• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Heir to the Monado. Shulk General Discussion/Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

erico9001

You must find your own path to the future.
NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
Monado Buster makes more sense as special move for Shulk. It's not the best idea they could go with as a Final Smash. I can see Monado Cyclone or a Chain Attack be his Final Smash.
I disagree because of the size and power of the attack. I can't imagine Monado Buster scaled down while still looking like a Monado Buster.

Monado Buster is pretty powerful in-game too, so that's why I think if anything the range of the attack would need to be cut down for it to work as a special. It wouldn't work if the power was cut instead, because if you think of it, you're using your monado beam in your other attacks to cut people up, but when you get a larger, more menacing looking beam and attack with that then the attack is weaker?

While I do see the chain attack as the other option, I haven't seen an idea for it that really works. Alone, it's really similar to Robin's final smash, eliminating the 'unique appeal' it used to have, and I would imagine that if it requires the timed hitting of the B button, like Sora's FS in Super Smash Flash 2 or DK's FS in Brawl/Smash 4, it would be annoying... especially to people who haven't played Xenoblade. Tbh, the average person doesn't want to have to do work in order to make their final smash effective.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
There's a social group now?

Isn't this a social group already?

Hype Train

Woolly World hype!!
NNID
YesMann
3DS FC
0860-3788-1263
I disagree because of the size and power of the attack. I can't imagine Monado Buster scaled down while still looking like a Monado Buster.

Monado Buster is pretty powerful in-game too, so that's why I think if anything the range of the attack would need to be cut down for it to work as a special. It wouldn't work if the power was cut instead, because if you think of it, you're using your monado beam in your other attacks to cut people up, but when you get a larger, more menacing looking beam and attack with that then the attack is weaker?
I dunno about any of that. Tbh, I think Monado Buster would be better suited as a smash attack that works just like the Beam Sword did in Brawl. So like, the longer you charge the attack, the longer the range is and the stronger the hit gets. It doesn't need to be a gimped special move, much less a Final Smash, imo.

Sheddy

Smash Ace
NNID
bwolfy1995
3DS FC
4484-7885-0842
:(

At any rate, lets say that Shulk's final smash wont be manado buster, cyclone, chain attack, or the thing I suggested. What else could it be you think?
vision my idea of a counter final smash being hard to land but if you do it's almost a OHK

GM_3826

Smash Journeyman
Shulk's Final Smash would ideally be something created for Smash, because there seems to be little in the way of high level moves to implement.
Possibly, we could have a MONADO FINISH move that basically replaces the Triple Finish from Brawl.

ZXMechonHunter

Smash Journeyman
I'm still sticking to a chain attack or a vision for his FS, with a vision being more likely.
I can't remember who, feel free to remind me, but someone brought up the idea of the screen turning the usual wavy grey, players have a few seconds to scatter all over the place to avoid Shulk, and once that's done they're locked in that movement until they've been hit. I feel like that'd be the best possible way to do visions. Unless...
Maybe if Shulk dodges an attack, for a split second, his attack doubles and he pulls off a powerful counter strike. Do we have a character that can do that yet? Just throwing ideas out there.

SkittleE

Smash Journeyman
I'd like to see him using one of those dolls from Xenoblade X. Might be a neat way to promote that game, you know?
Urgh, I actually really hate that idea. It makes no sense, and it seems like a bit of a conflict of interests for Shulk, doesn't it?

The idea I like the most is the vision idea. I came up with it on my own, and then for the few months I was lurking in this thread before I made an account I was dying whenever someone asked about a potential FS, because I wanted to say my idea so badly. And then someone finally mentioned it and that was a massive relief.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Not my favorite idea for a final smash, but
having the Monado become the true Monado giving Shulk access to unlimited Monado Arts
could work.

DuwangAnon

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0516-7668-7793
Shulk's Final Smash would ideally be something created for Smash, because there seems to be little in the way of high level moves to implement.
Possibly, we could have a MONADO FINISH move that basically replaces the Triple Finish from Brawl.
Monado Throw. Shulk throws the Monado at the opponent. If it connects, he then suplexes the target for an OHKO. I'm dead serious.

Enyalb

Hardcore Wonder-Casual Dragoon
NNID
BLAYNEproject
3DS FC
5300-9911-6250
All this talk of XCX makes me want a stage from that game to be included already, along with the traditional Xenoblade stage of course. I choose this as my stage rep.

