• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Heir to the Monado. Shulk General Discussion/Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bravetriforcer

Smash Ace
Well you win this one, Shulk fans. I had my doubts a few months ago, but by last week I was pretty sure Shulk was in. But now you guys know for sure, and can rest easy. I hope the leak proves completely true and the Ridley thread will join you in coming weeks. Meanwhile, I will patiently await that time that Shulk confirms by proxy.

I've never even played Xenoblade, I just love this guy's lines. Solid gold from accent to third-person arrogance.

.Shìkì

Smash Ace
Shulk's moveset:
Up special: Definitely air slash, he even yells the name.
Marths Dolphin Slash renamed.
Down special: Could be a counter, but the animation looks like shulk's 'Shadow eye' art, right down to the glinting eye.
Links UP-B stripped of recovery and renamed. (Could also be the down smash though)
Side special: Not shown
I think its the thrust that looks like Marths Shield Breaker.
Neutral special: Mode change, appears to activate monado enchant (glowing hands) or monado speed (glowing feet)

Up smash: Plants monado in the ground and extends the blade
Side smash: Stabbing attack
Down smash: Clockwise spinning attack that hits both sides
Things in red, + Down Air: Links Sword-In-Stone renamed. With what Sakurai did with Robin this looks incredibly lame and unmotivated (if the videos aren't brawl mod footage or extremely outdated). Huge bummer.

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
Things in red, + Down Air: Links Sword-In-Stone renamed. With what Sakurai did with Robin this looks incredibly lame and unmotivated (if the videos aren't brawl mod footage or extremely outdated). Huge bummer.
Given as I believe this leak, yeah, I'll admit it's a bit lame to see his moves be so similar to the other sword users. But, that's just the moves shown here and tilts and the missing special could be very different. Not to mention that since he is Stance Shulk after all, that system might be the thing that Sakurai banked on to make him feel unique.

Still sucks as I had (in my opinion) better ideas for even the specials we do see, but eh. Just glad he's in at all.

foolssigma

Smash Ace
NNID
NYTims
Yay for the Bronados! I agree with people saying unfortunately we found out without an epic CGI trailer. Oh well, we still got him.

I also have to say, I can't entirely tell yet, but I hope he isn't too cloney. I'll use him regardless but I'm a little scared from the Marth moves.

Jerm

U Feelin' It?
NNID
Jermalie0
3DS FC
4940-5666-9945
just buff zard up its easy to hack this game im sorry but shulk is just a texture hack with swaped moves from link marth and C.falcon
then how do you explain Bowser Jr's moveset and animations?

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Tbh though, I feel my hype would have been even higher if I saw his trailer first.

Now unless there's an off chance that a certain other character I want is revealed along him (which isn't impossible since we know that isn't all) I probably won't be screaming and jumping excitedly during his trailer as I had hoped to :c

Mechonis

Smash Journeyman
Please take note that no one was actually playing this either, it was all prerecorded footage being shown on a large screen to multiple people at the ESRB so that they could determine a rating for the game.

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
a lot of it looks like it comes from diddy and kirby if you see him when he flies in the air he has the fire from diddy's jetpack and just look at his jump and just seem way to fake
Seriously guy? Of course the fire looks similar, it's fire serving a similar purpose in the same damn game.

Unless you wanna substantiate that use of the word "a lot" with some clips of comparison, you need to get off this crusade to make it seem like somehow everybody else is missing something obvious.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Congrats guys! Not a big fan of what I've seen of Shulk's moveset (except the amazing kanji thing), but I am glad he isn't regardless!

Jerm

U Feelin' It?
NNID
Jermalie0
3DS FC
4940-5666-9945
a lot of it looks like it comes from diddy and kirby if you see him when he flies in the air he has the fire from diddy's jetpack and just look at his jump and just seem way to fake
then how do you explain how all the confirmed characters have their new SSB4 animations, like Bowser and Kirby?

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
then how do you explain how all the confirmed characters have their new SSB4 animations, like Bowser and Kirby?
Bcuz! Don't you know that the best Brawl modders in the world exist only to make fake leaks and never share their creations with any one? People are good at this, trust me. That's pretty much all I have to keep repeating to convince myself that this is fake.

