• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide To Re-Spray Painting your controllers for melee(Updated 4/3/07)

Undrwings

Smash Rookie
hmmm

seems that modifying the controllers is almost too much work because they wear out too fast. Some seem to wear out after only about 50 hours. Oh well, does lok cool.

element_of_fire

Smash Lord
seems that modifying the controllers is almost too much work because they wear out too fast. Some seem to wear out after only about 50 hours. Oh well, does lok cool.

painted four controllers over a year ago and they've gone to many tournies, paint hasn't faided a bit

Flamestar666

Smash Lord
Stimpy said:
Okay, I sprayed on the primer, tomorrow i'll add my fav. color..RED.
*cough*biter

lol, jk...

but i wanted to mention, that if you wanna paint the analogs i suggest you paint them with plastic paint, wait 2 days, peel it off, and either dyt it or leave it showing

Eaode

Smash Champion
Lol, I'm not gonna modify my GC controller ever. I might modify my Wii controller or the "standard shell" when I get it.

What if you used painter's tape and painted the top half of each shell red, and the bottom half of each shell white? Leave the start button grey, and paint the buttons and sticks to match the side they're on. Red on top, White on bottom, grey circle in the middle and you'd have yourself a pokeball!

Eaode

Smash Champion
yeah, but i mean have both the top and bottom shell be split by color, so you have the start button in the middle like a pokeball.

EDIT: I don't think this topic will ge sticky because it's not about Melee

lord_of_destruction

Smash Rookie
if ever i paint mine i'm gonna put a metallic red as a base, then put a tribal cut-out put on top, then cover the whole thing in metallic dark blue

CRAZY :psycho:

Falco&Victory

Smash Champion
I just made an awesome controller.I would post a pic,but no access to digital camera.It is bright redish gold on top,and the bottom is a shiny baby blue.Also,I replaced my f***ed up jostick.WOOHOO!Thnx.I got pissed off on several occasions.I nearly popped a stress ball at one point.

D

Deleted member

How the hell do you remove the L and R triggers?

My controller is open, and everything's going fine, but I don't know how to remove these...do I unscrew?

D

Deleted member

I can see the spring, but I have to look underneath... doesn't matter anyway, I just put some tape over it and painted over

D

Deleted member

I want to thank everyone who was involved with making this guide, my controller looks sexy (blood red)

Just to let people know, I used a 2mm flathead screwdriver to open it, and I used special paint for plastics that required no previous sanding or priming. Then I used a lacquer for gloss (same effect as clear coat)

Looks sexy as hell. I'll post pics later

For anyone who is scared: It's pretty **** simple. The hardest part for me was opening the **** thing.

Falco&Victory

Smash Champion
One thing that pisses me off bout all nitendo systems is the triple etched screws.I had to use a pocket knife to unscrew it,since my family is,well,nvrmnd.Anyway,I replaced those screws with regular screw of equal size,lol.

Flamestar666

Smash Lord
Falco&Victory said:
One thing that pisses me off bout all nitendo systems is the triple etched screws.I had to use a pocket knife to unscrew it,since my family is,well,nvrmnd.Anyway,I replaced those screws with regular screw of equal size,lol.
you're lying... you woudn't be able to get a nife that fat down, and if you did somehow get in in there, the knife would break

Uli

Smash Champion
how should the controller look like after the first sanding and the second, and can u post a pic or something?

Sizzle

I paint controllers
Umm if you look on the first post, you can kinda see my controller sanded but its not really a good shot. MZero, you can use a 1.8 mm screwdriver for that part as well. All it takes is unscrewing those little black plate things off and then taking the triggers out.

Flamestar666

Smash Lord
if they have black plates., newer ones don't.

i suggest you open the plate with a screw driver, and squeeze the triggeer in and "roll" it out towards the top of the controller.

that's how i did mine.

Numbuh 214

Smash Apprentice
I think this will be a great way to spend time with my dad. A couple of ideas I have if you were curious:

1. Nostalgia 1: N64 (dull gray shell, blue A button, green B button, red Start button, yellow X,Y, and Z buttons, dark gray shoulder buttons, all but the top surface of the C-Stick painted gray like the controller)

2. Nostalgia 2: SNES (dull gray shell and sticks, dark purple A & B, light purple X & Y) (optional: swap D-pad with control stick)

I know the optional part for the second one would go beyond "cosmetic" modifications, but that's why it's optional!!

Fliperotchy

Smash Journeyman
my friend wants to know if he could do something like this...

hes in an electronics class, and he was thinking about making a shell for his gamecube controller that looks like an N64 controller. he was wondering if that would be allowed. he would just technically be using a normal gamecube controller, but it would be shaped like an N64 one.

TheMerchant

Smash Cadet
or could i possibly be able to stuff a gamecube controller's guts into other shells like maybe an xbox controller shell or a dreamcast one?

Marthsmasher

Smash Cadet
TheMerchant said:
or could i possibly be able to stuff a gamecube controller's guts into other shells like maybe an xbox controller shell or a dreamcast one?
Yeah, but only if you want kicked out in tournaments. (Although they may let you by, but it seems like a fairly large cosmetic change to me.)

D

Deleted member

MZero17 said:
Screwdriver came, but I can't get the L and R triggers out >_>

Just cover all the screw holes, the triggers, the shoulders, everything you don't think should be painted, cover it with duct tape. Works fine.

Top Bottom