• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide to Competitive Battling

Niiro

Smash Ace
That's beside the point though, isn't it? :p

UltiMario was bringing up how Slowbro is arguably the best Machamp counter as of current.
Really? I thought he was arguing that Slowbro should be OU because he is water-type, and because he is a decent Machamp counter.

Cubes

Smash Cadet
Well, when you resist dynamicpunch, resist confusion, and aren't even 2HKO'ed by Payback (thank you for being so slowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww, slowbro), I'd say you're better than a decent counter.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
He fills tons of roles well, he no other Pokemon can claim the Machamp-countering, TWave spreading, and instant recovery all at once, AND supply as a bulky water for the F/W/G core.

:D

He's useful on any team looking for ways to deal with Machamp. :3

Also factoring in leftovers, Slwobro is what, 4HKO'd by packback, of which you can easily Slack Off?

Niiro

Smash Ace
He fills tons of roles well, he no other Pokemon can claim the Machamp-countering, TWave spreading, and instant recovery all at once, AND supply as a bulky water for the F/W/G core.

Also factoring in leftovers, Slwobro is what, 4HKO'd by packback, of which you can easily Slack Off?
Cressie can do that, except for the Bulky water part.

And I really don't think anyone good at Pokemon will keep in Machamp against a Slowbro long enough for you to do anything to him.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Cressie can do that, except for the Bulky water part.
Bulky water without Water-typing? There's a reason Cresselia isn't OU; ****ty typing. Slowbro resists Water and Fire, making it a great teammate with Shaymin, Celebi, Heatran, Infernape, etc.

(actually, the real reason Cresselia isn't OU is Tyranitar)

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Eh.

Sand MIGHT become a broken weather in Gen V, so if TTar is banned...

Hello wonderful.

Blissard

Smash Lord
I haven't played for awhile, but is Scizor still OU? Last I played, everyone seemed to have a Scizor with Swords Dance, Bullet Punch, Superpower, and Roost. And what moveset Slowbro are we talking about? Surf, Ice Beam, Slack Off, Calm Mind, max HP and DEF? If Slowbro played bulky water, Toxic or Calm Mind Blissey would dominate it...

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Scizor sucks now that MENCE got banned and Heatran is the most common thing in the game. Also, most Scizor were CB Scizor, and had Bug Bite/X-Scissor over Roost if they WERE SD.

We're talking about Slack Off/TWave/Surf/Slot that is usually Ice Beam.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
It's probably very, very important to note that no one would have mentioned Slowbro if Machamp wasn't a very popular lead.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
It wouldn't have been mentioned because it would do anything that say, Starmie couldn't do.

Well now it does.

The metagame changes, Pokemon rise and fall to deal with the top threats. Slowbro is no exception to that rule. If Mence were banned to Ubers since day 1, you think Scizor would have a legacy like he does today? No.

Cubes

Smash Cadet
Maybe not, but 90 Base priority off 130 attack is still sexy as hell, and weak to only one type? I'll tear me off a piece of that Scizor pie anyday.

Also, confusehax screws cressie over, the main reason slowbro is such a good counter is immunity to confusion.

Blissard

Smash Lord
Yeah Scizor is still pretty good, but as UltiMario has informed me, Heatran is now widely used, and unless you're willing to bullet punch a Heatran, it's going to fry you (choice scarf equipped as I recall?). Of course, you could always switch to some UU Flashfire sweeper to take the lava plume or whatever, or if you predict that your opponent is going to predict that you'll switch and has their Heatran use Earth Power instead, Scizor could use Superpower.

As for Slowbro, it's still UU because it's...underused. Obviously, right? I feel outdated, common leads when I played were Aerodactyl, Skarmory, Starmie, Swampert, Crobat, and Jolteon. If only my brother hadn't water-logged my DS...

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
I feel outdated, common leads when I played were Aerodactyl, Skarmory, Starmie, Swampert, Crobat, and Jolteon. If only my brother hadn't water-logged my DS...
Then just use Pokemon Online/Shoddy Battle

Srsly

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Quick Claw isn't actually banned, people just don't use it because it sucks.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
It depends on the Gen.

Soul Dew and certain berries are banned in Gen V.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
I think Chustap Berry is unobtainable in Gen V, but if it is banned then PO doesn't know it since I see it all the time.

alamaster

Smash Journeyman

Actually, Spiritomb can counter Machamp pretty nicely and is somewhat decent on stall teams. I don't ever really use either however, I typically just barrel straight through Machamp with offensive hits until he goes down. Jirachi is pretty good at checking Machamp from what I've seen, it can take it down with 2 Psychics and D punch does something like 30% to bulkier ones.

bryu_1337

Smash Journeyman
there are plenty of banned hold items if we're talking about smogon rules. quick claw, soul dew, and lagging tail are just a few. some berries are banned because they are unobtainable except through action replay or somthing like that. I know one of those berries came on an event arceus a while back though.

gen v is where it's at though. PO is the best simulator, imo. I don't like shoddy

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
Ehh. Soul Dew is irrelevant since it's basically the Azure Flute of Gen. V.

I do not know if a revamped guide will ever exist with Riddle leaving the boards, haha.

Staz

Smash Lord
I have been playing pokemon my whole life.

Working on my dream team.

NEVER got competitive with this game, but now I'm turning over a new leaf.

I only own Soul Silver, Fire Red, Ruby, Sapphire, Emerald, Platinum, and XD.

*suscribes*

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Replying to 11 month old posts and being wrong is even worse.

:phone:

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Doesn't seem like this needs to be open for comments anyway. To prevent stuff like this in the future, I'll just lock the thread...Riddle, if you ever want to make any changes to the guide, PM me and I can do it.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Due to this being extremely out-of-date, I'm de-stickying it and unlocking it for any discussion. If anybody is up for updating this feel free to create a new thread, but I don't think this one will do too much good since all but the basic info is still based on the 4th gen metagame.

Top Bottom