• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Having trouble getting that kill? A Laijin YL killing faq

Rook

Smash Apprentice
You dont know how much this mini-guide helped me. Now i know what not to spam.

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
The Lai-Fire attack:
A lot of people in GA have started calling this the Lai-Fire attack whenever I do it, and so thats the name i'm gonna call it from now on :)

__

I think it's funny how you say alot of people when im the only person who said it, for comedic value for you money match VS EVIL E!!!

OH NOES!! LOOK OUT!

HE'S BALLIN!!!!!!!!! >.< lol

OddCrow

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1676-3709-1310
YL is my 2nd character (after Falco)
and I play competitively, I find that a smash throw of his boomerang can sometimes take the place of his forward smash. It has great knock back and damage. Especially at close range, usually done when falling towards enemy.

C.S. Dinah

Smash Champion
I know I main Samus, but I think Young Link should be at a higher tier.
He looks like he has a pretty good projectile game!
Falcos' just DaGeRoUs!

Keyo

Smash Apprentice
Laijin made a thread on killing with Young Link and yet he couldn't kill Drephen's Sheik until like 212% quit life lol.

Lin_

Smash Apprentice
Keyo, why do you keep bashing Laijin all the time???
I mean I'm not sure if it's a joke or not, but I saw in some other thread you were just about butchering him too.

PDOT

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4871-5506-0357
Cos Keyo = Jash

and Jash + Laijin = Rivals

Laijin

Smash Hero
Cos Keyo = Jash

and Jash + Laijin = Rivals
When did Jash and I become rivals?

Just because I made a fact about YL does not automatically make me an expert about killing people with YL. Have you ever thought about that maybe I was not trying solely looking at trying to kill Drephen? That I was trying out different things to get better?
I knew I was not going to win the match against him, but I knew it would be a good learning experience for me. So instead of trying to win, I made it a learning experience.
And what I learned is that I will never play that match up again because its so incredibly stupid.

Its alright that your a Jash fan-boy Keyo, but that does not give you an almighty power to go around flaming people. So calm that **** down plz.

PDOT

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4871-5506-0357
Nice essay, i'll read that when I have time.

Keyo

Smash Apprentice
When did Jash and I become rivals?

Just because I made a fact about YL does not automatically make me an expert about killing people with YL. Have you ever thought about that maybe I was not trying solely looking at trying to kill Drephen? That I was trying out different things to get better?
I knew I was not going to win the match against him, but I knew it would be a good learning experience for me. So instead of trying to win, I made it a learning experience.
And what I learned is that I will never play that match up again because its so incredibly stupid.

Its alright that your a Jash fan-boy Keyo, but that does not give you an almighty power to go around flaming people. So calm that **** down plz.
It was definitely a joke, you definitely need to calm down. Its not my fault that Jash is better then you and you had no reason to even bring that up because i said nothing about Jash here. Learn to take a joke once in awhile jeez.:dizzy:

PDOT

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4871-5506-0357
Prof pro is very important get your facts right ^_^

sherigami

Smash Journeyman
I enjoy playing Young Link a lot, mainly against my friends(who are not that bad), and sometimes in friendlies. I have something to add to the Marth and Fox matchups(if anybody ever reads this post).

Marth: On stages with open platforms like Dreamland and Yoshi's Story(veeery tricky stage), i like to camp a lot. since the platforms are far apart, you can camp easily on them, and just run around above them being careful not to get hit. The bombs can be thrown between the platforms and is very useful for camping, and if they dont space their approach well, then you can hit them with a smash boomerang and then combo them.

Fox(Might work on Falco, never tried): OK, well they're not really good with Fox, so this strategy is still in prototype. YL can chaingrab spacies with upthrow to about 30%. Once they're at about 50-60%, you can upthrow and then uptilt, followed by an uair, followed by another uair, fair, nair, or other things. If you can grab them then its pretty easy to kill them with dsmash, and bombs work pretty well against them as well as smash boomerangs at medium percents. Pretty much, you want to camp as much as you can(assuming you punish them if they shine) and then kill them once they reach mind-percents, since YL revolves around combos. Oh yeah, and Up-B out of shield spamming works like a charm. It sounds kinda stupid, but it works if they go in for a spaced nair, since they can't do much once you shield it. Don't try it if they dair you and try to shield pressure, cause you'll get murdered.

I hope that works. I've never tried it against any really good people, but hopefully I will get the chance, assuming that Melee doesn't die too quickly.

Laijin

Smash Hero
I kinda assumed the vs. Marth thing is common sense. :\ So I never mentioned it.
The chain throw does work against fox and falco. I personally never use it because grabbing is really risky in the first place if you don't mind game them properly. And usually i'm not looking for a grab when their % is that low.
Melee won't die. ;] If you have not already noticed, people are traveling ALOT more to play in melee tournaments(since there are less of them). So there are more large scale tournaments that attract lots of OOS from states far far away. If this trend continues, Melee will rise again.

Skyson

Smash Ace
There should be an awesome general video for this. Like "101 Young Link KOs" or something just to show how a few different ways to "get" the kill. It might just be me being whiny about being a more visual learner, though this guide is extremely helpful. I was just proposing an idea. Finding clips wouldn't be tough, just a clip of Young Link KOing another character. <_<

rhan

Smash Hero
LAIJIN LIVES!

I can help contribute a bit to the guide. I know a few match ups down to the nitty gritty. :)

Laijin

Smash Hero
LAIJIN LIVES!

I can help contribute a bit to the guide. I know a few match ups down to the nitty gritty. :)
Yea.. I'm getting back into melee again since I've been noticing how its slowly creeping its way back in the scene..plus its too much fun still. So maybe in a few months or so i'll have some new vids maybe.

I'll look for someone who actually likes editing videos. lol.

Skyson

Smash Ace
Oh. Good idea. Maybe i'll do that sometime.
Although I really suck at video editing. :[ (Or more like I can't do it at all. lol)
I spent about the last hour collecting videos for this. Like, I have at least 3 matches of SOMEONE'S Young Link against almost all 26 characters. wtf @ no YLink vs. Mewtwo, Kirby, or Luigi. =(

I was gonna do this myself, tbh. Was gonna arrange it alphabetically, like 15 KO clips on Bowser, 15 clips on Falcon, etc...

Or maybe arrange it by order of difficulty match-up wise? I was kind of collecting more videos for certain characters (Fox, Falco, etc) than others, and was considering putting the KOs on more difficult characters first.

I don't know for sure, just tossing around ideas, plus I have to take a large chunk of time to download all of these videos. @_@

Caleb Wolfbrand

Smash Master
Sounds good. Just spoke to a friend of mine. He is already making a Young Link combo vid, so i'll ask him to make a tutorial with me.
would that be... me?

I'd do a tutorial when I get done with this **** combo video. taking forever...

I already have to make a tutorial for some YL **** so we can just combine it hoho

hopefully I will be done with the combo vid by March

Laijin

Smash Hero
would that be... me?

I'd do a tutorial when I get done with this **** combo video. taking forever...

I already have to make a tutorial for some YL **** so we can just combine it hoho

hopefully I will be done with the combo vid by March
That would be you!
We can combine our YL powers to create the ULTIMATE TUTORIAL!!

Laijin

Smash Hero
Hmm..so I have recently thought about seriously updating this.
My new match up experiences should help a lot haha

Who wants me to update? If I get enough demand then maybe I will

rhan

Smash Hero
You know I'm down. Just gimme a matchup and I'll sum it up the best way I can to get that kill. ;D

Top Bottom