• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Heir to the Monado. Shulk General Discussion/Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
I don't believe this leak AT ALL by the way, so I'm pretty sure that Sakurai will please me with Shulks moveset.

MegaLagann

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MegaLagann
How can you expect that to work without copies of Smash 64 and Melee? :p

Seriously, though, I feel like we'll get something big by the end of this week. We've had two solid updates already, so Sakurai really should capitalize on this momentum... (with Shulk)...
Y'now, Friday is August 1st... For some reason something tells me we may get a Direct by then. They've had directs early in the month before, and as you said this week has been stacked so far with an assist trophy and stage. Feels weird to end it off with a cat or a picture of Rosalina sleeping. Still thinking we'll get one before the 12th since CoroCoro is suppose to show off the starting roster, so I'm thinking we'll get something before that. Hopefully soon, like this Friday soon, because I need Shulk.

Last edited:

Hokori

Great King of Evil
So about the stance change mechanic... It never says "stance change" in the leak. It says mode change. Which could mean one of two things since the leaker seems to be working off a small amount of information (i.e. unsure Bowser Jr was in a koopa kart or mario kart).

The first option would be that it refers to several of Shulk's Arts.

Probably:

Enchant: Boosts attack power but also boosts damage taken
Speed: Boosts speed but lowers attack power
Armor: Boosts defense but lowers attack
Shield: Protects against next special. Also makes user immune to next attack if it's a Final smash, but it has a timer.
Shadow Arts: Makes user invisible, but boosts attack power of next special a lot. Being hit or hitting someone ends the invisibility. (Not really OP since we know invisibility tends to work against you just as much as it works for you)

Now, those are the only things I can see being mistaken as "modes".

However, there exists another possibility that nobody has mentioned: Auras.

What if Shulk gets several auras from his part members to use in battle? Any thoughts?
That'd also be interesting. Shulk would basically be Deoxys :laugh:

Noiblade

Smash Journeyman
NNID
47keyblader
Y'now, Friday is August 1st... For some reason something tells me we may get a Direct by then. They've had directs early in the month before, and as you said this week has been stacked so far with an assist trophy and stage. Feels weird to end it off with a cat or a picture of Rosalina sleeping. Still thinking we'll get one before the 12th since CoroCoro is suppose to show off the starting roster, so I'm thinking we'll get something before that. Hopefully soon, like this Friday soon, because I need Shulk.

FreeShulkFriday? No? okay.

Solfiner

NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
Hello my fellow supporters, Did I just miss 150+ pages? Oh well. Some people over on reddit have been putting bad thoughts into my head, I'm scared of Shulk getting the boot to Assist Trophy. ;-; Make the thoughts go away.

Anyways, I brought a new signature for myself.
Shulk won't be an assist. Why would both his voice actors tweet about "secret projects" and "good news" if he was an assist? What else could they mean with those tweets other then Smash?

MooseSmuggler

Linkle Linkle Little Star
NNID
MooseSmuggler
3DS FC
3368-1611-2687
Hello my fellow supporters, Did I just miss 150+ pages? Oh well. Some people over on reddit have been putting bad thoughts into my head, I'm scared of Shulk getting the boot to Assist Trophy. ;-; Make the thoughts go away.

He won't. He's not in the same situation as Takamaru. Takamaru is a retro character people were hoping would get new life in Smash (in a sense, he may have), while Shulk represents a new budding franchise.

Noiblade

Smash Journeyman
NNID
47keyblader
He won't. He's not in the same situation as Takamaru. Takamaru is a retro character people were hoping would get new life in Smash (in a sense, he may have), while Shulk represents a new budding franchise.
Shulk won't be an assist. Why would both his voice actors tweet about "secret projects" and "good news" if he was an assist? What else could they mean with those tweets other then Smash?
Haha, guess you're right, i've been up for almost 24 hours. I really need some sleep.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117

Shulk is 100% going to be playable.

Solfiner

NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
By the way, thanks for pranking @TitanTeaTime for me @ Bosspon Bosspon . He really needed to taste the power of pink.

Last edited:

erico9001

You must find your own path to the future.
NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
So about the stance change mechanic... It never says "stance change" in the leak. It says mode change. Which could mean one of two things since the leaker seems to be working off a small amount of information (i.e. unsure Bowser Jr was in a koopa kart or mario kart).

Probably:

Shield: Protects against next special. Also makes user immune to next attack if it's a Final smash, but it has a timer.
Shadow Arts: Makes user invisible, but boosts attack power of next special a lot. Being hit or hitting someone ends the invisibility. (Not really OP since we know invisibility tends to work against you just as much as it works for you)

What if Shulk gets several auras from his party members to use in battle? Any thoughts?
Oh really? That's really significant, since mode changes are quite different. I actually had the thought of doing mode changes for my Shulk mod (but I ended up being too lazy/needing help of other people) so I guess it's not really out of the question.

You wrap them up pretty well. I just didn't have any downsides because the downside would be the time it takes for the mode to activate, being a point when you're defenseless. I was going to have them activated by fighter stances.

Monado speed - improves run speed, jump height, and attack lags
Monado enchant - slight power boost
Monado armor - reduction in damage for a time
Monado shield - Next hit does not do damage to you

I suppose it's relevant that some people also suggested that I do light heal as a move that can only be used so often. It's not a bad idea, really.

I like your shadow eye idea.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117

Probably:

What if Shulk gets several auras from his party members to use in battle? Any thoughts?
Naw, Aura's are going to be Reyn's gimmick when you unlock him.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I may be late on this but have you guys heard of the QA leak? here's what it says about Shulk (full post is here)
>Shulk is playable. Very reminiscent of Ike, but not as slow and his normals come out faster. His specials are some of the strongest I’ve seen in the game. If you’re familiar with Xenoblade’s Monado Arts, you’ll be using Monado Buster as your primary KO method. Besides that, Monado Speed, Cyclone and Eater are parts of the specials. Monado Speed increases his movement speed for a short time, pretty self-explanatory. Eater is a fast attack that is the only attack in the game that removes enemy buffs. So, if someone has a Metal Cap, or a Super Mushroom, hit ‘em with Monado Eater. The damage on it is fairly low.

Cyclone is the recovery move. It sucks as a recovery move, but its primary use is that it sends items and players flying away from you. If an item is already moving - say, being thrown at you - it just flat-out stops and falls. As a defensive technique it’s got too long a wind-down to be particularly useful, but I’ve been using it as an edge guarding special to great effect.
A lot of the other details of the leak are pretty fishy to me (Lucas is cut but Jeff, former AT, takes his place, as well as not saying anything about Snake's fate among other things) but most of the Monado arts descriptions seem to make sense, even if Eater removing buffs would be OP.

Mechonis

Smash Journeyman
Just to let you all know, the site for Corocoro updated and said they aren't showing the full roster. Not even the starting roster, as far as I'm aware.

All they are doing is "going in depth" with the stages and characters already revealed.

xLemmy_KoopaX

Bring me my booty!
NNID
xLemmy_KoopaX
My opinion to the stance mechanic:
It sounds good on paper, but it is overly complicated and isn't from Xenoblade itself, so it is a bad representation of Shulk.
BTW I don't believe the leak anyway because the whole Bowser Jr. thing is absolute BS because fighting from a Mario Kart/Clown-Copter doesn't make any sense and the Koopalings all have different heights so their hitboxes must be off when they are alt costumes. Duck Hunt Dog is stupid when Takamaru is an Assist BTW. Sakurai is a insensitive jerk when DHD is in when he leaves Takamaru out. I just can't imagine Sakurai doing that. He can be a bit troll-y, but he's not a jerk.

MegaLagann

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MegaLagann
Plus why would they have him record new lines if he's just an assist trophy?

We've been over this before. Adam Howden doesn't do many VO for video games. Besides Xenoblade and the Dragon Age games he's down two, maybe three games, and the last game he did VO on was in 2012. Plus, he already confirmed a month before this tweet that he's back in Dragon Age Inquisition. PLUS in a interview earlier last year he mentioned he's doing VO work for a game that was trending worldwide when it was announced. And it can't be Xenoblade X since Shulk isn't in the game. So in short, this man who rarely does VO work is involved with several big name projects this year, one we already know, the other he can't say because of NDA. So, what other big budget game is coming out this year in which he can't talk about just yet? Exactly.

Hokori

Great King of Evil

-He's a character that is highly requested globally
-He'd be a fresh character to represent a franchise that isn't in Smash yet (The amount of detail Sakurai and the team are putting into the game suggest that they won't skip a beat and miss out on Xenoblade. How could you?)
- Although you should take leaks with a grain of salt, he has appeared on all the 'major' ones and things are adding up to his inclusion with Monolith Soft RTs, etc.

That's just for starters. Worry not, Xenobrother.

ZXMechonHunter

Smash Journeyman
No one here needs to worry about Monado Boy getting in.
The only ones who need to worry are those who made asinine bets because they're dead-set on Shulk not being in.

Solfiner

NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
But guys, Shulk is another generic anime swordsman who is too non-Nintendo. :troll:

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Plus why would they have him record new lines if he's just an assist trophy?

We've been over this before. Adam Howden doesn't do many VO for video games. Besides Xenoblade and the Dragon Age games he's down two, maybe three games, and the last game he did VO on was in 2012. Plus, he already confirmed a month before this tweet that he's back in Dragon Age Inquisition. PLUS in a interview earlier last year he mentioned he's doing VO work for a game that was trending worldwide when it was announced. And it can't be Xenoblade X since Shulk isn't in the game. So in short, this man who rarely does VO work is involved with several big name projects this year, one we already know, the other he can't say because of NDA. So, what other big budget game is coming out this year in which he can't talk about just yet? Exactly.
The only other game I could see him being tight lipped about is Bioware's new IP as he has done non-Dragon Age work for them before, but I doubt that that game is far enough into development to need voice work.

Shulk's global popularity and Monolithsoft's close relationship with Nintendo's other development studios are enough to pretty much guarantee him a spot regardless.

Last edited:

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172

Probably:

Shadow Eye: Makes user invisible, but boosts attack power of next special a lot. Being hit or hitting someone ends the invisibility. (Not really OP since we know invisibility tends to work against you just as much as it works for you)

I don't think I'd mind Shulk playing like this. Thing is, if Shulk has a gimmick it needs to be relatively manageable. Rosalina and Luma is more complex than your regular character, but she is manageable because it's easy to call Luma back or summon another. It's not going hardcore remote-control character (looking at you, Carl Clover.) So yeah, if they were gonna run this with Shulk, they'd need to make it intuitive.

Bosspon

The Boss of Pon
NNID
KingofSayains
I don't think I'd mind Shulk playing like this. Thing is, if Shulk has a gimmick it needs to be relatively manageable. Rosalina and Luma is more complex than your regular character, but she is manageable because it's easy to call Luma back or summon another. It's not going hardcore remote-control character (looking at you, Carl Clover.) So yeah, if they were gonna run this with Shulk, they'd need to make it intuitive.
Shulk is such a unique character that he'd have several tricks and gimmicks to the way he would fight. For example, Backslash being stronger when it hit enemies from behind or Light Heal, or Shadow Eye... He's a JRPG character with so much unique moveset potential he's not going to play like any character we've ever played as before. I can only trust that Sakurai knows what he's doing.

MegaLagann

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MegaLagann
But guys, Shulk is another generic anime swordsman who is too non-Nintendo. :troll:
TOP TEN REASONS SHULK SHOULDN'T BE IN SMASH BROS
#1 HE'S THIRD PARTY
#2 HE'S TOO NON NINTENDO
#3 MONOLITH SOFT IS SECOND PARTY
#4 WE DON'T NEED ANIME CHARACTERS IN SMASH BROS
#5 RED VESTS ARE WAY OUT OF STYLE
#6 HE'S A NERD
#7 SWORDZ
#8 PANDORA'S TOWER ISN'T EVEN GETTING A SEQUEL
#9 THE LAST STORY WASN'T EVEN THAT GOOD

MooseSmuggler

NNID
MooseSmuggler
3DS FC
3368-1611-2687
#1 HE'S THIRD PARTY
#2 HE'S TOO NON NINTENDO
#6 HE'S A NERD
#7 SWORDZ
And #10?

Hokori

Great King of Evil
#1 HE'S THIRD PARTY
#2 HE'S TOO NON NINTENDO
#6 HE'S A NERD
#7 SWORDZ
You forgot to include how much he sucks. I hate his guts. This rhymed, so what, Chuck?

TechPowah

Smash Ace
Switch FC
1951-3245-1423
#10 HE'S NOT MEWTWO/RIDLEY/GOKU/MY FAVORITE CHARACTER/SHREK/LITERALLY ANYONE ELSE BECAUSE I'M NO FUN (UNLESS IT'S ANDY FROM ADVANCE WARS OR PAPER MARIO :troll:)

Last edited:

MooseSmuggler

NNID
MooseSmuggler
3DS FC
3368-1611-2687
You forgot to include how much he sucks. I hate his guts. This rhymed, so what, Chuck?
He's not even popular in the West. The sales statistics are bad. Xenoblade Georg, who lives in a cave and buys 100 copies a day, is an outlier and should not have been counted.

DuwangAnon

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0516-7668-7793
#1 HE'S THIRD PARTY
#2 HE'S TOO NON NINTENDO
#6 HE'S A NERD
#7 SWORDZ
#10 JUJU'S BUGGY
#11 AVALANCHE ABAASY IS WAY COOLER
#12 HE WEARS RED AND REIMU WEARS RED AND REIMU'S NOT IN
#13 HE'S NOT AN ANGSTY FF CHAR
#14 THIS THREAD

MegaLagann

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MegaLagann
Honestly though, is there any argument against Shulk that can't be countered in less than a second?

He's another sword character. Actually he's really unique and you would know had you played the game.
He's from a one shot game. Xenoblade Chronicles X.
He's not appearing in the game so he's not relevant. Marth from Fire Emblem has been in only 2 games. Robin and Lucina have been in 1.
He's too niche. Most popular newcomer in Japan and 2nd most popular newcomer in the world.

As for stuff like he looks too anime or too non Nintendo or I don't like Xenoblade, I don't choose to acknowledge those are arguments.

Everest

Smash Cadet
Shulk is 100% going to be playable.
I love your confidence. In fact, now that you've said this, I hope you are the hidden american account of Sakurai - who probably doesn't speak English except maybe for the words "smash" and "bros."

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I don't believe this leak AT ALL by the way, so I'm pretty sure that Sakurai will please me with Shulks moveset.
I don't believe it either. I think people are getting too carried away with it.

I've yet to see anything substantial enough for me to believe it.

Last edited:

Noiblade

Smash Journeyman
NNID
47keyblader
guise i thnk tht shulk wont be in because shulk has a sword. shulk has eyes, who else has eyes? Goku, and he's an anime character, that mean s shulk is an anime character, and we all know anime characters cnt get in smash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom