• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Heir to the Monado. Shulk General Discussion/Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

T.R "River"

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Hidanclub
3DS FC
4382-2201-8687
I actually think it's really smart what they did as far as the model having the Monado on his back by default. They made it so Shulk only pulls out the Monado when he attacks, in order to preserve his actual "Monado-sized reach" while still maintaining a fair range for attacks.

Also, since the videos were taken down, is there anywhere else I can watch them? I wanna show a few people. :p

Last edited:

SkittleE

Smash Journeyman
I actually think it's really smart what they did as far as the model having the Monado on his back by default. They made it so Shulk only pulls out the Monado when he attacks, in order to preserve his actual "Monado-sized reach" while still maintaining a fair range for attacks.

Also, since the videos were taken down, is there anywhere else I can watch them? I wanna show a few people. :p
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKwLL0VNV5o Someone reuploaded them.
:4greninja:'d

Last edited:

Creo

Smash Champion
NNID
Creo93
:link:
I think people are exaggerating a little too much about how much of a "clone" Shulk actually is. . . It's not as bad as some are making it out to be (no one in particular am I mentioning). The only (blatant, I suppose you could say) moves that are very identical seem to be Up+B (Marth / Lucina) and D-Air (Link / Toon Link). Some other moves are similar in directions (horizontal, vertical and / or diagonal), but animation wise, they aren't complete rip-offs. That's not to say this is how I visualized Shulk, as I had stated earlier today (we've had some good idea's in this thread I thought, and of course Shulk has so much potential for originality), but that doesn't mean it's the end of all things (I understand opinion's differ, and that is fine. I'm just saying).

Edit: Unrelated to Shulk, but I do have problem with Ganondorf, though. I really don't agree with whatever Sakurai believes his priorities are. However Ganondorf plays with Falcon's move-set, he's a character that deserves something original. Not to mention that the confirmed Zelda character share final smashes as pairs too (Zelda / Sheik and Link / Toon Link). . . -sigh-

Last edited:

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I also saw the Monado symbol appearing, could this mean Shulk switches arts mid gameplay?
Sounds like Shulk will upgrade his statistics depending on the symbol used.

For example, one of symbols was for Monado Speed, and when it activated Shulk's running and walking speed increased.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue

Shulk confirmed to be Slaking with a sword.

Sounds like Shulk will upgrade his statistics depending on the symbol used.

For example, one of symbols was for Monado Speed, and when it activated Shulk's running and walking speed increased.
If there are 5 modes for Shulk, Monado Armour and Shield are basically confirmed IMO.

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces
I could see the Link comparison, but Shulk thrusts the Monado's reach down further while Link's is actually pretty lackluster. I could be totally wrong, though; this is just coming from memory
Not only this but man Shulk recovers from that a lot quicker than Link ever has. He totally muffed it on Yoshi's Story and yet managed to recover without SD'ing.

erico9001

You must find your own path to the future.
NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
The down b does look like shadow eye, now that I look at it again, so maybe the next hit is boosted. It could be a counter still.

Remember the screenshot that was taken of Shulk where it looked like he was taking a punch? That was supposed to be taken from this video, but yet there's nothing like that picture in this video. This combined with how the video names were numbers and skipped a few numbers, might mean that there was even more to the original video.

I'm repeating this a lot, but don't forget that custom moves are a thing. The up b could be something like Monado Cyclone when customized.

yoonb

Smash Journeyman
Alright, so I decided to try and uncover all the Monado symbols that appear in the video. Looks like Shulk is becoming much more unique then we realized.

I've tried to screenshot the best images of each art symbol that I could and this is the result.

First one is most definitely Monado Speed and later on in the video, you can see the kanji appear and fade away quickly in the white circle, indicating that the buff timer is over.

The rest are a bit of a guess so here goes.

I went with Monado Purge for the second one. The symbols looks pretty much the same and the symbol is green in Smash, just the way it appears in Xenoblade.

Now I think I've found Monado Buster. This resembled Monado Buster or Monado Shield, but I went with Moando Buster as I think it looked closer to the same kanji character Monado Buster had.

The last one, I went with Shield. It doesn't look similar to any of the kanji on the other Monado arts so I inevitably went with Monado Shield. If we were to go by color, this could also be Monado Armor.

There's another moment later in the video where I believe Shulk switches to Monado Enchant but I can't seem to grab a good screenshot. The only lead I have on that is that Shulk's hands start to glow red.

Last edited:

erico9001

NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
Alright, so I decided to try and uncover all the Monado symbols that appear in the video. Looks like Shulk is becoming much more unique then we realized.

I've tried to screenshot the best images of each art symbol that I could and this is the result.

First one is most definitely Monado Speed and later on in the video, you can see the kanji appear and fade away quickly in the white circle, indicating that the buff timer is over.

The rest are a bit of a guess so here goes.

I went with Monado Purge for the second one. The symbols looks pretty much the same and the symbol is green in Smash, just the way it appears in Xenoblade.

Now I think I've found Monado Buster. This resembled Monado Buster or Monado Shield, but I went with Moando Buster as I think it looked closer to the same kanji character Monado Buster had.

The last one, I went with Shield. It doesn't look similar to any of the kanji on the other Monado arts so I inevitably went with Monado Shield. If we were to go by color, this could also be Monado Armor.

There's another moment later in the video where I believe Shulk switches to Monado Enchant but I can't seem to grab a good screenshot. The only lead I have on that is that Shulk's hands start to glow red.
?? I don't recognize what the in-game symbols are.

You said Monado Buster? I never saw that in the video >.>

yoonb

Smash Journeyman
?? I don't recognize what the in-game symbols are.

You said Monado Buster? I never saw that in the video >.>
I posted an image in the spoiler, you should be able to see both the symbols from Xenoblade as well as the ones as they appear in Smash. Shulk never actually uses it, he cycles through a bunch of symbols and I believe that one of the ones he cycled through is Monado Buster.

Last edited:

erico9001

NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
Oh! He did cycle through them! I didn't even notice that, I just assumed that it was one symbol and it appeared when the mode was activated. Wow though!

Oo, and there isn't any sort of animation before he uses it. Usually an animation is used to balance the mode, but the lack of this probably means that this is indeed the talent gauge Shulk.

edit: You're right, this just became so much more interesting.

Last edited:

TechPowah

Smash Ace
Switch FC
1951-3245-1423
Oh man, his Up and Side Smashes look awesome visually. Like, Shulk stabs you, and then gives the Monado some extra throttle to really give it to you. It's seriously giving me vibes from how Squall's Gunblade from Final Fantasy VIII and Dissidia works. In fact, I think they both actually work as two-hitters like Diddy's Side Smash: The initial stab is to reel you in, and then the throttle charge is the actual sendoff. His Side Smash already immediately tied for my favorite Smash Attack beyond Bowser's Side Smash and Little Mac having the different Side Smash tiers.

Last edited:

Mechonis

Smash Journeyman
So if he had ended up choosing the Monado Buster symbol, he might have performed Monado Buster as an attack. Interesting. They may not all be pure stat changes, depending on the symbol.

T.R "River"

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Hidanclub
3DS FC
4382-2201-8687
Lol remember like 2 weeks ago when we were like "I think something big is going to happen.....I can just feel it"
WHELP

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Assuming the leak is legitimate, I'm glad to see that Shulk's in the game! Admittedly, I'm not very far in Xenoblade Chronicles (Satorl Marsh, I believe?), but he looks like he'll be interesting to play as, especially if his neutral B move alters his stats like what was described in an earlier leak.

T.R "River"

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Hidanclub
3DS FC
4382-2201-8687
I wonder what the Pic of the Day tonight will be. 0-0 There's no way Sakurai will just ignore the leaks

FiXalaS

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
4293-9334-7517
I don't understand his Neutral B, at all (mechanically, I know it switches arts but how, arts take his specials right?)

D

Deleted member

Also, does anyone else love that impact the up smash and down smash produce?
That down smash especially looks incredible. Shulk's attacks look pretty powerful and have some great range. I just hope that his side smash will be Back Slash.

I wonder what the Pic of the Day tonight will be. 0-0 There's no way Sakurai will just ignore the leaks
Hard to say... maybe he will do something to throw off people believing the leaks? Or, he can falsely disconfirm Shulk, Bowser Jr., Duck Hunt Dog, Dr. Mario, or Dark Pit.

Sol_Vent

Smash Journeyman
NNID
l-Sorubento-l
3DS FC
1375-8278-3354
So, there's a lot I could say about Shulk's gameplay in the video, but I'll just say this:

Holy crap, that air speed. (When boosted, I mean.)

I've played Yoshi for years, and I've never seen air speed like that. (Without being carried from the ground, I mean.)

MooseSmuggler

Linkle Linkle Little Star
NNID
MooseSmuggler
3DS FC
3368-1611-2687
Well, Nintendo is obviously aware, and Kotaku has contacted Nintendo asking for info. We may get something. Someone on Serebii said the leaker has been fired and sued, as well (I feel bad for them, apparently they confided the info to a friend and didn't expect them to sing like a drunk canary).

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Hard to say... maybe he will do something to throw off people believing the leaks? Or, he can falsely disconfirm Shulk, Bowser Jr., Duck Hunt Dog, Dr. Mario, or Dark Pit.
Or actually disconfirm them.

T.R "River"

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Hidanclub
3DS FC
4382-2201-8687
I wonder what the Pic of the Day tonight will be. 0-0 There's no way Sakurai will just
Well, Nintendo is obviously aware, and Kotaku has contacted Nintendo asking for info. We may get something. Someone on Serebii said the leaker has been fired and sued, as well (I feel bad for them, apparently they confided the info to a friend and didn't expect them to sing like a drunk canary).
I want to know his name so I can like pray for him or something, he's my hero.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Or actually disconfirm them.
He can't disconfirm an actual playable character. Or are you still thinking the leak is fake? I hope not. lol

Anyways, so Shulk is like a "buff" character. His attributes are modified when changes his stance? That sounds like a very unique character to me.

zippy3214

Smash Journeyman
He can't disconfirm an actual playable character. Or are you still thinking the leak is fake? I hope not. lol

Anyways, so Shulk is like a "buff" character. His attributes are modified when changes his stance? That sounds like a very unique character to me.
Yeah, the situation with Shulk is kind of like the Robin reveal to me. I'm surprised, but now warmed up to the idea and am ready to play as him.

MooseSmuggler

Linkle Linkle Little Star
NNID
MooseSmuggler
3DS FC
3368-1611-2687
GUYS!! Video leak?? I need to watch it!! Any link please :(((((((
They keep getting taken down when they get uploaded. I caught a glimpse of the Bowser Jr video (someone on Serebii linked to a timestamp that shows his screen KO) before it got taken down the second time.

Kikkipoptart12

Smash Champion
NNID
Kikkipop 12
3DS FC
0104-0018-0045
I still think shulk move set is a place holder, we don't know how old that video was so his move set may have change but I'm happy that he is in the game.

SkittleE

Smash Journeyman
Remember the screenshot that was taken of Shulk where it looked like he was taking a punch? That was supposed to be taken from this video, but yet there's nothing like that picture in this video. This combined with how the video names were numbers and skipped a few numbers, might mean that there was even more to the original video.
It was in the video, actually. In the one with Shulk's victory animation, right before the game finishes, there was that punch.

skstylez

Smash Journeyman
I still think shulk move set is a place holder, we don't know how old that video was so his move set may have change but I'm happy that he is in the game.
I just hope he has his backslash. Everything else looks fine to me. It's a lvl 3 CPU, Ganon and Charizard look equally bad with them controlling it

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
So, with the leak, do you think it's a safe bet to say sometime this week for Shulk's official reveal?
If our Cunning God of Death really isn't playable, I can't think of any characters to be announced... so yeah, either this week or the week after...

Killswitch0078

Smash Rookie
So, with the leak, do you think it's a safe bet to say sometime this week for Shulk's official reveal?
I hope so.
I'm actually fine with Shulk's moveset right now, especially since we haven't even seen 100% of it. Since Monado Buster probably isn't his final smash, what will it be? I've always thought it would be Shulk having a vision, every opponent moving around for a couple of seconds, and then they're locked into moving like that after the vision ends, along with Shulk getting increased attack power. It'd be a really interesting Final Smash, at least.

Edit: Wait, I don't remember, what was his Side B? I know B was probably to change the Monado's mode, his Up B was Air Slash, and his Down B was either a counter or Shadow Eye, but what about his Side B? Hoping for Slit Edge or Back Slash myself.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom