• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Heir to the Monado. Shulk General Discussion/Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

erico9001

You must find your own path to the future.
NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
Well... there are a lot of characters to reveal before the Japan release, 44 days from now, assuming they only intend on having a few unrevealed characters.

Well, they will have to reveal the characters somehow. They can go the direction of PotD reveals like with Paulutena, multiple character reveals like with Robin, and a Smash direct. I don't have too large of a preference for which way they should use primarily, but it has been a while since they revealed someone in the PotD. Maybe tonight, eh?

-

So,I thought of something fun to do. I'm going to post all of Shulk's non-Monado arts, and we can take each one and say what we think it could do in Smash and what button input we would assign it to.
  • Slit Edge - Damages single target. Attacking the target's side will reduce Physical Defence.
  • Back Slash - Damages single target. Attacking the target's back will cause double damage (also generates aggro).
  • Light Heal - Restores HP to a single ally.
  • Shaker Edge - Damages single target, Dazes if target is Toppled
  • Air Slash - Damage and inflict Break on a single target. A side hit may inflict Slow.
  • Shadow Eye - Reduces aggro and increases damage of next physical arts
  • Battle Soul - Sacrifices half of Shulk's HP to refill a portion of his talent gauge
  • Stream Edge - Damages multiple enemies in front of Shulk, inflicts Break and fills talent gauge
Get to it!
I'm game.

:GCB:
Slit edge - Not a very high knockback but after this is used the enemy takes more damage from hits for a few seconds
:GCCR: or :GCR::GCA:
Back Slash - Bonus damage from the back like with Robin's Nosferatu.
:GCD::GCB:
Light Heal - Special move that heals the user but is only usable every so often (as to not be op and replicates the in-game cooldown effect)
:GCCD: or :GCD::GCA:
Shaker Edge - Shulk does part of a spin on start up, progresses the spin a little when holding the smash, and then swings sword low and around him in order to face his original direction. Hits enemies from either side of him. Perhaps if they have been slipped by one of Diddy's banana peels they get dazed, lol.
(Air):GCR::GCA:

Air Slash - Shulk swings his sword in an under hand swing like he does in the game. Perhaps slows the opponents down for a little bit if it connects (seems op though)
Shadow Eye - Shulk becomes invisible and his next attack has increased power?
Battle Soul - Changes Shulk's next attack into a powerful monado art , which one is based on what move is used next? (Personally, I would just have monado arts as special attacks but I guess this is possible)
:GCR::GCR::GCA:
Stream Edge - Well here's an interesting idea I had. Shulk uses stream edge as his dash attack. Kinda prepares for the attack before he does a jump and during the jump he lets out the slash. Movement ends when his feet hit the ground.
When he uses it in the Xenoblade, he does jump forward a bit if my memory is correct.

Last edited:

Hokori

Great King of Evil
Beat me to it. I also see air slash as a F-Air. It could work as an U-Tilt too. But other than that:
Stream Edge - I see this working as a F-Tilt that does mediocre damage but damages shields really well.
Hm, I think I like Slit Edge as F-Tilt (to serve as a poker; solid shield damage as well) and have D-Tilt be Stream Edge as @ TitanTeaTime TitanTeaTime suggested.

Well, I'm currently designing a moveset with Stream Edge assigned to DTilt, Air Slash assigned to Up-B, Shaker Edge assigned to Side-B and Back Slash assigned to FTilt. It's a bit strange, but there's a good reason for it to do with the main gimmick.
Light Heal, Shadow Eye and Battle Soul all seem like they would fit as Down-B moves, where Light Heal could work as long as it's not too much (healing as an ability wasn't seen in Smash until Robin in the first place), Shadow Eye could simply increase your defences (though Monado Armour could also work for that) and Battle Soul would only really be useful with the talent gauge as the moveset's gimmick.
Would you have Light Heal function as a recovery move that functions like Ivysaur's in PM, or recovery a small, fixed amount? If it's like Ivysaur's, the drawback is having to find the time to recover, it's cool-down period after release, and you only get 1% every half second or so? As for a fixed amount, the drawback probably needs to focus more on the cool-down of the move. Curious to hear more on how you envisioned it.

Last edited:

TitanTeaTime

Smash Lord
NNID
TitanTeaTime
3DS FC
2165-6601-4781
Hm, I think I like Slit Edge as F-Tilt (to serve as a poker; solid shield damage as well) and have D-Tilt be Stream Edge as @ TitanTeaTime TitanTeaTime suggested.

Would you have Light Heal function as a recovery move that functions like Ivysaur's in PM, or recovery a small, fixed amount? If it's like Ivysaur's, the drawback is having to find the time to recover, it's cool-down period after release, and you only get 1% every half second or so? As for a fixed amount, the drawback probably needs to focus more on the cool-down of the move. Curious to hear more on how you envisioned it.
Ah, I forgot about Ivysaur. It's mostly just that they would have to have some kind of major downside, otherwise he'd be able to avoid the opponent and heal off everything that they had taken. I can see the long cooldown time working for it though, as unlike Ivysaur's ability it's more of an instant heal. So like 10%, but he cools down for about 2-3 seconds which is long enough to punish if he's caught unaware.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Shadow eye drops aggro, any idea on how that aspect of the move could be replicated? Perhaps it could somehow position you behind an opponent, which would be ideal if black slash actually is in his moveset. I don't know, just throwing out ideas.

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
I personally think that slit edge could work as a D-Tilt instead. It could function like Marths D-Tilt but slower. Stream edge's range would fit a F-Tilt more imo.

Hokori

Great King of Evil
Ah, I forgot about Ivysaur. It's mostly just that they would have to have some kind of major downside, otherwise he'd be able to avoid the opponent and heal off everything that they had taken. I can see the long cooldown time working for it though, as unlike Ivysaur's ability it's more of an instant heal. So like 10%, but he cools down for about 2-3 seconds which is long enough to punish if he's caught unaware.
In-game time 2-3 seconds is like the duration of Ganondorf's Warlock Punch, so that's pretty long. Long enough to really bring down the move's usage since the only time it'll likely get used is either upon KO'ing the opponent or giving up on edgeguarding to recover instead. Otherwise, that 10% recovered will mean nothing after taking a possibly charged Smash Attack that can deal out 20+%. So once again, it would be up to the user to decide opportunity costs, fair enough. I will also say that the thing I like about Ivysaur's recovery in PM (aside from sweetspotting certain attacks/pummeling) is that it's not exactly 'broken'. Since you recover just 1% at a time, and even if you don't 'charge' the move, you have to wait out the move's duration, so it's manageable.

TwentyTwo

Smash Ace

By the way, SOMEONE had to have inflicted this daze status.....
I'm pretty much ready to pin my hopes and dreams on this. I have a lot of faith in Sakurai to get Shulk right, but at the same time there are some adaptations that kind of worry me. Ike being a prime example because he was slow in brawl but had a very good speed stat in Path of Radiance/Radiant Dawn.

By the way, played the game at comic-con, super fun stuff.

MegaLagann

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MegaLagann
Shadow eye drops aggro, any idea on how that aspect of the move could be replicated? Perhaps it could somehow position you behind an opponent, which would be ideal if black slash actually is in his moveset. I don't know, just throwing out ideas.
Maybe Shadow Eye can drop the amount of damage you take for a limited time? That's the best I can come up with.

By the way, SOMEONE had to have inflicted this daze status.....
I totally forgot about this...Shulk confirmed! But really this, like Robin's Nosferactu, gives me a better feeling about Shulk.

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
So what's been going on in this thread? Any fun pictures or gifs?

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Hey, who was it I need to message about the super fun social group with Bronados?

Solfiner

NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
Yeah, it's @ Hokori Hokori ! We haven't really started talking a lot, so you havent missed much.

Last edited:

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Let's not let the actual Shulk thread slow down though, thought we actually had a really constructive and on topic day today!

Solfiner

NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
Let's not let the actual Shulk thread slow down though, thought we actually had a really constructive and on topic day today!
Agreed. But it's still a nice group to have.

erico9001

You must find your own path to the future.
NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
So what's been going on in this thread? Any fun pictures or gifs?
Hey, who was it I need to message about the super fun social group with Bronados?
There's your answer.
-
I've got like 11 hours left in my day :p
-
You know, with all the gifs/images that have been made for this thread, I'm surprised there hasn't been many made with a message of support for Shulk being in Smash 4 :3.
-
edit: Here's what Monado Buster might look like as a Final Smash.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
So, I heard there was a Shulk thread social group? If I may ask, what kind of discussion goes on there? ;;

GM_3826

Smash Journeyman
A lot of the social group threads remind me of Nightfall on another forum. Pretty much 99% off-topic discussion unless an update rolls around... for a few days, max.

D

Deleted member

Monado Buster makes more sense as special move for Shulk. It's not the best idea they could go with as a Final Smash. I can see Monado Cyclone or a Chain Attack be his Final Smash.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
What happened to that event thing where we would learn more about the roster?
You mean the CoroCoro thing? I kind of doubt they'd leak the whole roster; they'd probably just tell us stuff we already know. *shrug* If memory serves I don't think they did show off the whole Brawl roster, but didn't they actually leak some things related to Pokemon X/Y?

Monado Buster makes more sense as special move for Shulk. It's not the best idea they could go with as a Final Smash. I can see Monado Cyclone or a Chain Attack be his Final Smash.
Yeah, Monado Buster could be a standard B, while for a FS I'm thinking more Monado Purge with an added auto-shield break/disabling B moves for a few seconds, like how it functions in game?