NocturnalQuill

Smash Journeyman
I was starting to worry that he hadn't made it in. Never played Xenoblade, but I'm glad that his very large fanbase got him.

smashingDoug

Smash Lord
i don't know and i don't give a s*ht anymore
Bcuz! Don't you know that the best Brawl modders in the world exist only to make fake leaks and never share their creations with any one? People are good at this, trust me. That's pretty much all I have to keep repeating to convince myself that this is fake.
ha real mature i just trying real here

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Given as I believe this leak, yeah, I'll admit it's a bit lame to see his moves be so similar to the other sword users. But, that's just the moves shown here and tilts and the missing special could be very different. Not to mention that since he is Stance Shulk after all, that system might be the thing that Sakurai banked on to make him feel unique.

Still sucks as I had (in my opinion) better ideas for even the specials we do see, but eh. Just glad he's in at all.
Yeah, I was a bit salty in that he seemed to borrow moves from Ike, Link, Marth, and even Roy, but I got over it. Posted this elsewhere.

It's like, well.... there's this girl that you are really into. You talk to her at work all the time, she's beautiful and you share the same interests.

She then admits she like you.... but you find out she was born a man.

Now, listen, it's the sort of thing that can take you for surprise. This situation is not how you thought it was and this person isn't exactly who you thought they were either.

That being said, I'm an open enough guy to realize that I am really into this girl, and yeah, maybe things aren't going to be exactly the way I thought they were going to be, but I still got what I wanted. She's awesome and she's into me so I'll definitely give it a shot.

What I'm saying is, after the initial shock wore off, I'm just glad Shulk is in Smash Bros.

Get hype.

Last edited:

Jerm

U Feelin' It?
NNID
Jermalie0
3DS FC
4940-5666-9945
Lmfao ikr- these kids that still believe this is all fake all share that ignorant mindset xD I'm baffled with the excuses I'm seeing.

SkittleE

Smash Journeyman
I...oh dear. I wish I could be excited about this, I really do, but I'm not. I just...I can't believe that the Ninka leak that everyone thought was so dumb that it was obviously fake is real. My poor Shulk...

Jackiecruise69

Smash Rookie
NNID
JackieCruise69
3DS FC
0430-9597-4272
Hey guys, another supporter here~ :3
I finally decided to join up since I noticed this thread for Shulk existed. He's my most wanted as a Newcomer since Xenoblade is my favorite game to date.
those leaked videos were nice to wake up to this morning though, I almost thought I was still dreaming. I'm pretty confident in this leak now although I was very skeptical before. Most leaks don't provide more than one video, a crappy one at that. These are pretty solid videos f you ask me.
But anyway, I can't wait to see Shulk's reveal video when it finally comes. I'm hoping for something epic to do him justice.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
On a side note, any of you noticed Shulk's logo? It looks almost like a cutoff of the Monado at the loading screens, minus the symbol in the center

If it is fake (which I am now really doubting and have come to terms with most of it now) it's pretty well done

Flynn.Scifo

Smash Ace
Well I'm not doubting Shulk's inclusion or the manado's power but the leaks ^^
When I think of this stuning unofficial Mario Ad some guy made a while ago, I know some people are capable of crazy things like this.
Only sakurai words are gold to me.

.Shìkì

Smash Ace
Lmfao ikr- these kids that still believe this is all fake all share that ignorant mindset xD I'm baffled with the excuses I'm seeing.
Thing is, the video is from the 3DS version right? Then where the hell are those black outlines used on 3DS to make characters more visible? Not many of the characters there have them, if any at all. You can easily spot it on Bowser Jr. (that there aren'T any, i mean) . So at the very least it COULD be extremely early footage where a lot wasn't finished... And if it was the ESRB-stuff why wouldn't they use screencapture? Anyway, enough of that.

mygamecube

Smash Lord
NNID
mygamecube
3DS FC
4596-9526-5701
Now I REALLY need to get to beating Xenoblade before one of the trophies spoil the ending or something lol

I was indifferent either way with Shulks inclusion, but I'm glad for you guys that he's in, and on top of that I'm glad I get to hear that awesome music in Smash 4. Bionis Knee/Gaur Plains.....damn. :awesome:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Thing is, the video is from the 3DS version right? Then where the hell are those black outlines used on 3DS to make characters more visible? Not many of the characters there have them, if any at all. You can easily spot it on Bowser Jr. (that there aren'T any, i mean) . So at the very least it COULD be extremely early footage where a lot wasn't finished... And if it was the ESRB-stuff why wouldn't they use screencapture? Anyway, enough of that.
Black outlines can be turned off. Confirmed a LONG time ago by Sakurai. It doesn't disprove this.

Jerm

U Feelin' It?
NNID
Jermalie0
3DS FC
4940-5666-9945
Sakurai explained the outline mechanic on the 3DS a loooooong time ago. You can customize it to your liking, which means you can have a thick outline or no outline at all.

AeriusAstrum

Smash Rookie
The side stab is his fsmash (and also appears to be Slit Edge), the spin is his dsmash (could be a spinning version of stream edge), the move where he plants the monado's hilt to the ground and extends it out is his usmash. They're all completely unlike any other sword user's moves. The only moves shown in this that are at all similar are Air Slash, which is similar to Dolphin slash but more vertical (more importantly, it does look faithful to air slash from xenoblade), and the dair, which is very reminiscent of link, but that's a good thing, since link and toon link's dair is amazing. The counter move might not even be a counter, all we know is that is looks like shadow eye.
I think people are overreacting, he has entirely unique moves and animations, if he wasn't a sword user, I doubt people would care. How many dropkicks (cap, shiek, zamus etc.), uppercuts (cap, mario, luigi, dr.mario, gdorf etc.), meteor attacks (pikachu, luigi, peach, palutena etc.) do we have? LOADS OF EM.

TheFearsomeRyan

Smash Journeyman
lines can be turned off and line colors change in team matches

Bosspon

The Boss of Pon
NNID
KingofSayains
I really want to be hyped about this.

I really do.

But remember Gematsu?

I know this isn't the same, but I'm not 100% on this. I'm going to be waiting for a Shulk trailer before I celebrate. And I know people are coming here and congratulating us, but I still think it's too early. Anything can be faked and as long there is .000001% chance that Shulk isn't in, I'm going to stay skeptical.

The Chrom thread had their hopes dashed, so we should be careful, guys. The same could happen to us. Don't count your Telethia before they... "hatch".

.Shìkì

Smash Ace
Thanks for clearing the outline up, and it is all over anyway - speculating was fun while it lasted, but the videos (or at least some of them) have been claimed by Nintendo and are thus not visible anymore. We get semiclone-fusion Shulk with derp face...Great.

(EDIT :Unless the footage was years old and they were still testing stuff)

Last edited:

Flynn.Scifo

Smash Ace
Shulk's moveset being sucked from other known characters, Bowser JR being a clone of Diddy, Ganondorf being Falcon's clone like always and the addition of Dr Mario and Dark Pit who seam to be perfect useless clones.
Nothing bugs you really ?
If it really is the "smash bros reveal game" grand finale, it's all about clones. I can't picture Sakurai doing that. All newcomers officially announced so far (exept Lucina that wasnt planed at the beginning) are all unique and very well built.
Remember we've seen sakurai at that Xenoblade concert with the monado replica a very long time ago. Shulk isn't a late addition, no way for him to be a clone of some sort.

Well anyway it's just my thoughts, looks fishy.

.Shìkì

Smash Ace
Shulk's moveset being sucked from other known characters, Bowser JR being a clone of Diddy, Ganondorf being Falcon's clone like always and the addition of Dr Mario and Dark Pit who seam to be perfect useless clones.
Nothing bugs you really ?
If it really is the "smash bros reveal game" grand finale, it's all about clones. I can't picture Sakurai doing that. All newcomers officially announced so far (exept Lucina that wasnt planed at the beginning) are all unique and very well built.
Remember we've seen sakurai at that Xenoblade concert with the monado replica a very long time ago. Shulk isn't a late addition, no way for him to be a clone of some sort.

Well anyway it's just my thoughts, looks fishy.
Well with Nintendo claiming copy right infringement, the possibility of that beeing fake just fell into bottomless pits... Sadly.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
It looks like the writing is on the wall now.

I can't say it's not a little bittersweet, I don't like the idea of Doctor Mario and Dark Pit being in. I'm thrilled for Shulk though, I hope we get a trailer for him.

I'm still holding out for Isaac and Mewtwo though, you could say Isaac has a lot of competition (considering there's at most only 5 characters left) but then you could have said the same about Bowser Jr. or Duck Hunt Dog.

MeekMeek93

Smash Cadet
I don't know if I can believe this leak at all. The Bowser Jr. car looks pretty convincing, but Shulk's moves look like they've been pulled from other sword characters. I believe that Sakurai would make Shulk a unique character with his Monado arts. Also, the victory theme was just blatantly ripped from the end of You Will Know Our Names with no change at all. All characters (except Sonic) have their own victory theme that was made for Smash Bros, they don't rip the song right out of their series. They did a good job though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom