• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Heir to the Monado. Shulk General Discussion/Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

DuwangAnon

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0516-7668-7793
Shulk will have a vision of Link getting kill by a mechon and then he will save Link just in time before the mechon kill him, and Shulk and Link will join forces to stop stop the mechon from killing everyone.
Howabout: Shulk saves Robin! And they team up against an army and take it out all by their twosome?

erico9001

You must find your own path to the future.
NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
Honestly, guys, you are starting to make me miss those days... When Isaac and Shulk "flamewars" were something usual. During that time Smash Boards was interesting and fun. I never knew about Xenoblade before Smash Boards. And somehow, Shulk was brought to Isaac thread. During those days, some stupid things were said from both sides... Regardless, those discussion were possitive for both sides, because the whole forum was able to know the triumphs and flaws of both series, introducing those to new people.

I have to say, that Smart and Respectful are two words that describe correctly the Shulk supporters of the past. They had solid well constructed arguments, paragraphs of those. and it was good, they proved that i was wrong in somethings. I was underating Xenoblade, even before playing it and then they shown me facts and then i came here to this thread and i was able to see images, music, videos and arguments. And they made me want to play Xenoblade. And when i did it found an amazing game with a really deep options of exploration, inmense duration and an interesting concepts in game play, personally Action RPGs are not my favourite genre, but Xenoblade was convincing in anything, soundtrack, designs...

But the best thing of Xenoblade is the history and how the characters are builded. The history of Xenoblade is a great history. Great histories are about changing the apocalyptic, inevitable, obscure fate of the world. Great histories are about people being able to overcome impassable obstacles willingness, friendship and love, and im not talking of the love of the movies, im talking about a love that is beyond that.
And that is not something new, but Xenoblade aplied this correctly. With emphasis in the personality of the characters, making of Xenoblade an unique experience.

Nowadays, this thread has become just the spam hype thread of Smash, all what made great Shulk followers in the SSB4 character discussion section seems to be gone. They used to be the best fan base of this forum, but at some point the confidence turned in to arrogance and the greatests Shulk supporters are not active as they used to be, the strenght of Shulk followers today is based on number. Otherwise they would be defenseless, they seem unable to construct an argument instead the would dedicate one line to answer you, a random image and pointless links. And that is really sad for me, a part of my essence has banished with the disappearance of legit discussions.

Despite that i have to admit that my attitude towards an specific user was dumb, im a human being and humans usually do stupid things when they dont know what to do. And you know. Im not afraid of being like that, a human. Nintendo is something important in my life, is part of my childhood and Pokemon specifically was one of the most important parts of it. and some of the sentences of that specific user are a crime, heresy, there are not enough adjetives to describe it.

And im just dumb, but thats what my life is about, im a random dumb guy who loves videogames. For me, videogames are important. I have new goal that im going to pursue. And i know that is going to be impossible to reach, for that reason im going to accomplish that. Time is going to put everything in the place that it deserves to be, is going to take a long time, but i know that im able to do it. You will remember this post, you will remember my name.

And at the end, i just hope for Shulk being confirmed as soon as possible now, because that is the happy ending that everyone deserves. Have a nice day, people. Im leaving now, but im going to return, one day...
Geeze, that's a really long, civil flame post.

Let's be clear, we have arguments and lots of them. I hope you would understand that there are only so many arguments that can be developed, and we have no point to continually repeat them.

Since you're disappointed at not seeing arguments, I'll give you some. I've already posted these in this thread, it's just been rewritten for the rate their chance thread a little bit.

1) Sakurai's tweet of a real life Monado. 8/30/2013

http://operationrainfall.com/2013/08/30/sakurai-tweets-xenoblade-press-start/

Sakurai tweeted a picture of a monado that was at the press-start concert. It seems to have just been on the concert floor, by the musicians, for some reason. Perhaps Xenoblade music was being played? Nobody knows. Also, nobody knows the true intentions behind Sakurai's tweet. He could be a huge fan of the series or could have just found it neat. However you want to take it, there's only positives that can be taken from this as far is Shulk's inclusion in Smash 4.

2) Shulk is a commonly wanted character

Out west, as seen by this thread, Shulk's support thread, vgtribune's Smash Poll 2012, and "Shulk for Super Smash Bros 4" fb page, Shulk is a largely requested character. Furthermore, out in Sakurai's habitat, Japan, Shulk seems even more popular than he is here.
Other: Shulk gets quite a lot of requests. Shulk is easily the most requested Nintendo character from a series not represented yet with a playable character in Smash Bros. A distant second would be Starfy. There are several Japanese Smash fans that mention Punch-Out and Little Mac's "overseas" popularity. Isaac (Robin in Japan) and Matthew get few requests. Saki and Isa also get few requests.
Sakurai is paying attention to the people's requests which is seen by an interview with him about his decision not to put chrom in. Also, many of our top requested characters have made it into the game, whether characters, assist trophies, or stage hazards.

