• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Heir to the Monado. Shulk General Discussion/Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
Well since I missed talking about Shulk's Japanese VA actor tweeting that thing he did...

It was pretty cool huh?

TitanTeaTime

Smash Lord
NNID
TitanTeaTime
3DS FC
2165-6601-4781
Pic of the Day:

N's castle is a stage and acts like Spear Pillar. Zekrom and Milotic also apear.

All thsee pokemon are dragon like, TElethia are dragon like. this confirms shuuulk
Please, I just had to "permanently" leave the thread in order to sort out the junk. This potd has actually very little to do with Xenoblade unless you do extreme straw grasping like you are now

MooseSmuggler

Linkle Linkle Little Star
NNID
MooseSmuggler
3DS FC
3368-1611-2687
IN all honesty, I was board. I will stop if you wish.
I tried to warn ya.

I mean, I get that on-topic discussion is a bit tough since we've already discussed everything about Shulk, but we owe it to ourselves to try.

Oh, I did think of an interesting idea. What if, along with a party member or two, they had an M67 unit as an Assist Trophy? Or some other medium-sized model? No rule against enemies being AT's :p

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
So the "disconfirmation week" is now disconfirmed. Shulk is safe.

RawstyleEevee

Smash Ace
NNID
RawstyleEevee
That Hyrule Warriors direct perhaps could reveal Ganondorf for Smash & maybe Link needs the help from Shulk to beat him? Still we most likely will get 2 directs or a Newcomer update like in july

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
That Hyrule Warriors direct perhaps could reveal Ganondorf for Smash & maybe Link needs the help from Shulk to beat him? Still we most likely will get 2 directs or a Newcomer update like in july
Was a Hyrule Warriors Direct announced?

As far as items go - Xenoblade actually has less options then most RPGs, because there are no consumable items. At least games like Golden Sun or Earthbound have inventory items that can be used to damage enemies or heal/buff your party. Not the most exciting choices, but better then what Xenoblade has. Melia's staff sounds like it could be interesting, though. Which staff model do you think would be used?

Solfiner

NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
Was a Hyrule Warriors Direct announced?

As far as items go - Xenoblade actually has less options then most RPGs, because there are no consumable items. At least games like Golden Sun or Earthbound have inventory items that can be used to damage enemies or heal/buff your party. Not the most exciting choices, but better then what Xenoblade has. Melia's staff sounds like it could be interesting, though. Which staff model do you think would be used?
The first one she has equiped. It's the one she has in the artwork, and the most iconic.

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172
Still love the idea of Riki being a Mr. Saturn, as silly as it is. For Melia's staff giving buffs, would it perhaps be best to have an item that you only pick up once, like the Franklin Badge or Screw Attack (thing)? Perhaps picking up the staff would make your character summon an elemental, then the staff disappears? That way you don't have to carry the thing around.

@MASTERLINKX I just so happened to be watching this gif you posted earlier:

with this video open in another tab, and oh my god, with Shulk's comical walking and the train, it works so well!
I imagine it would be just as amazing with the Benny Hill theme.
Oh, and marasy8 is amazing.

So here's a topic that I think someone else posted a while back but it was ignored amid a flood of hype:
How would Shulk's moves be customised? Might be hard to hypothesise considering we're still unsure of a moveset. Perhaps a charge move (like Monado Buster?) could have a longer charge time but also some super armour via Monado Armour or something. Maybe change the shape of a Monado Purge projectile or allow it to pierce enemies?

It's difficult thinking of things that aren't just power/speed changes.

Last edited:

Hokori

Great King of Evil
I wouldn't count on an appearance from Shulk in the Direct. Until Sakurai has something to say about it (whether it's via Twitter or a PotD reminder notice), I'd just go in watching to only expect Hyrule Warriors.

