• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Having trouble getting that kill? A Laijin YL killing faq

rhan

Smash Hero
You've probably never Uair juggled a Fox or Falco before. lol

Laijin: Which character are you wanting to start on first?

Laijin

Smash Hero
To air juggle a human spacey, you must be able to fast fall your u-air and l-cancel it immediately. Having platforms around helps and also a lot of people have bad DI and no YL experience so they think they can beat his u-air loloollolol. If they DI away though but too far for another u-air, just n-air them.

Who do you guys think I should start with first?

Kurasuke

Smash Rookie
thanks for the guide

YL is my best character and I'm new to the scene. I knew most of these tactics but I've never really played around with the bombs. Ive been told im godly with the boomerang though but of course that's my favorite weapon. If you update I'd gladly use it to continue my practice. Question, what's a good way to improve without many human players? I play alot of level 9 computers but they're much too predictable and after a while you just learn their style.

Laijin

Smash Hero
The most you can do by yourself is practice your tech skill(Bomb combos, up-b ledge grab, etc etc). What I used to do is watch videos and try and mimic combos that I see in those vids.
When you play against people, try and practice the stuff your able to against human players(Edge guarding, catching bombs off of their shield, etc etc).

Not much, but I hoped it helps a bit

rhan

Smash Hero
It's okay new comer. We shall teach you the ways.

Also to kill Falcon... Nair. It beats everything he has that isn't a Uair. I won a tourney match against a Falcon main from NC (No names he was hella pissed after the match) by spamming Nair and edgegaurding with D-smash/Dtilt. If I felt ballsy... I'd nair him while he was off the stage.

Srsly though Nair is the best move you got against him.

Laijin

Smash Hero
Rhan speaks to the truth. You're n-air comes out faster than all his aerials(however it doesn't have more priority..just faster). You should be able to **** falcon with n-airs out of shield alllll day

Kurasuke

Smash Rookie
Alright i'll play around with it. I need to get my short hop down though. It wont make much of a difference if I go flying all around the stage when i try to pull it off. Also i I've learned that an arrow to the face when he tries his third jumps cancels it. I've won quite a few matches like that. This DOES NOT work with fox though.

rhan

Smash Hero
I already stated this in another thread. Bt if you're looking for good Young LInk players you want to look up

Jash
TRC
Laijin
Vanz
D20

And me but I'm not as good as those guys.

Laijin

Smash Hero
I don't have any recent vids though LOL(all my recent vids are of Sheik)
Reason being is I don't use Young Link in tournament nowadays except once in a blue moon. But that should change soon

Kurasuke

Smash Rookie
okay so i played around with the bombs a bit today with some friends. first of all... they do help. ALOT. I like to use them to catch them off guard or drop them off when someone tries to do any aerials against me to stop the pursuit. But it doesn't seem like something I can rely on. I'm a pretty aggressive player. I know with YL you have to prod around with the opponent then sneak in and take them out but that's really not my style. Like in the vid wad showed he pretty much just wave landed and bombed and I really dont have the type of patience for that. I do have to say that the down spike he has is pretty useful but the two I play against roll with peach and marth so it's really not amazingly useful with them unless you have like godly timing. The only problem that arose with me was the edge on marth's f-smash. How do you counter that? A perfect wavedash and that attack can cover like half of FD.

Kurasuke

Smash Rookie
thing is.. marth has a longer attack range than YL's hookshot so this guy can counter before i can react. He's like a movement pro. And also somehow if I'm close enough to hookshot him he can also grab me. And if that happens its game over. A good spot dodge does well and I havent really tested out bombs though. I'll get on that. Thanks for the suggestions though.

rhan

Smash Hero
I'll get Shaeman to get an amazing match of me vs a Chicago Marth/Falco player that's in the area for a little while. He's really good and I got to actually have a decent match of me vs his Marth. It was soo good on both ends.

I'll convince him to get it up by next weekend. It should be a good vs Marth reference.

Laijin

Smash Hero
thing is.. marth has a longer attack range than YL's hookshot so this guy can counter before i can react. He's like a movement pro. And also somehow if I'm close enough to hookshot him he can also grab me. And if that happens its game over. A good spot dodge does well and I havent really tested out bombs though. I'll get on that. Thanks for the suggestions though.
OKAY. Heres Laijin's detailed guide on how to not get hit by Marth's fsmash:

1. Shield grabbing. If the Marth is good at spacing, this won't work as he won't be close enough to shield grabbed. However, if you ARE close enough you must be able to react to his fsmash and grab him before he gets out of lag.
2. If you happen to have a bomb in your hand, shield the fsmash and throw the bomb out of shield. It will work.
3.SIDE STEP!. Young Link has one of the quickest and best side steps in the game, so why not use it? If you can anticipate the fsmash, side stepping it should be quite easy to do and afterwards you can do almost anything you want to him while hes in lag(Grabbing, throwing a projectile, dash attack, aerial, dsmash, etc etc).
4. Avoid the fsmash! The most obvious choice here. Stay out of his range! Obviously Marth out ranges you, but unlike most other characters in the game you actually have options to deal a lot of damage while constantly being out of his range. So pretty much, camping better is option #4
5.SIDE STEP! My favorite option..so I'm listing it twice haha

Yeaa..I think that covers about everything. Follow this advice and try them out. See what works for you the best =) Feel free to ask me questions as needed

SSBM_Sora

The Yung God
I have a quick question!
I use Young Link and i always projectile juggle (95% chance of getting hit by my projectiles) and usually finish them off with a Dsmash or a Nair.
Is spamming my projectile good for every characters for kills or should i just do some close combat with more advance skills such as tech chase and etc in order to win the favor.
I mean i still do good with my first plan but i just want another persons opinion on it.
I played against Irish Mofia and he likes my Young Link its just that i want someone else's opinion who would know Young Link better? No offence Irish!

Laijin

Smash Hero
I have a quick question!
I use Young Link and i always projectile juggle (95% chance of getting hit by my projectiles) and usually finish them off with a Dsmash or a Nair.
Is spamming my projectile good for every characters for kills or should i just do some close combat with more advance skills such as tech chase and etc in order to win the favor.
I mean i still do good with my first plan but i just want another persons opinion on it.
I played against Irish Mofia and he likes my Young Link its just that i want someone else's opinion who would know Young Link better? No offence Irish!
To camp or not to camp.
It really depends.There is no clear definite answer. In most match ups, yes camping is better than fighting up close. However its a good idea to learn how to fight up close too. There will be times when you forced to and if you don't know how to, that could cost you a stock. So its a good idea to keep a balance on both, but camping is very important to Young Link's game. Usually its combo'ing off projectiles that lead to a lot of YL's kills ;O

SSBM_Sora

The Yung God
Do your style change depending on Top tier and Low tier characters you are going against?
And Whats your favorite top tier MU with Young Link?
Because maybe i can look for some videos of how you play against certain characters instead of just general ones and see if i can learn from them.

Laijin

Smash Hero
Do your style change depending on Top tier and Low tier characters you are going against?
And Whats your favorite top tier MU with Young Link?
Because maybe i can look for some videos of how you play against certain characters instead of just general ones and see if i can learn from them.
Well. I don't have any recent vids of my YL so thats probably not gonna work out too well lol. My favorite top tier match up is probably Falcon. Hes the most fun to combo and play against, plus falcons that just short hop all the time makes it much easier to hit with projectiles.

I don't really style change depending on the match up. I do indeed do different things according to the player's playstyle however, whether they are aggressive, campy or defensive. For example against an aggressive player, I tend to bait them into my projectiles, against a campy player I just camp right back, against defensive players I just pressure them with my projectiles.

I'll get some vids up my tournament

SSBM_Sora

The Yung God
Well. I don't have any recent vids of my YL so thats probably not gonna work out too well lol. My favorite top tier match up is probably Falcon. Hes the most fun to combo and play against, plus falcons that just short hop all the time makes it much easier to hit with projectiles.

I don't really style change depending on the match up. I do indeed do different things according to the player's playstyle however, whether they are aggressive, campy or defensive. For example against an aggressive player, I tend to bait them into my projectiles, against a campy player I just camp right back, against defensive players I just pressure them with my projectiles.

I'll get some vids up my tournament
OOH!! And yeah that would be great!
Weird enough hes the one i have the most trouble on against.
I have an easier time against Fox or Falco. I think i just have trouble on aggressive players which basically are Falcons for the most part. Because i'm not to good with close combat. So i should probably start working on that like you said.

And heres the thing!
I know Young Link's MU with Jiggs and Peach should be good but i can't really play against them. I'd have to switch to my Zelda. Well i mean i do win with Zelda its just that I should probably be using my Young Link against those two. A better MU. With Young Link I know Uair or Dair works good against them because killing them upwards is the best way to kill Jiggs and peach but T_____T its kind of hard if the people you are playing actually know how to use Peach and Jiggs to their extent. I kind of think its hard to camp against Jiggs and Peach. Got any ideas?

Laijin

Smash Hero
OOH!! And yeah that would be great!
Weird enough hes the one i have the most trouble on against.
I have an easier time against Fox or Falco. I think i just have trouble on aggressive players which basically are Falcons for the most part. Because i'm not to good with close combat. So i should probably start working on that like you said.

And heres the thing!
I know Young Link's MU with Jiggs and Peach should be good but i can't really play against them. I'd have to switch to my Zelda. Well i mean i do win with Zelda its just that I should probably be using my Young Link against those two. A better MU. With Young Link I know Uair or Dair works good against them because killing them upwards is the best way to kill Jiggs and peach but T_____T its kind of hard if the people you are playing actually know how to use Peach and Jiggs to their extent. I kind of think its hard to camp against Jiggs and Peach. Got any ideas?
1.Aim to play them on big stages. Its easier to camp on big stages with platforms like Pokemon Stadium and Dreamland.
2.If your going in for a kill, its always easier to set it up first with a bomb. Hit them with a bomb then go in for the kill(with whatever aerial you feel is appropriate).
3. You should able to out play jiggs and peach in speed. Jiggs players love being in the air and peach players love to float around. This instantly should tell you that whatever projectile you throw at them, it WILL hit unless they air dodge. Knowing this makes camping easier :p

SSBM_Sora

The Yung God
1.Aim to play them on big stages. Its easier to camp on big stages with platforms like Pokemon Stadium and Dreamland.
2.If your going in for a kill, its always easier to set it up first with a bomb. Hit them with a bomb then go in for the kill(with whatever aerial you feel is appropriate).
3. You should able to out play jiggs and peach in speed. Jiggs players love being in the air and peach players love to float around. This instantly should tell you that whatever projectile you throw at them, it WILL hit unless they air dodge. Knowing this makes camping easier :p

Ahh!! It worked. I finally beat my friend's peach!
I did awesome teach chase and won!
I air combo/projectile juggle on dream land and pokemon stadium i air combo resulting with Uair killing him!
Thanks! XD

I've gotten really good!!

SSBM_Sora

The Yung God
Thanks!
But in actuality, it was one of my worst matches of the day >___>

Still waiting for my other matches to be uploaded from that day. lol
WORST MATCH!?!?
o____e i have to see your other ones than.
You are one of my two favorite Young Links!!
It even says so on my facebook XD
But seriously i want to play you so badly!

SSBM_Sora

The Yung God
Rhan's!!
I mean like i loves Vanz's but theres something about Rhan's that makes me like it more.
Any Young Links you like?

Top Bottom