• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide Guide to Weilding the REAL Triforce of Wisdom

So, how good/bad is my FAQ?

• It roxorz my soxorz

Votes: 201 45.1%
  • It's good

Votes: 150 33.6%
  • It's decent

Votes: 50 11.2%
  • Dude, this sucks

Votes: 45 10.1%

• Total voters

Zone

Smash Champion
I use up-air roughly 2-3 times a match. Back when I use to play Zelda anyways. It has it's uses, and there are openings in which you can use them. And sometimes it can even be your kill move off of up throw.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
mmmm Dark Hart is right...
Zelda's Uair is bad.

But it should definitely be a good move :\
It seems like it should be a great kill move... but its not.

Zelda's Dair should be a spike that has the same speed/knockback of her bair, but downwards.

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
Ganon's utilt is actually really good at killing, though...so that analogy fails

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
Are we talking about Ganon's utilt, or Zelda's uair? I think we're talking about two different things.

GKInfinity

Smash Champion
I'm with Zone. Zelda's upair is not a good move but there are situations where it's useful. I probably use it once, maybe two times per match. I use it more as a defensive move though (not even to hit necessarily but just to protect against approaches from above me). You can get kills with it but it's pretty rare. Depends on what character you're fighting against/what stage you're on.

Zone

Smash Champion
Wow, thank you GK.

It's far from useless, there are times during combos and situations where kick will not work. And I've gotten kills off of up throw up air on spacies because they were too high for my kick to reach them.

You guys need to experiment more.

:phone:

Also as an alternative approach. When your opponent rolls toward the edge of a platform. And you can't kick in time you can try waveband grab an hope their fear is large enough to stay in shield.

Or you can up air, ( pushes them off the ledge into you l-cancelled uptilt or grab depending on character.

There are a bunch of situations an seeing these posts makes me want to make a video to show you guys but I'm a bit lazy to do that for a character I dropped.

Dark Hart

Rejected by Azua
I only use it for like 'upthrow -> uair -> kick' on like spacies, or to scare people with giant explosions that do nothing because ya know, that's pretty much what it is. Zelda's not good enough to be wasting time on useless moves

Then again I use nayru's offensively...

Zone

Smash Champion
Ok man it's not a great tool by any means but if you want to limit yourself that's all on you.

It's still a tool and there are situations where up air is favorable over kicks.

Dark Hart

Rejected by Azua
I'm not limiting myself

I'm just choosing not to condone a ****ty option

not that I don't use it

but Zelda's uair is like the 'no right turn on red' lane when you're late to that important thing, and it has a 4 minute timer since the sensors don't care about your lane, and you're just sitting there realizing the going through that shopping center to your right would've been so much faster but now you're stuck

that's zelda's uair

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
Lol. Fairly good analogy in my opinion. Honestly, though I don't see a need to use it. I only even throw it out when I'm comboing (Dash attack into something), and it'll fit, or maybe I'll try it to stop platform camping. But I think it's one of her least used moves.

I can't believe that I can still get away with Nayru's love OoS with the people I play with...

D

Deleted member

me and my roommate were bored so we turned off the neutrals and turned everything else on. i killed him with zelda to falco, upair > upair > upair on peach's castle.

then i changed my underwear.

Soloist

Smash Ace
U-air is a totally unnecessary move.

But I do use it when dropping through platforms sometimes, or if someone is at a redonkulously high percent like DH said.

Edit: That is some great stuff right there Umbreon lol

GKInfinity

Smash Champion
It's far from useless, there are times during combos and situations where kick will not work. And I've gotten kills off of up throw up air on spacies because they were too high for my kick to reach them.
This sums it up exactly. If your opponent is above you in the air and you can't hit with a kick, this is your only option that will actually connect. It may not kill or lead to a combo or anything, but if nothing else it's extra damage. When I'm using it offensively it's generally when my opponent is on the top platform of BF, YS, or FoD and I'm below them on the ground.

