• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ha Ha Ha! The Wario Social

Agi

Smash Lord
@ Strong Badam Strong Badam : Any footage yet? I'm really curious to see what else people are figuring out with 3.5. Every Wario I've seen is so different.

Last edited:

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer

Child Star

Smash Ace
That second match of grand finals had really high moments, it makes me want to get really good at bite. Commentary wasnt for me though.

Agi

Smash Lord
Here ya go!
Oh my god the footstool combos against that ROB. I haven't watched them all yet, need to sleep, but this is the Wario play I've been looking for.

EDIT: Fhoo, that was a rough Grand Finals. Mistakes were made. Really great play throughout though, I like the utilization of the SB cancel and... -use- of UTilt. Coverage option? Looked like you were dropping a lot of regrab opportunities on poor DI off of bite - I'm not sure if that's because it's actually escapable and I never knew or you just wanted to mix it up. Definitely taught me how to patch up the rough spots in my own play, like the DTilt -> FAir (where I keep on smacking myself for going for FSmash, even at low %s), and just fun to watch overall. Thanks for linking them.

also that jank Dedede kill with the corkscrew, it's gotta be clanking hitboxes doing something weird. I KNEW there was something to that.

Last edited:

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Definitely got a lot to improve, there's no doubt there, but I feel like my play at that tournament rivaled my play at SKTAR 3, which I'm happy about. I finally found a few ways to improve my consistency, now it's just raising my peak play. All these lil things during interactions I gotta watch out for. It's exciting :3

Mookiefish

Smash Cadet
Any advice against spacies in general? I know the basic plan is to get them off stage and ledge hog/spike with down smash, but I have know idea how to deal with them in the neutral game. Also if anybody is going to be at Smash The Score tomorrow in Murfreesboro, TN, I'll see you there :D

Child Star

Smash Ace
Good luck broski! Fill us in on how you do and sterf, and hopefully you'll have some vids of your performance.
Lost in losers semis to a G&W, I learned a lot from a link player there, my bite game is a lot stronger now. Next tourney tomorrow, hopefully it will be streamed!

Agi

Smash Lord
Any advice against spacies in general? I know the basic plan is to get them off stage and ledge hog/spike with down smash, but I have know idea how to deal with them in the neutral game. Also if anybody is going to be at Smash The Score tomorrow in Murfreesboro, TN, I'll see you there :D
Use your UThrow if you get a grab and aren't going for a cheese BThrow offstage -> Shoulder Bash. (Which is still an option once or twice for a free kill before they figure it out, wouldn't recommend abusing it though.) UThrow is a chaingrab similar to Marth's on fastfallers. USmash is similar, bad DI will find them falling into a good number of them. Obvious Fox rules apply, we're floaty so the USmash kills quickly. Watch for it at ~90%, I've had a number of foxes get tunnel vision there and keep trying to Hail Mary it. But yeah, UThrow goes into a lot of things on spacies, like Bite, Waft, NAir, FAir, UAir, you name it. They're also vulnerable to DThrow if you're good at the techchase there... NAir is great against shield pressure too, sends em at a great angle for you to edgeguard.

We're really, really vulnerable to spacies' stuff if they get it going though. I'd recommend going for ledgesnaps with Side-B for recovery when possible to avoid getting shined. I have no idea how to break out of pillaring.

Mr.Pickle

Smash Lord
Lost to a gdubs huh, honestly I'm not surprised. That's an extremely annoying matchup, and you have to play it very patiently. It's pretty easy to lose your head in that one. Losers semis isn't bad man, but we'll see how your tourney tomorrow goes.

Also @ Mookiefish Mookiefish , I'll teach you what I know about the matchup in person when I get to the score, and btw I use that pic for my skype so good stuff duder.

Mookiefish

Smash Cadet
Use your UThrow if you get a grab and aren't going for a cheese BThrow offstage -> Shoulder Bash. (Which is still an option once or twice for a free kill before they figure it out, wouldn't recommend abusing it though.) UThrow is a chaingrab similar to Marth's on fastfallers. USmash is similar, bad DI will find them falling into a good number of them. Obvious Fox rules apply, we're floaty so the USmash kills quickly. Watch for it at ~90%, I've had a number of foxes get tunnel vision there and keep trying to Hail Mary it. But yeah, UThrow goes into a lot of things on spacies, like Bite, Waft, NAir, FAir, UAir, you name it. They're also vulnerable to DThrow if you're good at the techchase there... NAir is great against shield pressure too, sends em at a great angle for you to edgeguard.

We're really, really vulnerable to spacies' stuff if they get it going though. I'd recommend going for ledgesnaps with Side-B for recovery when possible to avoid getting shined. I have no idea how to break out of pillaring.

Thanks for the advice! More often then not I find myself using Dthrow (habit from playing Falcon for about a week) and then following up with dash attack or a DACUS. Maybe I'll hop in training mode and spend a bit of time trying to chain grab. I almost never up throw though, so I'll have to give that a try next time.

@ Mr.Pickle Mr.Pickle Awesome man I'll see you there!

Mookiefish

Smash Cadet
Also out of curiosity, what are everybody's controller configs? I use tap jump off with y bound to footstool mainly because I feel like DACUSing is easier without tap jump.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Falco is much easier than the other two for Wario. Fox/Wolf DD/laser game kinda shuts down Wario on a fundamental level, whereas Falco's lasers can eventually be traversed with PS/aerial mobility and he's not as good at resetting position after being cornered.
You pretty much need to nair/fair them for a while early on unless you get an early grab. Knockdowns are really important in the MU because they can CC most of your other moves. Dsmash is helpful for techchasing. Definitely work them U-Throw combos when you get them, make them count since they won't come often against someone who doesn't suck. If you don't already use Up-Throw a lot you're kinda behind; it's his best throw against like half of the cast.

I personally do not use Wario against Fox, and probably wouldn't against a high level Wolf either, but that's my take.

Last edited:

Agi

Smash Lord
@ Mookiefish Mookiefish Same, though I have tap jump on. The flow from ground to a vertical chase just feels better with tapping up for me. Sometimes. I dunno, depends on the flow of things, I just like the option and it doesn't screw me up. Trying to integrate footstools for flashiness reasons, my Wario has been really lame in tournies, which I dislike.

Mookiefish

Smash Cadet
Falco is much easier than the other two for Wario. Fox/Wolf DD/laser game kinda shuts down Wario on a fundamental level, whereas Falco's lasers can eventually be traversed with PS/aerial mobility and he's not as good at resetting position after being cornered.
You pretty much need to nair/fair them for a while early on unless you get an early grab. Knockdowns are really important in the MU because they can CC most of your other moves. Dsmash is helpful for techchasing. Definitely work them U-Throw combos when you get them, make them count since they won't come often against someone who doesn't suck. If you don't already use Up-Throw a lot you're kinda behind; it's his best throw against like half of the cast.

I personally do not use Wario against Fox, and probably wouldn't against a high level Wolf either, but that's my take.
Thanks for the advice! I'll definitely incorporate more upthrows into my game for sure. I've only been playing for 1 1/2 months so I still have a lot to learn. I'll go scour the matchups thread for more info and potential secondary pick ideas.

Mr.Pickle

Smash Lord
Strong bad covered the spacie matchup fairly well, but personally I disagree about wolf being harder than falco. I find him the easiest of the spacies, but I have a lot of wolf experience, still have trouble with falco, to a lesser extent fox but that one feels alright. Uthrow is pretty much the name of the game, so early percents you need lots of grabs.

Controller scheme wise, R set to grab, I use it to l cancel and I find it a more satisfying button to use than z. Z is set to attack, gives some use to the z button and I don't have to use an awkward claw motion for dacus. X is set to footstool, I don't use x for anything else.

Last edited:

Agi

Smash Lord
Whew, fought my way up through Losers to reset the bracket and get 2nd in our monthly. 9 games in a row against a highly technical Fox is stressful. Should have footage in a few days, had some nice moments. I'm just glad I won my grudge matches.

http://challonge.com/wsufallpm

Last edited:

Child Star

Smash Ace
Good luck broski! Fill us in on how you do and sterf, and hopefully you'll have some vids of your performance.
Finished 4th at today's tourney as well. There was a stream so whenever VODs go up ill link them here. Streamed matched werent good, so theres a lot to critique.

http://www.twitch.tv/chaseandreid/b/596594722 [Wario vs Wario] Please take headphones off weird sound loops on stream.

Last edited:

Turazrok

Smash Master
I haven't entered in so long
My next tournament will probably be wintercon in LA. Here's hoping I bop Denti ( esp if he name searches this )

Mookiefish

Smash Cadet
My room mate and main practice partner chose to main Ganondorf after the Lucas nerfs and I go on tilt so easily against him that I can't help but rage. I feel like I have to play perfectly to beat him. Any advice on approaching? It's so frustrating!

Turazrok

Smash Master
Don't know why you're choosing to approach ganon if you're not behind. Focus on baiting out stuff that isn't his jab and punish with a focus to get him offstage. If you do have to approach I suggest trying to fake an aerial and fade back to bait something, then move in. Personal favorite is full hop to Dj backwards dair

Mr.Pickle

Smash Lord
Pherk work serks! Dealing with retail during the holidays is hellish, so yeah lol so much for posting after the tourney. Got 5th at the score, kinda disappointed honestly, but meh, it's a respectable placing I guess. I almost beat the luigi player from memphis I've been struggling against recently, but I got a little impatient the last stock and let it slip away. I tried a secondary last game, but it was a bad idea. I realized very quickly that I'm not comfortable with anyone but wario in a tournament setting, so I got bopped. Sorry I couldn't get any games with you Mookiefish, I was kinda busy with helping KO run the tournament. Running 3 games is pretty ridiculous lol.

Last edited:

GuruKid

Smash Ace
I'll be heading over to Xanadu on the 30th with Gallo, Frozen and Emukiller (and likely more NY/NJ peeps) for Project M. Hoping I don't do too terribly for my Wario debut lol. I'm excited to finally use him in tournament.

Mr.Pickle

Smash Lord
Yeah poor KO has to bear the brunt of all the responsibilities of tournament stuff in TN, and he doesn't handle it the best, though who does honestly.

Went to a tourney this weekend, I finally beat KO in tournament, put that mug in losers with a clean 2-0. I then went on to winners finals and I was up 2 to 1 on Iori, but he came back on me with the Iori factor. Then I played KO again, close set and I took him to game 5, but he got some hella momentum and was about to 4 stock me. I kicked into high gear though and almost came back after a crazy stage tech, the pickle special, but it wasn't enough. I wanted that first place, but not this time, I'll get it one day though.

Mookiefish

Smash Cadet
I just got back from a monthly in Huntsville. There were only like 6 PM entrants, but they were all pretty good. JOOT and Cynic are just a couple that I can remember. I know JOOT was at The Score. I remember seeing him do winning things.

Ogopogo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3797-6544-0935
I've decided to pick up Wario as a secondary. If I can make it to the Score tomorrow I'd love to play any of you Wario players (if you're there that is).

SpaceGhostC2C

Smash Rookie
Does anyone else try to get Wario underneath and onto the other side of stages every now-and-then? I've been able to do it on Battlefield once and have been trying to do it on FD.

Mookiefish

Smash Cadet
@ SpaceGhostC2C SpaceGhostC2C I never thought that he would even be able to do that. Now I have something to do when I get home!

Also what is the general opinion about Wario in doubles? I heard he just sucks as a team mate.

Mr.Pickle

Smash Lord
I don't think it's that useful. There's too much risk for an easy edge guard, and you'll have to burn too many resources to do it.

I've never done too great with wario in doubles, idk maybe I just suck with him in doubles. I always go mario.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Wario is a good team mate. His biggest weakness (difficulty approaching) is less prevalent because of the urgency of teams. While he still gets outranged by some chars (mostly swordies) he can usually hang and provide great pressure with Chomp and surprise Wafts. He's also very durable when characters can't edgeguard loop him.

Last edited:

0RLY

A great conversation filler at bars and parties
I really like Wario in doubles. His dacus is amazing for a quick assist for your partner. Wario has a great offstage game and compliments well with characters with strong stage control. Your throws are also fantastic in doubles. Dthrow has consistently low knockback for the wombos. Fthrow can hold your opponent still for a moment if you need to bide time, such as when your teammate is comboing the opponent and you want to time your throw so that you can snipe the other opponent out of the air, or quickly get them out of your hands in case you need to help your teammate. Bthrow can shake off the other opponent trying to assist their teammate, giving your teammate time to adjust. Bite has a long-lasting grab box and it's knockback is consistently low, allowing for extremely easy wombos. Double Warios can share their meal indefinitely.

Agi

Smash Lord
I agree, could really do with more organization in general. Heck, there's not even a Skype group yet.

Turazrok

Smash Master
Do we even have a mod for this board? I'll ****ing do it christ it's got thread bloat. Also yes on the skype group.

Mr.Pickle

Smash Lord
We kinda do, I think reflex is a mod, but he's so busy with real life stuff recently that he usually doesn't have time for smashboards stuff unfortunately. I'd love a skype a group btw.

Top Bottom