• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide to Competitive Battling

Cubes

Smash Cadet
Wynaut is banned from the mindset of the era that all Pokemon were grandfathered into the tier their highest forms were put in. By the same logic, Gible was OU or Uber was well. When they allowed NFEs into UU, Wynaut was still under this effect that all other Pokemon were let free from seeing as it was allowed in UU but banned in OU because the effect had only taken place in UU. Since this was a paradox of being banned in one tier but not a higher tier, it simply was banned altogether with no testing, since the main concern at the time was UU, rather than suspect testing Wynaut.

It was banned without testing due to a stupid tradition Smogon used to have, and for some reason, even though the tradition has died, Wynaut is still being held captive by it.
I agree, smogon has stupid traditions, and that Wynaut shouldn't be banned (it's not nearly so game-breaking when you consider how strong sweepers are in OU). Also what's funny is that it is seemingly NOT banned in little cup lol.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
It's because Wynaut is decent at wrecking stall.

There is no such thing in Little Cup.

Deathfox30

Smash Journeyman
Most Kyogre are Choice. One bad prediction = Parasect coming in on a Waterspout/Surf and getting a free Spore on what you switch to.

Diglett is amazing in NU. It's godly 10 HP and 25 Def compensate for it's poor movepool and discourage priority moves. Totally outclasses Vibrava, TR Trapinch, and even Quagsire.

I guarantee Diglett will be UU someday, rather is be from me playing so many matches it shows up as like 40% in usage statistics or if everyone finally comes to their senses. Join meh! Diglett shall be ignored no longer!

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Mkay you're just trolling with the Diglett thing.... unless you honestly forgot Dugtrio exists.

Also, I'd just like to mention that Kyogre has to suspect Palkia or Latias in, so it's not ALWAYS going to blindly Surf. You think you're the only player with a brain, and everyone else is going to mindlessly use moves like CPUs. No, they're not.

Also, Quagsire is one of the best Pokemon in NU. Lololololo

Deathfox30

Smash Journeyman
Dugtrio is UU. I'd always use Diglett over Dutrio just like I almost always use Snover over Abomasnow in OU Hail teams. ^-^ Obviously they're outclassed in every respect by their evolved forms, but it's moar funner.

Well, if I'm Swampert, the CPU might Thunder Wave as Celebi. Against a real opponent this could be a very good move, crippling Skarmory on the switch because he was expecting Leaf Storm. Blissey is already dead. I critted her with HP Dragon.

>

Wrath`

Smash Master
Dugtrio is UU. I'd always use Diglett over Dutrio just like I almost always use Snover over Abomasnow in OU Hail teams. ^-^ Obviously they're outclassed in every respect by their evolved forms, but it's moar funner.

Well, if I'm Swampert, the CPU might Thunder Wave as Celebi. Against a real opponent this could be a very good move, crippling Skarmory on the switch because he was expecting Leaf Storm. Blissey is already dead. I critted her with HP Dragon.

>
To bad Corsola can not come in on a fighting or ground type attack.

Rock/Water is a horrible combination, you should really battle any of us here on the forums to learn some real battling.

Deathfox30

Smash Journeyman
No. Hidden Power Dragon on CB Scizor.

Corsola is cuter. O:

Also, Flying/Fire > Rock/Water > Flying/Steel

I'd like to battle someone. O: I'll use mah Salac Belly Drum Charmander team. >:3

I know Corsola is bad. I know HP Dragon should never be used in competitive play. I know players aren't stupid. lol, I was kidding. >.> (I actually do have a BD Charmander team, though. I use it in OU sometimes and get surprising results, especially when they don't switch out after Bulbasaur Sleep Powder LOOOOL)

Diglett is amazing in NU. It's godly 10 HP and 25 Def compensate for it's poor movepool and discourage priority moves. Totally outclasses Vibrava, TR Trapinch, and even Quagsire.
Obvious sarcasm is obvious.

This is so off topic. o.o Anyway, nice guide.

Just one last thing, Numel is underrated Simple + Stockpile <3

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
This thread only went off-topic because of your posts, Deathfox.

Pokemon that are cute do not have merit over others which are not. If that were true Quagsire would be OU and Infernape would be NU.

You used Hidden Power on a Choice Band Scizor. That alone makes a statement of how you play competitive Pokemon.

Deathfox30

Smash Journeyman
I think your right. O: I sowwy.

Since when is Quagsire cute? Teddiursa for Uber, pl0x

I don't see whats wrong with HP dragon on CB Scizor, it allows me to deal with things that would normally wall me like Celebi, Tyranitar, and Cresselia.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
Since when is Quagsire cute? Teddiursa for Uber, pl0x.
Please stop talking.

I don't see whats wrong with HP dragon on CB Scizor, it allows me to deal with things that would normally wall me like Celebi, Tyranitar, and Cresselia.
Because U-Turn doesn't hit Celebi, Tyranitar, and Cresselia for good damage, and Superpower doesn't hit Tyranitar or anything.

Cubes

Smash Cadet
Quagsire is actually a **** good Kyogre counter. Immune to three of his moves, IB is a 3HKO with specs (4HKO otherwise), and he can even encore for CM/RestTalkers. Plus, Encore, Recover, and 2 decent status makes it not completely useless against other stuff in Ubers.

Riddle

Smash Lord
Quagsire looks good on paper but doesn't actually do anything in real battles other than counter kyogre.

Deathfox30

Smash Journeyman
Quagsire is actually a **** good Kyogre counter. Immune to three of his moves, IB is a 3HKO with specs (4HKO otherwise), and he can even encore for CM/RestTalkers. Plus, Encore, Recover, and 2 decent status makes it not completely useless against other stuff in Ubers.
Can EQ even 5HKO Kyogre? I always like Hitmonlee to take lead Kyogre. It's actually a deceptively good lead. Two Close Combats put Deoxys-e into Rapid Spin KO range. It also outspeeds most lead Kyogre and 2HKO's with Close Combat while being immune to Thunder Wave and living a Surf (with Focus Sash). Non Scarf lead Darkrai switch out a lot too, thinking I'm scarfed. It just can't do much to Bulky Psychics other than Sucker Punch. I know Hitmonlee might not be the best Uber lead by any means, but it's a good anti-lead and shouldn't be overlooked.

For most other Kyogre I just use a specially defensive Bulk Up Dialga or revenge kill it with Jolteon. (Another pokemon who's pretty underrated in uber)

OMG, Terry, only scrubs run U turn, Pursuit, Bullet Punch, Super Power. Good players obviously use SD, Bullet Punch, Roost, HP Dragon. You forgot about Bullet Punch, btw. I think it OHKO's almost all non-babiri Ttar variants. Tyranitar can be a bit tricky, though. If you Bullet Punch, you risk a switch to Magnezone, if you superpower/U turn you risk Fire Blast/Punch, rare as they may be. With all the scarftar running around it's pretty safe to come in and U turn right now, though.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
This guy is nothing compared to Gangsta Kirby.

NOTHING.

It'll take a while for him to break my ignore list.

Can EQ even 5HKO Kyogre? I always like Hitmonlee to take lead Kyogre. It's actually a deceptively good lead. Two Close Combats put Deoxys-e into Rapid Spin KO range. It also outspeeds most lead Kyogre and 2HKO's with Close Combat while being immune to Thunder Wave and living a Surf (with Focus Sash). Non Scarf lead Darkrai switch out a lot too, thinking I'm scarfed. It just can't do much to Bulky Psychics other than Sucker Punch. I know Hitmonlee might not be the best Uber lead by any means, but it's a good anti-lead and shouldn't be overlooked.

For most other Kyogre I just use a specially defensive Bulk Up Dialga or revenge kill it with Jolteon. (Another pokemon who's pretty underrated in uber)

OMG, Terry, only scrubs run U turn, Pursuit, Bullet Punch, Super Power. Good players obviously use SD, Bullet Punch, Roost, HP Dragon. You forgot about Bullet Punch, btw. I think it OHKO's almost all non-babiri Ttar variants. Tyranitar can be a bit tricky, though. If you Bullet Punch, you risk a switch to Magnezone, if you superpower/U turn you risk Fire Blast/Punch, rare as they may be. With all the scarftar running around it's pretty safe to come in and U turn right now, though.
Only one word can sum up my thoughts.

Lolno.

Blissard

Smash Lord
Competitive battling is gay.
I know I'm the third to quote this, but...why exactly are you in a thread titles "Guide to competitive battling" when you find it "gay"? Wrong adjective to use as well.

I'm kind of sad that so many of the UU Pokemon are overlooked, and that most of the poketeams created nowadays have to follow the trendy metagame. I was in 2 individual pokecircles, and they played different styles, so I sent in a rapid-spinning forretress, and the less modernized of the 2 had no spikers DX The Ubers are also slightly cheap (cough Arceus cough...poor Mew is put in it's dust with round 120 base stats against Mew's 100's) and I prefer them banned. And anyone remember the Red/Blue/Yellow version days? Where baton passing didn't exist, and Blizzard had 90 accuracy, and there was the stat "Special" rather than Special Atk and Def?

Ha -_-; I'm even nerdier at pokemon than brawl

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
I like how everyone still thinks Slowbro is UU.

That **** is countering one of the biggest threats in the metagame reliably, Machamp, which no other Pokemon can claim. It also counters the dominant fires of the metagame pretty well (bar like Grass Knot from Nape DX) with Reliable recovery and Twave support.

Slowbro for OU?

Niiro

Smash Ace
I like how everyone still thinks Slowbro is UU.

That **** is countering one of the biggest threats in the metagame reliably, Machamp, which no other Pokemon can claim. It also counters the dominant fires of the metagame pretty well (bar like Grass Knot from Nape DX) with Reliable recovery and Twave support.

Slowbro for OU?
Vaporeon>>>>>

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Slowbro can't baton pass +2 defense, heal others with wish, scout moves with protect, or even phaze out boosts with Roar.
So?

Slowbro can switch into and force out Machamp.

THIS JUST IN, SLOWBRO DOESN'T LEARN PROTECT

Niiro

Smash Ace
So?

Slowbro can switch into and force out Machamp.

THIS JUST IN, SLOWBRO DOESN'T LEARN PROTECT
OH YES. HE CAN FORCE A MACHAMP SWITCH. HE IS SOOOOOO GOOOD.

>aslowbrosetwithprotect
>my face

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
When Machamp jumps to #1 lead and top 3 usage you won't be laughing.

Niiro

Smash Ace
When Machamp jumps to #1 lead and top 3 usage you won't be laughing.
Slowbro can force a Machamp switch, and he could spread much needed tw support across an enemy team, doesn't make him spectacular in my book. Cressie does a much better job of doing that (imo) than Slowbro ever will.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
I thought Machamp already made like top 5 usage.

The only reason Vaporeon is running Protect to begin with is because aside from Wish spreading she lacks a reliable recovery move. What's that? Slowbro's got Slack Off?

Niiro

Smash Ace
I thought Machamp already made like top 5 usage.

The only reason Vaporeon is running Protect to begin with is because aside from Wish spreading she lacks a reliable recovery move. What's that? Slowbro's got Slack Off?
Protect/Wish>Slackoff

imo of course, i just like the ability to wishpass

Top Bottom