Here's a specific example. For those who don't know there's a player named Pink Shinobi was a super campy peach main (he doesn't play anymore as far as I know). The two times I played him in tournament he would camp the top platform with peach and if you jumped up to approach he would either dsmash or float>some aerial move. I ended up using uair against him constantly with zelda. Peach is way too slow to do anything if the uair misses, and you can hit peach with it without worrying about getting dsmashed/naired/whatever because the hitbox appears over her head.

Bing

Smash Master
lol Pink Shinobi.Too Good. And yes, thank you for support. Uair is a good move, especially because I like using Zelda on Yoshi's (pretty sure this is bad) but uair kills pretty well :p

Anyways. So my question was how does the hitbox of Uair work. I cant seem to get the timing down :(

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
Ganon's utilt is actually really good at killing, though...so that analogy fails
point was this:
it can kill, but there is rarely a time in actual play where it would be a legitimate option.
Analogy does not fail, you just didn't understand what I was saying.

GKInfinity

Smash Champion
lol Pink Shinobi.Too Good. And yes, thank you for support. Uair is a good move, especially because I like using Zelda on Yoshi's (pretty sure this is bad) but uair kills pretty well :p

Anyways. So my question was how does the hitbox of Uair work. I cant seem to get the timing down :(
Don't get me wrong, uair is a pretty bad move lol. I'm just pointing out that it does have its uses and that it's not totally worthless. As far as the timing goes though... it's kinda hard to explain. It's kinda slow on start up so you've gotta factor that in obviously, but really you've just gotta experiment with it until you get it right. As with anything in the game, you've just gotta play friendlies and practice against cpus to learn how to use it effectively. Standardtoaster posted the gif of the move above if you wanna see when the hitbox is out

Zone

Smash Champion
Don't get me wrong, uair is a pretty bad move lol. I'm just pointing out that it does have its uses and that it's not totally worthless. As far as the timing goes though... it's kinda hard to explain. It's kinda slow on start up so you've gotta factor that in obviously, but really you've just gotta experiment with it until you get it right. As with anything in the game, you've just gotta play friendlies and practice against cpus to learn how to use it effectively. Standardtoaster posted the gif of the move above if you wanna see when the hitbox is out
Yes this, It's not as useless as Ganon's Uptilt (which could still have a purpose in teams)

But it's not a Marth Upair, it's not a Falcon upair, it's not a GAnon up air, It might even be the WORSE up-air in the game. but that doesn't deter the fact, that it has situational uses where it's the best option, and you're fooling yourself if you don't htink so. I don't see how a disjointed hitbox up-air could ever be 100% useless. Especially since I already gave 2 examples of it's usefulness.

Someone in this thread even "Called it useless" then proceeded to share a couple times they use it. Look up the definition of useless please.

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
I think I legitimately pulled off an uthrow > uair on a G&W the other day. It was lolzy.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
hmm... Zelda's uair is pree bad, but I don't know if its the worst...
ICs also have a bad one.
And I'm sure there is some other weird character who I always forget is in the game who has a worse uair.

Zelda's just blows really hard.

Ganon's utilt also has a few uses, just btw. Puff slayer, Great in team combos, can be used to edgeguard (hard to land though).

GKInfinity

Smash Champion
ICs uair actually isn't a bad move.

Ganon's utilt, however, sucks horribly lol. You can use it to kill a puff that just missed a rest but one of his other moves (either fully charged forward smash or warlock punch) is basically just as good of an option as I recall. I can't imagine how you'd actually use it in a team combo and I don't really see how you'd edgeguard with it either. There are TONS of much better options for edgeguarding anyway. It's a terrible move.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
no. Its not a good move. definitely not a "REALLY good" move.
its just like "hurrdurr hammer"
doesn't do crap.

D

Deleted member

ic's non-nair air game is amazing.

but zelda still ***** it badly.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
you guys are crazy. ICs have trash aerials.

anyway, computer DI is funny. I did NeutralB -> fair (offstage)... how the **** does that work?

Dark Hart

Rejected by Azua
I mean... I live <5 min away from the best IC player in NC...

I could always ask him what he thinks of uair

Or the other IC in NC who lives 10 minutes away, PLUR

Or Chu if he shows up with boss tomorrow

Ya know

IC mains

Edit: for the record I've gotten that combo on people before...

Top Bottom