Last edited:

GM_3826

Smash Journeyman
You mean the CoroCoro thing? I kind of doubt they'd leak the whole roster; they'd probably just tell us stuff we already know. *shrug* If memory serves I don't think they did show off the whole Brawl roster, but didn't they actually leak some things related to Pokemon X/Y?
It's actually been confirmed that the Corocoro thing was mistranslated. They're not showing off the whole roster: Just everyone revealed so far.

SamTheMan711

Smash Apprentice

Yeah, Monado Buster could be a standard B, while for a FS I'm thinking more Monado Purge with an added auto-shield break/disabling B moves for a few seconds, like how it functions in game?
No I really couldn't see purge as an FS, mabey a chain attack with Reyn and Dunban?
(edit)- only four of us here? were is everybody? guess the hypes dead :(

Last edited:

Andyjoe522

Smash Ace
NNID
Andyjoe522
I've pretty much said all I have to say as far as his Final Smash is concerned. The chain attack feels like it would make for a far more fitting Final Smash than choosing what's basically just one of Shulk's eight Talent Arts.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
I've pretty much said all I have to say as far as his Final Smash is concerned. The chain attack feels like it would make for a far more fitting Final Smash than choosing what's basically just one of Shulk's eight Talent Arts.
A vision cut scene would also be acceptable.

Pega-pony Princess

Smash Lord
NNID
auraoftwilight
3DS FC
2938-6383-8579
There's your answer.
-

-
You know, with all the gifs/images that have been made for this thread, I'm surprised there hasn't been many made with a message of support for Shulk being in Smash 4 :3.
-
Looks neat, but I think buster would be a better special attack, or perhaps a smash attack.

Since we're speaking of final smashes...

I was wondering...Since Robin isn't being controlled by Grima in her final smash, how about instead Shulk becomes controlled by Zanza for a short time?

Andyjoe522

Smash Ace
NNID
Andyjoe522
Looks neat, but I think buster would be a better special attack, or perhaps a smash attack.

I was wondering...Since Robin isn't being controlled by Grima in her final smash, how about instead Shulk becomes controlled by Zanza for a short time?
I object to that final smash idea for the same reason I object to Robin using Grima in his/her final smash. It just feels like it conflicts with the character, who's goal is ultimately to overcome the mad god that's made a claim on his existence. Having Robin use Grima or Shulk use Zanza for their final smash would go against much of the morals and goals of their respective stories. The chain attack/ summoning Chrom makes for much better final smashes for these characters than summoning Zanza/Grima would.

Last edited:

GuyWithTheFace

Harbinger of smut and drag queens
NNID
GuyWithTheFace23
3DS FC
5413-0018-1146

Eh... Zanza never directly controls Shulk. Moreover, he influences Shulk. I'd prefer a chain attack final smash, to let us see other party members, and because my headcanon for Smash is that for the most part, it takes place after the individual games. Ya know, after Zanza's long gone. With exceptions for Ganondorf, 'cause he dead after his game.

xLemmy_KoopaX

Bring me my booty!
NNID
xLemmy_KoopaX
To anyone who wants into our social group:
The non-premiums of us can't invite more people because of a 10-person limit. However, premiums can invite so that more than 10 persons can be there; to be exact, 50.
This means you must ask @KingofZeroX or @ Hokori Hokori if you want an invitation. And you want an invitation.

Last edited:

Andyjoe522

Smash Ace
NNID
Andyjoe522
There's your answer.
-

-
-
Considering the weapon he's using there, you might want to edit in a spoiler tag on that gif.

SkittleE

Smash Journeyman
So guys, I was playing Xenoblade... and I had to share this valuable info. We have things like the Adam Howden tweet that we're pinning our hopes on, can we use this as solid evidence of Shulk being confirmed for Smash? :troll:

Let's analyse this further :troll:
  • Shulk's visions has been confirmed to come true without Shulk's intervention
  • Xenoblade Chronicles is a Nintendo game, same company that makes Smash
  • Smash appearing in Xenoblade, Xenoblade appearing in Smash.
I dunno guys, I think I might be onto something.

Edit:
Let's pretend this vision didn't end in Shulk dying, okay? Okay.
Is it sad that I think I recognize that location exactly?

Wait, there's a social group made specifically for our shenanigans? Gosh damn, I need to pay attention more often.

Sheddy

Smash Ace
NNID
bwolfy1995
3DS FC
4484-7885-0842
Shulk will probably be better than anything we had imagined, like with Robin and Rosalina. *~*
believe it or not Robin played exactly like he does only thing I did not think was the Levin sword and the whole limited use not that I think that's bad if Robin did not have a limit use he'd be way to OP I got a feeling he'll be top tier since his attacks seem to do so much damage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom