• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Heir to the Monado. Shulk General Discussion/Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
Btw, I just wanted to say something. You-know-who said that it is a crime and heresy that I said that Xenoblade is more Nintendo than Pokémon (which it is) and then seemed to think that I hate Nintendo(?) because of that. That is hilarious to me, because Pokémon is one of my favorite franchises ever, and I literally have played the series for thousands of hours. Don't wanna start anything, just found that funny.

Last edited:

Noiblade

Smash Journeyman
NNID
47keyblader
Honestly though,
He's from a one shot game. Xenoblade Chronicles X.
He's not appearing in the game so he's not relevant.

As for stuff like he looks too anime or too non Nintendo or I don't like Xenoblade, I don't choose to acknowledge those are arguments.
To be fair, to my knowledge, we don't know if Shulk will be in Xenoblade X. There was that one guy in the trailer that looked JUST like him.

foolssigma

Smash Ace
NNID
NYTims
I think you guys left out reason #74: Xenoblade and especially Shulk have TERRIBLE voice acting.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
TOP TEN REASONS SHULK SHOULDN'T BE IN SMASH BROS
#1 HE'S THIRD PARTY
#2 HE'S TOO NON NINTENDO
#3 MONOLITH SOFT IS SECOND PARTY
#4 WE DON'T NEED ANIME CHARACTERS IN SMASH BROS
#5 RED VESTS ARE WAY OUT OF STYLE
#6 HE'S A NERD
#7 SWORDZ
#8 PANDORA'S TOWER ISN'T EVEN GETTING A SEQUEL
#9 THE LAST STORY WASN'T EVEN THAT GOOD
You forgot to scream "NICHE" at the top of your lungs while shaking uncontrollably.

ZXMechonHunter

Smash Journeyman
I will be so hurt and offended if a character is added into a fighting game.
I hate you Sakurai for adding a character of your choice into your fighting game.

Hokori

Great King of Evil
Clearly we need to edit the thread title to say something along the lines of us not wanting Shulk in SSB4. People would **** so many bricks in confusion.

#MonadoHasNoPower
#GotMyMonadoFromTheDollarStore

Last edited:

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
Reason #56: Captain toad has Dunban's face thanks to the disgusting Shulk thread at Smashboards.

Everest

Smash Cadet
Reason #687:Xenoblade has bad graphics
That being said I'm pretty certain that if Shulk is a playable character Sakurai will give him a little facial makeover. But if we hafta cry because he's just another AT, I sure hope they won't use his XenoWii-face

foolssigma

Smash Ace
NNID
NYTims
You take that back, Shulks voice acting was marvelous /saracsm

But I do really like Adam's voice acting with Shulk.
I got that from comments on Chugga's videos. Some of those complaints are outrageous.

I know this has been stated before but Shulk better have the same VA from Xenoblade. It would be like if Sakurai decided to keep Pit's old voice instead of Uprising Pit, thankfully he did not.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I loved the voice acting in Xenoblade Chronicles. It was a refreshing change from the usual awkward jrpg voices with no personality.

ZXMechonHunter

Smash Journeyman
I loved the voice acting in Xenoblade Chronicles. It was a refreshing change from the usual awkward jrpg voices with no personality.
Exactly! Maybe people just don't know what good voice acting is.
I know it's their opinion...but their opinion is wrong. :troll:

Hokori

Great King of Evil
We'll probably get a Xenoblade stage, but Shulk will only make an appearance in the background, sitting down, eating a sandwich, watching others duke it out while he stuffs his face.

He'll be in the game alright... :troll:

Bosspon

The Boss of Pon
NNID
KingofSayains
Reason #99: Shulk and Reyn are lost on their way to Smash. They'll never fill out their map.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Here are all the Monado Arts and what they do in game:

• Buster: powerful attack with a larger blade. Deals double the damage to Mechon and Machina.
  • Enchant: strengthens the weapons of the party. Allows normal weapons to damage Mechon.
  • Shield: generates a barrier that protects the party from enemy talent arts of the same level or lower.
  • Speed: gives the target a greater chance to dodge physical attacks.
  • Purge: ranged ether blast that inflicts Aura Seal and nullifies Spike effects.
  • Armour: reduces physical and ether damage taken. Percentage (30%-75%) depends on this Art's level.
  • Cyclone: damages all enemies around the user and inflicts topple on enemies suffering from break.
  • Eater: strips away enemy buffs and causes bleed damage in a frontal cone.
How would you translate each one into a stance?
I think having a stance per Monado art would be too stressful for the SSB4 Development team. It would be better to have a fixed stance and have the Monado Center piece change to match the Monado Art in current use.

Everest

Smash Cadet
The English version of Xenoblade wasn't perfect but in my opinion, it was better than the original japanese voice acting. Most of japanese voices always seems so overacted. (And I don't speak a damn word in Japanese so hearing those screaming battle quotes that I don't understand was a bit lame)

Last edited:

Bosspon

The Boss of Pon
NNID
KingofSayains
So, anybody thinking about what Kirby would look like when he eats Shulk? I'm thinking either Shulk's hair or he gets a Monado (which would be awesome). Or maybe even both. Thoughts?

TitanTeaTime

Smash Lord
NNID
TitanTeaTime
3DS FC
2165-6601-4781
So, anybody thinking about what Kirby would look like when he eats Shulk? I'm thinking either Shulk's hair or he gets a Monado (which would be awesome). Or maybe even both. Thoughts?
I'l say both.
Though you know, it'll be quite adorable hearing Kirby say MONADO *insert Monado power here*
REASON #5692 SHULK IS FROM A JAPANESE GAME WITH BRITISH ACCENTS. ANIT AMERICAN MUCH?
The caps lock on top of the already borderline spam was not necessary. >:C

Last edited:

Andyjoe522

Smash Ace
NNID
Andyjoe522
The English version of Xenoblade wasn't perfect but in my opinion, it was better than the original japanese voice acting. Most of japanese voices always seems so overacted. (And I don't speak a damn word in Japanese so hearing those screaming battle quotes that I don't understand was a bit lame)
As someone who's only watched a few gameplay clips in Japanese, I have to agree. Even in those Avalanche Abaasy videos I posted earlier, the voices were starting to get on my nerves some (for the record, I do enjoy watching quite a few different animes subbed). The English dub felt well done and captured the emotions of the characters and the situations they were in remarkably. Plus, the British accents gave it a charm and personality that a lot of jrpg dubs seem to lack in certain instances.

ZXMechonHunter

Smash Journeyman
I assume it'd be both. If the girl in X can get Monado hairpins, Kirby can get a little Monado. I guess it depends what his basic B is though.
Edit: No, he just uses Monado Eater.
...GET IT?!

Last edited:

Everest

Smash Cadet
Shulk's hair might might look like Daraen's a bit too much :( Maybe his red jacket ?

Edit : or maybe, like with Pacman, he will get a Dittson face

Last edited:

DuwangAnon

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0516-7668-7793
I assume it'd be both. If the girl in X can get Monado hairpins, Kirby can get a little Monado. I guess it depends what his basic B is though.
Edit: No, he just uses Monado Eater.
...GET IT?!
No, he IS the Monado Eater. Go look at that picture from a while back with the Marthnado and Should Be Scared Of Shulk.

MegaLagann

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MegaLagann
I apologize for the spam, that's my bad. But anyway, like I said before what music from Xenoblade do you want in Smash that you don't hear people suggest often?

ZXMechonHunter

Smash Journeyman
I apologize for the spam, that's my bad. But anyway, like I said before what music from Xenoblade do you want in Smash that you don't hear people suggest often?
Obviously the only choice is Ether Mine!
No, but Central Factory is my jam. I feel like after the first 30 seconds it'd be good as a battle theme.

Bosspon

The Boss of Pon
NNID
KingofSayains
An arrangement of the title screen music sped up and with guitars (maybe throw in some You Will Know Our Names into it) and Frontier Village arrangement with guitars and awesomeness of the highest caliber.

Edit: Also haven't seen this suggested:

Last edited:

MegaLagann

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MegaLagann
Speaking of voice acting, what if one of the customizable voices in Xenoblade X is Adam Howden's voice? :OOO
That could happen, but considering X is getting released (hopefully) around the same time here and in Europe I'd assume they would use American voice actors this time around. Maybe include Adam Howden as a nice nod to fans of the original, but I guess we'll cross that bridge when we come to it. Right now I'm more concerned with Shulk getting in Smash.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I'd say Vision Reacts. I've said it before, but you can't go wrong with that guitar solo. Gets me pumped during fights when you have to save someone from being KO'd with a certain attack/combo. c:

Last edited:

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
How do you guys think Shulk would do in Team battles? Based on the best moveset, thus far, which character would benefit most from Shulk and help him in Double Battles?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom