• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Heroes Draw Near. Command? (Hero Social Thread)

Not counting newcomers/echoes, which kind of DQ content would you like in future Smash games?

• Assist throphies (i.e. Slime/Slime Family, Golems, Killer Machines, Party Members)

Votes: 22 51.2%
  • Mii costumes (Alena, Torneko, Yangus, Priest)

Votes: 8 18.6%
  • Stages to show more DQ worlds

Votes: 10 23.3%
  • New tracks and arrangements

Votes: 22 51.2%
  • A boss (i.e. Dragonlord, Estark, Bjørn)

Votes: 9 20.9%
  • More Hero Alts (either male or female)

Votes: 17 39.5%
  • More cameos

Votes: 4 9.3%
  • Items (Chimera wing for example)

Votes: 4 9.3%

• Total voters

Jade_Rock

Smash Apprentice
I saw that, and I proposed an idea on the moveset thread: you pick which four spells to use in the Command Window before you actually get ready to fight, kind of like how you have to pick which Mii to fight with. Like say, you select Hero, then pick, say, Kaclang, Oomph, Psyche Up and Bounce, creating a loadout about dishing out damage and taking it, too. Then when you've picked those spells, then you're ready to fight.
Maybe. So if that's neutral B then what about the rest? Picking all of them also sounds cumbersome especially in a tournament setting. Also that sounds like it'll turn people away from the character since they wouldn't know what does what.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Maybe. So if that's neutral B then what about the rest? Picking all of them also sounds cumbersome especially in a tournament setting. Also that sounds like it'll turn people away from the character since they wouldn't know what does what.
I wouldn't say it's Neutral B. Command Window seems more like a Down B to me. As for the tournament settings, perhaps there's an option to create presets, kind of like how you do Spirit teams?

Naoyatodo

Smash Apprentice
To be totally honest, I'm kinda hoping for the end of July, if only because it coincides with the 30th anniversary of one of my most wanted characters, who would make a good Echo. I'm expecting mid-July, though.

In other news, someone on the Smash Ultimate Modding Discord is making progress on Femdrick.
Screenshot_20190628-183535.png

You might recognize some of the assets from Dragon Ball Xenoverse or Dragon Quest Heroes.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Guessing a date is a lost cause. For all we know, they'll take until late July so that the programming can be done just right, they wouldn't afford to get anything wrong to do justice to DQ. Well, that and the release date period.

>releases on my birthday

Well then. Edit: Wait, never mind, worldwide release is in September, darn.

In the meantime, I'm hype for the CTR: Nitro-Fueled DLC dropping on July 3, within 5 days.

Last edited:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
To be totally honest, I'm kinda hoping for the end of July, if only because it coincides with the 30th anniversary of one of my most wanted characters, who would make a good Echo. I'm expecting mid-July, though.

In other news, someone on the Smash Ultimate Modding Discord is making progress on Femdrick.
View attachment 229494
You might recognize some of the assets from Dragon Ball Xenoverse or Dragon Quest Heroes.
That’s looking really good. Nice that he went for golden headband/tiara.

If that's the release date...

Smash Bros DLC and Stranger Things Season 3 on the same day?! Hell yeah!
Awesome! Though ST season 3 would be one fine distraction from the lack of Hero so I wouldn’t complain if we get him after.

Last edited:

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
In between playing Dragon Quest VIII and Super Mario Maker, I have zero problem waiting for further news on The Hero.

As for when they or the news will drop, I'm guessing either mid July or sometime in August. June's nearly over and all we got was Sakurai talking about how much pressure he felt developing them as playable characters and a vague, easy-to-misinterpret statement about their "random" attacks, so I don't think we're seeing their news drop this month.

TheGuv

Smash Apprentice
Hey fellow Herobros, new user here! :)

What Mii Costumes and Music do you want to see? I personally hope they add a lot of DQ8 music haha it' smy favourite game of all time. :)

I hope Yangus ends up as a mii brawler, but that might be unlikely.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
is anyone else bummed that The Hero has A Vague Release date of "Sometime In Summer 2019"?

there were quite a few fans who had hoped that things would be running smoothly after Joker's release and that we wouldn't have to keep making guesses on when the character would come out after their reveal

Joker seemed so bad because he was announced way too early and that was due to The vga's
Not me.

For one, two months isn't nearly as bad (especially since we're getting our character sooner than the BK fans), and secondly, rushing him out with all the stuff he comes with would be unwise, especially seeing how important DQ's legacy is. Sak and staff can't afford to mess up a single thing for Hero. Besides, putting release dates seldom ends well if they aren't met.

