• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Help Pierce become the next Mario god

Famous

Smash Champion
lol, dont see how I'm not in those results...I've place top 5 on numerous occasions....

EDIT] Oh nvm, those are online/offline...and the date

Famous

Smash Champion
Lol, I remember that tourney Kadaj used Mario...I couldn't enter so he was like "This is for you Famous!"

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
If I were to just drop everything and focus completely on tourneys, I could nab some results.

I really, really can't do that right now. I wish I could, but I simply have more important things to do. I can squeeze in a tourney here or there, especially since I simply love going to them around MD/VA (despite the drama), but I can't consistently go.

Hopefully by the time Brawl dies out, I'll have had time to set aside just for Brawling.

no jones though.

Monk/Honkey/Banana

Smash Champion
Reference:
http://theviashino.com/ssbb/tournaments-2009-3.txt
http://theviashino.com/ssbb/tournaments-2009-4.txt

Mario's representation is laughable in the character rankings thread. Here's a list of all the Marios who reached top 8 between May 1st and July 12th.

7 of 18: Mar1 (Mario/Donkey Kong)
7 of 18: ThatGuy (Mario)
7 of 29: Walnut (Donkey Kong/Bowser/Mario)
2 of 25: Isaac (Peach/Mario)
1 of 22: Boss (Mario/Luigi)
7 of 39: ThatGuy (Mario)
1 of 25: Kadaj (Marth/Toon Link/Mario)
7 of 21: ThatGuy (Mario)
5 of 16: Jeffrey Oney (Mario)
my most recent results are like 25th out of 99 at gigs which I lost to only Afro in pools and then 2 people from my crew(One of which being Polmex....my teams partner)

and like 16th or something close out of 88 at FL gaming losing to Tommy G(Falco on Jungle japes...literally called Tommy Japes in FL) and MVD who trains with Afro and what not....but I guess those are unimpressive....

Just sayin'

Matt07

Smash Master
Those are really good.

But that's too bad you lost to Polmex. Friggen Luigi...

Luigi's Mansion should've never been born!

ThatGuy

Smash Master
Those results suggest that you make it through pools once or twice, then lose in the 1st or 2nd round of brackets. Angry Lobster placed higher than you with Mario at Gigs as well, but considering it was only by 1 placement he might've just gotten an easier opponent in 1st round losers or something. If you only lost to Afro in pools then you must have attained 2nd seed, so how could you lose so easily (unless you meant to say the other 2 you lost in pools to were your crew members, in which you lost to others in brackets)?

So yeah, I personally wouldn't be happy with results like that.

Monk/Honkey/Banana

Smash Champion
Those results suggest that you make it through pools once or twice, then lose in the 1st or 2nd round of brackets. Angry Lobster placed higher than you with Mario at Gigs as well, but considering it was only by 1 placement he might've just gotten an easier opponent in 1st round losers or something. If you only lost to Afro in pools then you must have attained 2nd seed, so how could you lose so easily (unless you meant to say the other 2 you lost in pools to were your crew members, in which you lost to others in brackets)?

So yeah, I personally wouldn't be happy with results like that.
Angry had to play against deadweight who comes from the weakest region in FL.... and then he lost two matches back to back...I had to play against Polmex first round after pools...who is my teammate...and knows my playstyle more than any other person... and then RedHalberd who placed 7th(With Polmex) and is the best player from MWFL....if I had beat Polmex I would have had to fight Afro again and then I would have placed 7th considering I could beat everyone Polmex did....if I had beat Halberd I would have had to fight TommyG, RX, and Lambchops(Who trained Afro)...Either way you look at it I had a difficult bracket

FL Gaming was the first tournament in FL to have Japes legal and I forgot which was my mistake against TommyG the set count was 2-1 and he HAD to go japes to beat me...MVD is like...3rd or 4th best Snake in the state first Match I had him on the ropes and then he came back and he won the set over all...before I lost to MVD I had to play against Petey Did It who has placed 5th at every gigs he has gone to...and then an IC player who just got done playing against Sensei....another Mario main

....Considering I haven't had an easy bracket in a long time and I attend tournaments MAYBE every other month...I say my results are dandy...

Just sayin'

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
*goes to wii net and watch it :3*

looking forward to it.

Edit Kays first video, I can see first 30 seconds you made alot of mistakes so l understand why you made alot of techanical errors like that full hop fair lol.

So after watching 1:30, you seem to have obvious hard time approaching Falco due to so much laser stage control. You probably dont' need a critique at all since people love to show the bad part of someone but l'll just throw out a few pointers l hope you don't take it to offense as if your n00b or something xD.

So l saw that you kept trying to approaching with fireballs SH and full hop. Remember that, falco can spam lasers faster then you can spam your fireballs. Also that you kept eating alot of lasers damage. Remember that fullhop/SH fireballs aren't too viable from long range. Take this from a melee person. Just walk and approach PS lasers. It's no where near hard to PS his lasers. He's pretty much resorting to camping with evasion as well. So once you close in, YOU STAY IN. If you see him gonna throw a phantasm, SH dair or nair should hit him out of it.

around 2mins you manage to finally gain some momentum of yourself and get the gimp so that's kewloz. you made alot of obvious techanical errors like jabbing the wrong way lol

after 2:00-2:40 = it seemed you finally started getting hang of it and manage to stay alot long inside falco's range.

@ 3:57 ish on falco's 2nd stock, loved the way you finished him off, run>read>Ps>grab>grab release>Bair to force him to edge grab> fsmash > ko.
Touche sir.

after watching the whole vid up to 4:38 l realized you did NOT use one cape stall or at least major use of it.

in 2nd vid l love how, frigate ****s you over in your like 1st? or 2nd stock? and u ended up under frigate, then on kid's last stock he ends up under the stage too lmao too good

Kanzaki

Smash Champion
I only saw parts of the first video, and skimmed through Hippie's post... yes I'm lazy, quiet >.>

But my critique, that I didn't see Hippie cover, is don't go for the full AAA combo. I do it a lot on wifi due to delay johns... and I do it offline on accident sometimes... but normally you'd want to jab -> dsmash or jab -> grab. It's good mindgames... dsmash a few times, then they learn to powershield, that's when you grab.. it even worked on DSF :D

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
I abuse the hell out of Cape vs Falco more than vs pretty much any other character. It may work for me because I've never fought a Falco that technical before, but it would've at least given you some room to breathe on that first match.

Either way, I like your Mario. Moar vidz pl0x.

Mardyke

Smash Journeyman
You amazed me in the third match with how long you lasted when the going got tough, even turning the tide on KiD Wait a minute, I'm meant to gripe about the negatives.

It's late, so I'll likely miss some key details. But one thing I can recommend for you is to be cautious about Falco's reflector. Don't let it deter your fireball game. I imagine this is hard, and I'm no expert, but it you can predict when he'll use his reflector, you might be able to abuse the aftermath lag of that move by setting it up right so that you avoid the reflector and can come down on him for an aerial. Just my two cents.

Inferno3044

Smash Master
So, I had to put down Mario for a little while to prepare for SNES. I'm back though! At No Maps, I had to drop out, but before that I lost to a Toon Link. Can we review this MU please?
We did the MU already. Look in the MU thread. It's pages 97-98. The top of page 98 has a really good write up about the MU. I'll see you use your Mario on Saturday

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
Why do all Marios lose to Toon Links?
I dunno know. I actually, I'm just bad versus TL in general, even with other characters. I win with Marth because I can just let Marth take over have him win the fight for me, but that doesn't apply to Mario, because I don't have the same kind of bond with him, so I need to actually learn the MU now. I know you're supposed to powershield and everything, but I need in depth analysis of how to fight TL. Not a ratio of the MU, and not a comparison of their tools, but tips, tricks, strategies, and knowledge of what to do.

KirinBlaze

Smash Lord
NNID
KirinBlaze
You all need to abuse onstage FLUDD against Toon Link.
It really helps out since it beats all three of his projectiles.
This is a MU you want to be full hopping a lot in as well. Like Link, Toon Link's Zair beats Fireballs. You want to full hop approach him with fireballs to escape his range, Toon Link's camping came is also very SH based. He can't do a lot of things as quickly from a FH as he could from a SH, an example being his arrow game. It's much slower from a full hop, as is almost all of his projectiles. While FHing you can also come down with cape stalls and what not, bait things and punish them. This is also a MU I like to use Matador's idea of offstage FLUDD, it helps keep those projectiles from gimping you by beating all three of them.

Nair beats his arrows and boomerang outright, so if you're looking for a SH'd aerial approach, try that.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
To add on to what Kirin's said, remember that he beats us handily in priority. That said, obviously don't try to challenge him too often in the air.

By all means, FH fireball to approach safely; it's much safer than the majority of your options. Save your Usmash for kills because of his weight. Keep fludd charged as often as possible for gimps and dimming his stage control. Also make good use of your OOS game when he uses Zair rushdown. He shouldn't be safely parading around your shrinking shield; hit the tard.

Edit: I also think Kirin knows how to DI his Fsmash properly to avoid the second hit if you didn't know how already/if he's the person I'm thinking about (pause).

JUDGE

Smash Lord
i can easy DI out of toonlink's fsmash
but his dsmash??
i know it's possible but the second slash comes out to quick for me lol
i suck i know^^

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
Umm, you said random tips...

You know about using FLUDD then air dodge just before landing to steal in charge time, right?
And if you have RCO (Mario's Up-B has RCO), use FLUDD just before landing to just.... never have to deal with it. You can go into shield, and you still lose time, but .... you're in a shield or a dodge. You can even release FLUDD if the opponent is in front at a bad spacing to get them off you.

Also, I'm in on your secret guys. Mario is definitely mid tier, lmao. People are so ignorant.
"Your secret"? ..... Dx

Hey, A2Z and you are "the big Marios"? I wanna be a big Mario!

*loads up checklist*
*scratches out a few characters*
*moves Mario up a slot*

:p

Oh, and tank Toon Link.
And CP Rainbow Cruise.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439

You know about using FLUDD then air dodge just before landing to steal in charge time, right?
And if you have RCO (Mario's Up-B has RCO), use FLUDD just before landing to just.... never have to deal with it. You can go into shield, and you still lose time, but .... you're in a shield or a dodge. You can even release FLUDD if the opponent is in front at a bad spacing to get them off you.

"Your secret"? ..... Dx

*loads up checklist*
*scratches out a few characters*
*moves Mario up a slot*

:p

Oh, and tank Toon Link.
And CP Rainbow Cruise.
This is extremely helpful

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427

You stole my ****ing secret.

Good job discovering it dude. =)

jk, I've already posted about it a long time ago explaining how you can get up from the ledge with Mario (it was a topic talking about Mario's Up-B). Mario's ledge options are pretty versatile.

You called? Are you asking me to make you better at this game?

Hit me up on AIM and I'll tell you everything that comes to my head.

Alternatively, you can wait for me to actually finish my Mario guide (which is taking unnecessarily long. <_<)

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
Umm...

I have found the most delightful tech. :bee:

I have reason to believe it's a universal mechanic, that only some characters can trigger.
I suspect it is that 'secret' you mentioned a while ago... though I suppose not, 'cause it doesn't have more than one use I can see.

Why no Q&A thread? Is there a Mario back room I can confirm this with? Don't want to ruin your secret, not being a Mario main at all.

(I lied a while ago. <_< Actually, I had an instantaneous change of heart. Link's boomerang is just too cool. :rolleyes:)

Veggi

Smash Champion
About the FLUDD to cancel RCO lag thing....

If you FLUDD you leave yourself vulnerable until you touch the ground and FLUDD does not cancel RCO lag, it only delays it until the next time Mario touches the ground. However, Mario CAN replace the RCO lag with the lag from one of his aerials. Basically, just use an aerial and end it by touching the ground to remove RCO lag.

It's more convenient to jump from the edge>fireball>uair as you hit the ground. It removes RCO lag and is an effective approach tactic from the edge. Obviously, it would get predictable just like everything would, but it's helpful.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Yeah, I usually cape away from the stage, then fastfall a spaced Bair back onstage.

Since Bair is practically lagless, even fastfalled, I'd gladly replace that lag with the RCO bull****.

Famous

Smash Champion
I called that "BUS"ing for such a long time.... Almost around the same time I discovered cape dashing and SC timing

Famous

Smash Champion
Everyone said thew knew what it was so I didn't bother...I just don't really mention anything anymore since it's probably known already

Top Bottom