• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Heavy Brawl as the competitive standard? EDIT: Could a pro post his/her opinion?

Nitoheilapine

Smash Apprentice
((Big quote with replies in the middle.)).
Sorry, I don't like replying in the fashion cause it's hard for the other person to quote. Well, let's move on now shall we?

You're just word-picking right there. Nothing is clearly an exxaturation meant to emphasize a point- a casual player likely doesn't care about mindgames or punishment (in the mindgames sense) because they're a CASUAL player.

Exaggeration my butt. A casual player does care about mindgames whether they know it or not. The only time this is null is when a person who just picked up the game, a person who is underaged, or person ushered into the game is playing. If you didn't want the statement picked, why bring it up at all. You could have easily said Mindgames are everything to a competitive player without bringing casual up at all. Sorry, but that's how it is done.

Yes, mindgames ARE a game of RPS- but far more complex than that. You have four ways to attack, their counters, and the counters counters. Now you have to predict based on fighting style what they're about to do and attack before they do it, all in seconds or less. This is hardly simple

Back to RPS for a second there. RPS, played enough times against the same person, is easy to find out their routine. This applies to brawl and a person's stock. You'll know how their going to counter, and you know how their going to do it. This kills off any strategies you had. The other attacks that could be sprung upon you at anytime are now identified other than being cloaked in shadow.

Each attack has a set up and any tourny prone person should know this. This actually pushes the game behind RPS in terms of strategy somewhat. You know what they are going to do before hand simply because of the setup. You will already have the counter set up. Atleast in RPS you don't have any idea what's going on until you've learned the strategy.

What I'm trying to say here is it can begin as a mindgame and will deteriorate into RPS. Thank you very much.

Why can't Ice Climbers use their B-Button? Thise releases two freezie-shaped projectiles. One takes the PK Fire, the other continues its path forcing Lucas into the defensive stance and allowing Ice Climbers to begin an offensive. Your view of the situation was extremely limiting and completely ignored this approach- showing there is clearly more to things than simply "attack one way or the other"

This is simple if you have played Ice Climbers against Lucas. Lucas's PK Fire spouts off in a diagonal direction when it hits. It'll collide with the first ice cube and push the second ice cube back to the Ice Climbers. I thought this was obvious and a mistake on my part so atleast you have pointed it out.

Since this is pointed out, it now leaves the rest of your arguement to fall below the blast line. Ice Climbers can not start their offensive since the so called Ice shot did not work. The only thing it did was push Lucas back cause of PK Fire. My view on the situation was limiting because there are only a limited number of ways to approach in this sort of situation.

Short-hopped blizzard will disrupt Lucas's PK fire stream, in turn. You get hit with PK fire and pushed back. Stale Mate. Lucas PK fires, IC blizzard again. Lucas uses PSI magnet and pops it, resulting in health healed and IC pushed back. IC loss. The only real approach is the squal which again can be PK fired. I dunno if it disrupts.

Metal was used as an example to make a point- not a serious suggestion. The point was that it changes the gameplay focus- as you also acknowledge. Heavy Brawl does the same thing- it changes the focus of the game from one style to another.

Agreed.

That's hardly the case. Say I'm Jigglypuff, and I've knocked Ike off the edge. He's beginning to recover, but I'm in the air. I use her Pound attack repeatedly and eventually send him spiraling in an unfavorable position, resulting in his death. Then, I jump back and wait for round two, where I abuse this tactic until victory. In Heavy Brawl, this tactic is now unfavorable and could possibly kill me- and furthermore as a Luigi player I've now got a nerf on the number of moves I can pull off. As a Luigi player I could normally pull off four or five in the air with ease, however now my count gets cut in half- once again, Luigi's typical style is battered, and since he's always been floaty- even with Melee physics- this totally ruins the entire character. He's BUILT around being floaty- this is a disadvantage, not an advantage.

Please explain to me when the first scenario will be present. Ike's recovery is rather easy to push back far enough into an unfavorable position with Jigglypuff able to recover from it, heavy or non heavy. Only position I could imagine is Jiggly far diagonally away from the stage in which heavy brawl would drag her down as well. The better question is who would push Ike (Who would be in the same position if the first scenario were to happen.) further away?

Luigi, I can't discuss him since I don't use him at all. From a floaty perspective, this holds true. Agreed.

Are we talking about the competitive or the casual scene now? In the competitive scene all unfair advantages are ruled out, thus stage and item limiations. However, since your argument seems based on the fact a feature is INCLUDED thus it was MEANT to be used COMPETITIVELY I shall say that we should have one-stock Smash Ball High fights with Marth. This makes the game into get the smash ball first- that's fun right? Please, unfair advantages are taken out of competitive play and are togglable for a reason. They are in regular smash just as well, and togglable there. We might as well play coin matches- because they're in there and MEANT to be played that way right? Heavy provides unfair advantages to certainc haracters- as a result it SHOULD be taken out LIKE items and smash balls, and some stages.

You tell me. I'm talking about both since in your post it came off as so, talking about the way the game came. My argument is not based since it was in, it should be used competitively. Let's take this current arguement though. Unfair advantages. Tell me this, since everyone is floaty, what advantages does it bring to Luigi. In turn, what disadvantages does it bring to Ice Climbers (who are not known for their air game). Since the floaty brawl brings unfair advantages to certain characters, what shall we do?

Falling on this arguement actually makes me sad on the inside ._. Cause it leaves much to be desired. The person above my explained things better than I at the moment.

And much like the person above me ._. I'm confused with this statement as well... Please clarify.

