• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Heir to the Monado. Shulk General Discussion/Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

erico9001

You must find your own path to the future.
NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
It's just that it's kinda boring. *Shrug* I just want chain attack so Shulk's friends get a cameo.
Yeah, there's that. Although, I think Sakurai could make it a lot cooler looking than mine if he (and his team) were to do it.

Actually, here's what I think is the best application of the chain attack.

After the initial move which gets the opponent(s) trapped in the final smash, damage is done on the opponent(s) for three hits before the B timings start coming. That way, even if the player using the final smash messes up, they still get something out of it. If they make it all the way to the end, perhaps Shulk finishes it with like Monado Buster or something.

Andyjoe522

Smash Ace
NNID
Andyjoe522
Yeah, there's that. Although, I think Sakurai could make it a lot cooler looking than mine if he (and his team) were to do it.

After the initial move which gets the opponent(s) trapped in the final smash, damage is done on the opponent(s) for three hits before the B timings start coming. That way, even if the player using the final smash messes up, they still get something out of it. If they make it all the way to the end, perhaps Shulk finishes it with like Monado Buster or something.
That's pretty much what I had in mind with my outline for the Chain Attack. Only difference is that the number of strikes was preset and that the b events would give a bonus to the amount of damage dealt. Granted after getting back into my playthrough of Xenoblade and remembering the exact mechanics for how the Chain attack works, your description does make more sense in the context of the game.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117

I think the B timing should start on the first hit. I know the press 'b' QTE is only for additional rounds of chain attacks in the game, but it would make sense to start off doing it for a Final Smash.

Hokori

Great King of Evil
I'll add to the Buster thing.
The talent guage is something you work towards filling up in Xenoblade. You fill it up and it's either "Alright, gonna use it right away" or "I'm gonna save it for an emergency". Getting a smash ball just for Buster just destroys that mentality to me. And Buster's just a big sword strike. That's why I want a Talent Gauge specifically in Shulk's moveset, so the Monado is better represented than a bigger sword strike.
Pretty much my sentiments exactly.

I like, I like. Chain Attack is the main focus, Monado Buster can get some more love too. We can still keep the Talent Gauge. Everybody happy.

Burruni

Smash Hero
Ladies and Gentlemen, I greet you as a fellow supporter of Shulk. To try to best understand the character before the reveal I see as a matter of when, not if, I picked up Xenoblade Chronicles and am about 96 hours into the game, over 400 quests done, at the point of Inner Bionis Second Visit. With the recent events, there is one thing I wanted to see people's opinions for.

With this being the Kirby Hat for Robin (possibly Male Robin solely, FemRobin having a different one)... what would Shulk's Kirby Hat be to help differentiate from this one? I feel that Shulk's hair is of a very similar style and a fairly similar shade. While a minor detail, it is still one that I feel is significant about how the character integrates into smash.

Andyjoe522

Smash Ace
NNID
Andyjoe522
Ladies and Gentlemen, I greet you as a fellow supporter of Shulk. To try to best understand the character before the reveal I see as a matter of when, not if, I picked up Xenoblade Chronicles and am about 96 hours into the game, over 400 quests done, at the point of Inner Bionis Second Visit. With the recent events, there is one thing I wanted to see people's opinions for.

With this being the Kirby Hat for Robin (possibly Male Robin solely, FemRobin having a different one)... what would Shulk's Kirby Hat be to help differentiate from this one? I feel that Shulk's hair is of a very similar style and a fairly similar shade. While a minor detail, it is still one that I feel is significant about how the character integrates into smash.
Well, obviously it would be blond rather than silver. Also, he could get a little Monado to carry around on his back. :)

Burruni

Smash Hero
Well, obviously it would be blond rather than silver. Also, he could get a little Monado to carry around on his back. :)
Like this:
I see. Thanks. I was just a bit curious. I feel like the Monado on the back will be what really helps Shulk's kirby hat sticks out. Maybe that's just me being a bit cynical of how similar the two characters' hair look.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue

Someone should edit that screenshot to make Kirby's hair blond like Shulk's.

MooseSmuggler

Linkle Linkle Little Star
NNID
MooseSmuggler
3DS FC
3368-1611-2687

I'm in agreement with the idea of the hair being more blond and him having a little Monado.

Also, @ BluePikmin11 BluePikmin11 we got another one.

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172
When people are talking about implementing the Talent Gauge, how do you mean? Do you mean like Little Mac and his K.O. Uppercut? If so, Monado Buster would need to be weaker or easier to dodge considering the tiny range the Uppercut has and large range Buster has.

Like this:

ShulKirby would be adorable!

Last edited:

Theotakugirl9

Smash Apprentice
What if high entia tomb was a stage and it could change like a hole opens on the floor and it takes you to another area there

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209

The hairstyle are remarkably similar, now that I think about it but it looks better on Robin.

Well, obviously Shulk's hat would be blonde hair. Maybe they could give Kirby a pair of goggles to go with it to help distinguish it further.

erico9001

NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292

The shade makes it pretty different already, and a different hairstyling would finish the job. Tbh, it's no different from how Shulk's hair doesn't look the same as Robin's hair.

If it was necessary, the Monado could be added too. The monado is a little too small in that pic but oh well :3

Last edited:

Theotakugirl9

Smash Apprentice

The shade makes it pretty different already, and a different hairstyling would finish the job. Tbh, it's no different from how Shulk's hair doesn't look the same as Robin's hair.

If it was necessary, the Monado could be added too. The monado is a little too small in that pic but oh well :3
If the monado was a little bit bigger it would be cool but i forgot about kirby's ability entirely

Hokori

Great King of Evil
On the Kirby Hat topic, the addition of goggles would be the best and easiest way to stand out. Kirby could have a Monado of course whenever he uses his copied ability to attack. And even though he just makes sounds, giving him a British accent on top of that would probably have me in a coffin :laugh:

Andyjoe522

Smash Ace
NNID
Andyjoe522
On the Kirby Hat topic, the addition of goggles would be the best and easiest way to stand out. Kirby could have a Monado of course whenever he uses his copied ability to attack. And even though he just makes sounds, giving him a British accent on top of that would probably have me in a coffin :laugh:
British Kirby would be the single greatest thing ever. :joyful:

Burruni

Smash Hero
On the Kirby Hat topic, the addition of goggles would be the best and easiest way to stand out. Kirby could have a Monado of course whenever he uses his copied ability to attack. And even though he just makes sounds, giving him a British accent on top of that would probably have me in a coffin.
Seriously. Why did you do this to me?! Now I want to hear Kirby's classic lisp screaming out "DIS IS DA POWAH OF DA MONADO"

Hokori

Great King of Evil
Hm, besides Robin, I guess Kirby would become Shulk's next best partner in teams (fun-wise).

Last edited:

erico9001

NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
Guys, Shulk really does look too much like robin. You just need to take a closer look :troll:

Kikkipoptart12

Smash Champion
NNID
Kikkipop 12
3DS FC
0104-0018-0045
Like this:

where did you find that gem, I haven't see that pic in a long time.

the hair need to work, I think that the shulk Kirby hat will look more like Marth's Kirby hat but with a different bang.

Last edited by a moderator:

MooseSmuggler

Linkle Linkle Little Star
NNID
MooseSmuggler
3DS FC
3368-1611-2687
the hair need to work, I think that the shulk Kirby hat will look more like Marth's Kirby hat but with a different bang.
Don't double post, love, you could get infracted.

Anyway, I like the goggles idea. That could make Shirby more unique. Yes, I called Kirby's Shulk hat Shirby. Sue me xD

Kikkipoptart12

Smash Champion
NNID
Kikkipop 12
3DS FC
0104-0018-0045

Anyway, I like the goggles idea. That could make Shirby more unique. Yes, I called Kirby's Shulk hat Shirby. Sue me xD
Thank you I didn't know that I will get infracted for that I try to put everything in one post next time, I will not sue because I don't own the right to Shuirby not that I will anyway.;)

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Thank you I didn't know that I will get infracted for that I try to put everything in one post next time, I will not sue because I don't own the right to Shuirby not that I will anyway.;)
I agree with @ MooseSmuggler MooseSmuggler , if the goggles are apart of Shulks original model that'll help but if they aren't it won't really matter, the hair style is differentiated enough that the goggles won't be necessary.