3) Shulk can be easily translated into Smash 4

This may seem obvious to people but it's nonetheless important. The main argument people had against Ridley before that Nintendo Direct was that he is too big, implying he would not easily translate into Smash. The opposite can be used as an argument for Shulk. It's easy to make and implement a unique moveset for him. His auto attacks, arts, and monado arts lay out the potential moves he can have. When making the moveset for my ssbb mod, I didn't have to be very creative at all; although, I could have been had I had the resources Sakurai does.

4) "But I am no ordinary swordsman!"

Robin said this in the announcement today, and the truth of the matter is, this is important to people and Sakurai. In the interview about his decision about Chrom, Sakurai said a part of the decision is that Chrom would not have been unique enough and would have been essentially just another swordsman.

The "no similar swordsmen" argument derived from the "no clones" argument, and it's valid for characters like Chrom or Lucina. While this argument is often used by people looking for arguments against Shulk, it actually is more of an argument for Shulk since Shulk isn't just another swordsman, he is the wielder of the Monado, a powerful and unique weapon. For those who haven't played Xenoblade, the Monado opens up like a banana (Bonado
) and a beam of energy comes out. This beam can vary in length, so it's not like it would have to be just like a sword with shock flags. More importantly, the Monado has a number of Monado Arts that could acts as special attacks such as Monado Purge, Monado Cyclone, Monado Eater, Monado Speed, Monado Armor, and Monado Shield. The game also has a number of battle mechanics such as Shulk's future seeing, tension, and various debuffs that could be implemented into his moveset if wanted.

5) Voice actor of Shulk has stated he's Voice acting in new game(s)

"I have been working on a new game recently. I can't say what it is yet but I was very pleased to see it trending on Twitter when it was announced. It's very satisfying to know there's a buzz and anticipation for a project you're involved in."

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2013/03/ninterview_meet_adam_howden_voice_actor_for_shulk

"Done some VO on several very exciting games so far this year. I'll tell you what they are when I know my balls won't be cut off for telling."

https://twitter.com/A_HOWDZ

6) Monolith Soft is the maker of Xenoblade

Monolith Software used to be third party but came to be owned by Nintendo before Xenoblade was released and so is 1st party. This means Sakurai is free to use Shulk if he wants, without special permissions having to be made. This also makes Monolith the only 1st party developer company without a representation in the Smash bros series. Furthermore, Monolith Soft also worked on Smash bros brawl, which puts into place even further connections to Sakurai.

7) Gematsu leak is hurt but not dead

It's not necessarily dead. The Gematsu leak predicted a ton of characters, and we still have that sneaky spirit from Rythm Heaven that was spotted in Smash Run. It's possible that the Gematsu leaker came across some misinformation, like, perhaps, seeing a completed Chrom model and assuming he's a character. He explained that he doesn't know when the characters will be announced and that Sakurai changes his mind, but he asserted that Shulk is definitely in the game. It's probably best we hear an explanation from the leaker before we officially declare it 'dead.' Also, there are rumors that suggest that perhaps Shulk was planned to be announced but then was moved to a later date for some reason (possibly because people were expecting it), and the monolith developer who retweeted the character reveal could have been mistaken because of the same reason the Gematsu leaker could have been. However, it's no doubt that there is some explaining that needs to be done in order for the Gematsu leak to hold much credibility.

8) Xenoblade's sequel

The sequel to Xenoblade, Xenoblade Chronicles X, has an unknown amount of connection to Xenoblade. We know some guy at Nintendo treehouse said, "It's more of a spiritual sequel" when roughly asked how much the game relates to Xenoblade. We know there's a girl with two monado hairpins. We know that there's a nopon with the Satata's Japanese name (also sports similar glasses to Satata). I have my own theories about the game, but I won't go into them here. Anyways, connections to Shulk raise his relevance by lowering his obscurity and raising his foot print in Nintendo's timeline of gaming.

The sequel also improves the '6) Monolith Soft argument' because it means Monolith will play an even larger role in Nintendo.

9) Xenoblade is a masterpiece

Some awards (only the ones where Xenoblade got first place):

IGN [US] - 2012 Best Wii U / Wii Game

IGN [US] - 2012 People's Choice Best Wii U / Wii Game

Nintendo Life - Staff Award for Wii Retail Game of 2012

Nintendo Life - Community Award for Wii Retail Game of 2012

TechTudo [Brazil] - Best Wii-exclusive game of 2012 (in Portuguese).

Gamespot [UK] - Editor's Choice Best Wii Game of 2011

MMGN - 2011 Best RPG

RPG Fan - Best Sound of 2012, Best RPG of 2012

RPGamer - Best Music, Best Console RPG, Best Story, Best Overall RPG of the Year

Slant Magazine - #1 in Top 25 Best Games of 2012

PixlBit - Game of the Year 2012

The reason why you might find that Shulk supporters want him so bad is because of how great of a game Xenoblade is. It's seen as the game that turned around the JRPG genre. It has great story, astounding music, fun combat, and the best graphics that a wii game can have (this game tried to be hd on a non-hd platform!).

