• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Gunner Style Discussion

Kenturo

Smash Cadet
I don't know why no one has found this yet but gunner has Hoo-Ha.

Edit: Lmao I though this **** wasnt but its guaranteed regardless of DI

Last edited:

Kenturo

Smash Cadet
So Mii gunner and all the other Miis have this weird thing where they slide if they hold a direction when they land. Could be useful for some.

Last edited:

moofpi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
moofpi
3DS FC
0473-8866-3506
So Mii gunner and all the other Miis have this weird thing where they slide if they hold a direction when they land. Could be useful for some.
Especially if they're charging grenades as they land, they can keep sliding off platforms and everything. It's pretty great

moofpi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
moofpi
3DS FC
0473-8866-3506
Do we have any video footage of tournament play?

@ san. san. ?
Yeah let me find it later, I walked into a good Wii Fit vs Mii Gunner GF the other day but he switched characters. I'm pretty sure he went Gunner through most of the tourament though

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
When I played, it wasn't on my wii u so I never bothered saving anything.

Cress!

Keep your chin up!
Switch FC
2396-9345-5408
I've tried out Gunner more since the Splatoon outfits were announced, and I really like the playstyle! I'm currently using 1/4 height and max weight, with the moveset 3321. (I looked at the customs thread for a while before deciding.) But what are some general tips? Like kill options, combos, grab uses, etc?

GS3K

Smash Ace
NNID
Gamestar3000
I've tried out Gunner more since the Splatoon outfits were announced, and I really like the playstyle! I'm currently using 1/4 height and max weight, with the moveset 3321. (I looked at the customs thread for a while before deciding.) But what are some general tips? Like kill options, combos, grab uses, etc?
I suggest giving this guide a read.

http://smashboards.com/guides/detailed-mii-gunner-guide.300/

moofpi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
moofpi
3DS FC
0473-8866-3506
Hey GS3K, you seem to be one of the only knowledgable and seemingly veteran Mii Gunners I see on this board. Do you play in tournies or anything? I'd like to see some videos of someone more familiar with Gunner than myself. I'm beating my friends and impressing myself in hype matches, but I'd like to see what Gunner can REALLY do when you know him/her like the back of your hand.

GS3K

Smash Ace
NNID
Gamestar3000
Hey GS3K, you seem to be one of the only knowledgable and seemingly veteran Mii Gunners I see on this board. Do you play in tournies or anything? I'd like to see some videos of someone more familiar with Gunner than myself. I'm beating my friends and impressing myself in hype matches, but I'd like to see what Gunner can REALLY do when you know him/her like the back of your hand.
I haven't been able to, though I would if I could.

GS3K

Smash Ace
NNID
Gamestar3000
So apparently this is a thing now -

Last edited:

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
I'm 90% sure this has always been a thing, he just did it super fast.

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
You can B-reverse right after shooting the grenade. There are also time periods where you're aiming 1 way but it doesn't show it on the screen. You just performed a grounded B-reverse, it just didn't show you aiming to the right by the time it released.

GS3K

Smash Ace
NNID
Gamestar3000
Here's something highly impractical - jump + bomb + footstool + dunkcannon

While you can barely see the footstool here, it's what keeps Mario from getting knocked back from the bomb blast.

Here's it slowed down. You can kinda see the footstool (pay close attention to Mario), but it happens quick before the up+b

moofpi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
moofpi
3DS FC
0473-8866-3506
Here's something highly impractical - jump + bomb + footstool + dunkcannon

While you can barely see the footstool here, it's what keeps Mario from getting knocked back from the bomb blast.

Here's it slowed down. You can kinda see the footstool (pay close attention to Mario), but it happens quick before the up+b

Do you follow someone on Vine or something for these?

GS3K

Smash Ace
NNID
Gamestar3000
Nah, I made those gifs. The video I pulled from YouTube.

Last edited:

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
If you time it right, you can get an upsmash out of the grenade at low percents. At high percents, you can just dtilt or utilt before the last hit of the grenade, and they'll be launched with the utilt/dtilt knockback (actually seems like a little more).

Usmash misses if you are too close to the opponent/if the opponent is too low. The lower inside hitbox sends them even more inward, causing it to miss by the last two hits. This can be problematic if you're performing a running usmash as well. Running Usmash is okay if you hit them with the max horizontal reach. If they're close, you may need to hold the charge a bit.

GS3K

Smash Ace
NNID
Gamestar3000
I've been testing out using attack on the right/c stick for gundash tilts (I use the gamepad because I have no other options >.<).

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
You're doing something wrong if you aren't using attack stick with this character IMO.

moofpi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
moofpi
3DS FC
0473-8866-3506
Yeah, he's such a mobile character that you don't want to lose aerial momentum with smash c-stick, especially with gundashing, and his tilts are really quick and good anyway. Dtilt blows them away, Up tilt is crazy quick and effective, and Ftilt is a good get-off-me move.