M.K

Level 55
What is "phenominal" success? Are we gonna have a heavy mode tournament where Sakurai, President Bush, and Bono all enter, thus making it a huge success? Will holding a heavy mode tournament, somehow, yield the cure to cancer somewhere in the semi-finals?

What the **** is a "phenominal success"?

Hit the dude off the ****ing stage with your favorite nintendo character.

Seriously guys.

Seriously.
^^^^^^^^^^
This post is Win.
Heavy Brawl is Heavy Brawl, it's not some remedial cure to Cancer and Dying.
Brawl is a video game, not a heart transplanting 100% success machine.
You decided to make the game ultra-boring and stupid and noncompetitive when you decide to camp. It's YOUR Experience. Personally, I'm having a great time with Brawl, and I will always, because I don't complain over something that can't be fixed without breaking something else.

Zig-Zag!

Smash Lord
If President Bush and Bono entered a Brawl tournament, I would stay the hell away...

But seriously, all we need is at least one Heavy Brawl tournament to prove that the concept and, as I will predict, work well. That would be enough to at least discussion going amongst other circles.
I have a theory that lightning mode would bring up the speed of the game so as to resemble melee. I think we need at least one tournament to prove my theory. Anyone wanna put $15 on that? I can't wait to see KDJ and M2k in the finals of lightning mode!

Pikachu'sBlueWizardHat

Smash Apprentice
We're trying to shift focus away from camping and towards a balance between offense and defense.
So if I understand this correctly (I didn't read the entire thread), Brawl is too heavily defensive for your liking and you guys want to change that?

I think that is just ridiculous. You guys are not only trying to turn the game into something it's not, but directly contrary to how it was designed. In Melee, you could wavedash circles around a non-wavedashing player. Sakurai obviously didn't like that so he took it out of Brawl. In other words Brawl was specifically made to be a more defensive game.

I know you guys hate to hear this, but you should seriously accept the fact that Brawl is different from Melee instead of trying to recreate Melee all over again.

IWontGetOverTheDam

Smash Lord
The only question I'm left with is... Why? Why alter the way the game is played ao you can play how Melee plays? Why not play Melee? Just adapt to how Brawl plays and move on.

IcedShadow

Smash Rookie
After reading the entire thread, I'm not exactly sure where I stand on the issue. Initially, I was skeptical of using Heavy Brawl as the competitive standard because it's a nonintuitive setting in competitive play. This is not to say it is the wrong setting, but most people would not look to the special brawl modes when trying to make the game more skill-based. For this reason, it is not comparable to turning off items or restricting certain stages. I'm willing to bet a majority of the people who have ever intended on playing the game competitively (I'm going to use SSBM examples because that was the comparable situation) knew that playing on Icicle Mountain with Bob-ombs was not the best method to get results. Whether they completely agreed with having all items off and having the exact same set of restricted stages as the commonly accepted tournament scene is irrelevant, it was intuitive (and not hard to convince many people who wished to play competitively).

Thus, as people have already mentioned in this thread, having a nonintuitive setting as the standard for tournament play will distance and, in some more extreme cases, alienate prospective competitive players.

There is another inherent difference between Heavy Brawl and turning items/stages off that worries me about the prospects of ever truly being able to implement it in normative play. Even in the most extreme cases of playing on unconventional stages and item settings, the physics behind the game did not change. If you could chain three forward tilts together with a Pokeball on the screen, you could chain three forward tilts together without it. Items and stages added (often random, unnecessary, extremely detrimental) obstacles to the game. Playing without these obstacles was not a huge adjustment. Playing with a completely different gravity, however, is different. In just the first seconds of playing in Heavy Brawl, it is easy to tell the difference (whether it be a good or bad difference). I'm going to argue that it takes much more time to get used to than playing without Home Run Bats.

So the conclusion I draw from this is the same as the last point: it further distances people who are not yet in the competitive scene. They must make entirely new adjustments to be able to join in competition which some might not be willing to do.

This brings me to my first real point: is the competitive aspect of regular Brawl so hopeless that this is our only option? My thought process behind this is fairly simple: we want the community to stay as large and inclusive as it can be. The way to do this is to keep brawl as competitive as it can be. If Brawl (played with regular settings) can in any possible way be competitive and intriguing enough to maintain the current tournament goers, then it will have no problem growing and attracting more people. However, if (or once) it becomes clear that there is no way to salvage Brawl, played under "normal" intuitive settings, from becoming a "battle of attrition" (read: campfest), then attempting to normalize Heavy Brawl (assuming it actually does promote better competition) as quickly as possible to familiarize people with the setting becomes the best option. By nature, the best case would be to make regular Brawl competitive (making everyone happy); this of course would be the fairy tale ending.

(I hope this answered an earlier question regarding the "right" way to play. No, regular Brawl is not the "right" way to play, it simply is the most intuitive and most popular way to play. This makes the mode the most inclusive and thus the best-catered to seeing and increase in the competitive scene.)

One more quick thing to reiterate which directly relates to this: It is not possible to play Heavy Brawl online. While this is really a nonissue when it comes to the argument of online tournaments (which can never be too serious due to issues of lag); it does hamper the growth of competitive play. No one can deny that the ability to play Brawl online greatly increases the competitive scene because people will be able to fight opponents instead of computers whenever they want. However this all becomes a null point if it is impossible to play with competitive settings online (online becomes "party mode").

I realize I haven't even discussed the merits or disadvantages of Heavy Brawl at all (which I planned to do). I'm just trying to flesh out what I believe is the reasoning behind the many people who posted early in the thread saying that they saw the merits of Heavy Brawl but still were hesitant or felt "wrong" standardizing a special mode. I guess before I even look at the merits I think the following two questions definitely need to be addressed in full.

1) Is there no hope for a competitive scene to flourish out of regular Brawl?
2) Can we be sure Heavy Brawl will provide a truly competitive game with no glaring faults of its own?

[Ah, sorry for all the incessant ramblings... it was hard to be organized at all so I realize that I go all over the place. I hope that didn't deter from my point too badly]

Superstar

Smash Champion
DRaGZ, maybe your responses should be short and sweet in a way. People like to skim, a lot. At this hour when I should be in bed but my parents are visiting relatives and I'm stuck there, I skim myself too. I know what you are saying. Reason I can't camp back myself is because my style is too calculated offense oriented, but I can change that with enough practice. I'm considering picking up someone who camps VERY well, maybe Pit. He not only has great projectiles, but he can force someone to approach and he strikes with his range from what I see. Either I can prove to those I fight that camping really is broken, or if its not people will find ways to beat it [I know you are already doing it, you main Toon Link].

Personally, I myself think that its pretty much a lost cause in the nature of the game, but the best way to prove it is to go out then do it.

Also, people are really stupid if they think you are asking for it to happen immediately, stuff NEVER works that way. Even if you were to start now it would take a long time to be fully implemented, more than enough time to give the metagame a chance.

What is "phenominal" success? Are we gonna have a heavy mode tournament where Sakurai, President Bush, and Bono all enter, thus making it a huge success? Will holding a heavy mode tournament, somehow, yield the cure to cancer somewhere in the semi-finals?

What the **** is a "phenominal success"?
It would first require the game reaching to a state where the game is EXTREMELY defensive where almost no one plays offensively and most everyone has perfected all defensive options [obviously that is not the situation now, metagame hasn't developed]. Then when heavy Brawl is tried, people find combos like crazy and the shift goes to complete offense.

THAT I consider phenominal and an extreme case that would never happen, maybe close, but not that great.

I apologize if I make a stupid. I'm tired and might not be wording it right. My attention span is at its worse, and my thought process is awful. I can't really think now.

Nitoheilapine

Smash Apprentice
So if I understand this correctly (I didn't read the entire thread), Brawl is too heavily defensive for your liking and you guys want to change that?

I think that is just ridiculous. You guys are not only trying to turn the game into something it's not, but directly contrary to how it was designed. In Melee, you could wavedash circles around a non-wavedashing player. Sakurai obviously didn't like that so he took it out of Brawl. In other words Brawl was specifically made to be a more defensive game.

I know you guys hate to hear this, but you should seriously accept the fact that Brawl is different from Melee instead of trying to recreate Melee all over again.
I'll take this myself.

The defensive game stance proves falls through. We know it's a defensive game, but that's what makes it rather annoying at times. I don't mean all the time, but can you say that having to dash into the opponent who is just sitting their waiting for you fun? I can see if both people were going at it, yea. This is amazing and normal brawl I love, but this is usually not the case at all. It usually ends up with one person who is sick of waiting and dashing into the opponents pit of doom.

I don't hate to hear what you just said. Melee is different from Brawl. Brawl is not melee. Melee is in no way Brawl. Brawl is a completely different game, on a different console, with a different freaking sized disc.

You hit it in your first paragraph. Being overly defensive is not what we like.

((Actually, looking back in history, defense is what caused World War 1 to be so freaking long and boring. Go trenches!))

Break

Smash Apprentice
Why not play Melee? Just adapt to how Brawl plays and move on.
You know the answer for this. Stop being so naive. The Melee scene has already been pushed out of the spotlight for Brawl because Brawl is shiny and new. Once the glitter fades, *maybe* the Melee tourney scene will return *maybe*. Also, how is adapting to how Brawl plays any different than adapting to conventionally using other modes besides standard brawl?

((Actually, looking back in history, defense is what caused World War 1 to be so freaking long and boring. Go trenches!))
Also, ^This is pure win^

Zig-Zag!

Smash Lord
It would first require the game reaching to a state where the game is EXTREMELY defensive where almost no one plays offensively and most everyone has perfected all defensive options [obviously that is not the situation now, metagame hasn't developed]. Then when heavy Brawl is tried, people find combos like crazy and the shift goes to complete offense.

THAT I consider phenominal and an extreme case that would never happen, maybe close, but not that great.

I apologize if I make a stupid. I'm tired and might not be wording it right. My attention span is at its worse, and my thought process is awful. I can't really think now.
If a success implies bringing Brawl to a state that it resembles Melee, but with none of the benefits of wavedashing or L canceling, I think I'll stick to my "camping" mode. I'll do my best to figure out a way around projectiles, but since I never beat a samus in melee, I don't know that I will be able to :(

Nitoheilapine

Smash Apprentice
If a success implies bringing Brawl to a state that it resembles Melee, but with none of the benefits of wavedashing or L canceling, I think I'll stick to my "camping" mode. I'll do my best to figure out a way around projectiles, but since I never beat a samus in melee, I don't know that I will be able to :(
Sorry ZZ, falling back onto resembling Melee argument gets no extra points. Total Sarcasm score is zero. The simple answer to end this thing is why it's hard to get a person's camp.

Our statements have held up so far. Can you guys bring up an action that will get passed a person's camp, one that will always work, and one that is not easily countered.

HyperTheHedgehog

Smash Journeyman
Did I get this right?

You guys don't like the way Brawl was designed, and are trying to change that.

Hmmm... I suggest a different game.

Superstar

Smash Champion
@Zig-Zag
Well, people can play however they like. I personally consider Heavy Brawl a last resort myself. I'm actually of the opinion that people need to get more fed up with regular Brawl before trying this out on a wide scale, as its widely disproved. However, from my experience, Heavy Brawl is very fun to use.

Me would type/analyze more, but I'm leaving for home, in EST time, woot!

DRaGZ

Smash Champion
^^^^^^^^^^
This post is Win.
Heavy Brawl is Heavy Brawl, it's not some remedial cure to Cancer and Dying.
Brawl is a video game, not a heart transplanting 100% success machine.
You decided to make the game ultra-boring and stupid and noncompetitive when you decide to camp. It's YOUR Experience. Personally, I'm having a great time with Brawl, and I will always, because I don't complain over something that can't be fixed without breaking something else.
Go to a tournament and watch the campfests in progress.

Wait a minute, are you going to go to tournaments? If your answer is no, then why do you freakin' care? From your attitude, it seems very clear that you haven't played many competitive matches where the purpose is to win and progress. If camping is your best bet, why be offense when you'll have a better chance winning by camping? It's like telling the U.S. army that carpetbombing's unfair and that they should be men and send in the ground troops, but why do anything else when carpetbombing is much more effective?

Sure, you're having a great time with Brawl, and if it's just you and your friends I don't care, go right ahead. But tournaments with regular Brawl seem to always degenerate into campfests. It's a freakin' shame. All I have been trying to do in this thread is help this competitive community. I don't think people have been understanding that intention at all.

The only question I'm left with is... Why? Why alter the way the game is played ao you can play how Melee plays? Why not play Melee? Just adapt to how Brawl plays and move on.
I don't want to play Melee. I want to play Brawl. Competitive Brawl.

Nitoheilapine

Smash Apprentice
Did I get this right?

Wrong. I'm not going to speak for the others, but I can say I do not like what Brawl has become because of the way it was designed. I want to change what it has become.

It is as simple as that. :chuckle:

Zig-Zag!

Smash Lord
Sorry ZZ, falling back onto resembling Melee argument gets no extra points. Total Sarcasm score is zero. The simple answer to end this thing is why it's hard to get a person's camp.

Our statements have held up so far. Can you guys bring up an action that will get passed a person's camp, one that will always work, and one that is not easily countered.
Tell you what.

I am going to go into training mode and tell a toon link to do nothing but jump and shoot arrows. Better yet, I am going to map a 2nd players control to do nothing but jump and use bombs.

In a years time, if I still cant figure out a way around it, then I will enter my money in a heavy mode tournament.

HyperTheHedgehog

Smash Journeyman
Wrong. I'm not going to speak for the others, but I can say I do not like what Brawl has become because of the way it was designed. I want to change what it has become.

It is as simple as that. :chuckle:
What has it become, exactly? I don't fully understand what camping is. I was under the impression it was projectile-spamming, but apparently theres more to it.

I_R_Hungry

Smash Journeyman
Did I get this right?

the way Brawl was designed?

you mean

with heavy brawl in it? >_>

wow this is just not a very well-thought-out post at all >_>

DRaGZ

Smash Champion
Tell you what.

I am going to go into training mode and tell a toon link to do nothing but jump and shoot arrows. Better yet, I am going to map a 2nd players control to do nothing but jump and use bombs.

In a years time, if I still cant figure out a way around it, then I will enter my money in a heavy mode tournament.
That's not camping. That's spamming arrows.

Camping is sitting with Toon Link on the edge shooting every projectile he's got. Then, when the opponent managed to get close, you knock him away with a u-smash, a d-smash, or a f-tilt. Then continue your spamming. Once your opponent is at a high enough percentage, kill him with a b-air combo, f-smash, f-air, what have you.

That is camping. You can't honestly tell me that you think a computer would've made a good camper, right?

HyperTheHedgeHog, are you reading this? You wanted to know what camping was, right? This is it. And it works really well in regular Brawl.

JugaBro

Smash Cadet
Sum this idea up so that the skimmers can be pleased? Fine. I will do this as short and sweet as possible, even though I will be repeating what we have said a million times.

Brawl was created with the defensive at an advantage, and the offensive not so. Heavy Brawl helps change this to make it more even.

Simple as that, with less details to sate the ones who dont take time to read something that is actually important to them, as it is to us. The competitive nature of Brawl.

HyperTheHedgehog

Smash Journeyman

Camping is sitting with Toon Link on the edge shooting every projectile he's got. Then, when the opponent managed to get close, you knock him away with a u-smash, a d-smash, or a f-tilt. Then continue your spamming. Once your opponent is at a high enough percentage, kill him with a b-air combo, f-smash, f-air, what have you.

That is camping. You can't honestly tell me that you think a computer would've made a good camper, right?

HyperTheHedgeHog, are you reading this? You wanted to know what camping was, right? This is it. And it works really well in regular Brawl.
What about catching bombs and perfect shielding?

Zig-Zag!

Smash Lord

I remember when a Shiek won Show me your moves 2. It was said no character could possibly compete with her throwing needles/grab technique after that tournament.

To this day, noone has ever beaten a shiek.

Nitoheilapine

Smash Apprentice
What has it become, exactly? I don't fully understand what camping is. I was under the impression it was projectile-spamming, but apparently theres more to it.
Dragz has summed up camping rather well.

Camping usually involves throwing projectiles that you have at the opponent. (This is the projectile part of the what is known to camping.) This forces the opponent to rush in or be bombarded with projectiles.

The second part of camping is when the enemy is finally close, the player pushes them away with a simple thought of attack, then resumes to bombard them with projectiles. Fun ain't it?

And ZZ... I really can't say anything that hasn't been said to that. :chuckle:

Also about the catching bombs bit. By the time you catch it, the bomb should already be closed to exploding. If not, Toon Link also has two more projectiles, the boomerang and the bow. Also! Another bomb if he felt like it.

Papapaint

Just your average kind of Luigi.
I've said this before.

We don't want it to resemble melee. But we do want it to resemble smash as a whole.

Smash, by its nature, is competitive. It's a fighter. But what separates it from other fighters? There are two things.

1. On-the-fly combos. Despite what people seem to think, there are very few "mindless" combos in smash. Most of them are DI-able to the point where you have to carefully follow and predict your opponent to continue them. Other fighting games don't quite have this--some are close, but none so extreme.

2. The edge. The entire game of percents, of guarding the edge, of falling off to die, etc... it is one hundred percent unique to smash. It's an essential part of smash. It makes smash smash. Melee without edges is just street fighter. Brawl without edges is mario party.

Sadly, Brawl doesn't have either of these two unique aspects. Or rather, it has them to an ignorable extent.

M.K

Level 55
Go to a tournament and watch the campfests in progress.

Wait a minute, are you going to go to tournaments? If your answer is no, then why do you freakin' care? From your attitude, it seems very clear that you haven't played many competitive matches where the purpose is to win and progress. If camping is your best bet, why be offense when you'll have a better chance winning by camping? It's like telling the U.S. army that carpetbombing's unfair and that they should be men and send in the ground troops, but why do anything else when carpetbombing is much more effective?

Sure, you're having a great time with Brawl, and if it's just you and your friends I don't care, go right ahead. But tournaments with regular Brawl seem to always degenerate into campfests. It's a freakin' shame. All I have been trying to do in this thread is help this competitive community. I don't think people have been understanding that intention at all.

I don't want to play Melee. I want to play Brawl. Competitive Brawl.
I'm sorry I don't dedicate my life to a video game. I have better things to do with my life than to sit in front of a tv and argue about pixelated mascots moving .33434323423 degrees beyond a designated spot. Ho ****!

HyperTheHedgehog

Smash Journeyman
Dragz has summed up camping rather well.

Camping usually involves throwing projectiles that you have at the opponent. (This is the projectile part of the what is known to camping.) This forces the opponent to rush in or be bombarded with projectiles.

The second part of camping is when the enemy is finally close, the player pushes them away with a simple thought of attack, then resumes to bombard them with projectiles. Fun ain't it?

And ZZ... I really can't say anything that hasn't been said to that. :chuckle:

Also about the catching bombs bit. By the time you catch it, the bomb should already be closed to exploding. If not, Toon Link also has two more projectiles, the boomerang and the bow. Also! Another bomb if he felt like it.

Sooo... Why did the attacking player just eat the attack? What happened to all the defensive options Brawl has?

JugaBro

Smash Cadet
Yeah, because we can all catch bombs and shield perfectly every time, right?

THis is just another one of those excuses that annoy me. Ok, tell me this, can you perfect shield every single one of fox's lasers, or Wolfs lasers, while advancing toward them? You can? Your the first!

I'll stop with the sarcasm now, and tell it as it is. Your just trying to come up with a simple way to get past campers that isn't as simple as it seems.

Also, I see the focus of arguments shifting towards camping, which isn't what this entire thread is about. Though it is one part, this is not the entire point of this thread. Look at the whole of it.

I have to sleep now, so I can't argue with you guys anymore. Cya tomrrow.

HyperTheHedgehog

Smash Journeyman
I'm sorry I don't dedicate my life to a video game. I have better things to do with my life than to sit in front of a tv and argue about pixelated mascots moving .33434323423 degrees beyond a designated spot. Ho ****!
"I have a life" is never valid when you're arguing over a videogame late at night on a message board.

Nitoheilapine

Smash Apprentice
Sooo... Why did the attacking player just eat the attack? What happened to all the defensive options Brawl has?
Wait say wha? Easy, the fight would go no where then if he just defended as well. Though most fights end up what you have just explain. Camping each other. Actually, the person without the projectiles does not have to attack at all and let the person with the projectiles keep throwing them.

Think about it though, one of them is eventually going to get bored and attack, falling right into the others camp. :chuckle:

((Also, why do I have a bowser Icon T.T! Menolikeybowser))

DRaGZ

Smash Champion
The projectiles are for both damage and pressure. If the approacher is hit, there is damage and there is pressure, which is great for the camper. If the approachers dodges or powershields, the pressure aspect is still there because it keeps the opponent back. Now, if the approacher manages to fully approach, the defender also has these options, so he can side-step and powershield too, thus the camper is in a superior position to knock the approacher away. If the approacher finally manages to get inside, the camper can just run away, since approaches are very slow in this game and hitstun is extremely small, and then start again. See the problem?

I didn't point out catching bombs because a good bomb thrower will throw at the opponent's feet, especially with Toon Link who has a large blast radius on his bombs.

I remember when a Shiek won Show me your moves 2. It was said no character could possibly compete with her throwing needles/grab technique after that tournament.

To this day, noone has ever beaten a shiek.
To be completely honest, I'm not getting your point, whether it's sarcasm, etc. Could you explain it please?

Then why are you even here arguing? Go awaaaay...lol.

But seriously, you're claiming to have superior knowledge of this game when it's obvious, by your own admission, that you haven't put as much time into it as I or many other have. Please, do some more research and make a more informed decision.

Ferith

Smash Cadet
Today's a beautiful day- I don't get to reply to just one essay-length post, not two, but THREE...at the same time!

Dragz, you first.

I think you're still missing the point. Yes, Heavy Brawl does change the gameplay focus. That was the entire point. We're trying to shift focus away from camping and towards a balance between offense and defense. Regular Brawl is heavily defensive based. Heavy Brawl is very balanced in terms of gameplay.
Camping is such a big deal you have to change the entire way the game is played to get around it?

This is a fighter game, where advanced hidden techs and glitches are BOTH abused. Why? Because people play to win. If there is anything that is garunteed a victory, then the player should have the right to use it. If you find a strategy that is 99% amazing, then you should learn to exploit it's 1% flaw. This means you've found it's counterstrategy, and soon they'll counter your counter and so on. This is half the competitive battle. You do not change the playing style of an entire game to avoid a strategy- you learn to beat it. There are ways around camping. I have fought several Pit campers- with Ike- and easily came out victorious (don't you just love that R button?) simply because I found a way around their strategy. If your opponent uses rock, you stop using scissors and use paper. Everything has a flaw, you just need to learn how to exploit it. Is this combat very defensive based? Yes, without a doubt, and that's because that's what Brawl is- a defensive game. It's like Chess- you don't change the rules to get past the 4-move checkmate, you just move your pawn.

Technically regular Brawl is competitive, yes. But it's competitive in the sense that one person will eventually outcamp the other. That's technically competitive, it's also technically boring as hell. Heavy Brawl, on the other hand, promotes both approaching and defending properly. The extra falling speed makes it so that you must time all of your attacks and techniques, defensive or otherwise, to be effective, thus a punishment game actually exists. If there is no punishment game, we just have long strings of guessing games, and that's just a boring tug-of-war no one wants to endure.
I won't respond for it's heavy base in opinion, although I do see your point. Punishment is downplayed in this game- both risk and reward are set down to smaller scales, however I believe this ability to make mistakes simply makes things more interesting. It's not a game of who makes the first mistake anymore- you have to MAKE them screw up... a lot.

Regular Brawl reminds me of a Korean variation of rock paper scissors called "Mook Chi Pah". Basically, both players shoot either rock, paper, or scissors. The person who has the advantage after shooting can then call the next thing he does as he changes, upon which the person at the disadvantage must also change. The point of the game is for the person in the advantage to try to get the person in the disadvantage to switch to the same symbol you're making.

Here's an example:

Shoot 1: Player 1 gets rock, Player 2 gets paper. Player 2 is at the advantage.
Shoot 2: Player 2 attempts a juke and shoots paper. Player 1, scared stays rock. Player 2 advantage.
Shoot 3: Player 2 shoots scissors. Player 1 stays rock. Player 1 advantage.
Shoot 4: Player 1 shoot rock. Player 2 also shot rock. Player 1 has won.

This is what combos in regular Brawl look like. It's a string of guessing games, and it's not worth for an approacher to put himself in this position when he can just camp and give himself an advantage for doing so.
Once again, your point is true only when refering to combos. This game was made to pretty much be the anti-combo. It was designed so combo's weren't possible. However, even the most basic fighting games have much more complex mindgames than the one you're referencing (although I appreciate your basic example for being easy to understand, it's not an accurate representation of any fighting game.) There's this thing many pros call prediction- and it's highly important. Let's say we fight. You go, use all the advanced techs you have, and get me down to one stock. Well now I've seen your playing style. I can tell if you're more likely to dash, or to jump, to fire your blaster or to roll over to me. Well I've seen you usually start with a dash, jump, and then dair. So when you begin to dash I don't use counter- instead I wait until just after you jump, use counter, and strike you back. Well now you're beginning to realize I've caught on, so instead you decide to attack BEFORE you jump. I don't counter, I get hit. This is not mere guessing, we're now basing our actions on the actions before us.

I don't know what you're talking about with Jigglypuff. I SUCKED with Jigglypuff in regular Brawl and now I rock extremely hard with her in Heavy Brawl (I have considered making her a secondary). Her wall of pain is now very difficult to get past, and you can literally wall of pain a character off of the stage and keep him there and still have enough puffs and pounds for recovery. Jigglypuff is amazing.
I don't actually play Jiggly- brother does. However her horizontal flexibility, as well as her arial reach would be significantly nerfed due to fast fall- she wouldn't be able to recover as well.

I don't know much about Luigi, but what's the matter with landing with him? Luigi's aerials seems to have very low landing lag to begin with, so I think it's acceptable to do two or three hits, fast fall, then jump again for more hits. Heavy Brawl certainly makes it fast enough for this to work.
Because he's built on that floatiness. There are several combos that simply aren't made possible as a result of faster falling. This faster falling takes away from that. Furthermore, he depends on his enemies floatiness in this game just as much as his own because he's not a particularly fast or strong character. It's harder for him to knock his enemies back up in the air once they've hit the ground- because you've lost your advantage. Luigi gets less hits in the air- his battleground- and they get more time on the ground, weakening the advantage you tried so hard to get.

Also, I don't think you have any idea whatsoever about why items and certain stages were banned.

Items are random. No matter how you put it, no matter how impartial the item itself may be, they spawn randomly. Random elements detract from competitive play. Thus, items were turned off.
That's reward based on position- unfariness.

Stage banning was done for more complex reasons. Hyrule Temple was banned because it was large enough to promote hit-and-run tactics while keeping onself alive through teching in the "Cave of Immortality". All walk-off stages were banned because camping allowed a good backthrow to cost a stock. Some stages were just plain too dangerous to play on because of all the hazards strewn everywhere.
HTemple was banned because Fox had an unfair advantage- you could shoot a single blaster shot and run around the stage, waiting for time to run out. Walk off stages were banned for backthrow because it gave throwing characters an unfair advantage. Which is what I was saying before- fairness matters.

Heavy Brawl nerfs everyone while buffing everyone (each to different degrees). It doesn't make anyone any more cheap or any less cheap, rather it takes away recovery options, which were already godly in this game anyway, and provides more offensive options, which this game sorely needed. Heavy Brawl is not random, it promotes a balance of offense and defense, it discourages hardcore camping, and it has nothing to do with random stage hazards.
I do see where you're coming from, however Heavy Brawl hasn't been experimented to it's fullest- even Regular Brawl hasn't, so there's no way we can tell what this will do to balance at all.

Now for JugaBro.

Not bad. Using one of the ONLY example for projective vr projective as a justification for mindgames. Not saying that this isn't a mindgame, but it's not so easy for every single character. Mabey your just saying that to show that not everything is so simple (well, you are showing that), but trying to use this wont change the facts. Using a single situation, Lucas vr Iceclimbers wont change the facts. For example, lets say the iceclimbers can do that to Lucas, a great mindgame. Who else can? Another projective spammer? Pit, mabey? Are you saying that we should leave it to certain characters to fight these spammers, letting others die? Even things like Pits shield and the iceclimbers tactic aren't foolproof. I do understand why you are saying that things aren't so simple, but in many cases they are, some things, such as Toon Link spamming bombs/boomerang/arrows cant be stopped by a majority of characters.
By no means, I simply pointed out the flaw in his example. A character like Ike could jump into the PK Fire and use Counter, any character could jump and simply airdodge the predicted usmash, Kirby could jump, jump again to dodge the Usmash, Pikachu could thunderhop, etc.,

Changes the focus of the game? You mean from projectile spamming, and hit and run, to comboing and true mindgames? You mean from spamming so you can smash attack for a one hit kill, instead of actually being able to edgeguard in this game? I think I'd rather like the focus changed this way, wouldn't you?
It puts more focus on the edge and comboing than mindgaming and racking up damage for a garunteed KO's which I don't agree with. Of course it'll have it's positives, but I'm playing Brawl for the mindgaming and for the damage racking, if I wanted edge-focus and comboing I could always go back to Melee. Of course, your point is valid and you do have a right to be concerned, but it's a matter of taste really. My entire game has always been on mindgaming- even in Melee I beat some of the most tech abusive Marth's and Fox's there were with Roy and Luigi, without the use of advanced techs simply because of the superior mindgame I played.

Yes, some of the tactics used in normal Brawl may not become perfectly valid when used in heavy. Of course, the type your talking about is one type, which deals with KO'ing with edgeguarding. So you cant stay down below a stage and spike them, losing your opportunity to edgeguard them? NO. Dont you understand that Heavy Brawl helps make edgeguarding a more viable and usefull choice? And how many times have you actually had to edgeguard in normal brawl, where almost everyone can recover perfectly? How many times would someone get caught in the same tactic with Jiggly, anyway? That's just another tactic changed, but the actuality of edgeguarding is still there. Dont get me started on Luigi, I main Luigi. I'm not a professional Brawl Luigi player, but I know that he is good in the air. That is a fact, and you realize that. Realy- how many times do you spam the same move in the air with Luigi before landing, anyway? I usualy do one short hopped ariel at a time. What kind of tactic revolves around jumping and doing a fair or bair 4 times in a row while in the air, and actually hitting them every time? I would want a video of this tactic, because as far as I can tell, Luigi users dont play this way, at least checking their forums often. And also, just because he was built a certain way does not advocate spamming a move in the air 4 times in a row. I rather like Luigi in heavy.
You misinterpereted my point.

Jiggly has lost the effectiveness of a tactic. This is now a hamper on anyone who might use this. Would the same person get caught in it more than once? Probably not, that's where mindgaming comes in, however the point was that some characters lose out in some ways.

As for Luigi, I'm by no means an idiot. Nobody's going to simply bair five times in a row, however there are many arial combos he can pull off- most of his game is arial. dsmash, uair, fair, double jump, dair, grab, throw, dair again, edge guard. This is a combo I occasionally use. Notice that most of it's in the air. This is for a reason- Luigi can pull off many consecutive hits in the air, and his floatiness attributes to that. Does that mean he can't fight on the ground? No. But he has an advantage over many others in the air for his superior air tech- his fair has great priority for example, and good knockback.

I got slightly confused by the message of the person you were refuting, and your message back, since they didn't seem to mix (he didn't seem to be advocating the fact that something in the game should be used, he was talking about things in there should be taken out, wasn't he? You were technically stating the same thing he was. that things like smash balls are not needed because they take no mental power/ thought to use and cause damage? Mabey I'm confused, please correct me if I am and how so.)
I was a bit confused while typing it, so I'm sure I probably agreed with him in some way.

And now for Nit.

Exaggeration my butt. A casual player does care about mindgames whether they know it or not. The only time this is null is when a person who just picked up the game, a person who is underaged, or person ushered into the game is playing. If you didn't want the statement picked, why bring it up at all. You could have easily said Mindgames are everything to a competitive player without bringing casual up at all. Sorry, but that's how it is done.
A casual player will not care about mindgames nearly as much as a competitive. Not consciously- since they probably won't know they exist. However, if you'd like to be word-picky about it I'll give this to you- it's not a vital point.

Back to RPS for a second there. RPS, played enough times against the same person, is easy to find out their routine. This applies to brawl and a person's stock. You'll know how their going to counter, and you know how their going to do it. This kills off any strategies you had. The other attacks that could be sprung upon you at anytime are now identified other than being cloaked in shadow.

Each attack has a set up and any tourny prone person should know this. This actually pushes the game behind RPS in terms of strategy somewhat. You know what they are going to do before hand simply because of the setup. You will already have the counter set up. Atleast in RPS you don't have any idea what's going on until you've learned the strategy.

What I'm trying to say here is it can begin as a mindgame and will deteriorate into RPS. Thank you very much
Prediction is what seperates a mindgame from a guessing game. Thing is, a good player will know you've caught onto their strategy and change it, throwing you off guard. You now have to change your counter strategy and so on. Some moves do have setups, but there are places where you can pull off more than one move, and you should utilize that. Pull off an unfavorable move to throw them off, shield instead of attack, and so on. There are a dozen things you could do to mix things up- nothing is so set in stone as everyone seems to think.

This is simple if you have played Ice Climbers against Lucas. Lucas's PK Fire spouts off in a diagonal direction when it hits. It'll collide with the first ice cube and push the second ice cube back to the Ice Climbers. I thought this was obvious and a mistake on my part so atleast you have pointed it out.

Since this is pointed out, it now leaves the rest of your arguement to fall below the blast line. Ice Climbers can not start their offensive since the so called Ice shot did not work. The only thing it did was push Lucas back cause of PK Fire. My view on the situation was limiting because there are only a limited number of ways to approach in this sort of situation.

Short-hopped blizzard will disrupt Lucas's PK fire stream, in turn. You get hit with PK fire and pushed back. Stale Mate. Lucas PK fires, IC blizzard again. Lucas uses PSI magnet and pops it, resulting in health healed and IC pushed back. IC loss. The only real approach is the squal which again can be PK fired. I dunno if it disrupts.
If he's spamming PK Fire, I don't see why you can't spam PK Blizzard. The second he uses his PSI Magnet is the second you can begin your offensive- the wall of fire no longer there.

Please explain to me when the first scenario will be present. Ike's recovery is rather easy to push back far enough into an unfavorable position with Jigglypuff able to recover from it, heavy or non heavy. Only position I could imagine is Jiggly far diagonally away from the stage in which heavy brawl would drag her down as well. The better question is who would push Ike (Who would be in the same position if the first scenario were to happen.) further away?

Luigi, I can't discuss him since I don't use him at all. From a floaty perspective, this holds true. Agreed.
The first scenario probably wouldn't be used on Ike- probably someone like Pit instead. Ike was just my example as I tend to use him =P

You tell me. I'm talking about both since in your post it came off as so, talking about the way the game came. My argument is not based since it was in, it should be used competitively. Let's take this current arguement though. Unfair advantages. Tell me this, since everyone is floaty, what advantages does it bring to Luigi. In turn, what disadvantages does it bring to Ice Climbers (who are not known for their air game). Since the floaty brawl brings unfair advantages to certain characters, what shall we do?

Falling on this arguement actually makes me sad on the inside ._. Cause it leaves much to be desired. The person above my explained things better than I at the moment.

And much like the person above me ._. I'm confused with this statement as well... Please clarify.
The game was balanced with Ice Climbers in mind =P

I don't really remember what I was attacking, however I believe you were mentioning putting items and smash balls on to make a point I didn't catch onto. My apologies, ignore my stupidity.

I should've just wrote a book, would've saved me time on this post =P

HyperTheHedgehog

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, because we can all catch bombs and shield perfectly every time, right?

THis is just another one of those excuses that annoy me. Ok, tell me this, can you perfect shield every single one of fox's lasers, or Wolfs lasers, while advancing toward them? You can? Your the first!.
Well, not to fox, but its pretty simple to Wolf. So yes, yes I can. Perfect shielding is really easy in Brawl.

Also, wow @ like 15 of you attacking little ol' me

Pyr0

Smash Ace
First off, let me congratulate (most members) that have posted in this thread, even when they do not share the same ideas, they are smart enough to discuss them with respect and a lot of valid arguments.

Second, I enjoy the rush Heavy Brawl gives us and would be happy to adapt to it.

But!

I do feel the need to give normal brawl some breathing room, let the metagame settle a little more before we jump to conclusions.
Lets wait to see how it evolves (or not evolves) and then decide if we should change.
Lets have a couple of tournaments where we can see what is going on, its still early in brawl's lifespan (if its anything like Melee's) so give it time.

Keep up the smart discussion guys, this is a superb example (it has some exceptions) of what all discussions should be like.

Nitoheilapine

Smash Apprentice
Holy freakin quotes batman!

I'll sum it into sentences. I can see how these quotes would just get longer and longer T.T Sorry Ferfer.

It's rather complexing cause we jump onto this thing as if one person was doing all the attacking and one person was doing all the defending. This is camping as the thread was discussing. Since the point has been brought around to camping, I can say this.

It does not take an idiot to know to Ftilt if someone is approaching you from the front, up tilt if they approach from above, or pressure them into attackin instead of you. This was the main point of the thread, and the reason Heavy Brawl was brought up. Mindgames does not play a big part in camping and is easy to any person. This includes my little brother who does it excessively.

For the Ice Climbers Lucas Scenario. PSI Magnet can be popped to damage the opponent and knock them back. This results into going back to firing them to death. Also, PK blizzard... If Ice Climbers actually said PK blizzard, I would die of happiness.

For the falling Jigglypuff scenario. Heavy brawl would once again tamper with the other character. If you knock Pit if out of his Up B, he no longer can use it. Peach is also dragged down cause her recovery is horizontal, not vertical.

For the last point ._. Is it that obvious that I main Ice Climbers. Weeee.

Top Bottom