 if possible but I have no idea how well it runs on mobile especially for an Iphone 6S since that's what I have I assume it runs badly but I have no idea, I'm not a huge DQ guy.

How well does DQ8 run on Mobile and if it doesn't run well which of the DQ games would you say had the best port? I'd like to give the series one more chance.

D

Deleted member

Okay I want to ask this again even though I've asked this plenty of times. I have spare money so I can get a DQ game on mobile I would like to get DQ8 if possible but I have no idea how well it runs on mobile especially for an Iphone 6S since that's what I have I assume it runs badly but I have no idea, I'm not a huge DQ guy.

How well does DQ8 run on Mobile and if it doesn't run well which of the DQ games would you say had the best port? I'd like to give the series one more chance.
The mobile version of 8 is probably the worst version of it. I'd recommend the 3DS version instead, since it adds a lot of new content from the original release.
The mobile ports of 1-6 are great though. Out of those I would say to play 4 or 5.

ShotoStar 2

Smash Journeyman
The mobile version of 8 is probably the worst version of it. I'd recommend the 3DS version instead, since it adds a lot of new content from the original release.
The mobile ports of 1-6 are great though. Out of those I would say to play 4 or 5.
I would play the 3DS version or the PS2 version but I have neither console and I highly highly doubt something like Pirating would work well with those systems let alone DQ8 but even if they could it's still unethical.

How bad is the Mobile version of DQ8? But if I don't get DQ8 I was already considering 4 due to the fact he's an alt of Hero, I'm mostly doing this cause I want to know more about DQ before Hero's release after all.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I would play the 3DS version or the PS2 version but I have neither console and I highly highly doubt something like Pirating would work well with those systems let alone DQ8 but even if they could it's still unethical.

How bad is the Mobile version of DQ8? But if I don't get DQ8 I was already considering 4 due to the fact he's an alt of Hero, I'm mostly doing this cause I want to know more about DQ before Hero's release after all.
I think a quick glance at the comments will probably shed light on it's issues.
Most of all, I think the complaints are:

1) Lack of voice acting to keep the size down.
2) Midi music instead of orchestral.
3) Portrait mode, but then again, all DQ games on mobile are portrait mode.
4) I think, I THINK, FPS drops to like 20 in some ocassions, but I'd have to double check.

If you are alright with all of these, then by all means go for it. Worst case scenario, I think you can refund it (on Android, not sure App Store).

D

Deleted member

If you don't have access to any other version then the mobile version is fine enough. It's mainly due to the fact that it's the only version without anything unique to it to it that I don't recommend it as much as the other versions.

ShotoStar 2

Smash Journeyman
If you don't have access to any other version then the mobile version is fine enough. It's mainly due to the fact that it's the only version without anything unique to it to it that I don't recommend it as much as the other versions.

4) I think, I THINK, FPS drops to like 20 in some ocassions, but I'd have to double check.

If you are alright with all of these, then by all means go for it. Worst case scenario, I think you can refund it (on Android, not sure App Store).
hmm... I may choose DQ4 then but I'll have to think on it. How is DQ4 on Mobile? Is it good?

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
hmm... I may choose DQ4 then but I'll have to think on it. How is DQ4 on Mobile? Is it good?
It's the best version of that game, actually! Unlike the DS version, the mobile port has Party Chat, meaning you can use the Talk option when not speaking to an NPC to trigger a comment from each of your party members. It gives them all a ton of personality and character missing from the original western release of Dragon Quest IV on the DS.

Edit: aside from that it's the exact same game with nicer textures.

Last edited:

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex

I didn’t know about all these things and I bought it and it definitely feels watered down. There’s also a lot of icons/backgrounds, overall motif and styles missing. Like the menus look like a generic mobile menu as opposed to the original really well styled/themed menus which I only realized were like that upon looking at screenshots of the PS2 version.

Last edited:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Really good.
It’s basically the DS version but with party chat and Cloud save (Although I’ve never been able to make it work, maybe it’s a region thing).
My only nitpick is that the characters’s faces on the battle menu are microscopic compared to the DS version. But that’s just because I love ogling at Toriyama’s art.

I didn’t know about all these things and I bought it and it definitely feels watered down. There’s also a lot of icons/backgrounds, overall motif and styles missing. Like the menus look like a generic mobile menu as opposed to the original really well styled/themed menus which I only realized were like that upon looking at screenshots of the PS2 version.
I think Portrait Mode also brings a few graphical errors, as it wasn't meant to be played in that ratio.
Something about stuff getting lost or abruptly cut off above, as if it were still being played at 4:3 for some objects. But I'm not sure if they patched this up later.

Last edited:

Jade_Rock

Smash Apprentice
DQ8 on mobile wasn't that bad. Sure no voice acting which while it was good, wasn't game breaking. The game like the rest of the DQs controls fine on mobile even in a 3d space.(there's an auto run button, meaning you can simply rotate the camera and hero will walk forward).

I did play this after ps2 so I knew what the characters and soundtrack sounded like beforehand. Still, even on mobile it's a great game and should not be overlooked.

Now you could buy a 2ds for real cheap online somewhere and buy DQ8 3ds which was a very well done port and made me glad to buy the game again along with some other 3ds games if you are interested.

But I think dq8 is the most expensive and it is watered down, so could you get a cheaper one like 4 at its best version.

Last edited:

Slime Master

Smash Ace
My first run through DQ8 was on the mobile version and I still adored it (it's my all time favorite game), so I think if there's a degree of not knowing what you're missing the quality of the game is more than enough to make up for the shortcomings of the port. Also, the mobile version has the instant alchemy pot from the get-go, which is a not-insignificant benefit over the PS2 version.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
Every time I boot up Smash, I'm bored and listless. I'm just too antsy waiting for The Hero and I ordered DQ8 to come in the mail but it's not arriving for a week, so I can't play that in the meantime.

It doesn't help that I already have every Spirit in the game, leveled them all up to 99, and have cleared every Challenge in the game.

~The Koopa King~

Smash Ace
Switch FC
3169-5182-0524
Every time I boot up Smash, I'm bored and listless. I'm just too antsy waiting for The Hero and I ordered DQ8 to come in the mail but it's not arriving for a week, so I can't play that in the meantime.

It doesn't help that I already have every Spirit in the game, leveled them all up to 99, and have cleared every Challenge in the game.
it doesn't help that spirit events bore me and My Main is in a bad place right now....the game has nothing for me until hero comes out

i hate this vague placeholder date

D

Deleted member

Is DQ5 better on DS or the mobile port? Debating whether or not to order it at my local Gamestop.
It should be the same from what I recall, depends on the price and if you prefer using a cellphone or a DS.

~The Koopa King~

Smash Ace
Switch FC
3169-5182-0524

Blackwolf666

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5000-4278-5177
I went out and bought DQ4 and DQ5 for iOS... surprisingly, I got hooked on DQ5 and playing through that one first. I thought I was going to play through DQ4 first because it has my favorite character throughout the entire series, Alena, but I enjoy the aspect of starting as a baby and going through all stages of life too much to put down DQ5 right now.

Warchamp7

Site Owner
Administrator
Premium
Slippi.gg
WAR#912
NNID
Warchamp7
:ulthero: :ulthero: :ulthero: :ulthero: :ulthero:

Dragon Quest hero has been added to premium post backgrounds, postbits and smileys​

Top Bottom