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
The only thing I would regret missing is walking into dsmash, however walking into utilt is great, too.

GS3K

Smash Ace
NNID
Gamestar3000
Which sets would you say would be the most effective at fighting custom ledgestalling villager?

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
Villager is very dependent on a lot of projectiles, so I would guess the Reflector would be a good pick outside of the general set.

moofpi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
moofpi
3DS FC
0473-8866-3506
Which sets would you say would be the most effective at fighting custom ledgestalling villager?
Villager is very dependent on a lot of projectiles, so I would guess the Reflector would be a good pick outside of the general set.
Reflector would be very important, especially with his slingshot spam from the ledge and that when the reflector actually reflects something there is almost no end lag to the move.

But also keep in mind the bombs. Their special trajectory is crucial on a ledge stalling No-skillager since they lose their ledge invincibility. Yes it could be argued that grenades have a similar trajectory/effect and cover that situation, but I feel it's more telegraphed than the bomb which can slip out so discreetly during movements. Also I don't know if the bomb gets launched back at you after being pocketed, but I assume a grenade would.

Either way, keep grenades on neutral B.

I would keep the Up-B that launches up with a punch and dunks down with the boots. If you happen to get on the ledge when he's grabbed it without invincibility and you do a grounded Up-B, it extends the hitbox on the ledge allowing for a big opportunity to meteor him.

Also the PK Fire Side-B would be good for walling out projectiles for a moment or also to run to ledge > reverse Side-B>ledge grab for a trump > follow up if the counter sapling disappears before he reacts. I feel like missiles could get pocketed too easily or beaten by other projectiles.

metroidfan987

Smash Cadet
Gunner is the best imo. Tbh, I haven't tested my set against human players yet, but I have been testing against Lv 9 cpus and two of my Amiibos. I have Mario, Bowser, Pikachu, and Sonic currently. My main set is grenade, missiles (thinking of switching to flame pillar), Lunar Launch, and Bomb Drop. The only cpu that gave me trouble so far was Mario, mainly because of his cape disrupting my CC moves. Yoshi was kinda smart too, but so far most of the other cpus get stumped by the erratic patterns of the grenades and bombs lol. As for the amiibos, I tested Sonic and Bowser. Sonic is scary, but I still manage to keep him at bay with well-timed grenades and bombs. But the Bowser amiibo doesn't do very well. My Bowser amiibo currently has the habit of spamming his fireball, so I switched to Absorbing Vortex and actually managed to shut him out in a stock match lol.

As for the Brawler and Swordfighter - the brawler has strong attacks, but pitiful range, and the swordfighter is the worst. Due to the Mii's small size, the sword attacks do not have the range a swordfighter should have, and the smash attacks do not have as much knockback as the gunner and brawler's smash attacks.

GS3K

Smash Ace
NNID
Gamestar3000
Here's a funny thing, you can footstool off opponents trapped in grenade blasts.

GS3K

Smash Ace
NNID
Gamestar3000
I'm trying to find a use for this footstool shine. And also, I've been very footstool-happy recently, I need to stop that.

If your timing is off, this happens.

I figured if you have a fully charged charge shot, you could try to shine them off near the edge in KO percents, then try to hit them with a charge shot/dtilt while they recover.

Last edited:

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
That's definitely quite interesting. I'm trying to learn more kill setups. I'm liking using homing missile against airborne opponents. Grenade can also be combod out of, but it takes some setting up. Jab cancels are also positional since utilt has such little horizontal range and jab-> dtilt may need to be frame perfect.

Saw BlueTerrorist's Gunner in videos, it is indeed improving steadily :)

BlueTerrorist

Smash Ace
Vids or it didn't happen.

Por favor.
I wasn't on stream a lot so I only have losing matches and not me doing good in other matches.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdAdoGaGpds&list=PLz7rkkbQbM0nC9vmTJPANWgaMoFumY7ER&index=14 Vs. WFT (John Numbers)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haL3RYodNeQ&index=19&list=PLz7rkkbQbM0nC9vmTJPANWgaMoFumY7ER Vs Lucario/HelpR (1st match only... Though I probably should have stayed Gunner).

This was my 2nd tourney with Gunner. Been told to drop Sonic and Greninja for Gunner because some felt my Gunner was my best character. Regardless, I should rely on Fair a lot more. My poking and baiting was more safer than using nades predominately. I don't think I used Gundashing as well as I hoped, I'm pretty sure I can be more mobile than this. Killing is hard with this character admittedly but I've been working on it.

My Gunner is improving fast I feel. The next major one is Smash Attack at Next Level. Hope I can get my Gunner on Team Spooky's stream at some point :3.

Last edited:
Top Bottom