TitanTeaTime

Smash Lord
NNID
TitanTeaTime
3DS FC
2165-6601-4781
Gah, curse you crashboards...
As a Shulk fan, I don't think hyping yourself up for a non-Zelda character getting revealed then is a good idea. Even then, we might not even get a Zelda character revealed.
As a Zelda fan I'm excited regardless because Hyrule Warriors, yay.
Still love the idea of Riki being a Mr. Saturn, as silly as it is. For Melia's staff giving buffs, would it perhaps be best to have an item that you only pick up once, like the Franklin Badge or Screw Attack (thing)? Perhaps picking up the staff would make your character summon an elemental, then the staff disappears? That way you don't have to carry the thing around.
That staff idea is a good one actually. One way that could work is when it summons an elemental it does something passively and when a special is used it discharges the elemental instead, though to balance it out and force the player to discharge it instead of saving the passive bonus it's only temporary anyway. So for each one...
  • Summon Bolt (grants Ether Up | causes electric damage) (Grants a lightning effect to attacks maybe, and when discharged does a single-target bolt)
  • Summon Flare (grants Strength Up | causes blaze damage to all enemies around the target) (Slight damage/knockback increase for jabs/smashes, PK fire effect?)
  • Summon Ice (reduces Ether damage | causes chill damage to all enemies around Melia) (I guess reducing fire/ice/electric/etc damage, freeze enemies around the user)
  • Summon Wind (grants Agility Up | inflicts area damage around the target) (Increases speed, aoe around target)
  • Summon Earth (reduces physical damage | inflicts poison) (Increases defence, single-target dot)
  • Summon Aqua (grants Regenerate | drains HP from one enemy) (Gradually heals for maybe 1% every 2-4 seconds, drains % from enemy)
I dunno though, that's just what I came up with.
So here's a topic that I think someone else posted a while back but it was ignored amid a flood of hype:
How would Shulk's moves be customised? Might be hard to hypothesise considering we're still unsure of a moveset. Perhaps a charge move (like Monado Buster?) could have extra charge but also some super armour via Monado Armour or something. Maybe change the shape of a Monado Purge projectile or allow it to pierce enemies?
I'm thinking that he could use different talent arts, such as maybe Monado Buster being replaced with Back Slash or Slit Edge? I dunno though.
Also, I recently had an idea for a moveset based around break/topple/daze, though I might need some time to think on it. Main problem with it being that Shulk doesn't actually learn any topple arts... Never mind I forgot about Monado Cyclone

Last edited:

Solfiner

NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
I know that people suggested Riki as an item, but I think that just Nopon in general would work much better. That way there won't be multiple Riki clones on screen at the same time. Imagine 10 Rikis walking toward you at the same time.

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172
Gah, curse you crashboards...
As a Shulk fan, I don't think hyping yourself up for a non-Zelda character getting revealed then is a good idea. Even then, we might not even get a Zelda character revealed.
As a Zelda fan I'm excited regardless because Hyrule Warriors, yay.

That staff idea is a good one actually. One way that could work is when it summons an elemental it does something passively and when a special is used it discharges the elemental instead, though to balance it out and force the player to discharge it instead of saving the passive bonus it's only temporary anyway. So for each one...
  • Summon Bolt (grants Ether Up | causes electric damage) (Grants a lightning effect to attacks maybe, and when discharged does a single-target bolt)
  • Summon Flare (grants Strength Up | causes blaze damage to all enemies around the target) (Slight damage/knockback increase for jabs/smashes, PK fire effect?)
  • Summon Ice (reduces Ether damage | causes chill damage to all enemies around Melia) (I guess reducing fire/ice/electric/etc damage, freeze enemies around the user)
  • Summon Wind (grants Agility Up | inflicts area damage around the target) (Increases speed, aoe around target)
  • Summon Earth (reduces physical damage | inflicts poison) (Increases defence, single-target dot)
  • Summon Aqua (grants Regenerate | drains HP from one enemy) (Gradually heals for maybe 1% every 2-4 seconds, drains % from enemy)
I actually think this is pretty solid. I put the idea out there because carrying the staff around is useless if it's only going to grant a buff. I hadn't thought it through, but this looks really good! Kind of hope it happens now, it feels like there's actually a legitimate Xenoblade item. Perhaps the Summon Flare discharge could create a weak explosion effect (not near Bob-omb). That way you could have both Bolt and Flare doing damage but with different attack hitboxes. Then again, that's what Summon Wind is listed as doing... maybe that could be a Gust Bellows / FLUDD-typed 'push' thing? I dunno. The three could have different knock-back directions and strengths.

I know that people suggested Riki as an item, but I think that just Nopon in general would work much better. That way there won't be multiple Riki clones on screen at the same time. Imagine 10 Rikis walking toward you at the same time.
2cute4me
But yeah, that's a better idea. You could have a few models, that way.

Last edited:

Hokori

Great King of Evil
The good news is that it's not unheard of for there to be two directs in one month. Since they're having a direct dedicated to Hyrule Warriors, you could expect more time for Smash at a later time.

Your expansion on the staff idea is actually pretty nice, especially considering that it's all we have at the moment. Though naturally, I'm still expecting no items and that we'll see more Xenoblade reps via ATs.

I'm sure having RIki as an item was more of a joke, because yes, I do agree that it would be Nopon in general over Riki. The Mr. Saturn are a species, so I'm pretty sure if they wanted to do something like that for Xenoblade, it'd just the species (Nopon) and not the Heropon. And it would kind of be weird to see a playable character from Xenoblade as an item :laugh:

Last edited:

Solfiner

NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
The good news is that it's not unheard of for there to be two directs in one month. Since they're having a direct dedicated to Hyrule Warriors, you could expect more time for Smash at a later time.

Your expansion on the staff idea is actually pretty nice, especially considering that it's all we have at the moment.

I'm sure having RIki as an item was more of a joke, because yes, I do agree that it would be Nopon in general over Riki. The Mr. Saturn are a species, so I'm pretty sure if they wanted to do something like that for Xenoblade, it'd just the species (Nopon) and not the Heropon. And it would kind of be weird to see a playable character from Xenoblade as an item :laugh:
No one can deny that a Reyn item would be fantastic though.

Andyjoe522

Smash Ace
NNID
Andyjoe522
It would be glorious and you know it! All hail the Heropon(s)!

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172
No one can deny that a Reyn item would be fantastic though.
It's not Reyn himself, but:
Driver / Shield Gunlance / Whatever it's Officially Called - Wielded like regular melee weapon, blocks oncoming projectiles, holder's Dash Attack changes to some kind of shield bash (maybe or maybe not the actual Shield Bash).

If that's a little OP, maybe make the block work like Link's shield (got to stand still to work).

Last edited:

Solfiner

NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
Driver / Shield Gunlance / Whatever it's Officially Called - Wielded like regular weapon, blocks oncoming projectiles, holder's Dash Attack changes to some kind of shield bash (maybe or maybe not the actual Shield Bash).

If that's a little OP, maybe make the block work like Link's shield (got to stand still to work).
No, Reyn himself is a throwable! :troll: That driver idea could definitely work though.

Neo Zero

Banned via Administration
I think we can all agree Smash 4 needs to have a little Reyn time.

I'd love that item tbqh :p

Hokori

Great King of Evil
Driver / Shield Gunlance / Whatever it's Officially Called - Wielded like regular weapon, blocks oncoming projectiles, holder's Dash Attack changes to some kind of shield bash (maybe or maybe not the actual Shield Bash).

The only thing holding that idea back is the fact that we already have the Franklin Badge and Back Shield as items. It sounds nice though. It kind of gives the wielder a fusion of the abilities of the Franklin Badge and Mr. Saturn.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117

Reyn would be a great assist, because he could literally tank and take hits for you. Don't think anyone else does anything like that at the moment. I'm not sure about his Drivers as items, though.

Last edited:

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172
I remember people suggesting Reyn Assist having some sort of aggro system that makes players attack him. I can't remember exactly what ideas people came up with to make aggro work in Smash, but I had similar attention-drawing ideas for The Last Story's Zael using the Power of the Outsider.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Did someone say Star Ocean 4?! I still need to play that game...yeah the character models are quite iffy and oh God Sarah's voice...but it's the only SO game I haven't played yet and it seems a decent game in spite of all its flaws. like, it's a bad game in its series, but not a bad game overall. Like how I personally see Other M to the Metroid series. weak installment, but decent game overall.

But Star Ocean 3 (for the PS2) had some pretty bad models too, like for some characters you could see the clothing "pixeled" on, and the mouth movement was just...yeah.

I am however interested on how they'll touch up Shulk's model in HD when he gets in. And the Melia's staff item seems like a cool idea too. c:

Last edited:

Solfiner

NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
Taste my magnificent art:
sketch1406814276963.png
I can't wait to see Shulk's model.

Sheddy

Smash Ace
NNID
bwolfy1995
3DS FC
4484-7885-0842
it sucks I'm gonna be at a job fair when the hyrule direct comes on :sadsheep:

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
I don't think we'll see any Smash info in the Hyrule Direct. There's more of a chance that we will see another character reveal Robin style on Monday.

Sheddy

Smash Ace
NNID
bwolfy1995
3DS FC
4484-7885-0842
yeah idk if we will get a reveal on monday or not I mean if I'm correct every diect since smash has been announced they've announced someone if I'm correct maybe not shulk but ganon or a new zelda newcomer

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
According to the Takamaru thread, Japan isn't too happy about him not making the playable Smash roster. Shulk better make it then, in a way he would be Japan's Little Mac now.

GM_3826

Smash Journeyman
Maybe they realize that we can't have everyone revealed next month and decide to showcase a Zelda character after the Hyrule Warriors stuff. Would make sense, considering the Trophy theory.
I feel that Impa and Ganondorf might get revealed, but that's just me.

Hokori

Great King of Evil
As I mentioned, the chances of Smash news in a direct dedicated to Hyrule Warriors is practically slim to none (there was no Smash news in the direct dedicated to Mario Kart for example), and I honestly wouldn't want anything to get in the way of that anyways. However, a Smash Direct also took place within the same month. We're almost in the final month before September arrives and the game is released in Japan, and he did say that there are still some trailers out there.

So basically, count Shulk out during the Hyrule Direct, but don't count Shulk out of August just yet. I'm sure Sakurai is saving the big guns closer to release.

Sheddy

Smash Ace
NNID
bwolfy1995
3DS FC
4484-7885-0842
I still do thing we'll get someone new this month since this is the last month before the japanese version comes out and I think we will get a newcomer at this direct since like I said we have gotten a character announced at each direct since smash was announced

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
As I mentioned, the chances of Smash news in a direct dedicated to Hyrule Warriors is practically slim to none (there was no Smash news in the direct dedicated to Mario Kart for example), and I honestly wouldn't want anything to get in the way of that anyways. However, a Smash Direct also took place within the same month. We're almost in the final month before September arrives and the game is released in Japan, and he did say that there are still some trailers out there.

So basically, count Shulk out during the Hyrule Direct, but don't count Shulk out of August just yet. I'm sure Sakurai is saving the big guns closer to release.
I remember everyone watching the Wonderful 101 direct and expecting some Smash news and being severely disappointed. That sort of thing doesn't happen. I really hope we see some Link to the Past representation in the Hyrule Warriors direct by the way as the top down Zeldas need some rep.

I think we will get a general Nintendo Direct before the month is done, and if not we will likely see an on site Smash reveal at some point. I also think we will get a September Smash Direct the week before the Japanese launch in the same vein as the Mario Kart 8 Direct.

Solfiner

NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
I didn't even realize that the full roster is so close. Bring me a Shulk trailer samurai.

Sheddy

Smash Ace
NNID
bwolfy1995
3DS FC
4484-7885-0842
I remember everyone watching the Wonderful 101 direct and expecting some Smash news and being severely disappointed. That sort of thing doesn't happen. I really hope we see some Link to the Past representation in the Hyrule Warriors direct by the way as the top down Zeldas need some rep.

I think we will get a general Nintendo Direct before the month is done, and if not we will likely see an on site Smash reveal at some point. I also think we will get a September Smash Direct the week before the Japanese launch in the same vein as the Mario Kart 8 Direct.
I'm still hoping for Vatti to rep the handheld zelda games

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
If Sakurai is taking the "no secrets" approach I wouldn't be surprised if we got pretty much the last newcomer trailers in the same month since like @ Sheddy Sheddy said it's the last month before the JP release. If we're not getting a Zelda newcomer we'd probably get a RH rep trailer with maybe Wario and/or Ness revealed as vets, and then Shulk's will be a surprise standalone like the Robin trailer.

Maybe it could like I suggested in my Fiora thread, be another dual newcomer trailer, with Fiora announced too since they're both from the same series? one can dream

I frankly wouldn't be surprised if all the vets were revealed before release, even more "secret" ones.

Hokori

Great King of Evil
If Shulk makes an appearance, it'll either be in August or September. Those are the two options. I can somewhat relax knowing that the time for a reveal continues to shorten.

Mechonis

Smash Journeyman
I'm really not expecting anything on the Hyrule Warriors direct, unless at least Sakurai re-tweet's bout it.

Usually on his POTD he always has a sentence saying, "Don't forget to tune into the Nintendo Direct at this time" and so forth.

He didn't do that this time, so I'll keep my expectations really low.

Edit: MAYBE he will Friday. We'll see.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom