• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Hardcore" training with Sonic

D1RE

Smash Cadet
I fianlly, somehow, convinced my friend to let me borrow his Wii and SSBB, so now I'm going to start training (not just playing, but purposely training) with Sonic in order to get better.

So what I need help with is basicly these three things:

1: I need to know what to specifically train on. (I'm not very skilled technically yet, so I need to know what I can shieldcancel and what combos I need to practise)

2: I need to know if there is any attacks that I should train on using in specific situations.

3: I need to know what all the technical terms mean. :p (I.e. dair, fair...)

Thanks in advance, D1RE.

aeghrur

Smash Champion
Okay, um, terms meanings are pretty basic.
d-air, dair, w/e just means down-air. Like you're in the air and press down-a
f-air, forward air
b-air, back air
n-air, neutral air(just a)
u-air, up air. etc.
You should definitely practice learning to cancel with d-air as it'll help cancel the lag in those situations you want to use it. However, don't abuse it as it is punishable even with the canceled lag. Anyways, the other terms should be defined in the guides like spinshot, ASC, etc.

darkNES386

Smash Lord
So what I need help with is basicly these three things:

1: I need to know what to specifically train on. (I'm not very skilled technically yet, so I need to know what I can shieldcancel and what combos I need to practise)

2: I need to know if there is any attacks that I should train on using in specific situations.

3: I need to know what all the technical terms mean. :p (I.e. dair, fair...)

Thanks in advance, D1RE.
1: Don't worry too much about combos, your biggest challenge will be to string together successful approaches to your opponent. Just keep your mind open and experiment. You learn best from trial and error.

2: Become very friendly with all of your moves. Tilts, aerials, smash attacks. Avoid spamming at all cost.

3: Just say the direction (front, down, back, Up) followed by the type of attack (Smash,Tilt, B (for special)

Welcome to the Sonic Boards. There are many useful threads here as mentioned above. Sonic has lots of stuff that you can know how to do, but it's really up to you to discover for yourself how and when to apply it.

One piece of advice: Use the Gamecube/virtual console controller and learn to use your aerials with the c-stick.

Napilopez

Smash Lord
Although there is a general consensus that the GC/VC controller are the best controllers, I would suggest you at least try the WiiChuck set-up, as it has its own advantages. If you played melee however, and wanna become good in brawl quickly, then I would discourage what I previously said, as it would take quite a bit of acclimation for the WiiChuck set-up

Just use whatever you are most comfortable and fits you the best. I've played Smash since the original, although not competitively, and I find I am a much better player with the WiiChuck than with the gamecube contorller because it fits my playstyle better. It has its advantages such as very minimal finger movement compared to the GC/VC setups. Its not to say that its better than the latter, but it has its own strengths.

As for Sonic, pretty much all has been said before. Start learning the basics, don't spam moves. Get a good feel for the character before you start worrying about all the ATs and such: Sonic is a very unique character who you need to dedicate alot of time and practice if you want to be successful with him. He truly has a high learning curve, but definitely not impossible to overcome. Don't give up when you find yourself owned by other chars initially.

Sonic for the low tier win.

Greenstreet

Smash Champion
go online. verse anyone every chance you get. develop your own playstyle. be awesome

D1RE

Smash Cadet
Thanks for all the help guys. I've watched quite a few sonic matches at youtube (everything I could find) and I know the basics about Sonic as I've been reading intensively on the Sonic board here. I am starting to get familiar with my moves and since I played melee quite a lot I'm too used to the GC controller.

I feel that I've mastered the very basics so what I needed was to know what combos that are good to use. I'm usually able to outwit my opponent when it coems to aproaching him, and so I'm also usually able to get the first hit, meaning that I need to know what to follow up with.

Again, thanks in advance.
-D1RE

Tenki

Smash Hero
Thanks for all the help guys. I've watched quite a few sonic matches at youtube (everything I could find) and I know the basics about Sonic as I've been reading intensively on the Sonic board here. I am starting to get familiar with my moves and since I played melee quite a lot I'm too used to the GC controller.

I feel that I've mastered the very basics so what I needed was to know what combos that are good to use. I'm usually able to outwit my opponent when it coems to aproaching him, and so I'm also usually able to get the first hit, meaning that I need to know what to follow up with.

Again, thanks in advance.
-D1RE
Spindash > anything
ASC double hit > anything
falling spring > D-air> anything

60%+ U-air>spring>anything

blahblah there are lots of true combos that Sonic has, and even more juggles, keep in mind that in Brawl pretty much every aerial juggle is airdodgeably, so you'll have to mindgame and/or just keep airdodges in mind.

What you need to work on is chasing your opponent's movements (especially landings) avoiding/shielding their anti-approach and grabbing them, or catching them with an aerial or spindash combo

Grabbing gives you the most control, so work on grabbing more.

`.`; if you can outwit and read your opponent, then surely, you can make use of Sonic's speed to make it possible.

D1RE

Smash Cadet
My friend whom I usually play with is pretty hard to grab, he has an offensive defense, if you know what I mean. On the other hand, after I started using Spin Dash for approaching and mindgames I immediately gained the upper hand and was able to do nearly anything. I also found the ASC pretty effective and since he lvoes to use his up-b with Wolf, he's also easy to start juggling when I get to him fast enough.

I will continue to work on my ASC/Spin Dash since I feel that I got a pretty good grasp on the spring + dair combo.

Again, thanks.
-D1RE

Orange_Soda_Man

Smash Ace
dunno if you do this already or not, but you really should be using shield + a for grabbing. dashing with the hope to land a Z has hurt me pretty bad in the past.

Lightspeed is a good vid, as well as a bunch of other ones.
spinshotting is really useful for me.
Learning the properties of homing attack will help.
to the uninformed, a charging down smash looks very similar to a charging down b or a charging side b.
And yeah there's a ton of sweet stuff here; just looking around should help a ton.

D1RE

Smash Cadet
Orange_Soda_Man said:
dunno if you do this already or not, but you really should be using shield + a for grabbing. dashing with the hope to land a Z has hurt me pretty bad in the past.
Could you please explain what you mean with sield + a?

Umby

Smash Master
Could you please explain what you mean with sield + a?
When you dash grab regularly just by running and grabbing, you get a laggy ending animation if the grab missed. However, if you cancel out your dash with shield, then press A really quickly, you get the regular grab animation, meaning less lag if you miss.

Boxob

Smash Champion
Or me.

I'm more knowledgeable about this game and Sonic specifically than most other people in this forum.

Because all I do is analyze video games.

Because I have no life.

Rofl.

:093:

Greenstreet

Smash Champion
Or me.

I'm kidding, look at all the other people who are willing to help.
You don't need me.

10 Sonics......
20 Sonics.....

D1RE

Smash Cadet
I really appreciate all the help. What's frustrating me the most at the moment is that I always end up dying when I try to spike people outside the stage. Yeah, and I ran into a new term today, DI I think it was called, can anyone explain?

Again, thanks for all the help and support.

R4ZE

Smash Ace
you know..... you shouldnt just cancel your dash with sheild... and then grab

YOU need to cancel your dash with side b, cancel side b with sheild, and then grab.

i know in text that sounds like its longer, but it actually happens faster.

Top Bottom