My advice is to focus on something else in the meantime, like Crash Team Racing.

Last edited:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238

What Mii Costumes and Music do you want to see? I personally hope they add a lot of DQ8 music haha it' smy favourite game of all time. :)

Hey welcome aboard!

Let’s see, Mii costumes?
- DQ 1 Hero (Swd)
- Alena (Brw)
- Dragonlord (Gun)
- Slime hat
- Marloth (DQ Builders 2, for All Miis)
- Golem suit (Brw)

Music:
- Battle themes (3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 11, Monsters, Swords)
- Also there’s another battle theme from 8 which is great, I think it’s a mini boss theme, where there’s an impressive drum solo.

Jade_Rock

Smash Apprentice
Can we just have all the music from 8? Also I can't believe 8s overworld theme is in 11S.

So nostalgic... I want to play it now!

Naoyatodo

Smash Apprentice

My money's still on DQ5 Hero over Swordfighter. Apart from that, some of the more beloved side characters, like Alena and Jessica, would be nice.

Music wise, I think the worst case scenario would be the two songs we heard in the trailer. Best case scenario would be a diverse selection of songs along with a remix or two. I'm gonna guess it'd be somewhere in the middle: 9 to 11 songs, no remixes. At least one from each represented game, as well as one from DQ1 or 5. Probably two variations of the Overture.

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
A rocking awesome cover of Adventure and Battle Theme from Dragon Quest 3 by GaMetal check it out man i just wish the series could get more rock covers like this or heck anything in any other genre.

Last edited:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
A rocking awesome cover of Adventure and Battle Theme from Dragon Quest 3 by GaMetal check it out man i just wish the series could get more rock covers like this or heck anything in any other genre.
This would be his 3rd cover if I’m not mistaken. As he already did... well this one, as part of a medley, and battle theme IV as part of another medley.

Edit: that was really good! Didn’t expect to be a medley with the battle theme included. I love his spin on both themes. Amazing! DQ definitely deserves more rock covers of this quality!

Last edited:

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
This would be his 3rd cover if I’m not mistaken. As he already did... well this one, as part of a medley, and battle theme IV as part of another medley.

Edit: that was really good! Didn’t expect to be a medley with the battle theme included. I love his spin on both themes. Amazing! DQ definitely deserves more rock covers of this quality!
well if we count dragon quest not getting grouped up with others then this is our first

TheGuv

Smash Apprentice
I still can't believe my favourite franchise is in smash, this is pretty much a dream come true.

D

Deleted member

Yangus, Dragonlord, Jessica and Slime hat for Mii costumes.

War Cry as part of the DQ music.

Tri Knight

Smash Ace
I still can't believe my favourite franchise is in smash, this is pretty much a dream come true.
Well I'm happy for you, especially. I remember when Cloud was announced for Smash 4. I had a heart attack.

My first DQ will be DQ11 for the Switch. I'm looking forward to it.

~The Koopa King~

Smash Ace
Switch FC
3169-5182-0524
well we're here...a lot of people are hoping hero comes out this week(while the more negative ones think he won't be out until august)

TheGuv

Smash Apprentice
well we're here...a lot of people are hoping hero comes out this week(while the more negative ones think he won't be out until august)
I think August is too late, he's definitely coming this month.

Probably next week.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
In case anyone is playing the 3DS version of Dragon Quest VIII, there is apparently a new limitation on allocating skill points that the game doesn't make clear. If you want to know how many skill points you can allocate into a given category, here is the formula the game doesn't tell you, in case you want to know:

Skill Cap = 25 + 2 * level

Basically I was confused as to why, for 3 level ups, the game wouldn't let me upgrade Yangus' Club skill tree, with the game constantly telling me that my level wasn't high enough but not telling me when I would reach the level they wanted me at.

The more I play this version the more I wish I just bought the PS2 version, but I'm gonna keep playing the game until I finish it as I'm too deep into it now.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
The more I play this version the more I wish I just bought the PS2 version, but I'm gonna keep playing the game until I finish it as I'm too deep into it now.
What else is wrong with the 3DS version? Maybe I'm too early into the game, but the limitation on skill points that you're describing doesn't sound like a huge deal. (then again, I'm splitting skill points between their main weapon and their character-specific bonus)

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
What else is wrong with the 3DS version? Maybe I'm too early into the game, but the limitation on skill points that you're describing doesn't sound like a huge deal. (then again, I'm splitting skill points between their main weapon and their character-specific bonus)
The limitation is a-ok by me, it's just that the game was needlessly unclear on what level you needed to be at before you pass the skill point threshold it puts up. If that was more transparent I wouldn't have been irked enough to look it up, and I deliberately avoid looking up these kinds of things so this felt pretty egregious to make me check out GameFAQs for a second.

As for what else I don't like about the port, the music isn't orchestrated and is midi. I don't have a big problem with this even if the trumpets sound bad, but my main issue is with the included version of To A Vast World, the overworld theme.

Basically, I play most games with headphones on. I live with my family and I don't like bothering them during the day or waking them up at night when I play games, plus I can hear the music better.

Now, imagine someone like me having to hear the high frequency dog whistle sound that pops up at 0:37 of the video, every other damn minute of exploring the overworld. I haven't seen anyone else mention it but even though the sound only lasts for 2 seconds (about from 0:37-0:39), it makes me needlessly question if something is wrong with my ears whenever that sound comes up, and it's incredibly grating to listen to.

Everything else about this port is fine, but these couple of things have bothered me quite a bit the past few days.

Tri Knight

Smash Ace
I'm very curious how he'll play. Out of all the characters with some management, his strikes me as the most fun to manage with the MP. I doubt he'll be a rushdown type but I dont see him being campy either.

~The Koopa King~

Smash Ace
Switch FC
3169-5182-0524
I'm very curious how he'll play. Out of all the characters with some management, his strikes me as the most fun to manage with the MP. I doubt he'll be a rushdown type but I dont see him being campy either.
it'll all depend on how much MP he has left in the gauge honestly

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I’m just wondering, specials aside, how well he'll fare as a swordsman.

Hope he’s at least the 3rd best swordsman. (But hopefully, the best).

Tri Knight

Smash Ace
I doubt he'll be top swordsman. Lucina and Roy will likely still be better. Maybe Ike too but I feel he's kinda falling off lately. He looks like he has too much utility to be THAT good at sword stuff. Kinda like Link in a way.

Maybe he'll be similar to Robin actually but a bit better at close range.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I’ll be mildly upset if his Fair is the same as Link’s.
Would love it if it were either: Lucina’s, Roy’s or especially, Shulk’s Nair mapped to Hero’s Fair.

As for Dair, it would feel pretty unique if he got it from Mii Swordfighter

Jade_Rock

Smash Apprentice
DQ8 always had that skill cap. Can't Max a skill until 38. The soundtrack isn't as great, but I'll take extra content and portability over a better soundtrack (and it doesn't even sound that bad, just got spoiled by orchestrated music imo).

Switch remake of 8 please! Lol not sure if I'd buy it for like the 3rd time.

Judging by his speed, he's going to link like as a sword fighter. Also shulk has so much range due to the properties of the monado and how it works in smash. Circular moves like his Nair are always nairs and we already seen his is similar to cloud's. The primary sword fighters will be better (marth,Roy,Ike,cloud) as sword fighters because they don't have as many projectiles or none and swords are their primary attack method. Roy's fair is better then Link's, but I don't see him getting that. Clouds would be nice.

It's all in balancing, he can't be the most versitile and best sword fighter, just would be dumb.

Last edited:

TheGuv

Smash Apprentice
Oh btw, if you guys didn't know this month will be the 2nd anniversary of Dragon Quest XI!

I can't believe Luminary and the boys have been with us 2 whole years! time flies quick!

Munchi

Smash Journeyman

This is also the case with the ps4 version

What spirits do you think will come

The Rhythm Theif

Smash Ace
An Apartment With Stolen Forgery Art In Paris
Switch FC
SW-2028-5151-9144
What spirits do you think will come
Dropping my votes on the Luminary Spirit, Erdrick Spirit, and the two other Heroes as fighter spirits, a Slime as a Support Spirit, and some of the allies (2 from each game each version of Hero represents) as Primary spirits, although some of them might be support spirits. Now that we have one series made from help with Akira Toriyama in Smash, I'm still waiting for any Dragon Ball fighter to show up at this point. I mean, come on, the Dragon Ball anime has it's own fighting and RPG games!

StormC

Smash Hero
The lack of information on Smash DLC release dates is so frustrating. Nintendo really likes to spring this stuff on us at the last minute. A vague "Summer 2019" doesn't help much. Maybe in the next Famitsu Sakurai will say something like "Hero will probably come out this month," but the waiting without any clear date is just agonizing. I just want to see if the Geno costume comes with Hero.

Top Bottom