• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Has anyone ever attempted to adapt between Zelda and Sheik?

Skyson

Smash Ace
Honestly. I toyed around with the idea. I main Sheik, but have a load more fun using Zelda. I started a match with Sheik, took out a stock, then transformed into Zelda.

I switched from Sheik to Zelda or vice-versa every time I lost a stock or took a stock out. It wasn't really that hard to do, and I could tell it became harder for my opponent to predict me because Zelda and Sheik play just a bit differently.

All I ever see are Sheik players who could care less about Zelda outside of her recovery, or Zelda players who may have, but never care to, venture into playing Sheik.

It's not illegal or anything to swap between the two in a tournament match, is it? They're two movesets set to one character. Nobody does it, but has anyone ever tried fluently moving between Zelda and Sheik? Just curious.

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
I've tried to, but my Sheik is awful so I just stay Zelda. Unless I'm screwing around and my opponent sucks.

bladeofapollo

Smash Ace
The main reason is because Zelda is not very competitive in tournament play. I know because I've tried... a lot. Sheik is just an all around better character, so people use her more. On the other hand, I still use Zelda every now and then. Mainly for fighting Jiggz, because Zelda eats Jiggz. Zelda can't be Utilt --> Rested AT ALL, Sheik can to very high percents.

Most people who stick w/ Sheik do so because they like her style and enjoy the character advantage in tournaments. Most people who stick w/ Zelda do are trying to prove something or simply feel like sticking to a character they enjoy plaing a LOT, even if it comes at a huge disadvantage. There's not much reason to do both. Personally, my Sheik sucks... so I play Zelda over Sheik ;)

Zone

Smash Champion
You don't really get anything out of changing alot besides the satisfaction of having fun and messing around.

Most likely you doing one of a few things.

1.) Trying to win?
a.) If you're really going for the win, say money is on the line or something. Unless you agreed to play ONLY zelda. Shiek is probably your better choice for this unless your Zelda rocks socks and you never touch shiek

b.) Changing to mess up your opponent only works on probably the average player who has zero experience fighting Zelda and can't shffl extremely well. Otherwise You really just need to apply the same combos to zelda as you would PEach kinda.

2.)Playing for Fun
a.) Maybe they stick to shiek cuz they just enjoy playing shiek, and not zelda. Or vice Versa

b.) Play Zelda regardless of stakes because you just enjoy trying to beat a high tier with a low tier character.

No real reason to change between the two. Unless you just enjoy switching. Tactical wise it doesn't help you really.

HideousBeing

Smash Ace
The only reason I might switch mid match is if I have knocked someone far, who can still recover, and the other aspect would better edgeguard this recovery. Of course, I would have to have time to transform than follow for the edgeguard. Very conditional and I doubt it would ever happen. I don't ever think of transforming anyway in the middle of a match.

If I'm playing Sheik though, (mine's horrible) I will transform to Zelda to make a recovery attempt when Sheik wouldn't otherwise make it. Eventually though, in highest levels of play, it's a dumb decision, because Zelda's recovery is so horrible that your opponent should always be able to throw you back off. What's to lose? Well, I'd rather spawn as Sheik than Zelda, who can much better take advantage of her invulnerability.

Ja

Smash Journeyman
My friend does this a lot. His Zelda is better than his Sheik but since I main Marth his Sheik is still good enough. It does throw off spacing, especially when he changes when we each have one life left.

Darkmusician

Smash Master
Captain Jack's Sheik is so good. The fact that his Zelda owns too is almost unfair. lolz =w= He's one of the few that could pull off both for sure.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Ryoko played as both if I remember rightly.

Zone

Smash Champion
Are we talking about being able to play both? or playing both switching consistently in one match? Because I can play both >.> I just don't switch with both more than maybe once.

Pikaville

Pikaville returns 10 years later.
Well when Im playing Marth (sometimes others)I usually change to Zelda when I get him off the edge.Just for the down smash or Dins fire f air combo as they recover.

Darkmusician

Smash Master
I'd probably stay Sheik all the way against a Marth...if I was a Sheik user.

And as far as switching between the two, Sheik is just the better character. Faster, combos, grabs to d-throw to whatever. It's just the more logical choice if you like to win. T_T I hope they are seperated in brawl though.

Darkmusician

Smash Master
Azen is The Master of Diversity. He uses all characters at a very high level. That's why he's my hero. <3 Azen!!! It's a pity that aren't that many vids of Azen using his more obscure characters.

And yeah there should be some vids of CJs zelda vs like Joanna Dark and stuff on the tube of you.

S2

Smash Lord
The most important thing if you do this is that you can play both. Being able to play Zelda is the more important of the two, since Sheik is just all-around a better character, and if you don't know what your doing as Zelda you might as well just give up.

There might actually be a few times when turning into Zelda (if your a Sheik player) is optimal. I've found that fighting good IC opponents as Sheik is extremely difficult because of the way that Sheik gets stuck in grabs.

Zelda, while slower, has some good moves for seperating the IC, so sometimes that's a good choice. Plus, her F-air/B-air works wonders - both for KOing and for seperating.

This is assuming that you know how to play a decent tourney Zelda in the 1st place.

Darkmusician

Smash Master
The most important thing if you do this is that you can play both. Being able to play Zelda is the more important of the two, since Sheik is just all-around a better character, and if you don't know what your doing as Zelda you might as well just give up.

There might actually be a few times when turning into Zelda (if your a Sheik player) is optimal. I've found that fighting good IC opponents as Sheik is extremely difficult because of the way that Sheik gets stuck in grabs.

Zelda, while slower, has some good moves for seperating the IC, so sometimes that's a good choice. Plus, her F-air/B-air works wonders - both for KOing and for seperating.

This is assuming that you know how to play a decent tourney Zelda in the 1st place.
Yep. There are some good CJ vs Kei videos out there that show CJ going Zelda on both ICs then changing to Sheik when Nana is gone. Best example fo sho.

Zelda Master

Smash Journeyman
I used to start with Sheik, and get some high damage on the opponent. Then, I'd change to Zelda and do a lightning kick. *One of my main finishes* Then I would stick with Zelda and switch off a lot.

S2

Smash Lord
It should also be mentioned... if you start out as Sheik and switch to Zelda, it gives opponents something think about.

As in, if you KO'd them 1st life, then swapped to Zelda, they'll probably think you're toying with them. This'll work if you switch back into Sheik after a Zelda kill or even mid-match. The second you start swapping back and forth is the moment you're opponent will start thinking you aren't taking the match seriously (even if you are).

Playing against Zelda and playing against Sheik can be very different for some characters. When you switch, your opponent has to switch strategies too. This can be used in your favor.

Of course, you need to be able to play Zelda well and smart. If you suck with her, all your opponent is going to do is get a big smile on his face because he assumes its free damage/kills.

When I mentioned that a lot of people with think your toying with them if you swap to Zelda. At the same time they are probably going to assume its easier to take your Zelda down because she's lower on the tier list. A lot of tourny level players only play against the upper tiers. The simple lack of practice against a mid or lower tier character can be used to your advantage. If you have a godly Zelda and the opponent assumes your going to be weaker cause you aren't Sheik anymore... well he's in a lot of trouble. Especially if he doesn't have practice against fighting Zeldas. Even if its a matchup he should win, he might not even know what to do against certain Zelda strats.

I wouldn't try this type of thing on very high-ranked players though. Unless of course your're really good and confident in both Sheik/Zelda. Your average tournament player will probably fall for this stuff. But someone whos really really good probably knows what to do against Zelda. Don't switch into Zelda unless you absolutely know what you're doing (your not only good with her, but you got actual character matchup strategies - like vs. IC). Switching to Zelda against someone who's much better than you "just because" is a bad idea. If you can't beat an opponent as Sheik and its not a matchup that's specifically bad for Sheik, then you're Zelda probably won't fair much better.

Although Sheik is better most of the time, there are situations where you want to be Zelda (assuming you play her well). Judge the situation and your opponents skill before switching. A Zelda swap will either work heavily in your favor (opponent doesn't know how to fight her and you overwelm him with your skillz) or it'll backfire.

SeventhSage

Smash Apprentice
I like both characters. Sheik fits my game style and imo she is awesome in every way. Zelda is really fun to play and her fair/bair kick serious ***. Some matches I switch between the two, some matches I don't.

S2

Smash Lord
Its kind of sad...

against IC is really the only matchup where its a strategic advantage to swap back and forth (Zelda when both are alive, Sheik when there is only 1).

Its still fun though.

I really hope that in Brawl the time it takes to swap is shortened. It should be near instant, otherwise it undoes the idea of being able to swap back and forth and make it useful.

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
So there was this tournament in Rochester over the weekend. Umbreonmow won 1st in teams by playing Zelda/Sheik. The first set he played Zelda, and stayed on the stage and messed ppl up. He even ZTD'D PC on the fin in corneria lol. Then, later on, he switched to Sheik which worked very well, due to how bad Sheik ***** Fox's recovery. The videos should be out soon, and you guys will see how awesome his Zelda is.

TheLake

Smash Master
Hooray more rare footage of the nations best zelda! (for now that is...)

I dont think ive ever seen mow's zelda in teams before...

D

Deleted member

I played blue and kicked a lot. I don't think anyone is surprised really.

TheLake

Smash Master
Blue zelda?!
More like the ONLY zelda (: (besides green, red and white of course)

Awwww yeah

Epok

Smash Ace
Actually Zelda/Shiek is my main I think I do quite well. But in my case for a while I mained Shiek, the started playing zelda for fun and really started to like her. Then just figured why not play them together. So then I just spent a long time just beefing up my zelda skills, and then I just integrated them together. I plan on doing this is Brawl too because zelda is way better now.

Let's see what you think. Im not the best smash player but I do alright.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=6xYr96rmvwM

TheLake

Smash Master
That ganon aint so tight but then again its not suprising to see wisdom trump power ^_^...But that shiz was awsome Epok i loved watching that match. Dont dash too much with zelda and dont be afraid to pursue upthrows with Uairs (the damage aint great but it keeps you safe and zelda can use all she can). Ganons and falcons cant sweetspot so take advantage of this with down smash. It *****.

All in all sweet tag.

ZeldaDestiny

Smash Rookie
I main Zelda BUT I 4X4 matches I start with Zelda and usally finish as shiek..ALso Zelda sucks against herself and shiek, as well as Captain Falcon in the hands of a VERY good player, Shiek on the other hand is very good against herself, and Is also near full proof against A high level Falcon as long as you know how to "Monkeyslap"

Zone

Smash Champion
I main Zelda BUT I 4X4 matches I start with Zelda and usally finish as shiek..ALso Zelda sucks against herself and shiek, as well as Captain Falcon in the hands of a VERY good player, Shiek on the other hand is very good against herself, and Is also near full proof against A high level Falcon as long as you know how to "Monkeyslap"
Huh?

Everyone is dead even with themselves because they both have the exact same options. No one pwns themselves >.>; unless you mean pro vs newb or something.

Top Bottom