Off-topic to smash, did anyone else catch this before?
EDIT: Fixed link.

Last edited:

Hype Train

Woolly World hype!!
NNID
YesMann
3DS FC
0860-3788-1263
Urgh, I actually really hate that idea. It makes no sense, and it seems like a bit of a conflict of interests for Shulk, doesn't it?
I think it would be très cool and that's all I care about, really. Although come to think of it, if we were to get a rep for Xenoblade X in a hypothetical SSB5, then I could see why giving Shulk this FS might end up being redundant. I really like the chain-attack and vision* ideas people have been throwing around too though, so I'm all good either way.

*If his FS isn't him having a vision and stuff, then I'd like to see his eyes glowing blue every time he dodges as a nod to that mechanic. That would be a neat touch, imo.

Last edited:

Pega-pony Princess

Smash Lord
NNID
auraoftwilight
3DS FC
2938-6383-8579
All this talk of XCX makes me want a stage from that game to be included already, along with the traditional Xenoblade stage of course. I choose this as my stage rep.

Taking it with a grain of salt, but interesting...If that is the Bionis, that would definitely mean that the guy we saw in the first X trailer was connected to Shulk somehow. Awesome.

ZXMechonHunter

Smash Journeyman

THAT, that right there!
Spoilers for the ending of Xenoblade:
At the end of Xenoblade, the Bionis crumbles up, signifying the lack of Gods in the new world, but it's remains linger in the sea. In the trailers for X, there's signs of more remains of the Bionis and the Mechonis. Like in the second trailer, in the sandy area where the Gear transforms into a tank thing, if you look in the background you can see giant circle'd structures, very similar to the bits around the shoulder of the Mechonis. HAS to be the same planet. Or it could be coincidence.

Also, @ Hokori Hokori what's this about a social thread? Is it like the sidequest where I have to get a membership card from a drunk Nopon to get in?

Hokori

Great King of Evil
[/spoiler]

Also, @ Hokori Hokori what's this about a social thread? Is it like the sidequest where I have to get a membership card from a drunk Nopon to get in?
Basically, it's just a convo Shulk members are using for more off-topic discussion rather than having this place flooded with hype train posts, etc. We'll still be posting and making jokes in here obviously, but it'll be more focused on Shulk rather than everyone else :laugh:

Derp Version: It's a group within a group where Shulk supporters talk about any and everything. Free Monados inside. But you have to say the magic word.

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Basically, it's just a convo Shulk members are using for more off-topic discussion rather than having this place flooded with hype train posts, etc. We'll still be posting and making jokes in here obviously, but it'll be more focused on Shulk rather than everyone else :laugh:

Derp Version: It's a group within a group where Shulk supporters talk about any and everything. Free Monados inside. But you have to say the magic word.
Is the magic word hype? Please? Abracadabra? Alacazam? PLS LET ME IN

Andyjoe522

Smash Ace
NNID
Andyjoe522
I still stand by the Chain Attack as being our best idea for a Final Smash. Especially as far as representing the game itself is concerned. Visions just feel way too common to be a strong final smash, and the ideas tossed around thus far have yet to really sell me on it. As for Monado Buster, like I said, that's pretty much just choosing one of Shulk's eight talent arts as a final smash (which is why I honestly prefer the idea of just incorporating the talent gauge into Shulk's moveset).

Last edited:

Kikkipoptart12

Smash Champion
NNID
Kikkipop 12
3DS FC
0104-0018-0045

Hey Hokori I would love to add me to the social thread.

Noiblade

Smash Journeyman
NNID
47keyblader
I guess i'll join the hype images train. (Fun fact, while I was making this it was originally going to be a gif but my my PC thought it would be a good idea to crash right before I saved)

Everest

Smash Cadet
A bit late too catch up all the discussions I missed.

Stil for what I've read, I must agree : IMO chain attacks may be the more representative Final Smash for Xenoblade.
It could act differently from Robin's FS (which in my opinion looks a lot like Ike and Greninja's FS) so it would avoid being redundant. Maybe with each characters slashing through the screen a bit like the ninja girls from the Wario AT.
Not great but I would be a bit sad if all the new FS from SSB4 are like "taking you in the air and slashing/hitting/burning your face till you die"

TitanTeaTime

Smash Lord
NNID
TitanTeaTime
3DS FC
2165-6601-4781
Requesting to join the conversation is fine as long as the requests to join the conversation aren't suddenly as spammy as everything else that this thread was
Come on, we almost had a completely productive thread today

Last edited:

Sheddy

Smash Ace
NNID
bwolfy1995
3DS FC
4484-7885-0842
so what does everyone think of shulk when he uses his FS if it is chain link what you think if the party member depending on who comes out does different effects

Last edited:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Ooh ooh! Me me me! I love conversations, and I love Xenoblade. Put them together, and you don't even wanna know...

But seriously add me.

Hokori

Great King of Evil
To follow up on @ TitanTeaTime TitanTeaTime 's post, just leave a comment on my profile or PM and I'll add you. Convo talk will simply stay in the convo.

Stil for what I've read, I must agree : IMO chain attacks may be the more representative Final Smash for Xenoblade.
It could act differently from Robin's FS (which in my opinion looks a lot like Ike and Greninja's FS) so it would avoid being redundant. Maybe with each characters slashing through the screen a bit like the ninja girls from the Wario AT.
Not great but I would be a bit sad if all the new FS from SSB4 are like "taking you in the air and slashing/hitting/burning your face till you die"
Yeah, Robin's FS is representation of the Pair-Up system in Awakening. While I do believe Chain Attack would be perfect (one of my biggest reasons honestly is just to see more Xenoblade rep, assuming we only get like one rep for an Assist Trophy), the presentation of it will be key. Like, how it's set up, what exactly happens during the attack, how it ends, those details. Redundancy ain't no joke.

@ Sheddy Sheddy & @ Banjodorf Banjodorf - I'll add you guys, but I hope you didn't overlook what @ TitanTeaTime TitanTeaTime just said :/

Last edited:

erico9001

You must find your own path to the future.
NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292

I don't get why people are hating so much on Monado Buster as a FS. It's one of Shulk's most iconic moves, if not the most iconic move, and it does not at all work as a special or a smash. It's way too big and powerful. If it's not big, it's just not monado buster. Think about how long the beamsword item is when it is fully extended. Ask yourself "Is that Monado Buster?" Even if that could qualify, an attack of that reach would still be op.

-
I wish to join this soical custer**** shulk page plz
Could you guys ask to join the group in a pm?

Last edited:

GuyWithTheFace

Harbinger of smut and drag queens
NNID
GuyWithTheFace23
3DS FC
5413-0018-1146
I don't get why people are hating so much on Monado Buster as a FS. It's one of Shulk's most iconic moves, if not the most iconic move, and it does not at all work as a special or a smash. It's way too big and powerful. If it's not big, it's just not monado buster. Think about how long the beamsword item is when it is fully extended. Ask yourself "Is that Monado Buster?" Even if that could qualify, an attack of that reach would still be op.
It's just that it's kinda boring. *Shrug* I just want chain attack so Shulk's friends get a cameo.

Andyjoe522

Smash Ace
NNID
Andyjoe522

-

Could you guys ask to join the group in a pm?
That's in part why I'm hoping for the talent gauge to be incorporated into Shulk's moveset. Yes, Monado Buster would be powerful, but that power would be offset by not being able to spam it, and having to decide which Monado art would be best for your current situation.

Sheddy

Smash Ace
NNID
bwolfy1995
3DS FC
4484-7885-0842
That's in part why I'm hoping for the talent gauge to be incorporated into Shulk's moveset. Yes, Monado Buster would be powerful, but that power would be offset by not being able to spam it, and having to decide which Monado art would be best for your current situation.
sort of like robin but instead of a limit use a timer

ZXMechonHunter

Smash Journeyman
I'll add to the Buster thing.
The talent guage is something you work towards filling up in Xenoblade. You fill it up and it's either "Alright, gonna use it right away" or "I'm gonna save it for an emergency". Getting a smash ball just for Buster just destroys that mentality to me. And Buster's just a big sword strike. That's why I want a Talent Gauge specifically in Shulk's moveset, so the Monado is better represented than a bigger sword strike.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
I always envisioned chain attack as being a cut scene, like Megaman's final smash. It wouldn't really be anything like Robin's final smash in that case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom