• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ha Ha Ha! The Wario Social

Mr.Pickle

Smash Lord
Hey all you wario players out there, figured we'd need a place to just hang back talk about junk. It doesn't have to be about anything in particular, just as long as something involves wario at some point. I'm thinking about posting my experience from CEO, which was 2 weeks ago, but it will take a while to gather my thoughts. So feel free to pop in and talk about whatever.

Oh and shoutouts @Sapphire Dragon for pointing out we didn't have a social already, lol I can't believe we haven't had one yet :laugh:

Last edited:

CyberZixx

Smash Lord
These boards are not as active as some of the other characters. Which is unfortunate because as we know, "Wario numba 1"

adPEXtwinDoNG

Smash Cadet
Guys my Falcon main brother keeps bragging that his character has a jet instead of a bike. What do?

Zwarm

Smash Hero
Seesaw (SixSaw) and I played round 1 in tournament today, Wario ditto videos will follow, most likely tomorrow or friday

Cuban Pete

King of the Rumba Beat
Update on the tournament: got knocked down into losers bracket first round and then knocked out of tournament right after that. I've got a long way to go.

CyberZixx

Smash Lord
Playing in tournament is hard. I'm not good with that pressure. What characters did you face?

Mr.Pickle

Smash Lord
Ah shiz man that sounds rough, but it was your first tournament so don't sweat it too much. Just give it some time, and pretty soon you'll be boppin peeps left and right. It took me forever to able to deal with tournament pressure, you just have to keep at it

0RLY

A great conversation filler at bars and parties
I swear, tournament pressure affects Wario more than anyone. My Wario slows to a crawl. Like. Slower than your mom on the way to the gym /jk i love ur mom/ :warioc: wah

If I'm in the zone though, like, as soon as I feel the momentum in my favor - BAM! It's like you're playing against the grandmaster of poker and all you can do is fold.

I received some good advice the last tournament I was at. Don't play the game or the character. Play your opponent. Make predictions. Make reactions. Get in their head! If you're still "playing" your character, then you've still got a lot of training to do. Also, after every stock, whisper into your opponent's ear, "wah" :warioc: It's a trollish way of getting them to think Wario is the problem instead of you, which allows you to play with their head more without explicitly showing your intentions. For contrast, the explicit way would be to comment on how broken Wario is (he's not).

Cuban Pete

King of the Rumba Beat
Playing in tournament is hard. I'm not good with that pressure. What characters did you face?
Meta Knight and DK in that order. I couldn't do a thing against the meta knight to save my life.

Also, after every stock, whisper into your opponent's ear, "wah" :warioc:
this made me laugh. Don't know if you were serious though.

Ah shiz man that sounds rough, but it was your first tournament so don't sweat it too much. Just give it some time, and pretty soon you'll be boppin peeps left and right. It took me forever to able to deal with tournament pressure, you just have to keep at it
It probably doesn't really help that I don't have much experience playing the game in general yet either :p

Last edited:

Coney

Smash Master
MK is/can be hard, DK not so much (use bite a lot)

if its your first tournament tho dont expect anything at all, just play and have fun, a lot of this game is experience

I received some good advice the last tournament I was at. Don't play the game or the character. Play your opponent. Make predictions. Make reactions. Get in their head! If you're still "playing" your character, then you've still got a lot of training to do.
this could not be wronger

you play the matchup first. reads, momentum and mentality shifts are always secondary to actually playing the game in front of you

reads are unreliable

Last edited:

cparks1000000

Smash Rookie
this could not be wronger

you play the matchup first. reads, momentum and mentality shifts are always secondary to actually playing the game in front of you

reads are unreliable
I believe what ORLy meant is that if you're having to take time to think about how to execute moves properly instead of thinking about the options your opponent has, then you're making a mistake. I do agree with what you are saying; however, I have rarely seen a high-level match where the winner did not adjust to his or her opponent and make some reads.

Coney

Smash Master
ofc there are no high-level matches without reads

because they are high-level and that means both players have a

most players are not high-level

trust me i'm a read-based player and i suck because of it

reaction speed and actually playing the matchup is way more important than subjectively "reading" what the opponent will do, it's basically a guess that gets less reliable the better your opponent is

unless ur regularly getting top 5 at tournaments, your fundamentals are probably sub-par and the reason you're losing

Last edited:

cparks1000000

Smash Rookie
^ I said that I agreed with what you said. The point I made was regarding the meaning behind ORLy's post.

Last edited:

Turazrok

Smash Master
Spacing and punish game kiddos. I wish my punish game was better.

Cuban Pete

King of the Rumba Beat
I think I'ma spend a few days in the lab learning some tech. Anyone mind sharing some tech they regularly use that I can start working on other than wavelanding/dashing, L Canceling, and DACUS?

Got another tournament coming up on the 27th of this month so I wanna try to be ready.

Last edited:

CyberZixx

Smash Lord
@ Cuban Pete Cuban Pete Wario is not a character where it benifits to grind out a bunch of little techy things. I seen a video of yours and you need work on basic tech like L canceling but Wario overall exceeds on fundamentals and solid understand of his design and match ups. It is why I like the character so much. Character has a lot of options, none of which are especially polirizing nor does he have a straight forward punish game so I recommend learn the little in and outs of Wario over grinding tech skill like you played Fox or Squirtle.

0RLY

A great conversation filler at bars and parties
ofc there are no high-level matches without reads

because they are high-level and that means both players have a

most players are not high-level

trust me i'm a read-based player and i suck because of it

reaction speed and actually playing the matchup is way more important than subjectively "reading" what the opponent will do, it's basically a guess that gets less reliable the better your opponent is

unless ur regularly getting top 5 at tournaments, your fundamentals are probably sub-par and the reason you're losing
My apologies, I just assumed players were at a high level of play.

When I say make reads, predictions, reactions, etc. I mean to do that in addition to how you would normally play. Exactly as you said, "playing the match up". This wasn't implied by my last post and I admit my faults. The thing about reads is, as you get better as a player, the more accurate your reads become. The better you'll get at reading minds. If your read was wrong, you'll be able to notice your mistake and take note of it. As opposed to just getting outplayed. It's much easier to learn from your own mistakes to get better than to think "I have no idea what I did wrong -or- I don't know why I'm losing". I regularly get top 2 at my locals in Philly.

Turazrok

Smash Master
Clash tournaments uploaded a bunch of vids from early June.

Jreed real good damn, makes mario look free, I hate that mu.

CyberZixx

Smash Lord
Hey, Strong bad. I find I get dash grab because I messed up a JC grab or a DACUS more than I do it on purpose. Still having another options don't hurt, I just gotta be more consistent.

Turazrok

Smash Master
Hey, Strong bad. I find I get dash grab because I messed up a JC grab or a DACUS more than I do it on purpose. Still having another options don't hurt, I just gotta be more consistent.
Happens to me so often lol.

I get the gatling combo more than I get dacus on purpose ;;

Mr.Pickle

Smash Lord
Try using attack instead of grab when you dacus. That way you'll only get a dash attack if you fail, as opposed to a dash grab/dash attack.

And howdy strong bad

Last edited:

DirtyRoach

Smash Cadet
On the topic of DACUS-ing, how fast do I need to input the attack? I was messing with it a little earlier and just couldn't get it to happen. I figure I'm just terrible at it, but I just cant make it happen

Cuban Pete

King of the Rumba Beat
I think you need to input it like right after you start the dash attack. not sure though as I can't do it consistantly. I did however find that replacing Z with attack and switching my unused jump button to grab made it easier :D

DirtyRoach

Smash Cadet
I was told you can use Z to input it anyway. Though I tried with A and still couldn't do it. I suppose I could try changing my L (a button I never push) to a spare attack button and see if I can do it with one hand. Gotta get my wii back first, though

Cuban Pete

King of the Rumba Beat
Ok so. Every time I play against people as Wario people always say "stop playing such a gimmicky character" or "Side B is so broken if He didn't have it he'd be terrible".

They then accuse me of SPAMMING his shoulder when I'm just using it either as movement (to maybe get a tomahawk out with his Bite) or using it when It's guaranteed (i.e. edgeguarding).

wat do?

It upsets me that people would accuse everyone's favorite fat plumber of being gimmicky.

Last edited:
Top Bottom