• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Heroes Draw Near. Command? (Hero Social Thread)

Not counting newcomers/echoes, which kind of DQ content would you like in future Smash games?

• Assist throphies (i.e. Slime/Slime Family, Golems, Killer Machines, Party Members)

Votes: 22 51.2%
  • Mii costumes (Alena, Torneko, Yangus, Priest)

Votes: 8 18.6%
  • Stages to show more DQ worlds

Votes: 10 23.3%
  • New tracks and arrangements

Votes: 22 51.2%
  • A boss (i.e. Dragonlord, Estark, Bjørn)

Votes: 9 20.9%
  • More Hero Alts (either male or female)

Votes: 17 39.5%
  • More cameos

Votes: 4 9.3%
  • Items (Chimera wing for example)

Votes: 4 9.3%

• Total voters

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
One fairly amusing thing that's happened recently, it appears that a DQ arcade game is referencing Hero's Ultimate appearance.

Unfortunately, I can't find the footage for it right now...
I dunno what you're talking about but if you're able to find footage eventually, let us know!

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
I think it's in Dragon Quest Scan Battlers. That might help narrow it down.
Found it.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
So I know this thread isn't very active, but, as of a few days ago, I invested in something that would give me a much more stable internet connection when playing online. As a result, I am now, months after their release, trying to seriously main and fight well with The Hero.

So far...I've run into a few big problems.
  1. Rushdown and combo-oriented characters completely shut me down. Even someone as straightforward as Mario will give me huge problems, and it's very difficult to try to knock them out due to The Hero's slow, telegraphed smashes. The quickest moves The Hero can throw out to try to get pressure off of them seem to be down tilt (lots of endlag so you need to commit) or jab (better hope they're close enough cuz unlike other swordies The Hero's jab's hitbox is like a vertical rectangle rather than an arc in front of them). In general, if someone is up in my face, I have trouble getting them off of me.
  2. As alluded to in point 1, The Hero's many normals are very slow. As a result, I have to read what the opponent is doing a lot. I'm not complaining too much because this feels true to Dragon Quest lol, but it does mean that some of the trickier mix-ups opponents try can really get me. It's very hard to hit opponents with strong attacks in a quick fashion so I'm mostly smacking them with nair and uair to slowly but steadily raise their percent.
  3. Command Selection is obviously a big and important part of The Hero's kit, but it's absurdly easy to panic with it. Obviously I need to work on my control over it, but you get so little time to read all 4 of your options that I jump the gun a bunch. The bigger issue with Command Selection is that it draws your eye to the corner of the screen, temporarily distracting you from what opponents are doing. Command Selection is a move you really, really need to commit to (plus, in matches with more than 4 opponents, the 4 options' font size shrinks, making them even harder to read, which is a bit much imo).
    1. In general, I think all the panic and hysteria over The Hero being OP because of some moves they can get out from Command Selection are hilariously off the mark. The Hero has very, very clear weaknesses and it amuses me that that one South Australia tourney banned them, especially since they are so incredibly vulnerable during the move.
  4. After a while, using the Frizz and Zap spells can become predictable to savvy opponents. This is a shame, considering that they are The Hero's most valuable tools, Frizz (not Frizzle or Kafrizz) for popping opponents into the air for follow-ups and Zapple for spacing and as a general "get off me" panic button. I thought vanilla Zap would be more useful but it comes out a bit too late for my taste, so Zapple is what I keep going back to.
  5. Combos with The Hero. They're, uh, not there? Well they might be, I haven't been able to find any on my own, meaning I most likely need to look up videos online of other players of The Hero to get ideas, which I avoided doing because I like discovering things for myself. The closest things to combos I could find were Frizz>nair/fair, dtilt>jab>foxtrot into dsmash, and dthrow>nair/fair. These aren't really combos, just strings, if I'm using the terminology correctly. However, I will fully admit that I don't have full mastery over uair yet, it's a very precise attack and jumping the precise distance to land it on airborne opponents will take practice as it's difficult otherwise.
  6. They didn't give The Hero an up smash. I know they needed to balance them to make up for Zapple (a very OP spacing tool, probably the best in the game unless people can point to better examples) and Command Selection, but in general this is a pretty big oversight by the programmers. Hopefully one of the balance patches codes it into the game, would be cool to see.
Joking with #6 aside, I still feel very comfortable playing as The Hero, so I'm likely sticking with them as a main and my previous mains, Lucas and Cloud, will become secondaries instead. If anyone has any tips on the best ways to use The Hero, I'd be glad to hear it (I was exaggerating with point #5 of course, if anyone has any tips on how to combo with The Hero, I'm all ears).

Last edited:

kirbsmash

Smash Champion
it's funny how Hero has the most support groups out of here. Like, guys, how do you feel about the alts?

D

Deleted member

it's funny how Hero has the most support groups out of here. Like, guys, how do you feel about the alts?
Eight was the most never-ever pick out of all my most wanted.

The fact he still got in through an alt fills me with a lot of satisfaction to say the least.

Hopefully we get amiibo for the four heroes.

D

Deleted member

IIRC those threads all got locked not long after his reveal in favor of this general social. They existed before we knew it would be multiple heroes.
I can confirm that as someone who frequented the Eight thread.

kirbsmash

Smash Champion
IIRC those threads all got locked not long after his reveal in favor of this general social. They existed before we knew it would be multiple heroes.
Oh, I know. I just grin at them tho.

11 is the least supported hero, huh. XD

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Having Solo is pretty cool! My only regret is that there wasn't enough time to implement Sofia...

11 is the least supported hero, huh. XD
I will never not be amused at the fact that the (largely fake) 5Chan leak was the only one to support him when everyone else assumed Erdrick was the base.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Having Solo is pretty cool! My only regret is that there wasn't enough time to implement Sofia...

I will never not be amused at the fact that the 5Chan leak was the only one to support him when everyone else assumed Erdrick was the base.
And I was basically one of two people who kept pushing for Eight as an alt during the whole period, lol.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
So it seems, after watching a couple of videos, that mastering fast fall up air is very, very important. Working on that, it's a very precise move but it's pretty crucial apparently so yeah.

Hitting short characters with it is torture, and with Pichu I just give up and bait for down tilt to start a few strings.

As for alts, I'd love a few more. To be exact, I'd like to see the Dragon Quest I and VI protagonists, plus female Erdrick from Dragon Quest III and Sofia the female player character from Dragon Quest IV.

Last edited:

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
Courtesy of Cutie Gwen Cutie Gwen on Discord

Famitsu survey regarding XI, open to overseas:
I filled it out earlier today, I wrote about wanting more explicitly LGBT characters who are heroic. Sylvando was a step in the right direction but his orientation is actually never touched upon (he never shows attraction to anyone if you pay close attention), so as flamboyant as he is he technically can't be called gay.

Ironically, I forgot to say I'd like more female protagonists, oh well.

D

Deleted member

New anime and game project based on the Dragon Quest Manga Dai no Daibouken was announced at Jump Festa, if you haven't read the manga, I would totally give it a go. Its one of the best shonen mangas there is.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
New anime and game project based on the Dragon Quest Manga Dai no Daibouken was announced at Jump Festa, if you haven't read the manga, I would totally give it a go. Its one of the best shonen mangas there is.

This is amazing!

Oh man, Dai in HD looks great!! I just watched the anime in the first half of this year. Loved it! It's become one of my Top 5 anime of all time!
And they're also making a game? That's pretty awesome too! Hope they bring it here to.

Will the anime pick up where it left decades ago?
Can’t wait for the game trailer as well!

D

Deleted member

Holy ****, that is awesome!

Glad to see Square Enix doing new stuff with Dai after many years and Jump Force!

Flik

Smash Journeyman
Man, I've been dreaming about some kind of revival of Dai no Daibouken ever since his name was datamined in J-Stars Victory VS. Dai in Jump Force was the hypest I've ever been about a character adition, so I think you can imagine how I'm feeling right now :bobomb:

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
I don't watch much anime, nor read much manga, but I did happen across the old Dai anime not too long ago and watched the first episode. It was enjoyable and I didn't realize Dai was popular enough for them to keep things going into 2020 with new anime and a game project. I might get into watching the rest of the old episodes now considering how much praise you guys are giving them.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
D

Deleted member

Pardon the ignorance but... how have they heard us? Who’s the one that wrote this?
It’s from a highlight compilation of the replies Famitsu got from their Dragon Quest questionare.

Square Enix may likely catch an eye on these.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
I started playing Dragon Quest 11 S, picking up where I left off in the demo. I most recently got the magnificent circus boi Sylvando to join my party and have a couple of Pastwords already. It's pretty cool how you can switch between 3D and 2D styles. (Like when I went into Tickington, for example) I also like the Pep Powers, they were really useful when I needed them. Though I am kinda bummed that I was spoiled on who joins my party *cough*Hero'sComradesSpirit*cough*, I look forward to playing with them regardless.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I haven't been able to stop thinking about Dai no Daibouken as of late.

Like I am really excited for the new TV series, but I had brushed the game aside (Especially since DQXII is now a thing in the making).

However... how would they set it apart from the mainline DQ titles I wonder?
What if... what if Dai no Daibouken the game, takes the standard action RPG route? Partly because of people demanding a DQ aRPG for a long while, and at the same time, to get these people off the mainline DQ titles' back.

So essentially, fantasizing a bit about DND series becoming the Kingdom Hearts to DQ's Final Fantasy.
The action RPG spinoff to Dragon Quest.

How would you guys feel?

I personally love the idea more and more the more I think about it.
The thing that bugs me a bit about manga/anime adaptations though, is that they don't usually have freedom of storytelling, since they usually have to stick strictly to their source material. (So, if you already know the story of Dai no Daibouken, there's basically one less aspect of the game to look forward to). Unless they JAM PACK it with sidequests.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Really hyped about the new videogame adaptation of the Adventures Of Dai. I also feel an action RPG gameplay style would work great enough if they get it right.

I have recently felt positive about the western releases of the Switch ports for DQ Heroes 1+2, due to some recent retail listings and the great reception of DQXI S worldwide.

It overall seems like a new golden era for DQ fans.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Adding to that, it seems that Dragon Quest X might well be on its way to a Western release this year on Switch/PS4 if this retail listing is of any indication.

Please, god, let this be true. I’ve been following this game on-and-off since 2010 and I really want to be able to play through the entire mainline series, as this, VI, and VII are the only ones that I have left for completion.

Top Bottom