Xenoblade being such a highly rated game improves Shulk's chances because it makes it more likely for Sakurai to appreciate the game and Shulk, even if he has not played the game.

10) Japanese voice actor of Shulk, Asanuma Shintaro, tweeted that he is hoping he can fill us in with some good news soon with #Xenoblade

https://twitter.com/sogorukyo/status/476017276584333313

As is the nature with Smash 4 newcomer discussion, these arguments do not individually prove his inclusion but each serve to raise his chances by a little bit. However, it's these arguments that keep the chances for Shulk at a place higher than any other potential newcomer.

We haven't really had many arguments raised against Shulk either. In the RTC thread, Shulk is still sitting at 85% chance, which is only 6% lower from when Gematsu was believed to be 100% correct. Furthermore, Shulk's want rates within a percentage point of both Ridley and K. Rool.
Most people already believe that he is highly likely to be in Smash 4 and also want him to be in. The situation is far different now from what it used to be.

Last edited:

Hokori

Great King of Evil
Howabout: Shulk saves Robin! And they team up against an army and take it out all by their twosome?
I'd be so down for some Xenoblade x Fire Emblem hype. So yeah, basically just give me an event match where I can team up with Ike and just slay **** on the Xenoblade stage.

I'm about to start foaming from the thought of that omg...

yoonb

Smash Journeyman
Jeez, you guys go so ham on this thread.

I remember when we were stuck on like 40 pages a couple weeks back, with probably one or two posts a day.

That being said, I was here before most of you so :troll:

Kikkipoptart12

Smash Champion
NNID
Kikkipop 12
3DS FC
0104-0018-0045
Then Shulk find out that Link was trying to save Zelda from Metal face ( Ganon and Metal face join forces to take over the world) and then they go on a quest to save Zelda.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Then Shulk find out that Link was trying to save Zelda from Metal face ( Ganon and Metal face join forces to take over the world) and then they go on a quest to save Zelda.
Sounds like something someone would do with Xenoblade Chronicles and Zelda action figures.

Hokori

Great King of Evil
Last edited:

Kikkipoptart12

Smash Champion
NNID
Kikkipop 12
3DS FC
0104-0018-0045
Sounds like something someone would do with Xenoblade Chronicles and Zelda action figures.
I'll take that as a complement;). Yeah it simple, cheesy, and heart warming at the same time, Nothing wrong with a little bro love.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
With Sarah Alainn singing to me. This is possible.

There you go, just take a deep breath and relax while listening to the music.

I'll take that as a complement;). Yeah it simple, cheesy, and heart warming at the same time, Nothing wrong with a little bro love.
I meant it as a compliment, since I would like some Xenoblade Chronicles and Zelda Figurines myself.

Kikkipoptart12

Smash Champion
NNID
Kikkipop 12
3DS FC
0104-0018-0045
So after Link or Robin meet up with Shulk what other characters will the meet on their quest and how will they meet them? when they are under attack by some random enemy, or maybe by confusion of Shulk and Link or Robin as the enemy.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Just wait for them Amiibos, man.
Hopefully they don't fly off the shelves too quickly when I arrive at the store. Though, I would not expect them to stay on the self for long, unless they are the ones that are used to showcase them.

Last edited:

Kikkipoptart12

Smash Champion
NNID
Kikkipop 12
3DS FC
0104-0018-0045
There you go, just take a deep breath and relax while listening to the music.

I meant it as a compliment, since I would like some Xenoblade Chronicles and Zelda Figurines myself.
Me too but I have to make some room first, computer desk is too messy.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Me too but I have to make some room first, computer desk is too messy.
I need some more cash. College is really expensive and afterwards I got to start saving up money. Hopefully, my Birthday and Christmas money will give me enough to buy a Wii U and a couple of games.

Hokori

Great King of Evil
I'd like a Riki plush to bring to tournaments so I can sit the Heropon on the TV and watch people marvel at greatness as I show them the power of the Monado.

Last edited:

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
That will be permitted after victory. If they dare lay their salty fingers on my Riki after raging, I will Shulk them up :glare:
No doubt. I wonder if someone would bring a Monado Replica to the area, obviously looking fake to not be arrested by police.

Kikkipoptart12

Smash Champion
NNID
Kikkipop 12
3DS FC
0104-0018-0045
I'd like a Riki plush to bring to tournaments so I can sit the Heropon on the TV and watch people marvel at greatness as I show them the power of the Monado.
Damn it why can't Nintendo make Xenoblade stuff and bring it here they make stuff for Mario and Zelda so why not Xenoblade, and I don't care if I'm too old I want it. My room will be so full with stuff that I wouldn't be able to reach by bed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom