• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Heir to the Monado. Shulk General Discussion/Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hong

The Strongest
Yeah. I'm not feeling a Shulk reveal for August. If anything, I'd expect a Ness announcement later in the month, since even Nintendo is celebrating that.

Or maybe we can get a full-on Smash Direct, with Ness, Wario, Meta Knight, and a certain someone as a newcomer at the end.:4pacman:

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Yeah. I'm not feeling a Shulk reveal for August. If anything, I'd expect a Ness announcement later in the month, since even Nintendo is celebrating that.

Or maybe we can get a full-on Smash Direct, with Ness, Wario, Meta Knight, and a certain someone as a newcomer at the end.:4pacman:
We will have at least one new character reveal this month. Shulk, a DK character, Ridley, a Zelda character, or a Rhythm Heaven character are all real options. Maybe even a random retro or Mario character.

I would say Shulk or Zelda rep for August.

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928

All of you really need to stop making my poor soul hope for something so unlikely. :'(

Neo Zero

Banned via Administration
All of you really need to stop making my poor soul hope for something so unlikely. :'(
But when it was most likely it didn't happen. Therefore, the more unlikely Shulk is to be shown, the more likely it actually is

Science!

MegaLagann

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MegaLagann
Well...I guess I was sort of right about there being a Direct soon. But seriously people, don't expect a newcomer trailer in this Direct. For one it's a Hyrule Warriors specific Direct, and a newcomer has never been revealed in one of these (minus the Smash Direct of course) and two it's North America only. They aren't going to reveal a newcomer unless it's an international broadcast. So yeah, don't worry, Shulk out of all the possible newcomers still has the best shot of getting a trailer. It would be foolish if they didn't announce one the most requested characters in the world before the game comes out in Japan. Heck, I still wouldn't be surprised if the had a global Direct this week or next.

Back on topic, I think it would be cool if for Shulk's final smash, the chain attack, that it randomly alternates between party members. Like one time you'll get Dunban and Riki, another you'll get Melia and Seven, or maybe Reyn and Sharla. And it can alternate from there too. Plus, like Shulk, it would be really cool to see the entire party with high quality 3D models.

Solfiner

NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
Well...I guess I was sort of right about there being a Direct soon. But seriously people, don't expect a newcomer trailer in this Direct. For one it's a Hyrule Warriors specific Direct, and a newcomer has never been revealed in one of these (minus the Smash Direct of course) and two it's North America only. They aren't going to reveal a newcomer unless it's an international broadcast. So yeah, don't worry, Shulk out of all the possible newcomers still has the best shot of getting a trailer. It would be foolish if they didn't announce one the most requested characters in the world before the game comes out in Japan. Heck, I still wouldn't be surprised if the had a global Direct this week or next.

Back on topic, I think it would be cool if for Shulk's final smash, the chain attack, that it randomly alternates between party members. Like one time you'll get Dunban and Riki, another you'll get Melia and Seven, or maybe Reyn and Sharla. And it can alternate from there too. Plus, like Shulk, it would be really cool to see the entire party with high quality 3D models.
Like I mentioned before, it would be really cool if Dinkson would rarely appear as an easter egg in that FS.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

But according to this, the Hyrule Warriors direct will also be shown in Japan and Europe. But since evidence does seem to point out that Hyrule Warriors is most likely the focus, I doubt anything Smash will be shown (except maybe a Ganondorf confirmation at least).

...Do we at least know how long it'll be?

Hokori

Great King of Evil
Come to think of it, I could imagine Sakurai having another Smash Direct where he just goes Willy Wonka on us and dishes out the remaining trailers, including some of the veterans. Then after doing so, taking the time to talk about some of the characters (including the newcomers), hopefully providing some details about Shulk post-reveal. Would be nice to see how close some of the moveset ideas were :awesome:

Seems like a good amount of people are feeling the Chain Attack for the Final Smash. With the party member assists, my hype levels would probably be like some other's when Megaman's Final Smash was debuted.

MegaLagann

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MegaLagann
Like I mentioned before, it would be really cool if Dinkson would rarely appear as an easter egg in that FS.
Oooh, that'd be cool. Dinkson and Alvis could both be easter eggs. They'd be like Mew, extremely rare to get.

