• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Heir to the Monado. Shulk General Discussion/Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Congratz to you guys. Shulk has seen the future, and so have you.
Damn, that was a good line. Kind of wish I thought of it.

We'll have to wait and see when it comes to his moves, hopefully Sakurai gives us a newcomer trailer for him that really showcases his moveset. Until then, there's only one thing I really feel like doing as a huge Shulk fan:

Strut

View attachment 22983
"You can tell by the way I use my walk, I'm a woman's Man, no time to talk."

So, yeah. Congrats Shulk fans. He looks kind of fun to use. Though I hope that he doesn't have too many moves similar to Marth.

KamikazePotato

Smash Journeyman
Thanks for your congratulations, and I'm sorry things didn't pan out for you. Isaac has always been high up on the list of characetrs I wanted.

Did anything else think that Shulk's up smash where he sticks the Monado on the ground and activates it looks really cool? It's at the very start of his gameplay video.

TechPowah

Smash Ace
Switch FC
1951-3245-1423
I'm a little sad to not see my own top pick Andy, but I guess it's worth it if we get the roster we are.

Still, i'm not breaking out the celebratory Smash 64 "Congratulations" until the Sakurai/the site makes it official. :p

TheTaoDragon

Smash Apprentice
WHY did I forget to censor that OUT!?
...geez, I need to be more careful.
Whoops.
He's not changing to George Lucas....

Where's the moderator when you need to force edit? :p (2nd time I'm requesting lol)
I changed it.

Also, just one more thing that I believe I should point out: We really don't know how Shulk's Counter functions, since I believe we only saw the startup animation, and not the attack itself.

Last edited:

TheFearsomeRyan

Smash Journeyman
Ugh, there are only two worse options for Shulk, 1.) Not being in the game or 2) Ike Clone.

Better then nothing I guess.
Well keep in mind that there's still custom move sets. This might not even be his default moveset and even if it is I'm sure there will be more options.

Hokori

Great King of Evil
I'm not really going to comment on his moveset much. It's just gonna have to be one of those things where I'll have to wait to play the game for myself to see how I really feel about it.

Rohalina

Smash Cadet
NNID
Rohan21
3DS FC
4854-6423-3624
I honestly can't believe that Shulk is in. Rosalina and Shulk were the two characters I wanted the most. OK people, some moves are similar to other characters, but the custom moves are unknown still! We shouldn't be complaining about the similar moves, but happy to have a brand new character that represents a fantastic game. We won't know if/how much of a clone he is until the official trailer and the Monado mode could make him really unique. Give it time!

Bosspon

The Boss of Pon
NNID
KingofSayains
Holy crap 148 guests?!

Anyway I need to wait until Sakurai shows Shulk's trailer. I'm not buying that this is his final moveset. It looks like they ripped off Marth's Up-B and and a bunch of other moves such as Link's down aerial because they were short on time. It's likely he was still in progress at the time and they just needed to show him so that ESRB could rate the game.

TheFearsomeRyan

Smash Journeyman
I honestly doubt he'll be too cloneish.

What really sells this leak for me though is Bowser Jr. There's no way that could have been faked this quickly.

The Monkey King

Smash Rookie
For all those worried about Shulk's moveset, I think Monado mode changes will be his saving grace and make him a very interesting character.

I can't recall an Smash Bros character with such an ability.

TheFearsomeRyan

Smash Journeyman
For all those worried about Shulk's moveset, I think Monado mode changes will be his saving grace and make him a very interesting character.

I can't recall an Smash Bros character with such an ability.
I'm still a bit confused as to how Monado Mode is suppose to work?

Rohalina

Smash Cadet
NNID
Rohan21
3DS FC
4854-6423-3624
I'm still a bit confused as to how Monado Mode is suppose to work?
There are supposedly different modes that change how Shulk works, something like this:

Mode 1: Massive attack - Terrible Defense
Mode 2: High attack - Low Defense
Mode 3: Balanced
Mode 4: High defence - Low Attack
Mode 5: Huge defence - Terrible Defence

CheckmateChuck

Smash Journeyman
Congratulations, dear Shulkers!
Without Isaac, this now seems like the place to be if you like blonde, highly versatile swordsmen. Happy he made it in after all.

Mechonis

Smash Journeyman
Here's what I wonder, custom moves wise.

If they are slight variation of custom moves, how will that go with mode changing? Just different modes? Maybe he'll have some completely different moves. Even his counter might be switched out.

One of the best things that I saw which I liked, is that Shulk still has his goofy jump from Xenoblade! Rofl.

Last edited:

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Ugh. The fact that cyclone, buster, and purge aren't in his move set make me want to cry.

One of them better be his side special.

I don't even mind the neutral special thing, but I hope this character feels like Shulk when I play him. From what I see he won't, and that makes me sad.

Severn

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1478-4772-7152
Ugh. The fact that cyclone, buster, and purge aren't in his move set make me want to cry.

One of them better be his side special.

I don't even mind the neutral special thing, but I hope this character feels like Shulk when I play him. From what I see he won't, and that makes me sad.
Cyclone and Buster both some of his strongest moves, wouldn't surprise if they were his final smash.

Last edited:

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Cyclone maybe as it's the last art unlocked, Buster is just the bread and butter Monado damage art. Chain attack would be the best final smash, but I could accept Cyclone. Buster would be a huge disappointment.

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
THE. HYPE. IS. SO. MUCH. HYPE. I'M SO EXCITED! SHUUUUUUUULK! HHHHNNNNNGGGGG. ALL THE WAITING AND HYPE HAS PAID OFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

MegaLagann

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MegaLagann
Well...I wake up to this. Hey #TeamReal wins and we finally get #MonadoMonday

Now I know people are disappointed with how Shulk plays so far, I was too, BUT I wouldn't judge a character based on a crappy cpu. I'll wait till we get a trailer to judge, and so should everyone else. Being calm and waiting for further details is a better option then ranting on the internet, when you could be eating crow in little time.

