• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Help Pierce become the next Mario god

Famous

Smash Champion
The thing is, he can be as high as you want him to if you put the effort in...Mario is a character that reflects a persons true skill in my opinion.....He's not too strong and not too weak either...

Though things like "infinites" shouldn't even be allowed in this game...The only thing that destroys Mario game regardless of skill

Monk/Honkey/Banana

Smash Champion
The thing is, he can be as high as you want him to if you put the effort in...Mario is a character that reflects a persons true skill in my opinion.....He's not too strong and not too weak either...
He's a middle of the road character...making him mid tier at best

I can argue this all day

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
At best, Mario is in the upper mid tier. Unless we figure out how to ACE across the stage or some crazy **** like that, he's going to stay mid tier.

Mardyke

Smash Journeyman
I approve of Mario making middle tier or upper-middle tier; that's where he's meant to be, as the most direct reflection of his player's ability. If Mario were designed to be top tier, that'd be taking the glory out of using him, and as a consequence some of the fun. :(

Famous

Smash Champion

I can argue this all day
D= To be technical Mario could pass for mid-tier...Just saying if more people tapped into his true potential more barriers will be broken...Nothing to argue about, just stating my opinion...

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
I'll tell you secrets if you drop Marth and main Mario....
No, I love Marth too much. It's so fun to just **** people sometimes. Marth is so broken.

Please, have my babies. I learned so much right here, this is amazing.

I salute you, Pierce. This thread alone has me inspired.

Please, go out there and have a blast, Mario style.
Oh, I've been doing it. It's guaranteed that No Maps on August 8th is my first tourney with Mario. I'm going to ****. I've been destroying literally EVERYONE with Mario lately. Two stocking MKs even.

pierce you coming to LI/NY this saturday? T.T
I wish, but I failed to pre-register, otherwise I would've gone. I even had a ride. I wanted to **** that tourney with Mario so badly. :(

You'll be in on my secret when you start thinking he's top tier xD
Sometimes Famous, I wonder, really.

my mario high tier probably
He really could be high tier, but I think he's upper mid.

You almost took mikehaze out so I'm pretty sure
OOOHH!!! That's why he was afraid to fight my Mario, and made me ditto him :laugh:

Mario isn't anything above mid tier
Probably not, but I wouldn't been TOO sure.

Though things like "infinites" shouldn't even be allowed in this game...The only thing that destroys Mario game regardless of skill
This. I really enjoy out-playing my opponent with Mario.

I can argue this all day
You can, but, we won't :bee:

At best, Mario is in the upper mid tier. Unless we figure out how to ACE across the stage or some crazy **** like that, he's going to stay mid tier.
Cape Gliding on Battlefield, platform cancelling on Smashville :bee:

I approve of Mario making middle tier or upper-middle tier; that's where he's meant to be, as the most direct reflection of his player's ability. If Mario were designed to be top tier, that'd be taking the glory out of using him, and as a consequence some of the fun. :(
Agreed.

So, now, I'm MORE **** with frame data. You even have discharge data, which is amazing. I can do even MORE **** things now. I was at a smashfest today, and my friend said he looked at my tag after I left, and I had 45 of 48 matches as victories, and my most played character was Mario. My friend mains MK. :bee:

Now for the serious part. I fought a really good G&W today, and I'm scared. He beat me twice. Toward the end, I figured out what I was doing wrong, but G&W is hard as hell. There aren't many in Jersey, and probably none that good and smart, so I'm not too worried, but I dropped two games (understand that I have not yet dropped more than three consecutive games with Mario except to my brother's MK, and I've only dropped more than two games in a row twice since I started taking him seriously. This was just because I was learning a new match-up, like Fox or something, and then I would resume ******). Naturally, I would like a refresher on the G&W match-up.

Also, you guys are great. Everytime I go out and **** with Mario, I just think of how friendly and supportive you all are, and winning really means something to me, because of you guys. Seriously, thanks for all your help. My Mario is good, but it wouldn't be this good without all of your assistance. Seriously, every little bit helps a lot.

EDIT: I'm hopping on AIM for a bit. Please IM me. My AIM is the same as my smashboards name.

Monk/Honkey/Banana

Smash Champion
D= To be technical Mario could pass for mid-tier...Just saying if more people tapped into his true potential more barriers will be broken...Nothing to argue about, just stating my opinion...
His true potential is that he's a mediocre character with situational tactics....

Just sayin'

condemned_soul

Smash Champion
lol the more mario mains the better. Just because he mid tier does not mean he cant own anyone. I like mario the way he is. Mario FTW

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
I was saying that because that's his position on the tier list. It doesn't mean I actually believe it.
I'm going to impart to you the words I've lived by for the majority of my life...

The Cake is a Lie.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
I made so many errors and dropped a set in a MM today! I'm so sad. It'll be uploaded. As you see, I make quite a few errors, but you'll be able to take a glance at my basic gameplay. I'll link you when the vids come out.