But according to this, the Hyrule Warriors direct will also be shown in Japan and Europe. But since evidence does seem to point out that Hyrule Warriors is most likely the focus, I doubt anything Smash will be shown (except maybe a Ganondorf confirmation at least).

...Do we at least know how long it'll be?
Hmm, interesting. I say at the very most we could get a Ganondorf confirmation, but a newcomer? Still saying it's unlikely. I remember last year during the Wonderful 101 and Pokémon X and Y directs hearing people say that we would get newcomer trailers there. Plus I just really doubt we'll get a Zelda newcomer this time around. So like I said before worry not my Shulkamaniacs, because there almost guaranteed to be a general Direct soon after and Shulk has the best chance to get revealed then. I saw it in a vision after all...

Solfiner

NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
Oooh, that'd be cool. Dinkson and Alvis could both be easter eggs. They'd be like Mew, extremely rare to get.
Yeah, exactly what I had in mind.
(cant remove this for some reason):awesome:

Seems like a good amount of people are feeling the Chain Attack for the Final Smash. With the party member assists, my hype levels would probably be like some other's when Megaman's Final Smash was debuted.
Yeah, I agree. It would also be a great way to represent some memorable quotes: Reyn time, Born in a world of strife, Heropon very cool etc etc.

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172
So guys, I was playing Xenoblade... and I had to share this valuable info. We have things like the Adam Howden tweet that we're pinning our hopes on, can we use this as solid evidence of Shulk being confirmed for Smash? :troll:

Let's analyse this further :troll:
  • Shulk's visions has been confirmed to come true without Shulk's intervention
  • Xenoblade Chronicles is a Nintendo game, same company that makes Smash
  • Smash appearing in Xenoblade, Xenoblade appearing in Smash.
I dunno guys, I think I might be onto something.

Edit:
Let's pretend this vision didn't end in Shulk dying, okay? Okay.

Last edited:

Hype Train

Woolly World hype!!
NNID
YesMann
3DS FC
0860-3788-1263
So like I said before worry not my Shulkamaniacs, because there almost guaranteed to be a general Direct soon after and Shulk has the best chance to get revealed then. I saw it in a vision after all...
We'll see what Iwata'a health has to say about that. He didn't host the Digital Event at E3 and bimonthly Nintendo Directs aren't a necessity. Shulk may very well get the Robin treatment (which worked surprisingly well in terms of viewership).

Solfiner

NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
So guys, I was playing Xenoblade... we have things like the Adam Howden tweet that we're pinning our hopes on, can we use this as solid evidence of Shulk being confirmed for Smash? :troll:

Okay, we better prepare for that sub forum because this is huge.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Hmm, thinking of my "secret vets" being revealed before release theory...We've had TL, Lucario and Luigi revealed outside of directs, right? (Lucario IIRC was for Brawl's anniversary or something? not sure there, and Luigi was for the Year of Luigi) And then there was Greninja's trailer with a "revised" veteran (Charizard, though I doubt he's secret) and then Captain Falcon for F-Zero X's anniversary alongside Robin and Lucina. But when Mr. G&W appeared at the end of Pac-Man's trailer, he didn't appear on the site afterwards, and he's just as "secret" a veteran as the other vets mentioned sans Charizard. Maybe I'm just thinking into it too much..
So guys, I was playing Xenoblade... and I had to share this valuable info. We have things like the Adam Howden tweet that we're pinning our hopes on, can we use this as solid evidence of Shulk being confirmed for Smash? :troll:

It's happening...!!

Solfiner

NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
Let's just hope that Shulk doesn't use Monado shield after seeing that vision. :troll:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
woops ignore this post, it can be deleted.

...just to confirm Shield is for numbered attacks while Armour is non-numbered, right? I get confused sometimes

Last edited:

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172
To imagine, Sakurai's Ruse Cruise would date back to Xenoblade's release in 2010 for character selections! :troll:

So many troll faces, I am so sorry... actually, I regret nothing, this is great

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Hmm, interesting. I say at the very most we could get a Ganondorf confirmation, but a newcomer? Still saying it's unlikely. I remember last year during the Wonderful 101 and Pokémon X and Y directs hearing people say that we would get newcomer trailers there. Plus I just really doubt we'll get a Zelda newcomer this time around. So like I said before worry not my Shulkamaniacs, because there almost guaranteed to be a general Direct soon after and Shulk has the best chance to get revealed then. I saw it in a vision after all...
I gotta agree. At most we'll get a Ganondorf confirmation and Majora's Mask 3D.

Bosspon

The Boss of Pon
NNID
KingofSayains
Well, everybody, tomorrow is the beginning of August. While I would hope for an August Direct (or one of the special Sakurai streams like he did for Robin) to be announced ASAP, I'm kinda thinking I'd prefer it to be announced the day before. I would just be shaking in excitement from the moment it was announced and I don't want to do that too long because I might destroy my furniture.

MegaLagann

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MegaLagann
We'll see what Iwata'a health has to say about that. He didn't host the Digital Event at E3 and bimonthly Nintendo Directs aren't a necessity. Shulk may very well get the Robin treatment (which worked surprisingly well in terms of viewership).
They're a necessity when you got several games coming out this year with barely any info or release dates. I agree though that the Newcomer reveal livestream won't be one and done. They'll do it again, and maybe, just maybe, my beautiful Shulk...

Hmm, thinking of my "secret vets" being revealed before release theory...We've had TL, Lucario and Luigi revealed outside of directs, right? (Lucario IIRC was for Brawl's anniversary or something? not sure there, and Luigi was for the Year of Luigi) And then there was Greninja's trailer with a "revised" veteran (Charizard, though I doubt he's secret) and then Captain Falcon for F-Zero X's anniversary alongside Robin and Lucina. But when Mr. G&W appeared at the end of Pac-Man's trailer, he didn't appear on the site afterwards, and he's just as "secret" a veteran as the other vets mentioned sans Charizard. Maybe I'm just thinking into it too much..

It's happening...!!
My brain is leaking out of my nose. So yeah you're probably thinking about it too much. Just sit back and relax. When a Direct or Newcomer livestream is announced, then you can have a heart attack from the hype...or is that just me.

Hype Train

Woolly World hype!!
NNID
YesMann
3DS FC
0860-3788-1263
They're a necessity when you got several games coming out this year with barely any info or release dates. I agree though that the Newcomer reveal livestream won't be one and done. They'll do it again, and maybe, just maybe, my beautiful Shulk...
Eh? They only have Hyrule Warrios, Bayo 2, Smash, and Pokemon coming out this year. ThatHyrule Warriors has its own Direct, the other three can just pop up during a September or October Direct, really. I'm just saying, an August Direct isn't guaranteed 'cos Iwata's not feeling well.

And yes, Shulk is byootiful. E'erybody and their momma knows dat.

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172
I don't think it's wise to go into the HW Direct expecting a reveal.

I have high hopes for August though. Even though a reveal could easily be early September. Honestly, I'm taking a shot at one August, one September in the week before release. Either that's it, or the rest are secret.

Sheddy

Smash Ace
NNID
bwolfy1995
3DS FC
4484-7885-0842
I know a direct or a reveal like with robin will happen this month it's the last month before the japanese version comes out this is their last chance to really announce anymore newcomers

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
So,I thought of something fun to do. I'm going to post all of Shulk's non-Monado arts, and we can take each one and say what we think it could do in Smash and what button input we would assign it to.
  • Slit Edge - Damages single target. Attacking the target's side will reduce Physical Defence.
  • Back Slash - Damages single target. Attacking the target's back will cause double damage (also generates aggro).
  • Light Heal - Restores HP to a single ally.
  • Shaker Edge - Damages single target, Dazes if target is Toppled
  • Air Slash - Damage and inflict Break on a single target. A side hit may inflict Slow.
  • Shadow Eye - Reduces aggro and increases damage of next physical arts
  • Battle Soul - Sacrifices half of Shulk's HP to refill a portion of his talent gauge
  • Stream Edge - Damages multiple enemies in front of Shulk, inflicts Break and fills talent gauge
Get to it!

