• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[GUIDE] Pit's Mirror Shield

NxC

Smash Apprentice
Hey all. Compiling a list of things that you can't block or reflect with Pit's Mirror Shield (down-b). Interesting (or significantly useful) things that can be blocked will also be included.

For the most part, the shield can block all normal attacks that connect with it, and reflect (and change possession) of projectiles. If activated right before connecting with a player, you can reflect the player, much like Mario's cape.

Note: His side-b (angel ring) can also reflect projectiles, but doesn't do anything the mirror shield can't. It will not be included for this reason. It should also be noted that the Angel Ring does not increase the power or velocity of the projectiles that it reflects.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
How the Shield Works

The mirror shield operates on four basic principles:

1) If a non-grab hitbox connects with the shield, the attack is blocked, and Pit is propelled backwards depending on the base knockback of the attack blocked.

2) If a hitbox connects with the shield while it is glittering, the source object of the hitbox is flipped horizontally. (note that projectiles are their own source object). It should be noted that gusting attacks generates "gust boxes" as well, which can also trigger flipping.

3) If a projectile connects with the shield (not a character's hitboxes), Pit says "Nice Try", and the projectile is reflected as if it was a character hitbox connecting with the glittering shield. When projectiles are reflected, their expiration counter is reset to 0 (it will exist for a period of time as if it was released at the point of reflection), and its velocity and knockback is increased to roughly double what it was before. Possession is also swapped with reflection- Any projectiles reflected are treated as Pit's.

4) The shield can be overcome by one of four ways:
  • Intercepting an attack of over 60% damage (unconfirmed, may be based on knockback)
  • If Pit receives knockback (not necessarily damage)
  • If the shield has been held out for 15 seconds
  • If a grab box connects with Pit (grab boxes aren't just normal grabs, these can include things such as bowser's side-b)

Why Should I Care About the Mirror Shield?

• The mirror shield is the only 'true' shield that can be used in the air.
  • It is excellent at gimping recoveries
  • It does not deteriorate, like the bubble shield
  • It is extremely fast to pull out, and in the air has minimal lag after released
  • Creates openings against aggressive opponents if reflected
  • Reflecting projectiles can be a devastating counter, especially against opponents such as Lucario and Samus who already have very powerful projectiles.

Cannot Reflect/Block:

Normal Attacks
  • Grabs
  • Space animal illusions, the middle frames. (hitboxs are omni directional, and connect with Pit)
Final Smashes
  • Link
  • Toon Link
  • Mario
  • Meta Knight (both being "caped" and not caped)
  • Luigi
  • Peach
  • Fox/Falco/Wolf (Landmaster Plowing, Shots, Barrel Roll)
  • Pokemon Trainer
  • Samus
  • Zero Suit Samus
  • Shiek
  • Zelda
  • Yoshi (both attacks, movement)
  • Lucas/Ness
  • Sonic
  • R.O.B
Things That May Seem Unblockable, but are:

• Explosions
    You just have to make sure none of the hitboxes of the explosion connect with Pit

Notable Things That Can Be Blocked:

(R) = Reflects with or without Shield Shine
(R*) = Reflects only with Shield Shine (SS)*

Normal Attacks
  • Pikachu's Thunder(down-b) (R)
    If the bolt hits the shield, it will be reflected(though it won't travel anywhere). This applies to both the bolt itself and the "splash" after/if it connects with Pikachu.
  • Captain Falcon's Falcon Punch/Ganon's Warlock Punch (R*)
    This is being noted because if the turnaround punch connects with SS, Captain Falcon/Ganon is flung across the map, much like a super wavedash. In walkoff stages (such as bridge of elden), this is guaranteed lethal for Ganon and almost always lethal for Capt. Falcon.
  • Zelda's Din's Fire (R)
    Reflects, as indicated by 'Nice Try', no matter where it hits the shield in some part of the explosion.
  • Lucas's PK Freeze/Ness's PK Pulse (R)
    Same as Din's Fire.
  • Space animal illusions (R)
    The end of the attack can be reflected and blocked, but not the middle.
  • Space animal reflectors(shines/ down-B) (R*)
  • Gust Effects (R*)
    You can SS gust effects to flip the source character. This includes, but is not limited to, TLink's dair connecting with the ground, Pit's WoI, and Ganondorf's up tilt.
  • Ike's Eruption (B move)
  • Snake's C4 'sticky'
  • Snake's D-Smash mine
    If you slide into the mine with your shield up, you activate it and get thrusted back far enough to avoid the hit.

Final Smashes
  • Pikachu
    If Pikachu's electric ball is heading directly towards you, it blocks with some knockback. However the angling must be perfect, and pikachu will NOT be reflected. If pikachu continues to travel towards you after the block, you're as good as hit.
  • Bowser (R*)
    Bowser, even as Giga Bowser, is no match for the shield if attacking head-on.
  • Pit
    Centurions are blockable, but not reflectable.
  • Wario (R*)
    Probably for the same reason as Giga Bowser, he essentially just becomes a more powerful character. Wario-Man is REDICULOUSLY hard to block in a realistic situation, though.
  • Yoshi (R*)
    Yoshi's flying around can be SS'd (but not blocked).
  • Samus
    All but the last hit of Samus's Zero Laser can be blocked if the shield is angled up, and you are about 'two bowsers' distance away.

Other Notes About the Mirror Shield:
  • When reflecting objects, the projectile's speed and power are increased.
  • It can only withstand attacks of less than ~60% power. (number not completely confirmed)
  • For the above two reasons, if you fire an arrow between two Pits that reflect it back and forth, eventually one will fail, and the pit will take ~60% damage.
  • It has super armor (removes knock back but not damage) if timed correctly.This only works when the shield is pulled out while on the ground. The super armor is omni-directional. See this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITCM_wwimLchis v
  • You can only block things that aren't your own. I.e., you cannot reflect bombs that you throw up in the sky.
  • While the shield is active in the air, Pit maintains usual momentum control. Upon landing, he can carry some of this momentum into a slide in any direction.
  • The shield has less ending lag if used in the air
  • You cannot control a reflected Palutena Arrow- and neither can the person who reflected it.

*: The "shield shine", or for abbreviation purposes "SS" is the glitter effect upon activation of the shield. If the shield is hit while it glitters, it can reflect the attacker as well, if the attacker makes contact with the shield.

**:Explosions distanced from the shield, where only the outside edge of the explosion connects from the shield, will be blocked.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
This is quite useful. I might want to test this today to see if it will work.

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
dude this helps a lot man thanks. ima know what to blaock and waht to evade now

NxC

Smash Apprentice
Glad to know it's being put to use. =D

I added more information from discoveries today, and restructured it a bit.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Pit can also use his Mirror Shield against Ness' PK Flash. It can land directly on him, and he won't be affected. He can also block against Mr. Game & Watch's Down+B. You might also want to watch this video where Pit blocks Samus' Final Smash. You needn't change the information about Samus' Final Smash, though, since Pit gets hit at the last part.

Rogue Pit

Smash Lord
Interesting collection of data but about dins fire the shield will block it if it explodes in front of you or on you but there is a certain spot behind you it doesnt protect. some zeldas know this and will purposely put it behind you for this reason. other than that its all nice thanks 4 the info

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Sir lucario is right. I play against zelda regularly. Din's will hit pit if the center of the explosion is anywhere behind pit. If it's in front, he'll just say "nice try" like you said. Great thread man!

kupo15

Smash Hero
To my knowledge you can't reflect the space animal's Illusion (side B) They always go right through my shield.

Tenki

Smash Hero
Btw, Ganon's reverse Warlock Punch can be treated like Falcon's.

Except if you do it on a walkoff level (like... Bridge of Eldin), he concentrates all his hand energy to form a dark matter booster and flies off-stage faster than Sonic, faster than Wario Man on a motorcycle.

Check it out :x

NxC

Smash Apprentice
I forgot all about this thread, didn't know people still read it. Updated with stuff I've found/things that were posted.

I'd like to mention that I've gotten a "nice try" when Din's Fire explodes behind/on me while I have a shield up. Until I see video proof indicating otherwise, (which will incite investigation on my part) Din's Fire will be marked as reflectable.

Rhyfelwyr

Smash Ace
You have Pikachu's Down-B listed as being blockable, but not reflected. The shield actually does reflect Thunder. The bolt will travel the same direction, but it will now hurt the Pikachu.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
hmm.. ok. I don't really get hit by din's often. It's quite dodgable. Hopefully, in my videos, I'll have some of me failing to relfect a din's from behind.

kupo15

Smash Hero
actually I need to edit what I said. I was able to turn around Wolf's Illusion move. You have to reflect the end of their move, not the in between part. Haven't tried it against Fox/Falco but I don't see how it would be different

FzeroX

Smash Journeyman
I just reflected both fox and falco's illusion, It is just a matter of where they are when the hit box hits the shield. If the are behind then they dont get turned. If they are on/in you or infront of you (end of attack) then they will be reflected. (Note: not sure exact spacing though)

kupo15

Smash Hero
Ok so it is confirmed. I think you have to reflect them when they stop. Thats where I was with Wolf. It will be in one of my Wolf matches soon btw

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Yea, Reflecting the Thunder is very good. It should weaken those annoying spamming rodents a bit.

Ryos4

Smash Lord
Idk about anyone else, but i find that the mirror shield gives you a huge advantage over ike. Once u get him far enough off the edge that he has to use a recovery move hes pretty screwed if u get the timing down. I think it would be great if u would also put a list together of the recoveries you can reflect and how easy it is to reflect.

If you need some help collecting info, ive done some testing before, and reflecting recoveries is a huge part of my pit strategy.

kupo15

Smash Hero
Yea it is very helpful against Ike if they don't sweetspot the edge. The side B isn't 100 percent necessary to flip around because just getting hit by him, then grabbing the ledge is enough to kill him

Ryos4

Smash Lord
Its more fun though. And this way u wont get hurt and theres a better chance of him not getting back.

NxC

Smash Apprentice
Alright, concerning Din's fire arguments, unless someone can post a video stating otherwise:

As long as pit's shield is up the explosion will be reflected. It will remain stationary, but ownership of the hitboxes changes.

This comes from about a half hour of tests, exploding din's all around pit with his shield up. Not a single one connected, and I think I covered all possible 'hits' (or extremely close to it).

kupo15

Smash Hero
Underdog: I was thinking about your troubles with Samus' Zair. Can the shield be used to flip him around? And on that note, how about the other character's tethers that do damage?

EDIT:: Also, I found out that you can shield Snakes C4 planted on you. Didn't know if this was known.

Ryazan

Smash Ace
I guess so, if you're fighting an Earthbound boy and you want to reflect their projectiles but not let them absorb them.

FzeroX

Smash Journeyman
Underdog: I was thinking about your troubles with Samus' Zair. Can the shield be used to flip him around? And on that note, how about the other character's tethers that do damage?.

You can flip a damaging zair. I haven't done TL, but Link can be flipped so I assume that TL can too. When they flip it looks really crazy cause the end part of the zair (ball for Samus, claw for Link) will stay in the same position, but the character flips and the chain part wraps around them.

That is probably the best explanation for it I can give, you have to see it to find out how weird it looks. Also, when you flip them they seem to hover in the air longer, but I am not sure, and currently I have no wii so I can't test it out.

Beo

Smash Apprentice
What does Mirror Shield do against Tilts/jabs/smashes? any difference if the Shield is glittering?

And can we get a video of what it does to Illusion?

also, does it only reverse up bs if it's glittering?

deatscythe6

Smash Rookie
Pit's shield also blocks Marth's FS in the right case at the right time. While I'm not sure if people have already talked about it in some cases, whether or not they have pictures needs to be seen. But, before I even knew this place existed, it happened to me.

Pit blocked Marth's FS: http://youtube.com/watch?v=0ARtqHMLgys

This vid consists of pictures of Pit blocking Marth's fs from four different angles. I wonder if it can be SS'd. I don't have a camera, so if you want the replay I can e-mail the sd file over the net.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
For the Shield blocking Marth's FS thing... I rather sidestep, so you wont take the damage, and its easier to avoid getting killed that way.

Top Bottom