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
I made so many errors and dropped a set in a MM today! I'm so sad. It'll be uploaded. As you see, I make quite a few errors, but you'll be able to take a glance at my basic gameplay. I'll link you when the vids come out.
Would you have any other videos from today up? :p

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
Would you have any other videos from today up? :p
Well, that's all on J.G.. We set up the recording really late, so I didn't get time to get up too many matches, but the rest is Marth stuff, which is not interesting (except me vs. Vanz, because his Peach is stupidly legit.

So, check with J.G.. I should've used Mario in draft crews :(

Inferno3044

Smash Master
It's about **** time! You finally say it and we are finally on the same page. I have said this multiple times to you and I'm happy that you understand now. I know more than any of these guys here that your Mario is very legit. I know you can kick some MK *** and you will. When I get back, we are doing some Mario dittos. I already started to develop some of your playstyle and use it in my own game.

Oh don't worry, I'm very good at this match-up. I can't wait to wreck ADHD with Mario! MUAHAHAHAHA!!
Funny. I'm gonna see if I can get so training in with ADHD for the next two weeks. He is at my camp oddly.

Famous

Smash Champion
There is good with the bad, you've just stated bad...How mediocre Mario is and whatnot...What's worse than a main talking badly about his character?

Nobodys sugar coating anything...Yeah I go around the boards saying how good Mario can be, only because I want to spark peoples interest to pick him up...I bust my a$$ thinking of ways to make Mario look appealing and how well he could play given the right training and effort...I'm sure you all do too

DtJ XeroXen

The biggest fraud
NNID
XeroXen
Mario simply -IS- a mediocre character. It doesn't mean people can't excel with him, it doesn't mean people can't win tournaments with him. It means that they have to work harder to achieve the desired effect. Now I go all Mario at every tourney I've been to, I hardly doubt a bit of extra effort on people's parts will keep them from playing Mario if they do so desire.

Mario can be good in the right hands, but ultimately, he's not a great character, that doesn't stop me (or most of you guys) from maining him to our fullest extent. Blah blah blah, *insert awesome quote here* and I'm done.

EDIT: I believe Mario is definantly mid-tier material, probably middle-mid tier. But that's just my opinion.

BoTastic!

Smash Master
NNID
BoScotty
it doesn't mean people can't win tournaments with him
I wish this was true. Well at least with tournaments with a lot of competition

Mario can pull out his own. But we need to remember that he isn't that good.

I understand Famous' cause though.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Don't let Diddy intimidate you either. Mario wrecks his recovery pretty bad...I daresay better than MK.
I eat Diddys for breakfast.

And there's nothing wrong with dedication to Mario, but much like how I second Ike and Link, there's always a time where you just know there's a better character.

Inferno3044

Smash Master
First of all, Mario is NOT mediocre. Mediocre means ordinary or unimpressive. Mario has an Fsmash with amazing range, a reflector, a water squirter to halt attacks, a good juggling game, and so many tools to gimp people. Few characters have a big advantage over us. We are only low tier now because those characters are top tier like MK, D3, and GW. If you can fight top level characters like MK and Snake, then it will be placed highly. (eg. Wario) Mario is a balanced character who just needs people to represent his abilities. Boss and Famous have some insane videos of Mario dittos.

Matt07

Smash Master
Mario's also bad because no one uses him in tournaments. A bunch of us can't/don't go, or they're working their ***** off to get ranked.

And some meet a Dedede.

ThatGuy

Smash Master
Reference:
http://theviashino.com/ssbb/tournaments-2009-3.txt
http://theviashino.com/ssbb/tournaments-2009-4.txt

Mario's representation is laughable in the character rankings thread. Here's a list of all the Marios who reached top 8 between May 1st and July 12th.

7 of 18: Mar1 (Mario/Donkey Kong)
7 of 18: ThatGuy (Mario)
7 of 29: Walnut (Donkey Kong/Bowser/Mario)
2 of 25: Isaac (Peach/Mario)
1 of 22: Boss (Mario/Luigi)
7 of 39: ThatGuy (Mario)
1 of 25: Kadaj (Marth/Toon Link/Mario)
7 of 21: ThatGuy (Mario)
5 of 16: Jeffrey Oney (Mario)

Over a span of 2 1/2 months, we have only 9 top 8's? 3 of which were myself. Mar1 only uses DK anyways (I was at that tournament); I think he used Mario for a couple matches. None of us know Walnut, Isaac, or Jeffrey Oney, so take a look at their competition and make your own judgement about their placings. Kadaj getting a win with Mario is funny to me, but sadly the only notable I see that he beat was SK, and I'm assuming he used Marth for that matchup. Seriously, the only notable result I see is Boss's win; I'm proud of my 7/39 performance when I went to Mississauga but it's not enough to really matter in the grand scheme of things.

Until we, the Mario players that are supposed to matter, actually start getting some half-decent results, I will definately accept the fact that Mario is a mediocre character. We're 33/36 in the character rankings list, and completely random results from random tournaments that shouldn't have to matter are keeping us afloat.

Top Bottom