I'll give mine later. Battle Soul seems like it could be such an interesting move, but I'm not sure how it would be used. If you have to build up a gauge to unlock Monado arts then I suppose it could work very closely to how it works in the game,

Last edited:

Hokori

Great King of Evil
So,I thought of something fun to do. I'm going to post all of Shulk's non-Monado arts, and we can take each one and say what we think it could do in Smash and what button input we would assign it to.
  • Slit Edge - Damages single target. Attacking the target's side will reduce Physical Defence.
  • Back Slash - Damages single target. Attacking the target's back will cause double damage (also generates aggro).
  • Air Slash - Damage and inflict Break on a single target. A side hit may inflict Slow.
  • Battle Soul - Sacrifices half of Shulk's HP to refill a portion of his talent gauge
  • Stream Edge - Damages multiple enemies in front of Shulk, inflicts Break and fills talent gauge
Get to it!

I'll give mine later. Battle Soul seems like it could be such an interesting move, but I'm not sure how it would be used. If you have to build up a gauge to unlock Monado arts then I suppose it could work very closely to how it works in the game,
Air Slash - Damage and inflict Break on a single target. A side hit may inflict Slow.

^

Shulk's F-Air: Solid damage output and can serve as a shield buster.

Last edited:

Hong

The Strongest
Shulk will probably be better than anything we had imagined, like with Robin and Rosalina. *~*

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
I think if down B activates the Monado then Battle Soul is a PERFECT move for his down B. If you want to use the Monado at the beginning of a fight you would just spam down B and get your gauge up, but you would get to about 110% damage in doing so.

Hokori

Great King of Evil
Shulk will probably be better than anything we had imagined, like with Robin and Rosalina. *~*
Likely. Completely Canon or not, Sakurai will work his magic regardless.

I think if down B activates the Monado then Battle Soul is a PERFECT move for his down B. If you want to use the Monado at the beginning of a fight you would just spam down B and get your gauge up, but you would get to about 110% damage in doing so.
I'd imagine that it would be a quick move in execution, especially considering its downsides. Also makes for more interesting management of the Gauge since you're going to have to determine if Battle Soul is worth it on the fly.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Likely. Completely Canon or not, Sakurai will work his magic regardless.

I'd imagine that it would be a quick move in execution, especially considering its downsides. Also makes for more interesting management of the Gauge since you're going to have to determine if Battle Soul is worth it on the fly.
Yeah, I hadn't thought of it until now, but I really like the idea if we are to get a talent gauge. It could be a great strategic move.

TitanTeaTime

Smash Lord
NNID
TitanTeaTime
3DS FC
2165-6601-4781
Get to it!

Well, I'm currently designing a moveset with Stream Edge assigned to DTilt, Air Slash assigned to Up-B, Shaker Edge assigned to Side-B and Back Slash assigned to FTilt. It's a bit strange, but there's a good reason for it to do with the main gimmick.
Light Heal, Shadow Eye and Battle Soul all seem like they would fit as Down-B moves, where Light Heal could work as long as it's not too much (healing as an ability wasn't seen in Smash until Robin in the first place), Shadow Eye could simply increase your defences (though Monado Armour could also work for that) and Battle Soul would only really be useful with the talent gauge as the moveset's gimmick.

Solfiner

NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
Air Slash - Damage and inflict Break on a single target. A side hit may inflict Slow.

^

Shulk's F-Air: Solid damage output and can serve as a shield buster.
Beat me to it. I also see air slash as a F-Air. It could work as an U-Tilt too. But other than that:
Stream Edge - I see this working as a F-Tilt that does mediocre damage but damages shields really well.

Last edited:

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Well, I'm currently designing a moveset with Stream Edge assigned to DTilt, Air Slash assigned to Up-B, Shaker Edge assigned to Side-B and Back Slash assigned to FTilt. It's a bit strange, but there's a good reason for it to do with the main gimmick.
Light Heal, Shadow Eye and Battle Soul all seem like they would fit as Down-B moves, where Light Heal could work as long as it's not too much (healing as an ability wasn't seen in Smash until Robin in the first place), Shadow Eye could simply increase your defences (though Monado Armour could also work for that) and Battle Soul would only really be useful with the talent gauge as the moveset's gimmick.
Shadow eye should also increase the strength of your next attack. Maybe it could work in a way where it increases your defense and your offense, but if you use an offensive more OR get hit you lose your "charge" of the move.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117

By the way, SOMEONE had to have inflicted this daze status.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom