• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Heir to the Monado. Shulk General Discussion/Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

MooseSmuggler

Linkle Linkle Little Star
NNID
MooseSmuggler
3DS FC
3368-1611-2687
While I'm not fond of the stance-change idea, I did just think of something. What if the "stances" are based on the Monado Arts and each stance alters his specials to fit the Art in question. Like, he has an Eater Stance that alters his specials so that they remove positive effects from the target? (In that case, poor Wii Fit Trainer...no Deep Breathing boosts for you) While blatantly not canon and probably complicated, that could make the idea interesting. I still hope that bit isn't true though. I still like my Talent Guage idea :p

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172
I didn't realize we had already passed the "You can eat bread and not know how to bake it" segment of Chugga's Let's Play. Was there conversation of this?
You can fight a Mechon and not know how to Break it.
You can deal damage and not know how to take it.
You can dance around and not know how to shake it.
You can Play Dead and not know how how to fake it. (?)

I'm sorry, I don't know why I did that. (Needs more rhymes for bread...)

Edit: I'm about to go to sleep and I realised you can sleep in a bed and not know how to make it.

Last edited:

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
I didn't realize we had already passed the "You can eat bread and not know how to bake it" segment of Chugga's Let's Play. Was there conversation of this?
I made a screencap of it many pages back. Find it if you dare. :troll:

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
While I'm not fond of the stance-change idea, I did just think of something. What if the "stances" are based on the Monado Arts and each stance alters his specials to fit the Art in question. Like, he has an Eater Stance that alters his specials so that they remove positive effects from the target? (In that case, poor Wii Fit Trainer...no Deep Breathing boosts for you) While blatantly not canon and probably complicated, that could make the idea interesting. I still hope that bit isn't true though. I still like my Talent Guage idea :p
We discussed this really briefly a while ago, but I think it would be a good thing to actually discuss further.

I thought buster could extend the range and increase the knockback of Shulk's moves but cause him to move slower, while speed would be the exact opposite.

Dunban

Smash Journeyman
I missed the 300 page party...
Now I feel sad...
But hey, we're about 25 pages behind KKR thread so that's pretty nifty.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Here are all the Monado Arts and what they do in game:

• Buster: powerful attack with a larger blade. Deals double the damage to Mechon and Machina.
  • Enchant: strengthens the weapons of the party. Allows normal weapons to damage Mechon.
  • Shield: generates a barrier that protects the party from enemy talent arts of the same level or lower.
  • Speed: gives the target a greater chance to dodge physical attacks.
  • Purge: ranged ether blast that inflicts Aura Seal and nullifies Spike effects.
  • Armour: reduces physical and ether damage taken. Percentage (30%-75%) depends on this Art's level.
  • Cyclone: damages all enemies around the user and inflicts topple on enemies suffering from break.
  • Eater: strips away enemy buffs and causes bleed damage in a frontal cone.
How would you translate each one into a stance?

Staarih

Smash Master
Wait, what, this thread is over 300 pages now? I totally suck at keeping up with this haha! But it has come a long way, great job!

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
My Top 5 Arts to Make into Stances:

1.) Buster - lowered speed, increased knock back and range
2.) Eater - below average damage and speed, but all attacks have a damage over time effect
3.) Armour - reduces damage taken, normal damage, slower speed
4.) Purge - Average all around, adds a short range projectile to some attacks that does better then average shield damage
5.) Speed - lowered defense and strength, increase in movement and attack speed

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Solfiner

NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928

2.) Eater - below average damage and speed, but all attacks have a damage over time effect
4.) Purge - Average all around, adds a short range projectile to some attacks that does better then average shield damage

Thoughts?
Well thought out, but my head hurts just thinking about managing all of those in a single match. I really hope that leak isn't true.

MooseSmuggler

NNID
MooseSmuggler
3DS FC
3368-1611-2687

Thoughts?
I could see that working. Honestly, the more I think about it, the more interesting this idea becomes. It also leaves room for his other specials to be regular Arts. Perhaps Back Slash as Down, so both Robin and Shulk can have Down specials that hit harder from behind?

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Well thought out, but my head hurts just thinking about managing all of those in a single match. I really hope that leak isn't true.
It's interesting in theory, as you could theoretically change the type of character Shulk is on the fly depending on the type of situation he is presented with. I don't know if it would really work in practice though.

Everest

Smash Cadet
Here are all the Monado Arts and what they do in game:

• Buster: powerful attack with a larger blade. Deals double the damage to Mechon and Machina.
  • Enchant: strengthens the weapons of the party. Allows normal weapons to damage Mechon.
  • Shield: generates a barrier that protects the party from enemy talent arts of the same level or lower.
  • Speed: gives the target a greater chance to dodge physical attacks.
  • Purge: ranged ether blast that inflicts Aura Seal and nullifies Spike effects.
  • Armour: reduces physical and ether damage taken. Percentage (30%-75%) depends on this Art's level.
  • Cyclone: damages all enemies around the user and inflicts topple on enemies suffering from break.
  • Eater: strips away enemy buffs and causes bleed damage in a frontal cone.
How would you translate each one into a stance?
I don't think a gameplay with stances would be a great idea for Shulk : I'm pretty sure after a month or two, everybody will use just one of them, because it will be the most effective :/
And I don't know but I have the feeling that with the separation of Zelda/Sheik and Samus/ZSS, Sakurai doesn't seem to be in the mood of giving different "modes" to an unique character (even though the stances wouldn't radically change the attacks form).

Edit : does this idea come from a leak ? I haven't seen it

Last edited:

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
I don't think a gameplay with stances would be a great idea for Shulk : I'm pretty sure after a month or two, everybody will use just one of them, because it will be the most effective :/
I don't know but I have the feeling that with the separation of Zelda/Sheik and Samus/ZSS, Sakurai doesn't seem to be in the mood of giving different "modes" to an unique character (even though the stances wouldn't radically change the attacks form).
I agree, but a recent leak said Shulk would have a stance mechanic so we are just discussing how it could hypothetically work. I also think certain stances might work better depending on who you are fighting (a zoner vs a rushdown character for instance) and a defensive stance might be something that people use only when there percent is high enough.

Hokori

Great King of Evil
Personally, I'm intrigued by the stance change idea. Concept sounds nice, could be complicated in practice, but if it adds more depth to the character, then I'm all for it.

Last edited:

Pega-pony Princess

Smash Lord
NNID
auraoftwilight
3DS FC
2938-6383-8579

Thoughts?
Sounds interesting, as long as there was a time limit to each stance . It'd be somewhat complicated, but with practice Shulk would be a beast to play as. I can imagine him as being God tier, and I'm not even a competitive player. :awesome:

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
It's ok, I did too. We can be sad about missing the 300 page party together, forever.
We should have a "We missed the 300 page party" party.

Only those who missed the original party are allowed to enjoy it. Everyone else will be poked with sticks.

Last edited:

Everest

Smash Cadet
I agree, but a recent leak said Shulk would have a stance mechanic so we are just discussing how it could hypothetically work. I also think certain stances might work better depending on who you are fighting (a zoner vs a rushdown character for instance) and a defensive stance might be something that people use only when there percent is high enough.
You're right, I didn't think of the possibility that certain stances would be more effective against some characters than others. But if that's the case wouldn'it also mean that Shulk could potentially be an horrible matchup for most of the roster ?

... Well Shulk is also some kind of God so it would be okay from a background point of view I guess :D

Oh by the way do you have a link to this leak ? It sounds at the very least interesting

Last edited:

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
And I don't know but I have the feeling that with the separation of Zelda/Sheik and Samus/ZSS, Sakurai doesn't seem to be in the mood of giving different "modes" to an unique character (even though the stances wouldn't radically change the attacks form).

Edit : does this idea come from a leak ? I haven't seen it
The details of the leak can be found here:

http://smashboards.com/threads/the-ninka-foul-mouth-gematsu-johnknight1-compilation-theory.362684/

But I don't know if everyone can access it as it is part of a group.

The characters it mentions are Duck Hunt Dog, Shulk, Doctor Mario, Dark Pit, and Bowser Junior. There is some evidence to support that the leaker's source was in fact a game tester.

The Shulk content was basically just that his neutral special switched between 5 stances and that his home stage was Guar Plains.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Happy 300 pages. I do not think we would have made it so far without our confidence that is the support list!

Also I think this better left in spoilers but..
What if we actually get the stance Shulk Ninka_Kiwi was talking about, would you guys be disappointed?