Bosspon

The Boss of Pon
NNID
KingofSayains
So, we've been having a pretty good week so far in terms of POTDs... Is it too much to hope for one that announces a Direct tonight? Yes? Yeah, it probably is. Shulk, mi amigo... Please be revealed soon so I can hear Shirby say "Monado Buster!" in a cute English accent~

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
So, we've been having a pretty good week so far in terms of POTDs... Is it too much to hope for one that announces a Direct tonight? Yes? Yeah, it probably is. Shulk, mi amigo... Please be revealed soon so I can hear Shirby say "Monado Buster!" in a cute English accent~
Well there is a Hyrule Warriors centric Direct Monday, in case you haven't heard.

Bosspon

The Boss of Pon
NNID
KingofSayains
Well there is a Hyrule Warriors centric Direct Monday, in case you haven't heard.
Yeah, I know. I'm really hoping for a newcomer trailer on or around the 19th. Because of Xenoblade's European release anniversary...

But if we do get a trailer then, it would actually be torture if Sakurai were to announce it tonight. He'll probably give us the same three day warning. But I want an announcement now... Gah! I'm not even certain what I want anymore!

...Short term joy and long term torture or short term joy and short term extreme torture?

Just pick something Sakuraaaaaaaai!

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
But isn't that for the North America though I don't think that will effect anything to be announce in august.
No its world wide, but I wouldn't expect any Smash related stuff, it is, after all, a Hyrule Warriors Direct.
And I doubt it would effect any reveal for August.

Last edited:

TheSkuxxedOne

Smash Cadet
If Shulk was ever in SSB4, they could implement some of the mechanics from XenoBlade Chronicles into his moveset.
1. Tension System: Shulk's portrait in smash bros could change according to how well he's fighting.
2. Arts: For both smashes and specials with additional secondary effects for fully charged up smashes.
3. Cooldown for his specials.
I made about it too, for anyone that's interested...

Neo Zero

Banned via Administration

The Smuggler of Mooses is right, next time be careful and use the edit function @ Kikkipoptart12 Kikkipoptart12 (though I see you learned your lesson, and I fixed it for you : D)

Would British Kirby be smiling or angry? Also I love that, Shirby. Hey kids, get new Shirby today! With real lightsword and goggles!

*power to see the future sold separately*

Noiblade

Smash Journeyman
NNID
47keyblader
Guys, Shulk really does look too much like robin. You just need to take a closer look :troll:
*Robin looks like Shulk, cause i'm pretty sure Shulk came first :p But yeah, they do sort of look similar.
inb4 shulk Robin alt.

Last edited:

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
If Shulk was ever in SSB4, they could implement some of the mechanics from XenoBlade Chronicles into his moveset.
1. Tension System: Shulk's portrait in smash bros could change according to how well he's fighting.
2. Arts: For both smashes and specials with additional secondary effects for fully charged up smashes.
3. Cooldown for his specials.
I made about it too, for anyone that's interested...

He could also use the break/daze/topple system, have a lot of attacks that cause status effects (slow, poison, etc.), have attacks that vary in strength or effect depending on where you hit (like back slash,) and most importantly he could use a talent gauge system that would build through out the fight and let him unlock his Monado abilities. Shulk really has a wide variety of possible gimmicks/mechanics. Good video though, I always enjoy your work!

ZXMechonHunter

Smash Journeyman
Eh. I'm still not seeing much if any similarities between Shulk and Robin appearance wise.
It is funny though how people think just because two characters look alike they think only one can get in. That's why we have one blue haired swordsm- wait.

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
I am back, and I carry GIF's!

SHULK-TRAIN.gif

Let's go Shulk reveal!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom