• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Heroes Draw Near. Command? (Hero Social Thread)

Not counting newcomers/echoes, which kind of DQ content would you like in future Smash games?

• Assist throphies (i.e. Slime/Slime Family, Golems, Killer Machines, Party Members)

Votes: 22 51.2%
  • Mii costumes (Alena, Torneko, Yangus, Priest)

Votes: 8 18.6%
  • Stages to show more DQ worlds

Votes: 10 23.3%
  • New tracks and arrangements

Votes: 22 51.2%
  • A boss (i.e. Dragonlord, Estark, Bjørn)

Votes: 9 20.9%
  • More Hero Alts (either male or female)

Votes: 17 39.5%
  • More cameos

Votes: 4 9.3%
  • Items (Chimera wing for example)

Votes: 4 9.3%

• Total voters

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I'm not sure if this has been discussed on this thread before, but do you guys think Kirby will get a limited MP Bar if he copies Hero, similar to how he gets limited Ink from copying Inkling?
I think maybe kirby will have the same but wont be able to recover mp. so, able to use the spells around 5 times. Or maybe only have sizzle, in the worst case.

Stickmanlolz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
lolaldenlee
Switch FC
SW-1694-6309-5598
I just really hope his down air isn't like TL, Shiek, Sonic etc. I hate those D-airs, especially if they're on a swordie.

Last edited:

Tri Knight

Smash Ace
I just really hope his down air isn't like TL, Shiek, Sonic etc. I hate those D-airs, especially if they're on a swordie.
The only one I dont mind of that nature is Bowser's. He at least can mix it up a lot better and has large lasting hitboxes when hitting the ground. As a whole, those types of D-airs blow though.

Stickmanlolz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
lolaldenlee
Switch FC
SW-1694-6309-5598
The only one I dont mind of that nature is Bowser's. He at least can mix it up a lot better and has large lasting hitboxes when hitting the ground. As a whole, those types of D-airs blow though.
Oh yeah Bowser has landing problems as well so that type of D-air is fine on him.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Can I just say that you guys are like, the MVPs of character supporters?

Like for real, you guys had practially an entire nation of Smash players telling you how "dumb" or "boring" your character pick was, but you kept on keeping on because it's a series you loved. Not only that, but you got the best of multiple worlds with the different protags being alts! Reminds me of how absolutely floored I was that Richter was added.

People really underestimate just how important DQ is. Admittedly, it's pretty much the only Square IP I had zero investment in prior (Outside of Fortune Street, that game is the bomb), but had always wanted to try. It's popularity overseas is INSANE, like moreso than people want to believe. Always appreciate Smash giving me that extra boost to try something, because I'm having a lot of fun with 8 right now, just got Angelo and am feeling like the real game has only just begun. Like, there is something so... Refreshing about playing such a traditional RPG, you know? It's nostalgic.

Plus, Hero is pretty much what I ALWAYS wanted a Final Fantasy rep to be growing up. MP? Crazy spells and abilities? A command menu? Like, I love Cloud, but he is definitely a FF7 rep, not a general FF rep. I'm so stoked to try them out.

Also is it bad that I named 8's protag Hero
THANK YOU!

It's nice when people know the pain we had to endure. And since our fanbase is known for being pretty chill, we don't want to lash out at the world. Doesn't mean we won't go up in arms to defend it, but we know it's value, and it's contribution, so we try to remain civil.

The sad part is, the west's reaction to Hero has been mostly embarrassing to say the least. Japan must be like: "Do those guys even like videogames? lol"

But I don't let that get in the way of how absolutely EXCITED I am, this has been by far one of my favorite newcomers. I was excited by Simon, but Hero topped it tenfold. And Simon was my 3rd most wanted (Hero was 2nd).

~The Koopa King~

Smash Ace
Switch FC
3169-5182-0524
looks like we can cross off the chances of a piranha plant situation happening here(I.E Nintendo stating one release date for the character and then just releasing the character shortly before that release window)

anqilador999

Smash Rookie
Hey I saw a post in the forum earlier today (which I couldnt found again) saying that we could have news of the hero tomorrow or in 3 days because of a couple of events where nintendo will be involved does someone know anything about this ?

Tri Knight

Smash Ace
THANK YOU!

It's nice when people know the pain we had to endure. And since our fanbase is known for being pretty chill, we don't want to lash out at the world. Doesn't mean we won't go up in arms to defend it, but we know it's value, and it's contribution, so we try to remain civil.

The sad part is, the west's reaction to Hero has been mostly embarrassing to say the least. Japan must be like: "Do those guys even like videogames? lol"

But I don't let that get in the way of how absolutely EXCITED I am, this has been by far one of my favorite newcomers. I was excited by Simon, but Hero topped it tenfold. And Simon was my 3rd most wanted (Hero was 2nd).
At the very least, DQ is huge in Japan so for them, getting the Heroes in Smash was probably a no-brainer - especially with a character such as Cloud being in the roster already. I watched japanese reaction vids for Hero and it was hilariously intense from what I saw.

Weird that for Final Fantasy being so big in the west (and mainly the first 10, really), Dragon Quest never got as much exposure. You would have thought Dragon Quest would be up there as well being the other heavy hitter JRPG in the east.

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
One thing that music you would like to see you
I've got quite a few favorites so I'll put them in spoilers by game with a link so you can listen to them as well
Since we have adventure already the only two i can see us getting/ me wanting is
This one was hard since 7 has a lot of relaxing music had trouble finding something else other than its battle theme
Warcry is fine by itself
Since ENIX made us skip ten so will i and I haven't played eleven and I'd like to know little of its soundtrack until I get to hear it this Septemeber
also Tri Knight Tri Knight my friend Enix dropped the ball by not putting games out on the SNES in the west final fantasy took off here leaving Dragon Quest in the dust over in the west at least now they're trying to play catch up which is fine but they really think people don't care about the series over here but we do were not the largest or loudest bunch but we're here and we exist and were pretty adamant about our love for this franchise

Last edited:

DutchPichu

Smash Journeyman
I am just hoping for more than 2 music tracks. Never played any DQ game but man, the music was so good in the Hero trailer!

Munchi

Smash Journeyman
I just bought DQH1!
Congratulations, I hope you enjoy it

I've got quite a few favorites so I'll put them in spoilers by game with a link so you can listen to them as well
Since we have adventure already the only two i can see us getting/ me wanting is
This one was hard since 7 has a lot of relaxing music had trouble finding something else other than its battle theme
Warcry is fine by itself
Since ENIX made us skip ten so will i and I haven't played eleven and I'd like to know little of its soundtrack until I get to hear it this Septemeber
also Tri Knight Tri Knight my friend Enix dropped the ball by not putting games out on the SNES in the west final fantasy took off here leaving Dragon Quest in the dust over in the west at least now they're trying to play catch up which is fine but they really think people don't care about the series over here but we do were not the largest or loudest bunch but we're here and we exist and were pretty adamant about our love for this franchise

I think they will only play dragon music, 3,4,8 and 11 for being the chosen heroes

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I just bought DQH1!
2 is much better. But if you enjoy the first then you'll be in for a much bigger treat on the second one :)

It's cool that they're not very expensive now, that and the first Builder.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

2 is much better. But if you enjoy the first then you'll be in for a much bigger treat on the second one :)

It's cool that they're not very expensive now, that and the first Builder.
That sounds amazing, because so far I’m enjoying the game!

I may try to pick Heroes 2 for my birthday or a later date.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
The wait is soul crunching.
Last night after one of the most anticipated days for me, at the end of the day I could only think of Smash and Hero DLC.

Just how long will we have to wait, I wondered.

Although I’ve kept playing once every 2 days, out of habit, overall, I’ve never gotten so bored with smash this fast!

But Hero turned that around. The problem is I’m having no fun playing with the roster as it is now. Like, I tried making my Cloud better but... his moveset is just boring.
Interest in any other characters I’ve used until now has plummeted.
This DLC will reinvigorate my love for Smash, no doubt about it. I hope it comes soon!

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Last night after one of the most anticipated days for me, at the end of the day I could only think of Smash and Hero DLC.

Although I’ve kept playing once every 2 days, out of habit, overall, I’ve never gotten so bored with smash this fast!

But Hero turned that around. The problem is I’m having no fun playing with the roster as it is now. Like, I tried making my Cloud better but... his moveset is just boring.
This DLC will reinvigorate my love for Smash, no doubt about it. I hope it comes soon!
You need to be prepared to wait for 2 months. It's something to look forward to, not hold on so tight that you dont enjoy other things ;)
Always hoping it's sooner than later tho, of course xD

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
looks like we can cross off the chances of a piranha plant situation happening here(I.E Nintendo stating one release date for the character and then just releasing the character shortly before that release window)
Called it.

I mean, Hero wasn't going to be that simple to work on and release quickly. Has lots of swag to balance.

Hey, it could be worse, you don't have to wait nearly half a year like the Joker gang did. :p

On that note, it feels to me like they wanted to announce Hero badly during the DQ-heavy February Direct, but couldn't since Joker wasn't ready yet. In the E3 direct, the DQXI ad almost felt like an afterthought.

You need to be prepared to wait for 2 months. It's something to look forward to, not hold on so tight that you dont enjoy other things ;)
Always hoping it's sooner than later tho, of course xD
Yeah I mean, we got hobbies besides playing Smash and talking here, yes? :smash:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend

at least the wait won't be as long as it was for Joker. The wait for him was pure torture for me

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
Anyone else looking forward to the possible Mii costumes for Dragon Quest?
  • Erdrick's Armor (DQ1) :ultswordfighter:
  • Prince of Midenhall (DQ2) :ultswordfighter:
  • Prince of Cannock (DQ2) :ultswordfighter:
  • Warrior (DQ3) :ultswordfighter:
  • Fighter (DQ3) :ultbrawler:
  • Ragnar (DQ4) :ultswordfighter:
  • Alena (DQ4) :ultbrawler:
  • Torneko (DQ4) :ultbrawler:/:ultswordfighter:
I wasn't sure who could be a good choice for Mii Gunner, the mage and priest classes felt kind of forcing it. But if we say that it wouldn't be forcing it, then I'd add the Princess of Moonbrooke (DQ2), Sage (DQ3), Kyril, Meena, Maya (all from DQ4), Bianca, Nera, Deborah (DQ5) as Mii Gunners.

Wasn't sure about the Dragon Quest 6 and 7 cast since they all change their classes throughout the game.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Anyone else looking forward to the possible Mii costumes for Dragon Quest?
  • Erdrick's Armor (DQ1) :ultswordfighter:
  • Prince of Midenhall (DQ2) :ultswordfighter:
  • Prince of Cannock (DQ2) :ultswordfighter:
  • Warrior (DQ3) :ultswordfighter:
  • Fighter (DQ3) :ultbrawler:
  • Ragnar (DQ4) :ultswordfighter:
  • Alena (DQ4) :ultbrawler:
  • Torneko (DQ4) :ultbrawler:/:ultswordfighter:
I wasn't sure who could be a good choice for Mii Gunner, the mage and priest classes felt kind of forcing it. But if we say that it wouldn't be forcing it, then I'd add the Princess of Moonbrooke (DQ2), Sage (DQ3), Kyril, Meena, Maya (all from DQ4), Bianca, Nera, Deborah (DQ5) as Mii Gunners.

Wasn't sure about the Dragon Quest 6 and 7 cast since they all change their classes throughout the game.
"Fighter (DQ3) :ultbrawler:
Alena (DQ4) :ultbrawler: "

Yes :)

(+ plenty of choices for sword fighters)

Last edited:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Called it.

I mean, Hero wasn't going to be that simple to work on and release quickly. Has lots of swag to balance.

Hey, it could be worse, you don't have to wait nearly half a year like the Joker gang did. :p

On that note, it feels to me like they wanted to announce Hero badly during the DQ-heavy February Direct, but couldn't since Joker wasn't ready yet. In the E3 direct, the DQXI ad almost felt like an afterthought.

Yeah I mean, we got hobbies besides playing Smash and talking here, yes? :smash:
Actually, I don’t really have a lot of free time. But I admit the wait for Hero to be revealed is nothing compared to the wait to see if he wasn’t even in the game.

—-
Mii costumes I would like? I don’t know what’s the limit but:
- DQ3 classes
- Dragonlord (gunner using staff)
- Alena
- Auster from DQ7
- DQ1 Hero armor and helmet

-

So if you could have an expansion of costumes being all female, who would you choose and what color swap would you give each?

My female roster would be:

Erdrick(a) (wearing the modern Erdrick colors)
-> Alt: Moonbroke Princess
Sophia
-> Alt: Deborah
Anlucia
-> Alt: Jessica
Celestrian girl
-> Alt: Mena/Maya

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
For extra female alts, I used to think that female Celestrian would be nice, but I've changed my mind. I'm sad that Sophia and female Erdrick aren't playable because it makes sense to have both genders in there, so it's inconsistent to feel that having female Celestrian but not male Celestrian playable would be a good way to help make up for that.

Instead, I have another idea. Either give Anlucia 3 extra recolors (she's the first Hero class character who is definitively female only, has their own name you can't rename yourself, and is also an NPC who would theoretically be finally playable), or give female Erdrick and Sophia an extra recolor each (their games are some of the most popular and influential). Of course, this brings up another problem, which is "Why do some DQ characters get more recolors than others?", so this would complicate things a bit.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
For extra female alts, I used to think that female Celestrian would be nice, but I've changed my mind. I'm sad that Sophia and female Erdrick aren't playable because it makes sense to have both genders in there, so it's inconsistent to feel that having female Celestrian but not male Celestrian playable would be a good way to help make up for that.

Instead, I have another idea. Either give Anlucia 3 extra recolors (she's the first Hero class character who is definitively female only, has their own name you can't rename yourself, and is also an NPC who would theoretically be finally playable), or give female Erdrick and Sophia an extra recolor each (their games are some of the most popular and influential). Of course, this brings up another problem, which is "Why do some DQ characters get more recolors than others?", so this would complicate things a bit.
I think the best would still be to go with a fourth in that case. well either 2 or 4.
And i think it's fine to go with one of the options, dq9, dq10, or teresa (dqh2). there might even be other ones, but that's the easiest to think of (especially since we already talked about them ;p)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I do wonder when XII arrives, if the hero will get a gender option again like in other titles.

And regarding a potential heroine echo (fingers crossed), given that the hero has a selection of spells, I could see them possibly using the female celestrian and female hero of X. Alternatively, there's also the Heroes protags like Aurora and Teresa who also have Gigaslash.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I hope in any future Smash titles they give each of the playable protagonists their own unique finishers.

DQ4
DQ8

Except Erdrick I guess can keep the whole group gigaslash.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
I do wonder when XII arrives, if the hero will get a gender option again like in other titles.

And regarding a potential heroine echo (fingers crossed), given that the hero has a selection of spells, I could see them possibly using the female celestrian and female hero of X. Alternatively, there's also the Heroes protags like Aurora and Teresa who also have Gigaslash.
Plot twist: Sakurai held off on showing the female Heroes because he got an exclusive look at the female only Dragon Quest XII protagonist. His team needed time to polish up the design since Toriyama isn't completely done with it yet, but it's them, then female Erdrick, then Sofia, and then Anlucia.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Plot twist: Sakurai held off on showing the female Heroes because he got an exclusive look at the female only Dragon Quest XII protagonist. His team needed time to polish up the design since Toriyama isn't completely done with it yet, but it's them, then female Erdrick, then Sofia, and then Anlucia.
I thought of that the other day and it's a fun thought but that's not gonna happen because dq12 was only announced to be in development, so there's no way it's going to matter for smash for a long time. dont worry though, we dont need pipe dreams for lots to be possible.

Last edited:

Jade_Rock

Smash Apprentice
I hope in any future Smash titles they give each of the playable protagonists their own unique finishers.

DQ4
DQ8

Except Erdrick I guess can keep the whole group gigaslash.
I don't think that would make much sense. The character itself is hero, not Eight so using dragon soul would be weird. Gigaslash fits perfectly fine. Also it would just people more reason to compare DQ to DBZ and that's already annoying.

Top Bottom