Also...Shulk's victory theme...is You Will Know Our Names...hehehehehehehe

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
Well...I wake up to this. Hey #TeamReal wins and we finally get #MonadoMonday

Now I know people are disappointed with how Shulk plays so far, I was too, BUT I wouldn't judge a character based on a crappy cpu. I'll wait till we get a trailer to judge, and so should everyone else. Being calm and waiting for further details is a better option then ranting on the internet, when you could be eating crow in little time.

Also...Shulk's victory theme...is You Will Know Our Names...hehehehehehehe
YOOOOOO #MONADOMONDAY LIVESSSSSSS

Last edited:

SilverSoul24

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SilverSoul94
Switch FC
SW-8066-4257-6220
Looks like I'm late to the party... 0_o But it seems like #MonadoMonday was destined to happen, after all. Congrats, everybody!

Honestly, I'm not going to even bother complaining about his moveset. Is it exactly what I had in mind? No, but I got Shulk like I wanted, so I'm not going to be picky. He looks fun, and the Monado symbols will probably look schaweeeeeet in 3D.

And You Will Know Our Names as the victory tune... I actually squealed in excitement. :p

Last edited:

FinalStarmen

Smash Ace
#HappyBelatedMonadoMonday

To believe waaay back in page 34, I was anxiously worried over the possibility Sakurai would consign Shulk to an Assist Trophy role. Shulk's announcement trailer may be upon us.

Last edited:

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
Funny enough, Shulk reminds me of Project M's version of Roy with a few of his attack animations, but I highly doubt he is some sort of clone. Even if he is, whatevs. I'm just glad to have him!! Definitely going to be my main.

The Monkey King

Smash Rookie
All he needs is a badass OTT Final Smash to seal the deal for me.

Chain Attack, pls Samurai.

Worst case scenario is Monado Buster is his FS

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
I wish I could hear Shulk's voice in the videos though. :(
You can clearly hear him say "Air Slash" at least.

Congratulations, dear Shulkers!
Without Isaac, this now seems like the place to be if you like blonde, highly versatile swordsmen. Happy he made it in after all.
The correct term is Bronado!

Funny enough, Shulk reminds me of Project M's version of Roy with a few of his attack animations, but I highly doubt he is some sort of clone. Even if he is, whatevs. I'm just glad to have him!! Definitely going to be my main.
He has moves that remind me of Ike, Roy, Link, and Marth..... he's more Frankenstein then straight up clone if anything.

Alright guys, I'm going to stop being salty about not agreeing with some of the move set choices and will just try to enjoy the fact that it looks like he made it in.

Just please give me Purge or Buster as his side b.

erico9001

You must find your own path to the future.
NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
i think this is a hack for brawl. he plays a little to much like marth
Nope, it's real guys! There is no way this is a brawl mod, what with Charizard smoking at high damage, the different graphic people have when being hit, and a lot of other details.

In this video Shulk uses Monado Speed and Monado Enchant, which first show their corresponding Chinese symbols, and then put a glowing graphic around the part of Shulk that is effected. With Monado Speed, his feet are blue, and with Monado Enchant, his hands are red.

It seems that his side smash and up smash are him pointing his monado in the direction of the opponent and then activating it in order to hurt them. It's kind of weird, lol, but w/e. They both look like they have really good range, especially the up smash.

Up B is air slash, looks like Marth's.

Down B is a counter of sort, but given Shulk's stance when he uses it, it appears like he's going to do a dodge attack rather than countering.

His neutral air is partially shown, but he lands on the ground. It seems like the slash starts low and will go up.

Down air looks like it's a meteor smash

Down smash is a spinny thing. When Shulk first uses it on Ganondorf, Ganondorf is barely hurt, but the second time Ganondorf is really hurt, and between the two hits ganondorf wasnn't hit once. Shulk has Monado enchant on during the second time. There's also the possibility that the Monado is most powerful if the opponent is hit by the blue blade of light rather than the red metal part.

Up tilt looks like Marth's but with much better range.

I think he might use his down tilt at 30 seconds in. It's hard to see.

At 44 seconds I think he uses his first jab attack. Also hard to see. Looks like one of his auto attacks though.

Fighter stance seems to be either "Way to beat it!" or "We did it!" It's really hard to make out what he's saying though.

I think that the side B might be Monado speed and the B might be Monado enchant, due to seeing nothing else that could be those. As for cutsom moves, I could see Monado Cyclone being an up b, and the modes being exchanged for other modes or attacks.

Victory theme is Those Who Bear Their Name/You Will Know Our Names. In the victory screen, Shulk's animation is the same as when he puts his weapon away in the game, except he then strikes a victorious superman pose.

I'll admit, the feeling of this is not as good as if Shulk came from a trailer. The CPU being junky with him also contributes to this. And the fact it's a low qual recording from the 3ds version. Shulk will still be awesome though!! ...and he's in!! Shulk!! From Xenoblade!! :D!! Geeze, I'm so glad to finally have this. He's just so deserving. That game is just so deserving.

Maybe I will make gifs of the moves now

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Hmmm I am the only one who feels like something's off ? I don't know I just can't rejoice yet.
They just posted a ton more screen shots, http://imgur.com/a/PzeCw .

I think this is getting a bit too hard to disprove.

Get hyped for Shulk! I actually kind of like that he puts the Monado away between moves, it's a pretty unique trait.

Flying-Maro

Smash Rookie
Guys, I can't express how happy I am. SHULK IS IN SMASH BROS!
I'm so happy guys I'm crying tears of joy here :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom