• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Heir to the Monado. Shulk General Discussion/Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Seriously though, I haven't played the game but I looked it up and...

bloody brilliant!
11/10 would buy 1,000,000,000,000 copies.
With the amount of money I'm spending on this game the US could probably pay off their debt to China lol

Last edited:

erico9001

You must find your own path to the future.
NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
Do we know what Items Xenoblade would have? I haven't been able to think of anything.
I think Reyn's driver/guarder could be a weapon also with defensive capabilities. Maybe some items from the collectopaedia could be created – especially food items.

There's really not much though, which is why I think FE has no items.

I think I remember seeing the Super Scope at one point. Gadolt's Rifle could still be used, but not likely.
I saw it being used during the comic con nintendo challenge

The only problem with that is that its primarily used for healing, which would make it rather strange as an attacking item, and a healing item that needs to be fired would be silly in a smash bros scenario.
Nah, Sharla is a medic which is why she uses primarily healing arts. Gadolt is more of a fighter, which was made most clear in that cutscene where Sharla remembers him shooting the mechon scraps.
Oh god Star Ocean 4... Part of the reason why I never finished the game honestly was because the models creeped me out so much. Some of the characters shown so far in X kind of have that same doll look to them, but we got time before the game comes out so hopefully they tweek some stuff.

I can see why the character models in Xenoblade could be off putting to some people. I'll never get over their square fingers. But it still had a charm to it that I enjoyed. That being said however I can't wait to see what Shulk looks like with a high quality 3D model.
I find that when I'm actually playing a game I usually don't notice the graphics at all unless they are worse than the gamecube.

MegaLagann

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MegaLagann
Maybe since certain enemies only appear in certain times of day in Xenoblade they can play with the day/night system in the Xenoblade stage by not only having the music change by time but also have different bosses appear depending on what time it is. Keep in mind I still would rather not have bosses in the Xenoblade stage, but I thought this could make it somewhat interesting.

erico9001

You must find your own path to the future.
NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
Maybe since certain enemies only appear in certain times of day in Xenoblade they can play with the day/night system in the Xenoblade stage by not only having the music change by time but also have different bosses appear depending on what time it is. Keep in mind I still would rather not have bosses in the Xenoblade stage, but I thought this could make it somewhat interesting.
Mm, interesting idea. Maybe instead of day/night it could be based off of weather effects...
Like how White Eduardo only appears during thunderstorms.

Actually, I think the island in Raguel Lake in Bionis Leg would actually work as a level..

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Just don't search nappy time with it next. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Curiosity got the better of me and I ended up watching it. WTF? The models are scary, and the voice acting isn't good either. Also, kinda got a Pedoish vibe from that, except she wanted it and he didn't. Do we have a term for when a young girl wants to be with an older man? I guess I'll call it a reverse-pedo for now...

This is extremely off topic. Back to the discussion of Shulk! What other characters could you see being revealed alongside him? I could personally see Ness and Mewtwo being revealed along with him.

DarkRyu

Smash Cadet
NNID
YoungChief
3DS FC
4098-2758-3357
Items to rep Xenoblade eh? Uhm

Juju's Buggy (works like Wario's side B)

Infinite Sandwich (best item)

High Entia wing hat that lets you fly

Enyalb

Hardcore Wonder-Casual Dragoon
NNID
BLAYNEproject
3DS FC
5300-9911-6250
Curiosity got the better of me and I ended up watching it. WTF? The models are scary, and the voice acting isn't good either. Also, kinda got a Pedoish vibe from that, except she wanted it and he didn't. Do we have a term for when a young girl wants to be with an older man? I guess I'll call it a reverse-pedo for now...

This is extremely off topic. Back to the discussion of Shulk! What other characters could you see being revealed alongside him? I could personally see Ness and Mewtwo being revealed along with him.
Can't resist bringing that scene up whenever Star Ocean is mentioned.

Honestly those are the only two that just works with him. A trailer for the remaining RPG reps, it's meant to be. Your prediction trailer perfectly captures this chemistry well.

Andyjoe522

Smash Ace
NNID
Andyjoe522
Okay, so, back on the topic of Shulk. It seems that when it comes to his Final Smash, we seem to be split on if it should be a vision or a chain attack. Personally, I'm leaning towards the chain attack. Most of the ideas I've seen tossed around for a vision related Final Smash seem like they'd either be broken or next to useless in my opinion. I won't say it can't work, I just haven't seen an idea for it that's really sold me.

As for the chain attack, I made a post around 100 pages back describing my idea as to how it could be made different from Robin's Final Smash. I'll go ahead and quote that for anyone who wasn't around at the time or missed it in the posting rush.

I have actually been thinking of ways to differentiate the Chain Attack final smash from Robin's fs. I was at a bit of a standstill until I started thinking about Donkey Kong's final smash (stick with me here, I promise you, this is relevant), and how they added a rhythm element to it that boosts the power if you press the A button at the right time. Then I thought about how in Xenoblade chain attacks become stronger if you use arts of the same color in a chain. I tried thinking of a good way to incorporate that into the Chain Attack final smash in a way that would be simple to perform yet still provide some challenge, but nothing came to mind. Then I thought about the little b-button quick time events in Xenoblade that pop up during battle, and thought maybe that would be a good mechanic to incorporate. During Shulk's Chain Attack final smash, the little b button prompt from the game will pop up with each strike, and if you press b once the ring reaches the inside of the circle, the power of the chain attack will be increased (with an added bonus if you hit b just as the ring hits the edge of the circle). Assuming the Chain Attack consists of around 6 or 7 strikes, it would be a good way to separate Shulk's final smash from Robin's, and make it one that rewards players for a skill they acquired while playing Xenoblade itself.

continuityOfficer

Smash Champion
I agree chain attack. although I think it'll likely only be 2, while the others are represented in other ways.
I still think that vision should be his down special. it just seems like the obvious choice, and making something so common happen so rarely as using a final smashs is silly.

NEW NINTENDO DIRECT!
https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/494724390551306240?p=v
Its Hyrule Warriors Focused though...

Last edited by a moderator:

continuityOfficer

Smash Champion
Aww. Makes sense I guess, with Japan release of August 14.

I hope potd is Shulk as a character!!
Considering that SSB4 for 3DS come out in Japan during September, do you think we'll get another direct just before it releases

August 14? you mean September?
it comes out in english speaking countries in september

Last edited:

T.R "River"

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Hidanclub
3DS FC
4382-2201-8687
so does anyone else just sit around during this time of day just hitting refresh over and over until there's a new pic of the day?

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
It's worth noting that that direct is specifically a North America Hyrule Warriors one.

Remember, we had the April Smash worldwide direct on April 8th, and we also had a North America-only Tomodachi Life direct three days later.

This new Hyrule Warriors direct has no bearing on any worldwide, announcement-based directs that could be made. In fact, I'm kind of expecting it to be a retread of stuff people following the game already know.

...So basically Shulk's back on the menu boys/girls.

Sakurai pls.

Last edited:

continuityOfficer

Smash Champion
It's worth noting that that direct is specifically a North America Hyrule Warriors one.

Remember, we had the April Smash worldwide direct on April 8th, and we also had a North America-only Tomodachi Life direct three days later.

This new Hyrule Warriors direct has no bearing on any worldwide, announcement-based directs that could be made. In fact, I'm kind of expecting it to be a retread of stuff people following the game already know.

...So basically Shulk's back on the menu boys/girls.

Sakurai pls.
So just retreading the stuff announced in the streams? OK.
I was thinking it sounded like the MK8 direct

T.R "River"

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Hidanclub
3DS FC
4382-2201-8687
Either way I look forward to seeing a nice handful of new character announcements. I'm willing to bet there will be some that we haven't seen yet, even if you have been following the japanese trailers and stuff.

continuityOfficer

Smash Champion
Either way I look forward to seeing a nice handful of new character announcements. I'm willing to bet there will be some that we haven't seen yet, even if you have been following the japanese trailers and stuff.
Weren't there only room for about 3 left?
This would also be the perfect time to announce that antagonist campaign if it was a thing

T.R "River"

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Hidanclub
3DS FC
4382-2201-8687
Weren't there only room for about 3 left?
This would also be the perfect time to announce that antagonist campaign if it was a thing
3 more? In a Warriors game? I doubt that, Wariors games are known to have playable character lists spanning triple digits. Hopefully Hyrule Warriors is no exception.

MooseSmuggler

Linkle Linkle Little Star
NNID
MooseSmuggler
3DS FC
3368-1611-2687
Guys, this is the Shulk thread, not the Hyrule Warriors thread. Don't get off-topic.

So, this week seems to be pretty eventful, compared to recent weeks. Perhaps I'm getting my hopes up, but I wouldn't be surprised if they went out with a bang and announced a Monday reveal. *crosses fingers*

T.R "River"

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Hidanclub
3DS FC
4382-2201-8687
Guys, this is the Shulk thread, not the Hyrule Warriors thread. Don't get off-topic.

So, this week seems to be pretty eventful, compared to recent weeks. Perhaps I'm getting my hopes up, but I wouldn't be surprised if they went out with a bang and announced a Monday reveal. *crosses fingers*
If anything though it would probably be a tie-in with the Hyrule Warriors Direct.....OR MAYBE THAT'S JUST WHAT SAKURAI WANTS US TO THINK #ReplicaMonadoMonday?

MooseSmuggler

Linkle Linkle Little Star
NNID
MooseSmuggler
3DS FC
3368-1611-2687
If anything though it would probably be a tie-in with the Hyrule Warriors Direct.....OR MAYBE THAT'S JUST WHAT SAKURAI WANTS US TO THINK #ReplicaMonadoMonday?
The Warriors Direct isn't international though. Maybe we'll get a trailer with Shulk and Ganondorf. It could work *shrugs*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom