• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Have you ever beaten a "good " MK?

NNID
MasterHavik
Just like the Snake thread. Have you guys ever beatn a "good"Mk? I mean someone that actucally knows how to use the character. I have beatn a fews and lsot badly to some. So, tell me fellas.

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
He called you ugly, memphis. Lol.

Anyways, MK is not a particularly bad match-up for me, but I haven't ever played a really great MK.

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
MK's utilt doesn't hit 3 feet either side of him and kills at like 100%, does it?
So unlike fighting Snake, I don't get *****ed over like that.
They're about the same difficulty to fight.
Never beat a good one, though I usually beat lack-lustre ones.

Move of the match-up for Sonic : Ftilt.
Srsly use it, it'll help.

UpTown

Smash Apprentice
I main Mk and have won a good number of tournaments, and consider myself good losing to only 3 players. One of these is a sonic, our matches always end in sudden death on the 3rd game of a best of 3 set. and he wins witha homing attack or such. I can't really explain what he does other than shield grab dthrow alot, hits with his bair alot also.

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
Yeah, b-air is ******** good against Metaknight. I'm kinda torn between using it as a damage builder and saving it for a kill move. Basically if you damage build with it at all you won't have enough attacks to refresh it before MK gets into killing range because of how light he is.

Tenki

Smash Hero
screw it, just use B-air for damage and mindgame a F-smash/D-smash for the kill.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
he does that so that he can use his extensive knowledge about sonic in other forums and see how they react to insider info beign spewed about sonic from someone who doesnt main him. its pretty lulzy

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
and no, there are a few ppl inmy area that play MK well, and i never beat them with sonic. ive almost stopped trying actually....
i train my lucario specifically for that matchup.

IceDX

Smash Ace
NNID
TheIceDX001
and no, there are a few ppl inmy area that play MK well, and i never beat them with sonic. ive almost stopped trying actually....
i train my lucario specifically for that matchup.
A good MK is almost impossible to beat as Sonic he has priority over almost everything u can try and it him with....the only way i c that an Mk can be beat by Sonic is by midgaming it, or if the Mk ist familiar With the Match up or hes just plain Bad , Lucario is good agaist MK Bc it outranges him i also use him to match up MK.

Pero

Smash Apprentice
yea MK are actually harder than Snake. Because Snake is tall MK isnt. And Snake's only threats are explosives, weight, and strength. MK however is his ability to spam moves, recovery, shortness,and he breaks through most of Sonic attacks except maybe fair.
But I faced 2 good MK's my friends they beat me bad. Back when I frist started back on Sonic alittle before I joined here.

Tenki

Smash Hero
On a somewhat related note, I was in a rather low-lag wifi match against a Snake main trying to use MK to beat me, and I got this awesome retaliatory N-air stage spike from under FD that I wanted to save. It also had a bunch of me shutting down up-B's with springs.

I did the R+L+A+START thing to try to get the replay cause I couldn't get the last kill before 2:59 was over, but apparently doing that doesn't let you take replays. He was at 109% and I missed the last Fsmash to 2stock when I tried to quit-save.

;__;

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
XD Don't you hate it when that happens?
One time i was Falco and my opponent was jiggly

1 stock to 1 stock
I Dair spike him at around 40% but he doesn't die. However I am about to because I FF'ed it.
So I went crap what I am going to do.
SO I hit ^B but my controller misread s it and I do a Falco Phantasm.
Right into jigglypuff who gets spiked.

It was epic winnage.

Pero

Smash Apprentice
ur stories are funny to me Tenki. But ehh yea it cant be any longer the 2mins or so to record on the Wii...sadly i had some awsome 4min matches that cant record because of it but i digress...sigh ._.;...

Tenki

Smash Hero
it's 3 minutes.

but apparently, if you do the 'quit' action online, it sends you straight to the online menu instead of going to the "hay sup, wanna save the match?" page.

I should have just suicided the rest of the match lol

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
you can't attack him from the sky, you can't attack him in the air, you can't wait for him to make a mistake because his moves don't lag... MK pwns Sonic for the most part.

I've beaten a sub-par MK with my Sonic, and even that was a chore. Only reason why I won was because my timing was better. Almost everything MK does beats Sonic, it's such an unfair battle.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
you have to change up your entire playstyle for this matchup...
if he tries to f-air, since they know it outprioritises everything sonic has... you have to forward tilt
if he tries to down tilt for the trip, foward tilt
if you want to punish down smash, forward tilt
if you want to outrange his forward smash, forward tilt

its really the only move that works against him, and i think he can grab it after he blocks it, its so stupid. theres not much else to do youll have to forward tilt more than MK downsmashes in this matchup, and thats a truckload

NNID
MasterHavik
MK is a monster for Sonic players. But I wonder how top sonics handle someone like MK. And when I just get own by MK, I just go to kirby and beat the crap out of him with the pinkman.

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
Yeah. I wish Sonic's f-smash had more range :<
It would make this match up so much easier. You're gonna be diminishing the shit out of your f-tilt you can count on that.

Tenki

Smash Hero
btw, if you go under the ledge, and an MK is spamming D-air or something trying to gimp you while both of you are falling, double jump+N-air into him during the gap between his attacks and it should knock him into the stage.

yea well I wish I coulda saw it. But have you ever beat a good MK Tenki?
Yes. It's a pain, but you definitely want to:

- Grab more and go into techchase+punishment mode as much as possible.
- Pshield. It saves lives. And sets up for more grabs.
- Reverse stutterstep when he's going for grabs, dash attack, and sometimes, glide attack.
- Know when your moves outprioritize his and take advantage of it.
- Use spring more. It stops his up-B, tornado, F-air, whatever.

JayBee

Smash Champion
NNID
jamesbrownjrva
thx.....pal!

there was one point where godismyrock constantly spammed Tornado because he thought Sonic could do nothing. i tried to fair it but no dice. next time, im going spring happy. I know I can beat his meta, but this ******* just proves how gay brawl can be sometimes.

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
Yeah just drop a spring on his noggin. Or just outrun the tornado and punish his ending lag.

Pero

Smash Apprentice
Thats the thing MK has such little lagg its kind of fun to fight him and win I beat a MK a few moments ago 2 times my friend. hes...pretty good. But all our matches were like 8 he won the rest lol.

MY 100th POST :sonic: IS FLIPPIN SWEET...oka Im done.

Tenki

Smash Hero
lol Tornado spam is the LEAST of Sonic's problems in the MK matchup. Really.

CaliburChamp

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-6575-2504
MK is not such a bad matchup for Sonic. Although I never beat a good MK. I came close to beating a great MK with Sonic, we both had 1 stock left at high damage. Its just that MK can KO better with priority and his super quick attacks and MK's downsmash hits on both sides of him. Then he gave me props for being good with Sonic. Makes me want to play him more against really good people since not many people know how to fight against Sonic.

Tenki

Smash Hero
Learn the Pshield approach.

first off, learn the range for his tilts, smashes, f-air, etc.

When you're running or walking at him, tap shield right before you enter his range. Sonic has a crazy shield slide range, and at the same time, your shield will be tilted forward. Powershield works when an enemy attack box is INSIDE your shield bubble at the same time you activate the shield.

This way, if your opponent is trying to create a 'brick wall' and tries to 'tip' you with the attacks, you can just pshield and punish, since it gives you no shield lag. Just keep in mind that you want to hold it a little longer when you're up against multiple hit moves like F-air. But it puts you in a great position to grab or tilt him.

If he gets smart, he can counter this strategy with a grab, and you'll have to adjust accordingly.

you can also use this in combination with side-B feints to test his reaction and change your playstyle depending on whether he's moving backwards (defensive player, in control), trying to attack you (aggressive), or dodging (defensive player, pressured)

@Calibur:
What makes MK a bad matchup for Sonic is that he has little punishability. Sonic thrives on openings and they're much harder to find on Metaknight.

Top Bottom