MooseSmuggler

NNID
MooseSmuggler
3DS FC
3368-1611-2687
You're right, I didn't think of the possibility that certain stances would be more effective against some characters than others. But if that's the case wouldn'it also mean that Shulk could potentially be an horrible matchup for most of the roster ?

... Well Shulk is also some kind of God so it would be okay from a background point of view I guess :D

Oh by the way do you have a link to this leak ? It sounds at the very least interesting
Depending on the stances, a skilled Shulk player could probably gain the upper hand against most of the roster. There'll probably be characters that no single stance can deal with, and I presume they'll balance the stances so no single one gets overused.

Edit: @ BluePikmin11 BluePikmin11 I would want to see how it gets implemented before saying anything, but it could theoretically be made into a decent system, even if it isn't canon (then again, Sakurai does tend to bend the rules a bit)

Last edited:

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Hey @ BluePikmin11 BluePikmin11 , do you know where the actual second part of the Ninka_Kiwi leak is? I know it is somewhere in the general leak thread, but it is not in the archive or in the first post of the compilation thread..... is there somewhere else I should look?

My issue with stance chaning is that it is either a broken mechanic or a useless one, and I'm thinking it'll be useless because you'll have to cycle through 2-5 other stances until you get the one you want, and that could take a while even if there was no cool down between stance changes. Which there will be.

Last edited:

Hokori

Great King of Evil
I honestly wouldn't be surprised if this stance change concept really was the truth for Shulk. Same with Guar Plains being the home stage. Kinda along the lines of what I thought would end up happening for Shulk anyway.

The RPG newcomers could be having fancy twists with them. Neat :)

Andyjoe522

Smash Ace
NNID
Andyjoe522
Happy 300 pages. I do not think we would have made it so far without our confidence that is the support list!

What if we actually get the stance Shulk Ninka_Kiwi was talking about, would you guys be disappointed?
I would be kind of disappointed. I feel that there's enough concepts that could be pulled from Xenoblade itself that would both stay true to the character, and make for a far more original moveset. Concepts like the talent gauge and tension system that we ourselves have brought up show that there's no need for Sakurai to just pull something out of thin air to make Shulk unique.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
How about Shadow Eye as a down b? It could power up your next attack and perhaps also have some sort of defensive use.

Hokori

Great King of Evil
With Robin, Nosferatu was a move that he couldn't do in his starting class/master class. Technically, s/he can use the move in another class since s/he has all the class options (gender dependent). Other than that, no desperation moves pulled.

I'm confident he'll do Shulk justice. With his options, kinda hard not to...

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Hey @ BluePikmin11 BluePikmin11 , do you know where the actual second part of the Ninka_Kiwi leak is? I know it is somewhere in the general leak thread, but it is not in the archive or in the first post of the compilation thread..... is there somewhere else I should look?

My issue with stance chaning is that it is either a broken mechanic or a useless one, and I'm thinking it'll be useless because you'll have to cycle through 2-5 other stances until you get the one you want, and that could take a while even if there was no cool down between stance changes. Which there will be.
[So I got more info...
Unless my friend is pulling my leg, there's some pretty crazy crap left to be revealed.

-Snake, Lucas, Ice Climbers (Why), and Wolf are cut
-Doctor Mario is back as a clone
-Dark Pit is a newcomer as a clone
-Each character gets 8 alternate costumes, whether they be pallet swaps or new costumes.
-Alph appears as 4 of Olimar's costumes, while the other 4 are Olimar's.
-Shulk will be playable with Gaur Plains as his stage, his neutral B changes his Monado mode which essentially makes him dish more damage and take more, or do less damage, and take less.
-Bowser Jr appears as a new comer and allegedly fights from a mario kart... has no alt colors, but instead has the 7 koopalings as alts.
-Duck Hunt is in... from what I've been told it's the duck hunt dog fighting with ducks on his back who assist for certain attacks...

*Edit more info
-Shulk has like 5 different mode swaps
-Bowser Jr rides in a koopa kart that attacks with cannon balls and boxing gloves and stuff that eject from the clowns mouth.

note* The kart sounds more like the koopa clown car to me as I read it.

Now I'm not even sure from this stuff so take it with a grain of salt, but my friend recently quit as a tester due to family reasons, so if he decided he no longer cares what leaks, I could see why he'd tell me.
He was also unclear to me as to if that is the rest of the roster so also be wary./QUOTE]

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Thanks, hard to navigate in that group sometimes. Just wanted to confirm that nothing else was said relating to Shulk.

MegaLagann

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MegaLagann
Personally, I'm intrigued by the stance change idea. Concept sounds nice, could be complicated in practice, but if it adds more depth to the character, then I'm all for it.
I could see Shulk being like Rosalina. Unique moveset that you need to spend time on to master. Not a pick up and play character. And like others have said, the more I think about it the more I'm opening up to this stance idea. Even if I find parts of the leak shaky (Ice Climbers, Lucas and Wolf getting cut while Dr Mario, Bowser Jr, Dark Pit and Duck Hunt Dog are their own characters? Really?).

EDIT: But I still say Shulk's moveset should revolve around the talent gauge, building up with normal attacks then when full used for a modified version of his special attacks. Also I still have a hard time believing this leak so I still think the stance thing is bogus, even if I'm warming up to it.

Last edited:

Everest

Smash Cadet
@Spazzy : thanks for the link !

Well at least Gaur Plains is one of my favorite location in Xenoblade (eryth sea could also be a great stage) with a freaking good music theme ! Hope this stage is true :D

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I like the idea of Shulk being the glass cannon of the game in terms of overall playstyle (like Phoenix/Jean Grey in UMvC3). Of course to make things a bit more fair for him they could increase his running speed/dodge ability, and my Monado Shield/Armour as a down B counter I suggested several pages back would probably be ideal too.

SilverSoul24

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SilverSoul94
Switch FC
SW-8066-4257-6220

*goes to burn some candles*
How can you expect that to work without copies of Smash 64 and Melee? :p

Seriously, though, I feel like we'll get something big by the end of this week. We've had two solid updates already, so Sakurai really should capitalize on this momentum... (with Shulk)...

Solfiner

NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928

Yes. Yes I would. I'm okay with 1-2 stances but FIVE? That just sounds unecessarily complicated and tacked on to make the character "unique". I would be fine with any gimmick except this one.

OblivionWolf

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0877-1107-8984
It took about 73 hours of my life but I just beat Xenoblade for the first time! Awesome game. Rooting for Shulk with you guys.

So add me to the support list.

Hokori

Great King of Evil
I like the idea of Shulk being the glass cannon of the game in terms of overall playstyle (like Phoenix/Jean Grey in UMvC3). Of course to make things a bit more fair for him they could increase his running speed/dodge ability, and my Monado Shield/Armour as a down B counter I suggested several pages back would probably be ideal too.
I'm still giving the Glass Cannon Award to Little Mac. Truly amazing ground game, truly terrible air game. When thinking about Shulk, I don't see him being really solid in one area while really weak in another like how Mac is. I envision him as a solid character overall with his fair share of pros and cons. Nothing extreme though.

Bosspon

The Boss of Pon
NNID
KingofSayains
So about the stance change mechanic... It never says "stance change" in the leak. It says mode change. Which could mean one of two things since the leaker seems to be working off a small amount of information (i.e. unsure Bowser Jr was in a koopa kart or mario kart).

The first option would be that it refers to several of Shulk's Arts.

Probably:

Enchant: Boosts attack power but also boosts damage taken
Speed: Boosts speed but lowers attack power
Armor: Boosts defense but lowers attack
Shield: Protects against next special. Also makes user immune to next attack if it's a Final smash, but it has a timer.
Shadow Eye: Makes user invisible, but boosts attack power of next special a lot. Being hit or hitting someone ends the invisibility. (Not really OP since we know invisibility tends to work against you just as much as it works for you)

Now, those are the only things I can see being mistaken as "modes".

However, there exists another possibility that nobody has mentioned: Auras.

What if Shulk gets several auras from his party members to use in battle? Any thoughts?

Last edited:

Noiblade

Smash Journeyman
NNID
47keyblader
Hello my fellow supporters, Did I just miss 150+ pages? Oh well. Some people over on reddit have been putting bad thoughts into my head, I'm scared of Shulk getting the boot to Assist Trophy. ;-; Make the thoughts go away.

Anyways, I brought a new signature for myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom