• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Headphones

Chris Lionheart

Smash Champion
Ok, I use headphones rather than loudspeakers on my computer most of the time. I like being able to listen to loud music without the people around my apartment being disturbed.

The problem is, every 2-3 months every pair of headphones I get just gets blown. Its always the same. The right side of the headphones stops producing sound unless I manipulate the cord just right. And then a while later, the right side stops working altogether.

It really annoys me to listen to music in mono. Its no fun. Background noises interfere, the music is softer... its just not the same.

Why does this keep happening and is there a way to prevent it? I'm not mistreating the headphones or anything. It just keeps happening with regular use.

*Sigh* For someone who spends so much time on the computer, I really don't know a lot about it.

I just lost another pair today. =/

JLynn943

Smash Ace
What kind of headphones are you buying? I've had the same ear bud headphones for 2 years now, and they've defitely gone through heavy usage.

I used to have problems with the kind that go over your ears. They would do the same thing you're describing, but I found earbuds that have great sound quality, so I've never had to go back to the other kind

Blazey

Magical Love Gentleman
BRoomer
I had the same problem with 3 pairs of headphones in a row. I eventually accepted that the reason for it was that they cost $8.00 AUD a pair, including the four dollars for shipping. Invest in some quality headphones and you'll be 'right.

KayLo!

Smarter than your average wabbit.
3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
The same thing happens to me, except it's not with my computer, it's with my iPod. (Happens to my sister with hers, too.) I don't buy cheap headphones either.... they're not super high tech, but they're definitely not crappy.

I think I'm going to replace my iPod with a Zune soon anyway, so hopefully it won't be a problem for much longer... :( In any case, I feel your pain.

Azua

Scourge Cheerleader
Premium
BRoomer
I recommend buying some Skullcandy headphones from Best Buy and getting an extended warranty since you've been having issues.

Skullcandy is an awesome brand. I accidentally ran over my MP3 player with my car and it still worked like normal afterwards.....The pair of headphones I bought have seem two years of abuse so far and are still working perfectly.

You can get ones with a subwoofer in them too >D

They're kinda high, but imo they're worth it.

LumpyCPU...

Smash Hero
Slippi.gg
half#198
ya know, i have that same problem.
i don't wanna spend over 30 bucks on "good" ones if the same thing could happen to them too.
idk... maybe i should haha

CluelessBTD

Smash Ace
I recommend buying some Skullcandy headphones from Best Buy and getting an extended warranty since you've been having issues.

Skullcandy is an awesome brand. I accidentally ran over my MP3 player with my car and it still worked like normal afterwards.....The pair of headphones I bought have seem two years of abuse so far and are still working perfectly.

I was about to buy a pair of Skullcandy headphones at Best Buy, but then somebody told me they sucked and break quickly...hmm. Who to believe...

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
I had the exact same problem, must have gone through 5 sets of headphones over three years.. so I went out and bought a pair of these

Solid.

LumpyCPU...

Smash Hero
Slippi.gg
half#198
I had the exact same problem, must have gone through 5 sets of headphones over three years.. so I went out and bought a pair of these

Solid.
lol cool.
my friend has some sony headphones that are very similar.
they really limit what you can here outside of your music. lol
they're practically earmuffs. i guess that's good though.

Mith_

Smash Champion
The problem is, every 2-3 months every pair of headphones I get just gets blown. Its always the same. The right side of the headphones stops producing sound unless I manipulate the cord just right. And then a while later, the right side stops working altogether.
I thought I was the only one.

The thing that happened to Chris' headphones happened to my skullcandies twice.

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
Same thing happens to me a good bit.

Gonna get some skullcandys soon so that should be good.

The current ones I have are working fine, they are those in ear things (like, goes into your ear more than normal ones or whatever) and they work great. I think they're called ifrogz or something like that.

Azua

Scourge Cheerleader
Premium
BRoomer
Then again, some of you might be like how I am with cellphones.

No matter what kind of phone or where, it almost never rings when people call the phone that's on me.

I've had like 16 different phones, and 4 different services.

When I give the phone to other people, it works fine. wtf.

Perhaps headphones are sensitive, too.

Mith_

Smash Champion
Do you guys blast the music as loud as it goes or what?
I hate loud music, not only is it annoying and can disturb others it also drains my Zune's battery life :p

Maybe Skullcandy earbuds just suck. I've never tried the real headphones from them.

Shök

Smash Champion
Azua is right.

Not only are earbuds bad, but they don't produce the same sound quality as headphones.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
I prefer earbuds for public use, to let noise in so I can hear what's going on around me but when I'm at home I prefer headphones. Right now I have Logitech headphones for online games and it's fine for now.

Darkslash

Smash Master

Solid.
Mine broke. They barely lasted a 3 months. My Ipod Earphones lasted for 3 years. Its just recently that they died, mostly becuase the wire got cut badly.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
Y'know, lisnening and cranking up the music to it's loudest while listening to music in them can damage your hearing, it's true.

But as for the best earphones, I'd recommend using Sony Earphones, they are simply the best type of headphone I could ever own.

Bailey

Smash Hero
Dude I got ear buds at sears like 2 years ago and they are still holding up and I blast music like IwrestledAbearOnce and Bring me the Horizon lol

cF=)

Smash Lord
My topic got closed but, as an audiophile, which pair of CLOSED headphones should I buy with a budget between 150-200$? I'm looking for a good bass rendering, clear mids, and something I could use in an area like a library. Anything among the big brands like sennheiser, audio technica, denon, AKG, etc. ?

To respond to Azua's comment: earbuds don't suck if you buy ECHs (ear canal headphones). Dig this (link)

EDIT: On second thought, I might have find something interesting... anybody has an idea or a review to give me on the JAYS' q-JAYS?

Livvers

Used to have a porpoise
BRoomer
http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-CX300-B-Earbuds-Black/dp/B000E6G9RI

My friend says those are basically the best ear buds he's ever had.

I have a pair of Hesh Skullcandy's. Good for their price, I suppose. Durability seems to depend person to person. Mine are fine after months of use, but my friend has had his for less than half that time, and they've started to crack where you adjust the size. Same thing happened to his friend. I have a small head, btw.

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
I got earbuds for Christmas with plastic pig ends on the end because they thought it was funny. They didn't realize you couldn't take them off. If I was less comfortable with myself I'd buy new ones. Instead I'm wearing them now, and listening to the Chicago soundtrack.

Maybe I should go post in that other thread

LumpyCPU...

Smash Hero
Slippi.gg
half#198
yeah, fer sher. lol

the ones that prevent you from hearing your smoke alarm. TOO GOOD

Ryan Ludovic

Smash Journeyman
Do you guys blast the music as loud as it goes or what?

I work a job where i listen to music 8 hours straight.
It's natural wear-and-tear for them to die in about a month[

Unfortunately, I cannot wear the big headphones to work, just the tiny ones.
I've learned to just deal with the expense, when i added up the math. 10 dollars for 25 days with a minimum of 9-10 hours, I suppose I can't complain all that much..

Though, it still annoys the hell out of me >.<

GOD!

Smash Ace
I bought these $15 sony ones and they both broke in a few months, but only on one side. So I decided to get some $30 in ear headphones, and they work really well. In-ear doesn't require as much noise to be produced, that might have been the difference for me.

kong_korps

Smash Apprentice

LOLLLLLLL how do you even do that??

but i couldn't dare imagine wearing darkslash's biga*ss headphones on my bus to school.

I've seen this one kid wear some headphones like that and looked like a complete idiot.

but if im by myself head phones>ear phones.

Blooqkazoo

Smash Journeyman
I heard Apple's in-ear headphones were good for the new iPod owners. It has a remote and a mic that works with the new iPods

I got some noise cancelling headphones from Sony for Christmas. Of course the cheap ones, but it works.

Azua

Scourge Cheerleader
Premium
BRoomer
LOLLLLLLL how do you even do that??
Sometimes I sit stuff in my lap while I'm driving and forget about it when I get up.
It landed in the grass so I didn't hear it hit.
Then I backed over it the next day on the way to work.
lol

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
I was putting together a chair, and there were plastic bags everywhere. As I grabbed one to move it out of the way, it rubbed against the dangling wires of my headphones. It then proceeded to static-shock my ear =[.

Go, try it. Felt very strange.

Ryan Ludovic

Smash Journeyman
... or just buy a pair of 99 cent earbuds
had mines for almost a year now
in before you read the rest of the topic.

99 cent ear buds sound bad, they don't capture the musics bass, and sound like you left your mp3 player on full volume 12 feet away in a coffee can in someones basement.

So I am not suprised you had them for a year, with quality like that, I'd have issues being inspired enough to use them more than once a week.

I am a musician, I want to hear every sound I make as other people would. Likewise, I want to hear every song the way the orig musician has intended.

cF=)

Smash Lord
All of you "low end headphones" lovers should try what I just bought:

AudioTechnica ATH M50

Top Bottom